Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Harvest of Chromyd (Crusade Narrative)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Greetings My Plague Brethern

Since the advent of 9th I’ve been excited to try out the Crusade rules which appear to greatly enhance narrative play. 

After having some fun matched play games against a good friend’s Imperial Fists we decided to embark on a one on one Crusade to finally settle the score.  For your enjoyment, and hopefully inspiration, I present to you…

The Harvest of Chromyd

The empire of man withers. 

Their golden citadels corrode. Foundations seeped deep with rot. 

Worlds are sewn ripe with the decay of legions given unto death in the name of the false-god. 

Yet the corpse emperor sits silent in his tomb.  He understands what his forsaken cannot.  All Shall Rot and Decay! The advance of the Grandfather cannot be stemmed.  The young, the old, the strong, the weak.  All shall hear the tolling of the bells.  

And yet they resist, senselessly continuing the long war that has already been lost.  They do not see the infestation that they themselves have cultivated. Nurtured by the inevitable nature of mankind, the roots of the garden have spread deep.    For 7 decades of 7 centuries of 7 millennia the affliction of Obolis has Festered.

Sprouted. 

Matured. 

The blessed trifecta is complete.  We have seen its anthesis and been summoned by its bloom.  We arrive now...

For the Harvest.

(Moderators please let me know if the preference is for such narrative battle reports to be posted in a different forum.  I've included it here in hopes that other Death Guard players will find it enjoyable.  Thank you).

• Azekai and VanDutch like this

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

THE HARVEST OF CHROMYD

ACT ONE

Battle 1 - First Contact

Scenario – Seed Malignifier

Size – Combat Patrol

House Rules – Predetermined Attacker/Defender

Attacker: Lt. Storn’s Imperial Fists

Defender: Lord Sepsis’ Death Guard

For the culling of Metallica a vast horde of Nurgle’s blessed has been demanded by Lord Typhus.  The surrounding systems are ripe with the forsaken ready for the Harvest. Tasked with raising millions with the walking pox, Lord Sepsis has descended upon the Chromyd System.  

To infect the remaining population quickly, a network of Miasmic Malignifiers is being constructed across the Hives of Dryoch. Insidious, demonic constructs, the Malignifiers will corrupt the Hive’s life support systems, infecting them with a plague of bacterium, parasites and contagious techo-organisms able to deliver their bubonic viruses to every living creature in the Hive. The warp ritual for the activation of the Malignifiers is complex but the hour of its zenith is at hand.

The corpse-sworn believe I am blind to their arrival. They hail themselves as saviors, but their decree is premature. The apotheosis of the ritual is imminent. I shall guarantee its consummation. Personally.

– Lord Sepsis

After making planetfall Lt. Storn dispatched his two tactical squads to reconnoiter the area while the rest of his force began establishing an operating base. When they reported back he was even more disturbed by what he heard. Squad Atmo reported what appeared to be a nearly functional plague furnace of some sort but a short distance away, and there were signs of traitor activity in the area. Squad Tydis reported signs of plague running rampant, having to dispatch a handful of grotesque zombies shambling about aimlessly - but no clear, immediate threat. It was clear the plague furnace would have to be destroyed immediately to secure the area. Alvor shook his head and looked over his still-in-process base. He'd have to send a small force to destroy the furnace while others stayed behind to continue working. But it needed to have enough firepower to deal with any traitor threats.

“Hold the flank Brother, and pour on some fire!”

Brother Ryzn setup in a firing position, bringing his massive plasma cannon to bear against the heretic forces gathering around one of plague furnaces while Chaplain Tassius directed Squad Lohr toward the unguarded furnace to the right. There were two of these contraptions, not just the one Squad Atmo had reported. They would each have to be dealt with in turn.

Plague zombies sprung from seemingly everywhere amidst the wreckage of the Hive. After briefly surprising Apothecary Kolm as he dashed for cover, they were all systematically cut down by bolt fire from Squad Lohr. With the furnace secure for now Kolm set about preparing the demolition charges before that could change. On the left, Brother Ryzn was trading fire with the massed heretic forces, but they seemed more consumed with the furnace. He was receiving sporadic return fire that wasn’t much to be concerned with and he was not being pressed. He could see his volleys having an effect, but it was not enough.

“Honored Chaplain, the heretics are concerned only with the furnace.”

Chaplain Tassius knew this meant trouble. With the first furnace secured he ordered Squad Lohr to follow him through a ruined building toward the second furnace nearby. Advancing steadily, the heretic forces came into view. Squad Lohr released a fusilade into the mass, but there were far too many zombies milling about soaking up most of their rounds.

