Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Oll Persson in Mass Effect

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts
A story where Oll Persson is sent to the Mass Effect universe and joins Shepard. What would the crew think of him?

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,871 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

Well..... Oll has been around for a while, so part of his skill set is fitting in. How people react depends on a lot of factors. Are you writing a story?

sml_gallery_49400_16059_1314.png sml_gallery_49400_16059_25207.png

Mazer Rackham

Mazer Rackham

++ SCLOPETATOR SIMULAMINIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,466 posts

That character already exists...he's called Zaeed Massani... :P

Indeed, it would be interesting to see some mid M.3 ish exploits of Trooper Persson, or I'd even say some of his WWI experiences.  Perhaps in a flashback or something.

MR.

Indexes: IA: Scions of Gehenna IA: White Paladins

You see, it all started with an Only War game I played long ago. I was heavy weapons guy.  I wanted an Autocannon, and by bargaining, trading etc, I managed to get in the neighbourhood of 5% chance, and guess what? I got it! I howled and cheered and professed my luck as an insult to Tzeentch.

And ever since, I swear that begrudging clown has had it in for me. Not two missions later, I was charged by a cannon-proof Ork, brutalized, and forced to burn fate. Many other cases of ill luck have befallen me in other games, but I can at least take solace in the fact that I have someone to blame...

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

That character already exists...he's called Zaeed Massani... :P

Indeed, it would be interesting to see some mid M.3 ish exploits of Trooper Persson, or I'd even say some of his WWI experiences. Perhaps in a flashback or something.

MR.

And him being one of Jason's Argonauts.

And it's an alternate universe type situation.

Edited by Just123456, 01 May 2021 - 05:23 PM.

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

Well..... Oll has been around for a while, so part of his skill set is fitting in. How people react depends on a lot of factors. Are you writing a story?

I am looking to. What they would think him being of him being a Perpetual, that he was one of Jason's Argonauts and what the Perpetuals are.

Edited by Just123456, 01 May 2021 - 05:26 PM.

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts

- Perpetuals, and Olle himself keep quiet about their perpetualness and millenia of experiences to avoid unwanted attention: To everyone else, they are just normal people. Their most outstanding feature, is they'd seem more competent due to said experiences. No shocking reactions here.

-Someone'd actually need to witness him die and return but as far as I know, that can take time, and not always happens at the spot they died. Also, Shepard tends to keep his crew alive for the most part unless scripted otherwise.

-A more interesting idea is, what'd Persson think about his surroundings; "Heh, easy mode"

Also, don't do "inexplicably transported to different universe" - that's poorly written fanfic material. Make it "it was the past, and he was there, millenia ago".

Maybe he WAS Shephard himself; we've seen him return from the dead often enough.

• Mazer Rackham likes this

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

- Perpetuals, and Olle himself keep quiet about their perpetualness and millenia of experiences to avoid unwanted attention: To everyone else, they are just normal people. Their most outstanding feature, is they'd seem more competent due to said experiences. No shocking reactions here.

-Someone'd actually need to witness him die and return but as far as I know, that can take time, and not always happens at the spot they died. Also, Shepard tends to keep his crew alive for the most part unless scripted otherwise.

-A more interesting idea is, what'd Persson think about his surroundings; "Heh, easy mode"

Also, don't do "inexplicably transported to different universe" - that's poorly written fanfic material. Make it "it was the past, and he was there, millenia ago".

Maybe he WAS Shephard himself; we've seen him return from the dead often enough.

There are plenty of good FanFictions that are about being transported to other universes.

MetalMammoth

MetalMammoth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 356 posts

If your standards are low enough.

• Slave to Darkness likes this

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,104 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

I dont think Oll would be that bothered about the events in Mass Effect,  he would call that 'Tuesday'. What we need is Wrex and Grunt in the 40k universe. :wub:

• MetalMammoth likes this

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

I dont think Oll would be that bothered about the events in Mass Effect,  he would call that 'Tuesday'. What we need is Wrex and Grunt in the 40k universe. :wub:

What would the Asari and Krogan think of Oll Persson being what he is?

Slave to Darkness

Slave to Darkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,104 posts
  • Location:The Labyrinth, realm of limitless eternal pain and pleasure . AKA Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
  • Faction: Chaos, Wolves and Guard

I dont think Oll would be that bothered about the events in Mass Effect,  he would call that 'Tuesday'. What we need is Wrex and Grunt in the 40k universe. wub.gif

What would the Asari and Krogan think of Oll Persson being what he is?

