Forge World Amethal - Starting Admech

Many moons ago, when I was a sprog I started admech when they first came out. I wasn't a very paitent painter or builder and shelved them until a friend of mine showed interest in the army. I sold them and regretted it but never got back to them until now.

As the new codex is coming out, I snagged one of the Start Collecting boxes before they're OOP and also picked up another 20 Skitarri, a Dominus, 5 Infiltrators/Ruststalkers and 6 Kataphrons. A pretty decent start!

This Forgeworld is cannon and has featured in the 13th Black Crusade. The Forgeworld was built around a DAoT relic that housed huge amounts of daemons, Abaddon and Khârn' forces cracked it open and the planet with it. Amethal is pretty great for 3 reasons:

1) Amethal sounds like Amethyst, usually purple-y

2) Their Forgeworld is gone, which gives me the excuse to make the force an exploritory fleet, both looking for new tech and also looking for a new planet to settle which also means I have a lore reason for going heavy on the Rangers.

3) With their planet gone due to Chaos, they're likely very anti-chaos

So with all that in mind, here are the first 5 models. I spent quite a while figuring out the scheme and how to acheive it but I'm loving how they came out:

51170231864_9213554325_b.jpg

51170231429_634375928d_b.jpg

51168778157_40622aec87_b.jpg

51170233309_23eeaaac0a_b.jpg

51170545195_be0eb74546_b.jpg

I've got the base purple on the first 5 Rangers, the Enginseer and the Skorpius. The Skorpius actually looks pretty rad even with a block colour of  Purple:

51160270005_8e89be7ebc_b.jpg

Praise the Omnissiah!

Welcome back fellow Tech-Priest, it is definitely a good time to have the Mechanicus itch, although I think I might have to replace a few fleshy organs by the time they actually release our codex.

As the new codex is coming out, I snagged one of the Start Collecting boxes before they're OOP

Yup brought two myself, when the box is only £10 more than a submarine its hard to buy just the sub. Plus I do fancy using the Skitarii with some of the Forgeworld resin kits.

I love the purple, it works really well, please keep updating with pictures as I look forward to seeing more models in that scheme. It makes me wonder if I should add a hint of purple to my Stygies black to see if it makes them pop more.

Welcome back fellow Tech-Priest, it is definitely a good time to have the Mechanicus itch, although I think I might have to replace a few fleshy organs by the time they actually release our codex.

As the new codex is coming out, I snagged one of the Start Collecting boxes before they're OOP

Yup brought two myself, when the box is only £10 more than a submarine its hard to buy just the sub. Plus I do fancy using the Skitarii with some of the Forgeworld resin kits.

I love the purple, it works really well, please keep updating with pictures as I look forward to seeing more models in that scheme. It makes me wonder if I should add a hint of purple to my Stygies black to see if it makes them pop more.

Thank you Black_Knight! As much as I love the Dunecrawler, the Dunerider and Disintergrator are my favourite vehicles in the army. It also helps that the Start Collecting box essentially has the Skitarri for free! I got some work done on the 5 Rangers last night and should hopefully finish them off tonight :biggrin.:

Really like that colour scheme, the basing is well done too.

Cheers Pearson! The basing isn't finished in these pictures, as the PVA was still drying. I've still got to wash them with my Agrax, PVa mix then a couple of drybrush layers and a grass tuft or two :happy.:

Excellent work on the Skitarii.

Thank you Bjorn! :biggrin.:

I did manage to build my own Daedolous last night too, there might be a few people that are upset that I used one of the few Cursed City models but I think he looks rad :yes:

I haven't thought of a name just yet but I think he'll be a Wayfinder that was sent to scout out planets, forgotten about for a couple of hundred years until a signal is picked up. He's a bit nutty these days after being left with only servitors and Kasteallans but knows the subsystem like the back of his hand. He hasn't fought with the Forgeworld for a while so doesn't really stick to their dogma anymore and just sort of wonders off. As he is a Wayfinder for the fleet, he's equiped with the best scanning/reconnaissance tech he could get his hands on. A long winded lore justification for the Daedolous rules :wink:

51172958515_cd9a870049_b.jpg

51171854576_980ddf4da4_b.jpg

51172092533_2167ffd318_b.jpg

51171854416_8b14b22c7a_b.jpg

I went back and changed the staff topper as it didn't look quite right :sweat:

51172958305_4e5a0b6049_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now that is one grand looking cog boi! Great work!

Thank you Nagashnee!