With a sickening SPLAT zombie heads begin to burst as the Corpse Worshippers methodically descend upon the Malignifier’s defenders. Lord Sepsis pays them no heed.  Their arrival is nothing but a minor irritation. All that matters is completion of the ritual. Ordering his minions to surround and protect him, Lord Sepsis steps up to the Malignifier to discharge the final steps of the activation liturgy.

Suffering a hail of bolter fire and high energy plasma beams, the last Lord Sepsis’ faithful bodyguards, the Helminth, fall.  Their teleport beacons flair, returning them to the recuperation vats aboard the Fated Parasitoid. But the Imperial’s systemic and cautious advance has betrayed them, yielding precious moments for Lord Sepsis to complete his malign commission before turning his attention to a more personal agenda.

“Rejoice my Brethren, It is done.  Now Go and Reap payment for the insolence of these blind pagans.  Harvest the seed of their entombed dead and turn their hope to rot!”

The heretics suddenly surged toward Brother Ryzn, their foul leader now clearly evident as he crossed open ground leading the charge. The swiftness with which they moved forth caught Brother Ryzn off-guard, and he was pounded by scythe and flail. Before he had a chance to react his systems were failing as the dreadnought staggered back under the ferocity of the blows.

“In the name of the Emperor purge these heretics brothers!”

Bolt rifles roared as Chaplain Tassius led Squad Lohr from the ruins in defense of their honored brother. The heretic’s ancient power armor served them well, but it was not enough for the volley of exploding shells.

Having forced the Venerable into retreat, his brethren cut down by bolter fire, Lord Sepsis stands alone to meet the yellow tide surging forward.  Chaplain Tassius at the fore. As the onslaught of blades falls upon him, Lord Sepsis smiles.

“Rend my armor. Tear my flesh. Cry out in victory as if your insignificant deeds have purpose.  Your devotion has blinded you from the truth.  The fate of Dryloch has already been sealed... ALL SHALL ROT AND DECAY!”

As if on cue, the ground trembles and a deep gurgling cough erupts forth as the belly furnace of the Malignifier ignites.  Dark miasmic clouds of smog belch from its malformed chimneys as plagues of carrion flies birth forth from bursting pustules along its hide. 

Suddenly finding his force about to be overrun by the chaotic swarm, Chaplain Tassius was left with no choice but to withdraw. Apothecary Kolm had completed his task and was already rejoining while Brother Ryzn was still able to move well enough despite the damage he had taken. As they departed the other furnace detonated, but it was of little solace. It was clear these furnaces were extremely powerful once activated. The battle had been sound tactically, but they were simply too late.

Despite the deafening chorus of buzzing wings and gnashing teeth, the deep laughter of Lord Sepsis rings clear.

DEATH GUARD VICTORY 36-32

Edited by MCB82, 09 June 2021 - 02:02 PM.

• Azekai likes this

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Rosters:

Lord Sepsis' Death Guard 500pts 23 PL

Lord Sepsis, LoC MR & OoD

Champion Coli & Squad E, Plague Marines x5, BL, Flail

The Helminth, Deathshroud x3

The 14th Legion, Poxwalkers x10 2 Units

Lt Stern's Imperial Fists 495pts 27PL

Chaplain Tassius, Primaris Chaplin

Squad Lohr, Intercessors x10

Brother Ryzn, Venerable Dread, H. Plasmacannon

Apothecary Kolm, Firstborn Apothecary

I should note here that we are using points rather than power level.  In addition, the Fists received a bonus CP for Lord Sepsis having a warlord trait (Gloaming Bloat).

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Deployment:

https://photos.app.g...LjDZJUytFTdV119

https://photos.app.g...CUvEWga79oj5o9A

The battlefield was pretty devoid of LOS blocking terrain, but did have a plethora of difficult terrain that would slow my opponent.  Interestingly we ended up deploying heavy into opposite corners with the Fists keeping the intercessors in a big 10 man blob and deploying them away from my Deathshroud to maximize any potential charge distance.

I should preface everything here my stating that while I have been playing 40k since 2nd edition, I've always been an IG player and only discovered my love for Chaos and Death Guard late in 8th edition.  I am by no means a competitive tactical genius and that was quickly evident with my deployment.  In hindsight, I probably should have deployed my Deathshroud in Reserve to gain the flexibility in where they enter the battle.  However my opponents decision to deploy far away from them ultimately won me the game.

