Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tau Wishing listing for 9th, why not?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,332 posts
  • Faction: Angels of Justice

So with how the current 9th edition codices have been going, I am rather hopeful for the future of the best faction in the game (fight me...from way over there where you can't charge me).

A lot of the new codices have been not just been "nerf the strong, buff the weak and tinker with other things" they have been overall good adjustments to factions that feel strong and fun to look at and theory craft with. Game play on the table I cannot say for myself but from what I gather in the little bits and pieces, it is overall positive (a few hiccups but nothing major). The general trend they are going with is bleeding power out of the factions most overpowered aspects or just in general overused assets and bringing those units in line with being good and very usable, but not removing kneecaps while the rest of the faction's units all gain reason to exist and perform.

In the terms of Tau...well we don't exactly have much do we? Kind of struggling everywhere you look, we have good stuff but it all feels lacklustre. So lets do some random speculation of what we might get.

So lets throw my wildest card out there:

Pulse Blasters gaining damage as range shortens. So instead of only be 1 wound at all ranges, it goes up to a massive 3 wounds once at 5". A wild speculation but hey, its a fun thought.

Another aspect is I hope to see Kauyon and Mont'Ka become a game-long aspect, not a one turn aura. Possibly even being part of the army building aspect where certain units can be Kauyon, some are Mont'Ka and some are able to be ether. If you have a faction where you have only Mont'Ka or Kauyon, you gain a benefit relating to that aspect. Kauyon maybe has a more long term game-plan while Mont'Ka is all about aggression.

What are some of your wants, other than to be fun to play.

• Triszin likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

http://www.bolterand...one-model-more/ the thread to my oath. My own reminder.

http://www.bolterand...rk-in-progress/ my own chapter
"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,220 posts

im really curious as to how both IG and tau will be updated for 9th.

I hope the TAU become more versatile, I'd like to see everything be capable

banana

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,332 posts

To be honest, my wildest wishlist is giving tau SOME melee. Like I am talking Melee based crisis suits and even maybe a melee version of the riptide. I mean one of the problems that Tau have is the fact that their damage output is tied directly to one phase, shooting. You can make a case also for the enemy charge phase but not sure how you would count that.

While it is a defining trait of Tau being universally bad at melee, that should exclude them from taking part in it as that is somewhere about a third of the game. Some armies supplement weaker shooting with other elements like Melee or in select cases psychic powers. While the IG aren't melee monsters they aren't just "charge and win", they can and do have some meat in punching. Not calling it great but they certainly aren't defenceless. Hitting in melee on 4s I suppose helps.

To me, it seems somewhat counter-intuitive that the iconic crisis suits are equipped with close range weaponry but yet are near complete jokes in melee (despite being death guard level of defence, they lack any real offence). Lets be real, Tau are heavily inspired by Anime mecha and some of the most iconic suits wield super awesome melee weapons. Not saying Tau should suddenly be carving a bloody swathe through orks but when the only dude in the entire faction to have a sword is kind of never using said sword because he has no-one that shares his love of giving the sharp end of metal to enemies, kind of feels silly.

Would also finally give us decent looking mecha units that wield big swords and spears that aren't trying REALLY hard to not look like a baby walker. I mean, the visual of Paragon warsuits dueling off with crisis suits using fusion blades or some other suitably tau weapon would look awesome (and their stats aren't that far apart really), or having a Melee riptide standing down a daemon prince or trygon. I mean if we are going with that Mecha Motif why not really lean into it proper.

Also, want to point out the complete daftness of the lore relating to Tau and being incompetent at melee. I mean, the Fire caste were the hunters, the muscular guys who would have the brawn and ability to fight. That compounded by the idea that Tau have continuously had issues with close ranged combat in lore, it baffles me why they don't think about giving some melee training. Maybe make breachers have better weapon skill for the next codex, really sell them as the "we get close and personal".

To be fair, the Tau Empire is actually a faction that could rival space marines in terms of size of unit options in the codex. Much like how Genestealers have broodbrothers, Tau have the alien auxiliaries which do include humans (known as Gue'Vesa). While there is sinister undertones relating to this for some, most times the Tau seem fairly happy to accept those willing to join the Empire and "seem" to treat them fairly well. I mean, we have the startide nexus lot get seriously reprimanded and the commander dishonoured massively for the mass execution of ALL Alien Auxiliaries. Not saying they aren't be manipulated but to be honest, picking between the Tau Empire or the Imperium is really just picking what you say in battle; ether saying greater good or for the emperor. Both are pretty much the same concept. Could be interesting to see Tau get their hands on STCs in lore and show what they can really do, certainly would make the mechanicus livid.

It is a faction with a lot of room and promise with a fairly intriguing bit of lore and the trap of being "the good guys" before you learn of Etherals being brutal thought police like individuals who can tell a fire warrior to kill themselves and they will do it, even against their own will (their body still obeys, their mind is screaming). Also then there is the oddity of why was a Culexus assassin sent after Aun'Va. Kind of strange really, considering an Eversor would of worked or even a Callidus. Assassins aren't picked randomly for their missions, there is some underlying reason so that is a plot thread that maybe hints the imperium shadier sects have learned something about how the Etherals work.

• Sarvis likes this

I Chapter Master 454, Chapter Master of the Angels of Justice, Warboss of WAAAGH Gubskul, Commander of a Catachan Regiment, Phaeron of a Tomb World, Shas'O to a Cadre and Princeps of a lance of House Taranis hereby pledge that I will not take up any further models til all other prior have been fully built and painted to tabletop standards. There is no time limit for this task, there is no deadline. My oath is to solemnly complete the armies I have now, to see it that they can have their glory. Paint will be stripped from the old in need, thick may it be like ceramite I will see it removed so that plastic and metal alike may see light of new paint. Models yet to be, boxed and in darkness will be assembled with due care and attention. For this task I am permitted to still buy the supplies needed to do my task but not one model more.

"The objective of playing a game is to win. The point of playing a game is to have fun. Never confuse the two"

Sarvis

Sarvis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 108 posts
What are people hoping for model-wise in the future?

I personally really dislike the crisis suit models, and I’d love for them to get an update

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,162 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
For one thing, all the prototype upgrades - should become the standard default for the weapon profiles.
BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,162 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights

All my Tau are painted FSE so I don't have comprehensive experience with other Tau Septs, but for improved FSE rules I prepared this last year:

5PlBLpB.jpg

BJyntGN.pngOOq4org.png

chapter master 454

chapter master 454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,332 posts

Interesting snapshot approach to what you may want.

I like the idea with how you handled the melee weapons though I assume the Dawn Blade would be purely left on Farsight's character sheet. Limited attacks but they gain re-roll bonuses against their intended targets, helps offset the issue of it missing or not wounding by giving it much stronger chances.

The concept of Tau Melee is something that needs to be explored. It is a lost chance within the codex as a lot of units only interact in the shooting phase and that just feels bad. While their melee should be weak overall as an army, it shouldn't be non-existent (Kroot don't count...they're the meat shields).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users