A Bug's Life: Tyranids Painting Challenge Results & Rewards

Xenith

A BUG'S LIFE

A Monthly Tyranids Painting Challenge

gallery_58096_13272_9320.jpg

Smite that grey pile!

Hello and welcome to the first official low-stakes painting event for the Tyranid forum!

This is purely a fun event, with the end reward being more lovely painted models for you to enjoy on the table, with shout-outs to anyone performing spectacularly!

FORMAT
Anyone who has entered B&C painting events before will be familiar with the format: In this thread, make a pledge post to commit to painting the models you wish to, and share a photo of the model(s) you wish to paint for that month, along with their name and power level, before the end of the month, share a photo of your painted model, finished to Battle Ready Standard, as defined by GW on the previous link. Basically, that's all parts painted with: Base, shade paint, then technical on the base.

If you like, models can be cross-entered into other events like Grotsmasha's Monthly Painting Challenge, so you can get extra kudos and share your work with those outside the Tyranids Section.

TIMING
The event will run for five months from Wednesday 9th June until Monday 1st November 2021, after which we'll have a showcase and a tot up of who's managed to paint the most in that time! The 'active' month will reset on the first Monday of each month.

PLEDGES

Each month, we'll each pledge to paint at least one model with the TYRANIDS keyword [including all models from the Tyranids Codex, Genestealer Cults Codex, and Forge World Books], however a soft target should be 10 Power Level or roughly 200 points. If you can stick to this and achieve it, you'll have a 50 Power Level Tyranids Crusade force to play some games with!

Your pledge can be as simple or ornate as you like, e.g.:

I, Xenith, Commander of the Hive, pledge to paint a unit of three Biovores to the value of 6PL or ~150 points in the month of June 2021

Accompany that text with a picture of the pledged models, and you're good to go! If you like, post WIP photos in this thread, or start your own WIP log in the Tyranids section.

BADGE

In honour of your taking part, there's a signature badge in progress which all entrants can proudly display (and to promote the competition).

gallery_58096_13272_2704.jpg

That's all really! Just like the Hive Fleets, this post will evolve as time goes on and new challenges arise, and this post will record the entries into the challenge, so check on your progress here.

SUMMARY

• At the start of the month, make a pledge in this thread what you want to paint, with a photo and point values.
  • Paint the models
  • Before the end of the month, share photos of the painted models in this thread
  • Repeat steps 1-3

med_gallery_58096_13272_7792.jpg

Edited by Xenith

• 1 month later...

List of Participants & Pledges

October (FINAL) Vows (Deadline 1st November)

Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

44 Trokair: 2 Hive Tyrants and 1 Carnifex (24PL)

34 Jud Cottrell: 8 Genestealers (6.4 PL)

30.9 Arson Fire: 5 genestealers and 5 neophytes (5.9PL)
30.6 Xenith: 1 Tervigon (11PL)

23 Brother Lunkhead: 3 Carnifexen (18PL)

20.5 Halandaar: 10 Neophyte Hybrids and 3 Spore Mines (6 PL)

20 our_baz:

19.6 TPS:

17 TrawlingCleaner: 1 Sanctus, 5 Abherrants, 10 Acolyte Hybrids, 2 Achielles Ridgerunners and a Goliath Rockgrinder (31 PL) + 1 Primus (4PL)

15 Ruskinses: 5 Atalan Jackals, a Primus & 3 Familiars (12 PL)
14 WarriorFish: Neurothrope (5PL)
12.6 Rogue: 4 Genestealers (3.2 PL)

10 Azekai:

5.3 Brother Lemartes: 
2.4 Grotsmasha: 7 neophytes and a magus (7.1PL)
0 Brother Argent:

0 Mike Zulu: 

0 ThePenitentOne: 

September Vows (Deadline 4th October)

Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

22.5 Arson Fire: Tyrannocyte, 6 termagants (8.4 PL)

10 Azekai:

0 Brother Argent: 

5.3 Brother Lemartes: 

23 Brother Lunkhead:  3 Tyranid Warriors and 10 Gargoyles (7 PL)

1.2 Grotsmasha: 4 Hybrids (1.2PL)

8.5 Halandaar: 3 Warriors + 1 Hive Crone (12PL)

28 Jud Cottrell: Carnifex (6 PL)

0 Mike Zulu: 

9 our_baz: 1 Hive Tyrant with wings, Monstrous Scything talons and Monstrous Boneswords (11PL)