Turn 1:

https://photos.app.g...pZbCU9Jfu8qG62A

Winning first turn, I advance my castled units up to the left objective while attempting to pile my 10 poxwalkers on the right out of LOS.  In return, the Fists position the Venerable Brother Ryzn into a firing position on this object but does not close any distance.  Meanwhile the Interessors ignore the right objective (which is instead claimed by the Apothecary) moving up the right flank to get firing lines on the zombies.  He killed many but a couple managed to survive as not all intercessors could gain LOS.

Turn 2:

https://photos.app.g...Bg1Vem1hT3LEGY8

A glorious amount of Poxwalkers rise from the dead and easily charge Apothecary taking a few wounds and more importantly stealing the objective.  On the left, my decision to deploy the Deathshroud combined with my opponents decision to maximize the distance between us makes it clear they will struggle to get into combat.  Therefore my units simply castle up on the objective with Lord Sepsis performing the mission action.

Turn 3 & 4 are quick with the Intercessors dispatching the poxwalkers and reclaiming the right objective while the Dread continues to pump plasma into my Deathshroud.  At this point however it becomes clear that I am running away with the points as the Fists failed to score any primary in turn 2 and would not score any mission points until turn 4 due to the late start on performing the mission action.  Combined shooting from the Dread and the Intcercessors (The Rapid Fire Strat is excellent, especially when combined with the Chaplins +1 to wound.  It essentially gave the Fists an extra 200 points of shooting in a 500 point game!) succeeds in taking out the Deathshroud and dropping 2 Plague Marines.

Turn 5:

With no End of Game scoring (which is a really poor game mission design IMO) and having a massed 36 points that my opponent cannot match Lord Sepsis has already claimed Victory.  But with the Fists unwilling to retreat, I vacate my objective and charge the Venerable Dread with all my remaining forces (LoC & 3 Plague Marines).  The Dread powers up his 6+++ FNP and survives the LoC on 1 wound, but is quickly dispatched by the Plague Marines to score my agenda, Turn their Hope to Rot.  This was significant as it denied Lord Sepsis from earning the bonus XP with the XP instead being earned by Champion Coli and Squad E. 

https://photos.app.g...qvsfRanEoQm4mq7

At the bottom of T5, the Intercessors unload on the Plague Marines, hilariously leaving the Flail alive on 1 wound.  Chaplin Tassius pulls out his Absolver Bolt Pistol.  Boom Head Shot!  Its moments like this that make Narraive play so much fun!!!  With the Plague Marines dispatched the Chaplin and Intercessors charged Lord Sepsis and despite only landing a smattering of wounds, my dice utterly failed to bail him out.

End Game. 

Despite being tabled in the end, I easily won the game on points with that outcome clear by the end of T3.  My dice were not feeling it during the game, with my Deathshroud failing too many invuls and the Intercessors taking down Lord Sepsis (I think the average should have been 2 unsaved wounds!).  But my dice had one last gift for me...

https://photos.app.g...oodWVR7kdhJttXA

Edited by MCB82, 09 June 2021 - 03:20 PM.

• Tallarn Commander likes this

Azekai

Azekai

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,159 posts
  • Faction: Warp Locusts, Traitor Guard
Ah, the victory despite total annihilation. Good stuff. I liked the format; you presented the battle in a very cool way, with both in-game and out of game perspectives. Look forward to more!

Do you think your opponent would have won if he had got first turn and been able to make grab for the objectives first.

Corruption is our armor. Infection is our weapon. Immortality is our reward.

gallery_48988_13169_3872.pngETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_LATD.jCall_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01e.jpggallery_30308_9518_1272.jpggallery_30308_9518_1551.pnggallery_63428_7083_8312.png3DrnTQ5.png

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Thanks!  

If the Fists had gone first and moved to claim the objective my hunch is that we would have played to a Draw.  We actually talked it out after the game.  I would have committed the deathshroud to slow the Intercessors in T2, delaying them from advancing on my objective.  From T2 on we both would score Hold 1 and the Mission Objective leading to a draw.  However the Intercessors' firepower on T2 was significant and if they managed to clear the deathshroud (with Rapid Fire Strat and Chaplin it would be 60 shots, wounding on 4s AP-1) I would have been in trouble and likely would have screened them with the poxwalkers and burnt 4 CP on Cloud of Flies to protect them.  That highlights my gaff of starting the DS on the table.    

