Orbital Assault Pods for Legion Dreads

Indefragable

In the enhanced digital version of the Age of Darkness Army List Red Book, for the Orbital Assault RoW it says Legion Dreadnought and Contemptors “must be given either Dreadclaw Drop Pods or Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod Dedicated Transports”. 

The most recent FAQ v1.1 as well as the Drop Pod FAQ v1.0 say Legion Dreadnoughts can take standard Drop Pods as Dedicated Transports.

Legion Dreadnoughts taking their standard Drop Pods Dedicated Transports would fulfill the conditions for needing to arrive via Deep Strike.

However RAW, in this RoW, Legion Dreadnoughts can’t take their standard Drop Pod DTs and must now take Dreadclaws or Dread-Pods. Usually more specific things like RoWs override more generic rules like DTs, which would make the RAW pretty clear. However it certainly seems like this is an oversight or hasn’t caught up to the FAQs.

Just checking to see if I’ve missed anything or if anyone has any experience with this. 

Interesting, well, the RoW was written prior to the “recent” FAQ, so I would say the most recent iteration of the rules apply, I.e legion dreadnoughts can take standard pods as their dedicated transport.

The inclusion of legion drop pods as a dedicated transport for legion dreadnoughts was clearly intended to make them more viable as an option. RAI therefore supports the above.

But, I agree it needs clarification and could be argued either way.

Cadmus

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Interesting, well, the RoW was written prior to the “recent” FAQ, so I would say the most recent iteration of the rules apply, I.e legion dreadnoughts can take standard pods as their dedicated transport.

The inclusion of legion drop pods as a dedicated transport for legion dreadnoughts was clearly intended to make them more viable as an option. RAI therefore supports the above.

Cadmus

I agree but may be the devils advocate.

It's a requirement just like all the other requirements other RoW have and override the options a unit usually has.

Cadmus

I agree but may be the devils advocate.

It's a requirement just like all the other requirements other RoW have and override the options a unit usually has.

True, although those requirements were written prior to the FAQ and you could argue are outdated. But currently RAW prevents using them.

Bring on Heresy 2.0.....

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

Yea I have come to see it as RoW specifics override other rules. Aka if a theoretical one said "a Herald must be included and must be given Terminator armor, even though this is not normally possible" that would be a deliberate design choice to allow something within the RoW that is not normally allowable. Likewise, rules could specify an exclusion that is not normal. It's just hard to say in this case for all the reasons mentioned above (timing of FAQs, etc...) so even though logically Legion Pods for Legion Dreads in Orbital Assault should work, RAW as it stands they do not.