Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Codex Incoming!

• Please log in to reply
309 replies to this topic

Bonzi

Bonzi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 802 posts

You mean when TT took a special character and didn't give her any kind of body guard once so ever? Yeah, that's ridiculous to use as an example of her being weak.

Moving on to something relevant to the book I think Argent Shroud is worse than people think for one reason: it only works on normal moves and advances. This means it can't work on disembarks as those are not normal moves.

I'm not concerned by that as it seems like hair splitting RAW vs RAI. Argent Shroud can run and shoot their heavies with no penalty, I feel confident playing them as being able to step out of a rhino and do the same.

For the same reason I'm not playing Paragons as if they ignore damage 1 weapons and feel sure they don't cost 240 per model as the book indicates but rather 240 per unit.

Edited by Bonzi, Yesterday, 07:03 PM.

Xeno

Necrons

Imperium

Astra/Tempestus Militarum - Vostroyans

Blood Angels - Hands of Sacrifice

Traitor Legions

Emperors Children - Making Noise Marines Scream

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,444 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos

You mean when TT took a special character and didn't give her any kind of body guard once so ever? Yeah, that's ridiculous to use as an example of her being weak.

Moving on to something relevant to the book I think Argent Shroud is worse than people think for one reason: it only works on normal moves and advances. This means it can't work on disembarks as those are not normal moves.

I'm not concerned by that as it seems like hair splitting RAW vs RAI. Argent Shroud can run and shoot their heavies with no penalty, I feel confident playing them as being able to step out of a rhino and do the same.

It's not splitting hairs, it's recognizing that we don't get a free pass to play the mechanized game with AS. They're more the foot MSU army than the mechanized army.

I'm not trying to be flippant, but disembarks are not normal moves and specifically say units who disembark always count as moving the turn they do so. Deeds not Words specifically says it only ignores movement penalties for Normal Moves and Advancing. If it was meant to work on Disembarks they'd just say "doesn't count as moving" as many older similar rules do. GW has specifically called out where and when it works though which excludes the Disembark.

Edited by Fulkes, Yesterday, 07:06 PM.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Purifying Tempest

Purifying Tempest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 397 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Azure Flame
Can't they disembark and then do a normal or yadda yadda? So that way by then end of the phase, unless you took them out within 3 and then left them there, they have made a normal move or advance... thus the wording is triggered? Don't have the CRB in hand, but pretty sure that's not a good faith argument to make against Argent Shroud.

Fulkes

Fulkes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,444 posts
  • Faction: Templars, Sisters, Chaos

Can't they disembark and then do a normal or yadda yadda? So that way by then end of the phase, unless you took them out within 3 and then left them there, they have made a normal move or advance... thus the wording is triggered? Don't have the CRB in hand, but pretty sure that's not a good faith argument to make against Argent Shroud.

The issue I see is that disembarks say you always count as moving until the end of the turn, whild Deeds Not Word only says you count as not moving for making a normal move or advancing. The always clause and the fact DnW is specific to Normal Moves and Advancing makes me believe it doesn't override the penalty for disembarking.

My company inform me that their new primaris brother just don't fit in the safety harnesses. And the Chaplain won't let us ride unless we buckle up.

Dread

Dread

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,356 posts
  • Faction: Craftworld Nebula
Got to see new dex today. Im satisfied that some justice has been accomplished. Will know more after play but content for the moment.
  • sitnam and Fulkes like this
gallery-48988-15465-6059.jpggallery-48988-16308-20607.pnggallery-30308-9518-8597.jpggallery-94427-16628-12663.png

I have come to kick ass and chew bubble gum! And I'm fresh outta bubble gum.

I like the way they pop.

ORDER OF THE CERULEAN SHROUD (SISTERS), NECRONS (ILLUMINOR'S MINIONS)
FROSEN STARS (HARLEQUINS), SAIM-HANN (CRAFTWORLD), DARK ELDAR
NIGHTLORDS,

sitnam

sitnam

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 603 posts

Got to see new dex today. Im satisfied that some justice has been accomplished. Will know more after play but content for the moment.