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Played Game 2 this past weekend.  The Battle Narrative is in the works, but here is a little primer:

PLAGUE PURGE 

ACT ONE

Battle 2 - Tech Priest Rescue

Scenario – Tech Relic

Size – Combat Patrol

House Rules – None

Mission Briefing:

When the order to evacuate the Chromyd system came down from Imperial command, much of Hive Dryoch’s citizenry,  many already refugees from Drukarhi raids, were unable or unwilling to evacuate from their homes.  With Lord Sepsis’ successful activation of the vile Malignifier network, the Hive’s critical life support systems have been infected with a ravaging plague of techno-organic parasites carrying a virulent strain of the walking pox.  But hope is not yet lost for the suffering citizens of Hive Dryoch.

Having spent a lifetime tending to the spirit sustaining rituals of the Hive’s support network, Tech Priest Enginseer Belomomus Nesot defied the retreat protocols and remained at his station maintaining the Hive’s complicated infrastructure.  Since the advent of Lord Sepsis’ assault, Enginseer Nesot has worked tirelessly to purge the Hive’s network of the corrupting techno-virus.  As Dryloch’s last remaining Tech Priest, Enginseer Nesot sent a coded signal to the newly arrived Imperial Defenders requesting their aid and protection.  Unfortunately the portents of the warp intercepted the missive and the Death Guard are closing in on the Engineer's hidden location.

Army Rosters:

Lord Sepsis' Death Guard, 500 points, 25PL:

Pestilence Ache, Maggotmancer

The Coli, Plague Marines x5, Flail, Blight Launcher

The Cestodate, Blightlords x5, Flail, Blight Launcher

The Toll Keeper, Tallyman, Tollkeeper Relic

https://photos.app.g...XxyDDNRanwxc8w5

Lt Stern's Imperial Fists, 495 points, 25PL:

Lt Stern, Primaris LT Volkite & Storm Shield

Squad Lohr, Intercessors x10

First Born Tactical Marines x5, Plasmagun

Bladeguard Veterans x3

https://photos.app.g...4f5yu17DtdoTSP7

The Mechanicum Battlefield. The battlefield came out quite sexy IMO.

https://photos.app.g...sgVrWUBsLQPsdK7

https://photos.app.g...Hrt38ZMT53hQvP8

https://photos.app.g...wWFjcqj2cK9pDB6

• Jorgend Lupus and Dr_Ruminahui like this

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Battle Narrative:

Lt. Storn didn’t have much time to act. Sgt. Atmo had just reported in from patrol. His squad had picked up a distress signal nearby but slightly deeper in the hive. It had been sent in the clear, no doubt the nearby traitors had heard it too. He told Sgt. Atmo to hold his position and await reinforcements then recalled Squad Tydis from their patrol. Time again being essential he had to leave his heavier elements behind along with honored Brother Ryzn, still undergoing minor repairs from the previous battle. He set out with Squad Lohr and his fellow veterans of the Phalanx, expecting close contact with heretics responding to the same signal. Linking up with Sgt. Atmo, he ordered his Marines to spread out in a search pattern to cover more ground, hoping they might get lucky and retrieve the tech priest before the traitors were able to respond. His wishful thought was cut short.

“Contact! Traitors dead ahead, close on!”

https://photos.app.g...hw6HP7MnMU54UcA

https://photos.app.g...4trhru5msuWYdD8

https://photos.app.g...iuHC323AmEzDie6

From the concealment of a collapsed storage fane, Pestilence Ache watched the Imperials methodologically advance out from the ruins of the manufactorum.  From behind him, the smell of burnt ozone and accompanying electrical hum of a teleport beacon signaled the arrival of The Cestodate.

"The one who eludes us is close.  The Corpse Worshipers must not be allowed to find it.  Go and disrupt their search.” 

As the Maggotmancer issues his orders a turrent of bolter fire erupts from the Imperial lines.  The high impact rounds tear through the walls of the Fane but bounce harmlessly off the ancient bubonic terminator armor of The Cestodate.  With a nod of compliance to the Emissary, the terminators crash through the ruined wall, the plascrete carnage and corroded pipes (finally) proving no hindrance to their inexorable advance.  Toll Keeper dutifully follows in their footsteps, spurring on the Lords of Blight with his call of the Tally.  Prey sighted, The Cestodate charge forward with surprising speed and despite the loyalist’s transhuman physiology, they prove no match for the plague ridden weapons of the Death Guard.

https://photos.app.g...e9iGWByTZnnmPF7

https://photos.app.g...FBErbK6UF77ezc7

https://photos.app.g...bfCWSMYJFairzZ7

https://photos.app.g...Z5hmJTgiWjxyVH8

Storn motioned for his veterans to go around the right side of the container as he came around the left to aid Sgt. Lohr. But the ancient terminator armor was just too much. Bolter fire had failed to slow them as the heretics’ blows cast the combat squad aside. Unable to aid his brethren Storn laid in as best he could, but the heretic’s armor held true. But then his vox crackled with Sgt. Atmo’s voice, lending a bit of hope to the situation.