8.6 Rogue: 1 Jackal Alphus (4 PL)

5 Ruskinses: 20x Brood Brothers, 1x Armoured Sentinel, 1x Biophagus and friend (10PL)

0 ThePenitentOne: 

8.6 TPS: Tervigon (11 PL)

0 @TrawlingCleaner: 1 Jackal Alphus, 4 Atalan Jackals and 1 Wolfquad, 5 Acolyte Hybrids and 10 Neophyte Hybrids to a total of 17 PL

28 Trokair:  Carnifex, 3 Biovores, 12 spore mines (16 PL)

8.7 WarriorFish:  Carnifex (6 PL)

28.6 Xenith: 1 Lictor (2PL)

August Vows (Deadline 1st September)

Total PL/Member/Vowed, with pic/Complete

9.5 @Arson Fire: 1 Maleceptor + 5 Genestealers (13 PL)

10 @Azekai:

0 @Brother Argent: 

0 @Brother Lemartes: 4 Warriors (5.3 PL)

7 @Brother Lunkhead: 20 Genestealers (16PL)

0.6 @Grotsmasha: 2 Cultists (0.6 PL)

8.5 @Halandaar: 3 Warriors (4PL)

13 @Jud Cottrell: 12 Termagants, 1 Harpy, 3 Spore Mines (15 PL)

0 @Mike Zulu: 

9 @our_baz: 

7.8 @Rogue: 1 Atalan Jackal (0.75 PL)

5 @Ruskinses: 

0 @ThePenitentOne: 

8.6 @TPS: 

12 @Trokair: 30 Hormagaunts + 3 Zoanthropes (16 PL)

2.7 @WarriorFish: 1 Carnifex (6PL)

21.6 @Xenith: 3 Zoanthropes  (7 PL)

--------------------------------------------------------------

July Vows (Deadline 2nd August)

Participating/Vowed, with pic/Complete

4.5 @Arson Fire: 5x Genestealers (5 PL)

3 @Azekai: 20 Termegants + 3 spore mines (7 PL)

0 @Brother Argent: 1x Tyranid Prime, 6x Genestealers, 30x Hormagaunts, 7x Spore Mines, 1x Carnifex (30 PL)

7 @Brother Lunkhead: 20 Genestealers (16PL)

0.3 @Grotsmasha: 1 Cultist (0.3 PL)

2.5 @Halandaar: 1 Carnifex (6 PL)

7 @Jud Cottrell: 3 Hive Guard (6 PL)

0 @Mike Zulu: 1 Carnifex (6 PL)

0 @our_baz: 1 Tyrannofex (9 PL)

6 @Rogue: 3 Acolytes (1.8 PL)

5 @Ruskinses: 

0 @ThePenitentOne: 

0 @TPS: 1 Broodlord and 2x Genestealers (8.6PL)

3 @Trokair: 4 Warriors + 5 Stealers (9 PL)

1.5 @WarriorFish: 4 Termagants (1.2 PL)

6 @Xenith: Hive Tyrant and 20 Spore Mines (15.6 PL)

-------------------------------------

June Vows (Deadline 4th July)- June Summary

Participating/Vowed, with pic/Complete

@Arson Fire: 1 Lictor, 1 Skyslashers 4 Hormagaunts, 4 Termagants (4.5 PL)

@Azekai: 3 Raveners (3 PL)

@Brother Lunkhead: 1 Broodlord (7 PL)

@Grotsmasha: 1 Cultist (0.3 PL)

@Halandaar: 8 Hormagaunts (2.5 PL)

@Jud Cottrell: 3 Zoanthropes (7 PL)

@Rogue: Abominant (6 PL)

@Ruskinses: 20 Brood Brothers (5 PL)

@ThePenitentOne: Patriarch (7 PL)

@Trokair: 10 Termagants with Fleshborers (3 PL, 40pts)

@WarriorFish: 2 Genestealers (1.5 PL)
@Xenith: 3 Biovores (6 PL)

-------------------------------------

Edited by Xenith

I’m all over this!

I jud cottrell pledge to paint 3 Zoanthropes for Hive Fleet Ariagnee.

