Strike from the Shadows + Hellblasters?

gmaleron

Hey guys, in the process of planning out my Raptors expansion and I'm wanting this to focus on a Phobos heavy army, however as I will be running them with Raven Guard rules I have a tactics question. Curious has anyone used "Strike from the Shadows" with Hellblasters? Idea of having x10 of them appear 9inches away and unloading on an unfortunate target has me thinking it'd be effective and fun. I'm already planning on utilizing Master of Ambush with some Bladeguard.

In the beginning when the primaris range was considerably smaller (and the only Gravis unit was the Captain and Bolter Inceptors from the Dark Imperium Starter), it was fairly common for Raven Guard forces to use our strats to dump hellblasters closer to the enemy. This in conjunction with the old banner that allowed shoot on death (4+ pre-nerf) was quite strong with allowing you to overheat, kill your own dudes, and shoot again was pretty decent.

The thing I think you will find is that they are a very glass cannon unit that is 1) Very expensive and 2) Not likely to live long once they have conducted their alpha

Like my homie SG mentioned, Plasma Inceptors just perform that task better. The movement and blast rules alone make them better suited to the task than anything comparable.

Side note: PL/Points being so high can also mean it can be difficult to balance the 50/50 starting/reserve quota for the start of the game and reserves, so thats also something to consider with Hellblasters as well.

Edited by Shadow Captain Vyper

• 3 weeks later...

Though Inceptors are essentially strictly better, there are a few trade-offs between the units. Inceptors definitely benefit from a third wound and much more movement; I haven't found T5 to be a big benefit just because you often use Transhuman to protect them anyway. Inceptors also went up 5ppm for the plasma variant in the new CA, so you're looking at 3 Inceptors being 15 points more than 15 Hellblasters.

Inceptors with Str 8 are better against most vehicles at T7 and benefit from wounding T4 on a 2+ but 6d3 shots is only 12 on average at 18" and Assault Hellblasters get 15 at 24". Those additional shots and 1 extra point of AP actually make them better against marines (killing 1 more model) but not as good vs. Necron Warriors.

Speaking as a guy with 3 Inceptors and 5 Hellblasters, the latter are good at smaller points sizes where mobility isn't as important and their range is useful; on the 30x44 board size with deployment zones you can often get a first turn shot with them. The additional range means they can also cozy up into cover and stay there for longer rather than needing to reposition anyway. However that means SftS isn't as effective.

I have yet to try Hellblasters at 1500/2k but I wouldn't be surprised if deep-striking a unit of them was a solid play. That said, Eradicators probably do it better. Another thing to consider might be trying the Heavy variant; I've seen people run Long Fangs and regular Devastators with Lascannons from time to time and the Heavy Incinerator is pretty comparable - plus you get one on the sergeant, too.