Found him, sir!

Storn knew what had to be done, but these terminators would be a difficult task.

Sergeant, get him back to the firebase! The rest of us will hold them off!

As he dug in against the foul terminators, suddenly the vox was alive again. It was Sgt. Kord reporting on two single traitors behind the terminators followed in rapid succession by Sgt. Atmo with a fresh contact right. Suddenly things were looking even worse. It was at that moment while he was trying to process strategically that he briefly lost track of his immediate situation and was caught off-guard by the massive flail carried by one of the traitorous terminators. He was thrown back from his feet, and as he struggled to reset his failing power armor he could see the traitors shift their focus in the direction of Squad Atmo.

Brother Kord, I am out of the fight. It is up to You to Stop Them!

But Kord’s Bladeguard were caught between powerful foes as they braced for the onslaught. The traitors had a trick they had yet to reveal.

https://photos.app.g...dAjLm6dNTCzqKe8

As the Imperials secure the hidden Tech Priest, Pestilence springs his trap.  The battle tested Coli, having recovered from their fatigue at battle for the Malginifer, emerge from their hidden location bringing fire to bear upon the loyalist's as they attempt to secure the Tech Priest.

With vile generosity, Pestilence Ache calls out an incantation.  At his command, swarms of the Grandfather’s bounty seep into reality from the immaterium.  Contagious warp energy floods the Loyalist Veterans, reaping havoc on their fortitude while sapping their strength and dexterity.   Sensing easy prey, The Cestodate turn from the downed LT and descend upon the weakened Bladeguard.  Through clawed mandibles the Champion of The Cestodate, a wretched mutated mirror of the imperial veteran, speaks.  His words conjure the image of a bleak future and momentarily break the defiant spirit of the son of Dorn.

“Have no fear, corpse-sworn.  The blessed gifts have already taken hold of your flesh.  Accept their inevitability.  soon … My Brother… we shall ascend the steps of Metallica together and announce the toll of the Grandfather to all.”

https://photos.app.g...NrNhqVGFffK9M48

https://photos.app.g...kGKUph312Kz1YQA

Storn could hear his men over his still-functioning vox. They were not faring well, the psyker surprised his battle-hardened veterans, allowing the terminators to virtually shove them aside without fear of reprisal as they advanced toward Squad Atmo. The squad of heretical marines that had suddenly appeared were knocking his men out of action slowly but steadily. Storn struggled with his armor, resetting it yet another time as his Marines were knocked aside one-by-one. His men could navigate the terrain well but not without some hindrance. Their foe just seemed to ignore it. He knew his men could not outpace the traitor’s advance over the terrain in this area.

https://photos.app.g...VQB4UnsWpYDi7h7

Caught in a crossfire between the encroaching Cestodate and the newly arrived Coli, the Imperialists attempt to retreat with their prize.  But the advance of the Death Guard is inexorable and slowly they herd the the Defenders into a corner.  The Coli charge in, flails and cursed blades pummeling the First Born Sons. With brute force they pool the aged Tech Priest from the grip of his would be rescuers, securing victory for Lord Sepsis and potentially sealing the fate of Hive Dryloch.

https://photos.app.g...Dzd86j3aRcDYyKA

https://photos.app.g...NbQEYCbZZWXgwPA

The Cestodate turn their attention to the Grandfather's Toll, plague axes ready for the roll of executioner. But before they can dispatch the few remaining corpse-sworn, a massive explosion rocks the Manufactorium, littering the street with dust and debris. As the Imperial’s armored reinforcements pour into the street, Pestilence orders the Death Guard to pull back with their prize. A reckoning with the Corpse worshippers is inevitable, but for now they have achieved their goal.

Bruides but not beaten, Lt. Storn struggled to his feet. As his reenforcements began seeing to his wounded he paused to watch the majestic, unmistakable sight of giant yellow plasteel. He didn't need the belch of the demolisher cannon to let him know that one of the Company's Vindicators had arrived. But the sound was always welcomed, especially on this day. The Death Guard had stolen victory today, but the war was far from over.