If he can fight and he has quads of steel I think the Krogan would be cool with him. Never really cared enough about the Asari to pay attention to them so I cant comment on that. I think Garrus would accept him, military background and all that. 

Now I am wondering what the Emperor was doing/would have done during the events of Mass Effect if they shared the same universe? 

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the centre of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

gallery_29004_9303_22505.png

Blog - Gates of Helvete

"If you mean, "Are we all going to get killed?" Yes. Clearly, Guilliman is about to make yet another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to the Cicatrix." Captain Blackadder

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,976 posts

I mean, "inexplicably transported to different universe" is an entire genre of stories now.

Edited by Gederas, 03 May 2021 - 05:51 AM.

Mazer Rackham

Mazer Rackham

++ SCLOPETATOR SIMULAMINIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,466 posts

I think if you played it so that the alternate universe/time line generated organically with very recognisable 40K motifs, it could work well enough.

For example, it could start from way back in pre-Imperial times - such as the Reaper invasion being portrayed as the Age of Strife, where sentient machines tried to destroy mankind and the galaxy.  Transporting Ollie to an alternate universe is certainly possible - especially if we look at Know No Fear, by Dan Abnett, we see that Ollie is acutely aware of a vast spectrum of things - the Neverborn don't look the same to him, he knows how to step between dimensions (the warp) to escape from the Battle of Calth etc.

That doesn't mean it should be done that way.

I think there could be an opportunity for interesting worldbuilding.  What happened to the Navigator mutation, or the Gellar Field?  How come we're using Mass Effect weapons instead of Martian Death Rays?  With the Cache of Prothean data on Mars, is that what gives the Mechanicum the boost to their technology?

I think it can work, but will involve some very clever side-stepping to blend what you want to get to.

MR.

Indexes: IA: Scions of Gehenna IA: White Paladins

You see, it all started with an Only War game I played long ago. I was heavy weapons guy.  I wanted an Autocannon, and by bargaining, trading etc, I managed to get in the neighbourhood of 5% chance, and guess what? I got it! I howled and cheered and professed my luck as an insult to Tzeentch.

And ever since, I swear that begrudging clown has had it in for me. Not two missions later, I was charged by a cannon-proof Ork, brutalized, and forced to burn fate. Many other cases of ill luck have befallen me in other games, but I can at least take solace in the fact that I have someone to blame...

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

I think if you played it so that the alternate universe/time line generated organically with very recognisable 40K motifs, it could work well enough.

For example, it could start from way back in pre-Imperial times - such as the Reaper invasion being portrayed as the Age of Strife, where sentient machines tried to destroy mankind and the galaxy.  Transporting Ollie to an alternate universe is certainly possible - especially if we look at Know No Fear, by Dan Abnett, we see that Ollie is acutely aware of a vast spectrum of things - the Neverborn don't look the same to him, he knows how to step between dimensions (the warp) to escape from the Battle of Calth etc.

That doesn't mean it should be done that way.

I think there could be an opportunity for interesting worldbuilding.  What happened to the Navigator mutation, or the Gellar Field?  How come we're using Mass Effect weapons instead of Martian Death Rays?  With the Cache of Prothean data on Mars, is that what gives the Mechanicum the boost to their technology?

I think it can work, but will involve some very clever side-stepping to blend what you want to get to.

MR.

Oll Persson's memories of the Men of Iron show the Reapers cannot be them. Oll Persson's memories of the Men of Iron show they had Sun snuffers the size of Saturn's rings.

Brother Lunkhead

Brother Lunkhead

++ ANTICUS ÆSALON ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,871 posts
  • Faction: Praetorian Sword, Ultramarines

=][=

Just a word of caution here. So long as this discussion stays on developing a specific story concerning Oll Persson in the Mass Effect universe I'll allow it here. However, this can easily drift. If it drifts too much, I'll have to either lock this thread down or move it to the AMICUS forum. So, keep it specific and focused please.

=][=

sml_gallery_49400_16059_1314.png sml_gallery_49400_16059_25207.png

Just123456

Just123456

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

=][=

Just a word of caution here. So long as this discussion stays on developing a specific story concerning Oll Persson in the Mass Effect universe I'll allow it here. However, this can easily drift. If it drifts too much, I'll have to either lock this thread down or move it to the AMICUS forum. So, keep it specific and focused please.

=][=

Alright.

Edited by Just123456, 04 May 2021 - 08:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users