How are the lore aspects? I know the 9e codexes got rid of unit profiles and such

• Fulkes likes this
Posted Image
The Order of His Amethyst Heart
The Dancing Scythes Chapter

EmperorGTank

EmperorGTank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 94 posts

So I have my first game with the new book tomorrow. I was just going over some of the stratagem wordings and comparing them between the old and new book to catch anything I may mess up, and I feel like Holy Trinity got nerfed back to how it was in the CA codex back when we were rolling for Acts on a 5+ like the old 5th edition WD sham of a dex they saddled us with.  I would love some clarification from you guys, as I really do not want to cheat my opponent, but also really want combi weapons to work for it lol. The wording in the 8th edition dex says "...within range of at least one bolt weapon being shot by a model in the unit, one flame weapon being shot by a model in the unit, and one melta weapon being shot by a model in the unit." The new codex wording states (after adding the visibility sentence of course, which is fine and I understand why) "...at least one model in in that unit equipped with a bolt weapon, one model in that unit equipped with a flame weapon and one model in that unit equipped with a melta weapon..." 

So...do combi weapons still count? Or do I need 3 separate models to all have those different weapons equipped again?  The range requirement is till there of course, not worried about that with a dominion squad lol. My issue is that I am not sure if the superior with the combi weapon counts as satisfying both instances of "a model" because she is a model with 2/3 of whatever weapons are required, but since the new codex specifies "a model...,a model..., a model..." do we need to have 3 such models to satisfy it?

Sorry to be so convoluted and I hate to even bring this up, but I just do not want to mess any more rules up than I probably will tomorrow lol.

Dread

Dread

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,356 posts
  • Faction: Craftworld Nebula
Man do i not know that answer. But being that all the rules are pretty literal, ive found and mostly disappointing, i would go with 3 models until faq'd.

@sitnam, i didnt get to see much on that. Just mainly what got changed in units and seeing if the new ate worth changing too. Only got 10 minutes before the store closed. My dex will be here hopefully in the next few days.
gallery-48988-15465-6059.jpggallery-48988-16308-20607.pnggallery-30308-9518-8597.jpggallery-94427-16628-12663.png

I have come to kick ass and chew bubble gum! And I'm fresh outta bubble gum.

I like the way they pop.

ORDER OF THE CERULEAN SHROUD (SISTERS), NECRONS (ILLUMINOR'S MINIONS)
FROSEN STARS (HARLEQUINS), SAIM-HANN (CRAFTWORLD), DARK ELDAR
NIGHTLORDS,

Maschinenpriester

Maschinenpriester

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 419 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children
I have got my hands on the new codex now as well. I might be a bit late to the party. =D

The internal balance looks good to me. Some of the ridiculously strong combos got obviously nerved. I am definitely sad about hte exorcist nerf because it is my favourite model and it was not too dominant in my opinion. It is nice tho have the out of LOS shooting Strat though.

What jumps into my eye right away.... Especially because I regularily fight necron warrior blobs.
The "Righteous Impact" stratagem (Dont know the prober english term because I have the german codex) where you can deal MW after charging with PEs or Mortifiers (one models is enough to trigger this) looks pretty bonkers to me against big blobs of T4 units. Or Big blobs of low toughness stuff in general.
That would be about 13 MWs on Necron Warriors for instance, or am I misreading stuff?

Edited by Maschinenpriester, Today, 09:46 AM.

• G8Keeper likes this

Purifying Tempest

Purifying Tempest

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 397 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Azure Flame

I have got my hands on the new codex now as well. I might be a bit late to the party. =D

The internal balance looks good to me. Some of the ridiculously strong combos got obviously nerved. I am definitely sad about hte exorcist nerf because it is my favourite model and it was not too dominant in my opinion. It is nice tho have the out of LOS shooting Strat though.

What jumps into my eye right away.... Especially because I regularily fight necron warrior blobs.
The "Righteous Impact" stratagem (Dont know the prober english term because I have the german codex) where you can deal MW after charging with PEs or Mortifiers (one models is enough to trigger this) looks pretty bonkers to me against big blobs of T4 units. Or Big blobs of low toughness stuff in general.
That would be about 13 MWs on Necron Warriors for instance, or am I misreading stuff?

In the English version it specifies that the number of d6 to roll to determine mortal wounds is dependent on the number of models in your (Sororitas) unit that ends up in engagement range after the charge move.  So 4 dice at the max.  I was pretty underwhelmed by it :(

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Purifying Tempest, Progenitor