Oops, I haven't touched this thread in a hot minute, I got swept up in painting Craftworld Eldar bits for  picking 9th back up :whistling:

My admech codex was finally delivered on Saturday (it's been on back order for 2 weeks), it's a lovely book with so much new artwork. I'm running a Crusade campaign in about 3-4 weeks with my friend group which gives me a great excuse to knuckle down and get 1000 points painted and ready for this.

I've gotten 5 Rangers done to match my 5 Vanguard, which is only about 100 points :sweat:

51245288347_47e28d18b6_b.jpg

And the batch painting on the next 5 Vanguard and next 10 Rangers begins

51246761174_f1d3b716cd_b.jpg

My Crusade list is:

Skitarri Marshal

Manipulus

10 Rangers with Plasma

10 Vanguard with Arc Rifle

5 Rangers with an Arquebus

5 Plasma Destroyers

5 Ruststalkers

9 Electropriests

1 Skorpius

I had the idea for the list (especially the command structure and troops) as the Marshall being the Warlord and the leader of the force, with the Manipulus technically being higher rank but just wondering off in search of relics and old tech

That's a lot to paint but I reckon I'll be alright :biggrin.:

Thank you Bjorn!

Diamonds are made under (self) pressure, I told myself I would paint 15 Skitarri by Saturday for a gaming group meet up, I'm nearly there! I just need to highlight the black, give the blues another pass of lighter highlights and finish the bases... not much to do this evening :sweat:

51254826443_a96fb569e0_b.jpg

This weekend will be the start of me learning Admech and also the start of our groups Crusade, thankfully my list is relatively simple in which buffs can apply to which units etc. I'll be up against Orks, GK, Necrons, Imperial Fists, Harlequins and Dark Angels so very varied :happy.: 

Again, excellent work. As the Skitarii bases are decorated as if they're fighting in upon sand (desert? seashore?), I presume the purple robes aren't meant to be camouflage. Is it symbolic of something, e.g., the Archmagos who rules the forge world they defend, is legally considered royalty- the AdMech making allowances to its technocratic and meritocratic ideals, to honor the planet's inhabitants and better secure its rule- and his/her Skitarii bodyguard wear "royal purple" to ID them as royal guards? Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Again, excellent work. As the Skitarii bases are decorated as if they're fighting in upon sand (desert? seashore?), I presume the purple robes aren't meant to be camouflage. Is it symbolic of something, e.g., the Archmagos who rules the forge world they defend, is legally considered royalty- the AdMech making allowances to its technocratic and meritocratic ideals, to honor the planet's inhabitants and better secure its rule- and his/her Skitarii bodyguard wear "royal purple" to ID them as royal guards?

Thank Bjorn, I'll be honest I just went with the Purple because I love the colour (Phoenican Purple from GW) not because I had any real fluff ideas. Outside of: their Forgeworld was destroyed by the activation of the Daemon Cage (during the 13th Black Crusade) so they're now a roaming Forgeworld, trying to locate a new planet to recreate their Forgeworld.

Purple being regal or royal is ancient even for our standards, I wonder whether it would also be considered on other planets after 38k years and different resources on these planets. Purple was only considered to be regal or royal because the resources to make purple dye were difficult to get a hold of, I wonder if other planets have these resources plentifully? Anyways, after that tangient, the short answer is: I liked the purple :biggrin.:

Crammed to get them done but 10 Rangers and 5 Vanguard were completed for my games on Saturday:

51262215195_5823c1746c_b.jpg

51260441677_345fec49c4_b.jpg

51262214315_218c357ab4_b.jpg

51261911919_9bb4008e7c_b.jpg

51261911924_7c633ae225_b.jpg

Next up on the painting table is the Skorpius!

51262212885_afb1b0d599_b.jpg

51261910674_072e0974dd_b.jpg

51261910554_e2be036de6_b.jpg

Loads left to do!

I played against Dark Angels twice at 1k points as my first games with them and holy moley, Ad Mech slap. Basic troops are incredible now and not just a tax unit. Vanguard were my MVP as with a 1CP strat they auto-wound anything that isn't a vehicle on 4s to hit. They killed about 250 points worth of Marines, including 3 Agressors in one turn (I felt really back about this). Kataphrons are really tough to shift and Ruststalkers with the full sized blades absolutely shread marines, the mortal wounds just add the cherry on top :sweat:

I snagged 2 Kastellan Robots cheap, so I'll be building them as dual fist and flamer which should be a very potent melee threat.

They're great fun and I'm looking forward to progressing my Crusade with them, Ryza is a lot of fun :biggrin.:

Edited by TrawlingCleaner