Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New SoB melee unit: Celestian Sacresants

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,070 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

Yeah, the plainness of the shield is a bit odd. Still a very solid model overall.

Celestians are *currently* made from regular sisters, but this article suggests they're soon getting their own dual-build box. I wonder if this means the ranged ones are getting expanded weapon options? If they're getting their own box, they might as well. 

That’s not what the article says, although it’s not worded very clearly. The bit that says regular celestians can be built with it is talking about the Battle Sister box. 

• Arbedark and Brother Lemartes like this

Banjulhu

Banjulhu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts

Just another reason to not take a normal squad of Celestians.

I can see the Bloody Rose getting their rules changed given the rate new melee options are appearing.

• Maschinenpriester likes this

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 390 posts
I like the pavise style to the shield, gives my historical nerd side warm fuzzies, but also not a fan of the colour choice used. The sculpt otherwise is quote nice.

However I can’t help but look at it and think it’s Bladeguard, but for sisters, and for some reason that bothers me along with the Chaplain-esque new HQ. Like they’re replicating marine line for sisters, with just a few tweaks. I’d rather they leaned harder into differences rather than similarities for cool new unit types. Is that unreasonable?
  • RolandTHTG, Lexington, Arbedark and 1 other like this

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,070 posts

I like the pavise style to the shield, gives my historical nerd side warm fuzzies, but also not a fan of the colour choice used. The sculpt otherwise is quote nice.

However I can’t help but look at it and think it’s Bladeguard, but for sisters, and for some reason that bothers me along with the Chaplain-esque new HQ. Like they’re replicating marine line for sisters, with just a few tweaks. I’d rather they leaned harder into differences rather than similarities for cool new unit types. Is that unreasonable?

Marines cover so much ground that any new Sisters unit is probably going to basically feel like a Sisters version of a Marine unit. I mean these have a completely different weapon. 

UtariOnzo

UtariOnzo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 390 posts
That’s true, Marines at this point have everything from knightly duelists and large armoured vehicles, to spooky black ops special forces infantry and tactical aircraft. As I said, it’s just a feeling of similarity and a niggling one at that. Still a nice model though

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 549 posts

I think this is a ridiculous standard to set. Astra Militarum has commissars and Heretic Astartes have Dark Apostles who are both Chaplain like in ways, it doesn’t mean they are copies. Furthermore, Bladeguard aren’t the first sword and board unit in 40k. Discounting TH/SS terminators, Lychguard have been around for like a decade. Every faction will have units similar to another, it doesn’t make them a copy. If Sisters got Frateris Militia it’d be very similar to CSM Cultists, doesn’t mean some fans don’t want FM
  • mithrilforge, Noserenda and War Angel like this
Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 944 posts

Yeah, the plainness of the shield is a bit odd. Still a very solid model overall.

Celestians are *currently* made from regular sisters, but this article suggests they're soon getting their own dual-build box. I wonder if this means the ranged ones are getting expanded weapon options? If they're getting their own box, they might as well. 

That’s not what the article says, although it’s not worded very clearly. The bit that says regular celestians can be built with it is talking about the Battle Sister box. 

Looks like the article's been edited to remove that bit entirely.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

ThePenitentOne

ThePenitentOne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,144 posts
  • Faction: Sisters of Battle

What I would have liked better if the shield would look like the one in the triumph. Maybe there will be some STL files available to fix that. But besides I like it more and more. I wonder if there will be alternative loadout.

I am exited to know more about the new sisters codex as time progresses and more stuff gets teasered.

Objectively, I like the shield in the Triumph a bit better too, but that shield is supposed to represent the Praesidium Protectiva carried by Saint Katherine during her lifetime. It's a priceless relic, and it should be unique. I'm glad that these shields will contrast- it allows the Praesidium to stand alone is the relic that it is.

• Sanctimonius, SkimaskMohawk and Maschinenpriester like this

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,070 posts

It’s the asterisk at the bottom. Comes off from the ‘buy a Battle Sisters Squad today!’