I’ve got a fair few models to go on top so will tackle those over the coming months.

I’ve started the first of the Zoanthropes already.

51236395666_507e33b5b5_c.jpgZoanthropes

Cheers Xenith.

Edited by Jud Cottrell

Why the hell not. I've been dredging through some boxes in the pile of shame today and turned up a few bugs that could use some paint!

I'll keep it simple to start with and pledge just 8 Hormagaunts (because I don't have 10) for a massive total of 48 points!

gallery_84244_15233_276539.jpg

Hello, lovely Tyranid people.

I'm dropping in to represent the Cult side of things with 6 power levels worth of Abominant. 

hypermorph

I, Rogue, commit to painting one Abominant (of 6 PL) by the end of June.

(I can highly recommend Grotsmasha's Hobby Challenge thread too - lots of people chucking around lots of encouragement. And a fair few models.)

I started work on a lictor and some skyslashers a couple of days ago. Any objections to adding them to this first month in their partially painted state?

Adding partially painted models isn't something I'd do after this first month. It's just because I'm jumping in with stuff already in progress on my painting table.

I started work on a lictor and some skyslashers a couple of days ago. Any objections to adding them to this first month in their partially painted state?

No problem with that for month 1, this event has started a bit late due to RL commitments!

I don’t yet know whether I can commit to this time wise, but my Treeranids have been waiting for paint since I converted them in 7th edition. If I can find space in my schedule and a colour shceme I am in.

I have about 1500/1600p (7th edition level, no idea what that is now) converted up, this is a sample.

gallery_29932_13875_76109.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_49266.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_102247.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_82591.jpg

I, ThePenitentOne, human ally to the Cult of the Living Thresher, pledge to paint my Young Patriarch in the month of June, 2021.

Note: I will also be basing and putting finishing touches on 4 more Brood Brothers (classic metal Necromunda minis from Escher and Delaque); this is not a formal pledge, but it's a slam dunk. I also plan to play 4 Kill Team mini-games; in each game, one Purestrain will stalk four Imperial Citizens, hoping to bestow the Curse to as many of them as possible. The 'Stealer that infects the most will earn the honour of growing into the Young Patriarch I have pledged to paint. The remaining three Purestrains are the First Brood, and the infected Citizens will join us as Brood Brothers.

These four Genestealer Purestrains are escapees from the Blood Angels Hunter Class Destroyer Ashallon's Rage. If you're interested, and you haven't seen it yet, you can read about their daring escape in a custom Space Hulk scenario here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368942-faction-cult-of-the-living-thresher-gsc/

I've been stalled on the campaign for a good long time, so there's a decent chance you've seen some of this around B&C already. This Challenge should get the Campaign moving again. Thanks for kickin my butt of the couch and into the painting chair.

I, WarriorFish, vow 2 Genestealers of few points to be completed before the end of June:

gallery_30308_16534_19454.jpg

Starting small, hopefully I can build up to more in future months. My goal is to complete a fex here but if not, a couple of models a month is still progress and more than I have been managing for some time anyway :wink:

Count me in!

I'll have to wait another 24hrs or so before pledging, as I need to get back to my house and see what Tyranids I can find skulking about. :)

I know I have a semi-painted Exocrine still in pieces somewhere. On that note, how painted are the models allowed to start at for this first pledge? IIRC the big boy's been basecoated in the "starter" chitin and flesh tones - if it's too much I can dig out some other models and just do the Exocrine (and my almost-finished Hive Tyrant) as side-pledges in addition to whatever I do each month.

Vow post updated to this point.

-----------------------------------------

Hello, lovely Tyranid people.

I'm dropping in to represent the Cult side of things with 6 power levels worth of Abominant.

I, Rogue, commit to painting one Abominant (of 6 PL) by the end of June.

(I can highly recommend Grotsmasha's Hobby Challenge thread too - lots of people chucking around lots of encouragement. And a fair few models.)

Thanks for joining, looking forward to seeing him painted, Abom's are nasty!

I don’t yet know whether I can commit to this time wise, but my Treeranids have been waiting for paint since I converted them in 7th edition. If I can find space in my schedule and a colour shceme I am in.

I have about 1500/1600p (7th edition level, no idea what that is now) converted up, this is a sample.

gallery_29932_13875_76109.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_49266.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_102247.jpg

gallery_29932_13875_82591.jpg

Whoa, these look amazing, please share them in this forum also! Do you think you'll get to vow some for this? It's a crime not to have paint on those!