DEATH GUARD VICTORY 95-0

• Jorgend Lupus likes this

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Wrapping up battle #2:

Deployment:

For our second battle we created a much more thematic battlefield which fit the narrative we were trying to craft.  It was very heavy of terrain which may have slightly benefited my DG vs my opponent’s Fists, as it limited firing lanes.

My opponent spread out his forces, looking to establish board control and take early control of the key objective.  The mission had a special Action that allows you to move the key objective which was worrisome given the slower speed of my DG.  To offset this I placed the Plague Marines in strategic reserve and planned to hold them their until the key objective was uncovered.  I then deployed the Terminators and my characters is a tight bundle near 2 objectives hoping to limit incoming fire and present a hammer against the any enemies approaching those objectives.

https://photos.app.g...MShGSqDiGRJFNa9

https://photos.app.g...B49Z4ifzurkXst6

Turn One:

The Fists won first turn and elected to go first, laterally moving up and unloading 30 bolter rounds on the terminators.  Despite landing 16 wounds I miraculously saved them all.  A good starting omen.  Unfortunately for my opponent he moved a little too far forward, and the Blightlords succeeded on a 9 inch charge on my first turn.  The charge left my characters open for counter-attack but I gambled on the extra movement being more impactful long term.  Despite spending CP on transhuman and a 6++ FNP the Blightlords landed enough wounds to eliminate the 5 man intercessors with their only buff being the +1 from the Tallyman.  The Fist’s Lt heroically intervened but whiffed landing no wounds.  The Tallyman searched the objective marker farthest right and did not uncover the key objective.  The Tallyman’s buff’s not being aura based (except for the relic) makes him well suited to performing actions.

https://photos.app.g...XU52Wghv4PDb2o9

https://photos.app.g...u5eSKbnhM5eX2H7

Turn 2:

With the Lt locked in combat with the Blightlords, my opponent had the choice of moving his Bladeguard in to support the HQ and going after my unprotected characters.  He gambled on going for the characters, but unfortunately failed the charge (difficult terrain played a role).  Meanwhile his Intercessors uncovered the key objective off to the left of the battlefield.  My return punch was devastating.  The Blightlords defeated the Lt in his Fight phase freeing them up to charge the Bladeguard who were ravished by the plague caster for 5 mortal wounds and -1 S and attacks from Gift of Contagion (an underrated spell IMO).  The Bladeguard tanked the Blightlords well, transhuman again being key, with one model surviving on a wound, but I countered with Break Their Spirits making the morale check a 50/50 and my opponent did not have the CP to auto pass.  The Bladeguard failed their morale leaving the DG with a commanding board presence.  However the plaguemarines, having arrived from strategic reserve, failed the long charge to contest the Key Objective, leaving it in the control of the Intercessors.

https://photos.app.g...X1CrNiSEQ24ij16

https://photos.app.g...a7FgCQKgUx6QSG8

https://photos.app.g...7EDxTCXLnvPh376

Turn 3 & 4:

Having secured the key objective the remaining intercessors and first born marines attempted to flee to the back corner of the table.  In return the DG advanced after them, with the Blight Launchers managing to eliminate the Intercessors.  In these small games the Blight Launcher is proving to be an unheralded MVP.  The Plague Marines managed a 6 inch advance (thank you Plague Purge Recon Stratagem to auto advance 6 inches) on T3 followed by a 5 on T4 to significantly close the gap.  This would prove significant in T5.

Turn 5:

With the game on the line, 3 remaining First Born Fists held the key objective.  Unfortunately for them, they ran out of battlefield, having arrived at the back edge with movement to spare.  The Plague Marines had a manageable 7 inch charge, which they succeeded and readily eliminated the final marines stealing victory at the bottom of the final turn.

https://photos.app.g...g3VZXAduuBSxhZ7

https://photos.app.g...te5MoYd6peQbw9A

Game Thoughts:

I really enjoyed the mission design, as although I was in a commanding position my opponent was in a position to win the game right up until the end.  In a standard GT capture and control mission the game would have been over after T2. 

I think the Bladeguard’s failed charge was the moment that sealed the game.  It was a good play IMO as if he succeeded, he was likely to kill my plaguecaster.  In return I’d have been faced with a long charge to hit the intercessors on the key objective or moving in the oppisite direction to hit the Bladeguard.  Going after that key objective would have allowed the Bladeguard to attempt a counter charge at full strength in T3.  I expect the Blightlords would still come out on top but it would have made for a closer game as all of our remaining units battled it out over the key objective in the middle of the battlefield.