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 628 posts
This is an amazing new model. 10/10. And that's with me not liking the shield, but a swap to some old Bretonnian shields I have lying around will be easy. Just stellar.

Lord Nord

Lord Nord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 944 posts

It’s the asterisk at the bottom. Comes off from the ‘buy a Battle Sisters Squad today!’

Ah - yeah, that IS worded poorly. I'm sure plenty of people read "this kit" in the footnote as a reference to the actual kit being promoted in the article in spite of where the asterisk that actually sent them to the footnote was placed.

• fire golem likes this

I wouldn't even gatekeep you.

Maschinenpriester

Maschinenpriester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 410 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

What I would have liked better if the shield would look like the one in the triumph. Maybe there will be some STL files available to fix that. But besides I like it more and more. I wonder if there will be alternative loadout.

I am exited to know more about the new sisters codex as time progresses and more stuff gets teasered.

Objectively, I like the shield in the Triumph a bit better too, but that shield is supposed to represent the Praesidium Protectiva carried by Saint Katherine during her lifetime. It's a priceless relic, and it should be unique. I'm glad that these shields will contrast- it allows the Praesidium to stand alone is the relic that it is.

Oh I was not aware of that. Thanks for the explanation.
I definitely feel it is still a bit off though.
maybe painting the shield in the colour if the Armour helps to tie it in more with the model.

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,348 posts

Thats cool, love the poleaxe!

Spinsanity

Spinsanity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 918 posts

You misread the announcement:

" grab yourself a Battle Sisters Squad or two today.* "
" * Remember, of course, that you can build standard Celestian Squads with this kit, too "

That last line links back to the previous line about the regulard SoB Battle Sisters Squad box, which as you said can be used to build regular, bolter wielding, Sisters, not the upcoming Celestian Sacresants kit...

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,693 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I think a smaller, arm-strapped buckler could be pretty seamlessly used with a Halberd. Not a tall shield like this, tho. 

Bucklers don't strap to the arm unless you're playing 3rd ed D&D (maybe earlier D&D) which always had weird names for things.

Carring a shield you drop in combat isn't silly. Otherwise you're better off with a spear without an extra heavy axe head. Strapping a shield to your arm is going to limit your mobility so carrying something you can easily drop also has advantages.

Oh man, power halberds? I absolutely adore this.

Wouldn't be surprised if it gets called a power halberd but that's not a halberd, more an extra long pole-axe. A true Halberd is not just any axe on a stick, the blade on a halberd isn't symetrical and has an angle to it. Fantasy games make this mistake all the time but Citadel knows what a real halberd looks like since the old Empire state troops have them.

Realistic halberds are common footsoldier weapons and ornate questionable value halberds are common in museum collections so an innaccurate halberd isn't neccesarily wrong for an elite bodyguard unit. Calling that axe a halberd will still be more correct than those (not at all) glaive encarmines Blood Angels use.

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 12 April 2021 - 04:44 PM.

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,131 posts
Really love this model, pretty excited to see what else they come up with.

Arkaniss

Arkaniss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,639 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Sacred Rose

Melee equipped Celestians have long been wanted so it's very nice to see them arrive and look so good! I'm not bothered by a Halberd/Shield combo it's not the first time GW have done such a thing (probably not the last either) and besides, who doesn't like a good Halberd on a model? :D

Great news that Celestians get their own box too so they will stand out a bit from normal Sisters. I've yet to tackle the new plastics but I feel like the time is coming where I have to get started so I can catch up with all these model additions! I am sad for my metal Sisters but it was always inevitable that they'd be phased out. They just don't hold up scale-wise to what's become a large model range.

davextreme

davextreme

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 58 posts

Great news that Celestians get their own box too so they will stand out a bit from normal Sisters. 

They’re not. That footnote was referring to the regular Battle Sisters kit which can also build Celestians.