Cool alright then. I'll commit to finishing off this partially painted Lictor and base of Skyslashers.

That won't keep me occupied all month though, so I've also dug through my box of sprues and come up with 4 hormagaunts and 4 termagants.

DINwEMf.jpg

Good stuff, vow added!

I, WarriorFish, vow 2 Genestealers of few points to be completed before the end of June:

gallery_30308_16534_19454.jpg

Starting small, hopefully I can build up to more in future months. My goal is to complete a fex here but if not, a couple of models a month is still progress and more than I have been managing for some time anyway :wink:

Battle Ready is the goal here, so the bar is quite low - I know your scheme adds a lot of nice detailing, but don't feel pressured to complete that as part of these vows, it can always be done later - the main thing is to get models on the table.

I, Azekai, synapse creature of Hivefleet Lotan, pledge to paint 3 Raveners for 3 power level. This shall be done in the month of June 2021.

I plan on pledging the other models in the pic later.

DSqlxWf.jpg?1

Old school Raveners! What does your scheme look like?

Count me in!

I'll have to wait another 24hrs or so before pledging, as I need to get back to my house and see what Tyranids I can find skulking about. :smile.:

I know I have a semi-painted Exocrine still in pieces somewhere. On that note, how painted are the models allowed to start at for this first pledge? IIRC the big boy's been basecoated in the "starter" chitin and flesh tones - if it's too much I can dig out some other models and just do the Exocrine (and my almost-finished Hive Tyrant) as side-pledges in addition to whatever I do each month.

Some paint is ok, I'm being more lenient in the first month, but after that we'll go with the ETL standard of one base colour. As long as it's not obviously nearly done, then you're ok this month!

I, ThePenitentOne, human ally to the Cult of the Living Thresher, pledge to paint my Young Patriarch in the month of June, 2021.

Note: I will also be basing and putting finishing touches on 4 more Brood Brothers (classic metal Necromunda minis from Escher and Delaque); this is not a formal pledge, but it's a slam dunk. I also plan to play 4 Kill Team mini-games; in each game, one Purestrain will stalk four Imperial Citizens, hoping to bestow the Curse to as many of them as possible. The 'Stealer that infects the most will earn the honour of growing into the Young Patriarch I have pledged to paint. The remaining three Purestrains are the First Brood, and the infected Citizens will join us as Brood Brothers.

These four Genestealer Purestrains are escapees from the Blood Angels Hunter Class Destroyer Ashallon's Rage. If you're interested, and you haven't seen it yet, you can read about their daring escape in a custom Space Hulk scenario here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368942-faction-cult-of-the-living-thresher-gsc/

I've been stalled on the campaign for a good long time, so there's a decent chance you've seen some of this around B&C already. This Challenge should get the Campaign moving again. Thanks for kickin my butt of the couch and into the painting chair.

Thanks for joining! Is a Young Patriarch anything unique, or a custom patriarch? Do what I do and make the couch the painting chair!

Whoa, these look amazing, please share them in this forum also! Do you think you'll get to vow some for this? It's a crime not to have paint on those!

Yeah Trokair, that’s some solid kitbashing there!

Looking forward to seeing them painted.

Thank you both, I certainly intend to, it is just a question of time and colour scheme. What stalled the project in 2017 is that I discovered that the brown spray paint GW has is somewhat redish, so not the wooden effect I was thinking of. I have used the contract wood colour a bit now on other models, so that might be a way forward, will have to see, just worried that en mass it won’t look as good.

Also still torn between stereotypical green foliage or whether I try something ambitious such has autumn colours.

Edited by Trokair

I have used the contract wood colour a bit now on other models, so that might be a way forward, will have to see, just worried that en mass it won’t look as good.

Yes, I like the look of the wood contrast (wyldwood?), and will be using at at some point. You can always layer other washes over the top to get the effect you desire, but it looks pretty woody on its own. Leaves are interesting, maybe it depends on how you'd paint the guns and bits?

My plan back in the day was to have some bits such as weapons have more of blanched wood/bone colour, and the body a more darker wood colour, looks like I will have some time in the week of 28th so will see if I can do a few test gaunts.