I have enjoyed the nature of the Crusade missions.  They are a nice change of pace from the standard GT missions and not having to fret over picking secondaries is a plus.  The Plague Purge missions also lend themselves to being edited as necessary to fit your narrative.  For example, here we changed searching for a tech relic to searching for a hidden Tech Priest to either rescue or assassinate it.  To anyone on the fence, I highly recommend giving Crusade a try.

Also, I've been including links to game photo's hosted by Google rather than hosting them here.  Is that working, or would these posts be a more enjoyable read if I host them here and publish them in the post?

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

PLAGUE PURGE 

ACT ONE

Interlude 1 - Slave Raid

Scenario – Raid for Supplies

Size – Combat Patrol

House Rules – None

Attacker - The Mistress of Massacre’s Drukhari

Defender - Lord Sepsis’ Death Guard

With the Walking Pox ravishing Hive Dryoch, many citizens have fled for the perceived safety of the surrounding industrial fields.  Sheltering amid the ruins of crane haulers and cargo containers they are easy prey, ripe for harvest by Lord Sepsis and his diseased minions.  Unfortunately the Death Guard are not the only ones interested in rounding up the cattle as a new player has arrived on Dryoch.  Enter the Drukhari Menace!

Army Rosters:

Lord Sepsis’ Death Guard 495pts 25 PL:

Pestilence Ach, Maggotmancer

The Coli, Plaguemarines x5, Flail, Blightlauncher

The Cestodate, Blightlords x5, Axes, Flail, Blightlauncher

Biologus Nesot, Biologus Putrifier

https://photos.app.g...1zG7bPjsqqpP8N7

Mistress of Massacre’s Drukhari 500pts 24PL

Succubus, Tryptech Whip, Quicksilver Fighter

Wytches x10, All the Melee Toys

Raider, Dark Lance

Reavers, x6 2 Heat Lances

Mandrakes, x5

https://photos.app.g...2S2nuyRgT4fQDV9

MCB82

MCB82

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 62 posts

Deployment:

For the Battlefield we played on TinkerTurf pre printed die cut terrain from their first kickstarter.  The stuff is amazing and relatively affordable.  For those who are unfamiliar I recommend you check them out at https://www.tinkerhousegames.com/tinkerturf/

https://photos.app.g...pzNg4LFPsysKbH8

For the mission, the winner is whomever rounds up the most citizens, an Action that can be performed by any unit on an objective.  Each objective can only be raided a total of 3 times. I know from experience that it is impossible to hide from Druhkari on these small battlefields, and that with their speed they can assault anywhere on the board.  For deployment, I deployed offset right within easy reach of 2 objectives.  With no screening units, I am relying on the Terminators resilience to power up so I deploy them within dense terrain center board in a position to both move on the center objective T1 while also bringing my bolters to bear on the Mandrakes, hoping to eliminate them early to deny my opponent a unit that can sit back and score points.

My opponent deploys almost completely out of sight, with the exception of the Mandrakes who use their infiltration ability to deploy in the left side center of the battlefield, right smack in the open.  This was my first time facing mandrakes, and I was unaware of their ability to redeploy during the game.  (My opponent is my younger brother so Gotcha moments are prized).

https://photos.app.g...PxFfx1vDenSL9bA

https://photos.app.g...s866mQx83pykrK9

Turn 1:

Druhkari win the first turn and elect to go first.  The Mandrakes disappear into the shadows to come back T2, denying me a juicy target.  The Raider and the Reavers inch up, with the Raider claiming an objective and the Reavers inching around cover to get the heat lances in position to target my terminators.  Thankfully the Blightlords Bubonic Armor holds and the Heat Lances fail to drop any.

In response, I move the Blightlords and Plaguecaster up on the center objective while the Plaguemarines and the Biologus take the right objective.  I realize the Blightlords will get hit hard by the Wytches but I’m hoping their toughness will win out.  My caster lands Miasma on the Blightlords further buffing their survivability and smites the Raider for 2 MWs.   Decent start.  My Plague Marines open fire on their only target, the Raider which jinks (or whatever it is called now) only managing a single wound.  With the Raider at -1 to hit the Blightlords elect to fire on the Reavers but only drop 1 bike.  I do however manage to score an early 16 points from the Biologus, and the Blightlords on which I played the Mission Strat to Fire while performing an Action.

Turn 2:

Utter Devastation.  

The Reavers speed around behind me to snipe the Plaguecaster, who thanks to his new Conversion Field relic (4++ Invul) survives.  As expected the Wytches and Succubus jump out of the Raider and charge right into the Blightlords while the Mandrakes re-appear out of line of sight on the left most objective where they can farm points all game.  