Shinespider

Shinespider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,110 posts

Fantasy games make this mistake all the time

Well, there's another layer to this: very few of these terms actually have a historically consistent meaning. Most of these european terms were used over the course of several hundred years, at least, and over the course that time the weapons they referred to changed frequently. When you add language barriers on top of that, weapons being exported from France to Switzerland to Germany to Austria and taking their names with them, and you have a total mess.

I have absolutely no doubt that, at some point in time, someone held a weapon very much like this one and called it a Halberd. It's a bizarre kind of arrogance for us modern folks to insist that he was wrong to do so. The idea that these terms represent specific weapons that can be described precisely is a modern concept that people have (unsuccessfully) tried to retroactively apply.

The lesson is that you just shouldn't worry about it, because medieval soldiers certainly didn't. 

(Another random entry in this category: "Dragon" and "Wyvern" are not words with actual zoological definitions, and anyone who tried to insist you use one or the other on the basis of number of legs or whatever is deeply misguided.)

Edited by Shinespider, 12 April 2021 - 06:50 PM.

• War Angel, Drefanus Aldwinius, Petitioner's City and 4 others like this

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_02.jpg

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 793 posts

Fantasy games make this mistake all the time
Well, there's another layer to this: very few of these terms actually have a historically consistent meaning. Most of these european terms were used over the course of several hundred years, at least, and over the course that time the weapons they referred to changed frequently. When you add language barriers on top of that, weapons being exported from France to Switzerland to Germany to Austria and taking their names with them, and you have a total mess.

I have absolutely no doubt that, at some point in time, someone held a weapon very much like this one and called it a Halberd. It's a bizarre kind of arrogance for us modern folks to insist that he was wrong to do so. The idea that these terms represent specific weapons that can be described precisely is a modern concept that people have (unsuccessfully) tried to retroactively apply.

The lesson is that you just shouldn't worry about it, because medieval soldiers certainly didn't.

(Another random entry in this category: "Dragon" and "Wyvern" are not words with actual zoological definitions, and anyone who tried to insist you use one or the other on the basis of number of legs or whatever is deeply misguided.)
I am enough of a nerd to admit I went down a internet rabbit-hole to learn the difference between halberds and pole-axes when all of you started debating this topic. I am now an expert on this subject and can authoritatively say the the space nun in exo-armor who relies on miracles to purge evil space wizards and aliens and demons can indeed wield a two handed weapon and a large shield at the same time and that the name of this weapon is whatever I want it to be because it's a plastic toy I buy unassembled and unpainted at an insane markup to play a table top war game whose rules system bears no resemblance to actual combat either ancient or modern and undergoes periodic upheaval and change due to corporate profit motivations.

El fin.

Edited by Bonzi, 12 April 2021 - 07:57 PM.

• mithrilforge, SteveAntilles, Cactus and 11 others like this

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Sarvis

Sarvis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts
Bravo!

MadEdric

MadEdric

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,193 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines Deathwatch Ulthwe

I'm loving this model, and the unit it can become. I've wanted a Sister's army that I could have without using penitent units. We'll have to see how they measure up against Repentia and AFs.

New Morifactor and Paragon Suit and now this. My imagined force is getting more and more likely.

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,356 posts

i love them.

• Black Blow Fly likes this

WrathOfTheLion

WrathOfTheLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,877 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels, WB & SW
These are great models, I am going to really like them with maces.

I really like the pistols, reminds me of the HH Invictarus Suzerain, big fan of that.
  • Black Blow Fly and Atrus like this

Atrus

Atrus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,073 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Penitent Spirit
Hmm...I'd be happy with this with some tweaks here and there.
The shield feels a bit plainer than I'd expect from sisters/ecclesiarchy elite.

Polearms cool, glad they went away from the done-to-death sword and board. Think I'd tweak it a little to look more spearish with a fluer silhouette. I know they got those shapes in the axey bit, but it feels better to me for the weapon to have a stronger fluer silhouette. But that's personal taste.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users