Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Storm Speeders: Hail, Thunder, or Hammer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

geektom

geektom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,072 posts
  • Faction: Storm Brothers

Hey all- have my first Storm Speeded kit and don't know yet how easy it is to magnetize.

What is everyone's favorite load out?

Come visit the WIP thread of my White Scars Successor Chapter, the Storm Brothers:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281932-new-army-blog-storm-brothers/

Alcyon

Alcyon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,606 posts
  • Faction: Revenants Chapter

Sadly none of them are good, but I think the consensus is the Hammerstrike is the least bad. Hailstrike is almost as much as a Redemptor for similar guns and a much worse profile other than movement. Thunderstrike has two main weapons with D6 damage which I think is just too much variance even though it has BS2, though they might well go to D3+3 in the next codex so it might not be a bad idea to magnetize. 

• geektom likes this

Morticon

Morticon

++ FILIUS VINDICOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,223 posts

The shelf. 

><; 

I hate to be unproductive, but the speeders are among the "dropped balls" of the GW Primaris release.  

If you love the model and you love the look and feel- go for it!! Any one will be fine for game play. If you're wanting to do well, or be competitive, leave them at home

• Alcyon, geektom and Charlo like this
Gamist, cheesy, beardy or broken; If Games Workshop put it in the book I'll gladly play against it, or with it. - Mort
"Use soft words and hard arguments." (Henry George Bohn [1796-1884].)

There is no harm in, on occasion, having disagreements. It's another thing entirely, however, to be a tool in conveying that disagreement.

"OP: The term used by players to describe a combination of yours they are personally unable to beat"

Collection of Battle Reports
Corbulo Tactica

sal of manders

sal of manders

++ PROCUDO CAMINUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 309 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

I've never played with any of the storm speeders, but...

Thunderstrike looks to be the more flexible option to me, in terms of always being able to shoot something.  It's the option I would personally go with if I were to pick one.

Hammerstrike has more reliable damage output when it's in range, but being in range is kinda the trick. I'd expect this thing to kill or cripple anything it hits, but I'd ALSO expect it to likely get wrecked itself immediately afterwards.  I'd consider this one to depend on what the rest of your army is as to whether it's the preferable option.     

Hailstrike looks... underwelming.  Honestly I think a couple of landspeeder tornados would do the job more efficiently than a hailstrike. It puts out a lot of bolter shots, but marines have a lot of other things that do that too.  If you only build one storm speeder I would go with either of the other two before this one.

• geektom, Karhedron and FinalCookie like this

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,898 posts
With BS2+, I think the Thunderstrike has some utility vs Drukhari and the like. The Stormspeeders as a whole are a bit underwhelming.

I don't expect the rules to change but GW have shown that they are willing to tweak prices so you may see these get a discount in the next MFM if they keep failing to turn up in tournament lists.
  • geektom likes this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

FinalCookie

FinalCookie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts

I've used both the Thunderstrike and the Hammerstrike in my White Scars list, and every time, I wish I just grabbed more Inceptors or something. They split the baby in terms of output VS. durability, and in so doing, made it completely eclipsed by everything else that fills similar roles.

The degrading profile hurts while none of the weapon options are punchy enough, meaning it's flimsy and weak, rather than being a glass cannon. It's also too expensive, meaning it's use as a cheap unit for secondary scoring/board control/screen clearing etc. doesn't math out.

The model is nice though, so it will certainly look nice on the shelf until it gets a substantial points drop or some stat changes.

• geektom likes this

Raptors - 5th Company

Storm Lancers - 2nd Company

Kozhivan Imperial Guard - 5th Infantry Division

gallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

geektom

geektom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,072 posts
  • Faction: Storm Brothers

I've used both the Thunderstrike and the Hammerstrike in my White Scars list, and every time, I wish I just grabbed more Inceptors or something. They split the baby in terms of output VS. durability, and in so doing, made it completely eclipsed by everything else that fills similar roles.

The degrading profile hurts while none of the weapon options are punchy enough, meaning it's flimsy and weak, rather than being a glass cannon. It's also too expensive, meaning it's use as a cheap unit for secondary scoring/board control/screen clearing etc. doesn't math out.

The model is nice though, so it will certainly look nice on the shelf until it gets a substantial points drop or some stat changes.

@FinalCookie As a WS player, do you take any Invader ATV's?

Come visit the WIP thread of my White Scars Successor Chapter, the Storm Brothers:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/281932-new-army-blog-storm-brothers/

FinalCookie

FinalCookie

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 73 posts

@FinalCookie As a WS player, do you take any Invader ATV's?

Not currently, no. My local meta has favored T3 and T4 hordes with a smattering of TEQ armies; the combo of Plasma, Blast, Fly, and T5 has made inceptors just crazy efficient for me, and normal bikes/outriders can fill the screen clearing/board control role about as good as the ATV can. 

I do think there's some play with the ATV's, but like the Storm Speeders, they lack the CORE keyword, which is rough. They also are in competition with attack bikes, which are half the defensiveness for the same amount of damage output, meaning they do the job better, and are pointed more appropriately, due to GW consistently over-valuing defensive stats like Wounds.

• geektom likes this

Raptors - 5th Company

Storm Lancers - 2nd Company

Kozhivan Imperial Guard - 5th Infantry Division

gallery_30308_9518_8597.jpg

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,004 posts
I’ve painted up a storm speeder as ravenwing. Plan on mainly using it in hammerstrike configuration (from math hammering, I don’t think thunderstrike is as good, even with bs 2).

I think the dark angels give enough boost to make it playable:
- 5+ invulnerable if it moves
- stationary it gets +1 to hit (and, as the only ravenwing vehicle in my army, for 1 cp I can still make it 4+ invulnerable)

For any other chapter though… I’d only play it if I really, really liked the model.
  • geektom and FinalCookie like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users