The Succubus charges first followed by the Wytches.  I contemplated overwatching, but with its 4++ invul I’m realistically looking at 1 wound so I pass.  My opponent plays 2 Strategams giving the Wytches +1 to Hit and Re-Roll all Wounds.  40 Attacks, ignoring my -1 buff thanks to their Strat, wounding on 5s but re-rolling.  Natural 6s give an extra pip of AP.  They had already chipped a wound thanks to their poisoned guns which ignore T5.  It wasn’t pretty as 3 terminators are brought down and 1 is left on a single wound remaining.  Next up is the Succubus.  13 attacks, hitting on 2s (3s thanks to Miasma) Wounding on 2s thanks to its relic, AP-3 D2 (DR thankfully dropping this to D1).  60 POINTS 3 POWER LEVEL!!! Seriously GW!!!  I failed just enough wounds to vape the unit including the re-roll.  Ouch.  Adding insult to injury the Reavers charge the Maggotmancer who thankfully survives and drops a bike in return.

Needing a big return punch to stay in the game my Sorcerer powers up.  Starting off with Diseased Effluents in the Command phase the 2d3 MWs manage to drop a bike, and in the following psychic phase Smite and the Fallout manage to kill the remaining bikes except 1 which frustratingly survives on 1 wound.  The Plague Marines Move toward the center objective and unload on the Wytches but only manage 5 kills.  My opponent did make 2 6++ invul saves and may have played the -1 to hit Strat as well.  Unfortunately my dice continue to fail me as the plague marines fail their 8 inch charge.  

At the end of T2 the remaining Reaver fails its moral test and flees, but the Wytches pass and my Plaguecaster and Plague Marines are sitting out in the open ready for their beatings.  

Turn 3:

Going into T3, my only hope is that Wytches fail to kill the plague marines who in return manage to kill them, which also would award me my mission Agenda.  Unfortunately it wouldn’t play out that way as the Raider’s D3+3 Dark Lance snipes my Plaguecaster freeing up the Succubus to also charge the Plague Marines.  In a repeat of T2 (although with no Stratagems played) the 5 Wytches drop 3 plague marines and the Succubus easily cleans up the rest (she actually did enough wounds to potentially kill them all herself.  60 points...  3 Power Level…)

Going into my T3 all I have left is a single model, the Biologus.  With a small chance at securing my mission agenda he launches a grenade at the Wytches but only manages 2 kills (again a 6++ invul helps them out).  

Turn 4:

The Succubus walks over to the Biologus and politely asks him to join her in Commorragh.  He agrees.

Druhkari Victory 72 - 16

End of Game Thoughts:

After turn 2, feeling dismayed at the overwhelming power of Druhkari stratagems, I said to my brother that the Drukhari have such BS rules that they steal all fun from the game.  It was a terrible thing to say and I wish I had kept better composure, but its hard not to feel that way when one force plays so unbalanced.  Everyone knows the story by know, the Drukhari have speed, toughness, reliable high damage ranged weapons and mass poisoned weapons that ignore toughness, lethal melee units and low point cost characters who are extremely lethal.  As my brother put it, if you get within 24 inches of my raider without killing it an what's inside, that unit is going to die.

Part of my beating was poor list design going up against Dark Elder.  I had no screening units, no ability to take down the Raider T1 and a small unit count.   In hindsight I should have dropped the Biologus for poxwalkers, a decision I contemplated but decided against because the mission required Actions to score points.  My thought was that the Biologus would be able to score points while also handing out the Mortal Wounds to help get through the Wytches 4++ invul in melee.  However, as my opponent readily pointed out, you need to be alive to score! Going into the game his goal was to just ignore the mission and kill me quickly, then score some points in turns 4 and 5.  I focused too heavily on the mission and left myself open to the Drukhari alpha strike.

Not many pictures for this one.  I’d like to blame it on poor lighting, but if I’m being honest I spent most of the game curled up in the fetal position begging for Papa Nurgle to send me some units that can efficiently kill a Raider without getting smoked by S3+3 Dark Light and D6+2 Heat Lances…

Its off topic, but I’d love to hear how others are dealing with Druhkari, especially in Combat Patrol or Incursion level play.  On the small battlefield they really shine.

Dr_Ruminahui

Dr_Ruminahui

++ CONSULTUS OPERARI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,729 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's 2nd cousins

Sorry on your loss - btw, your terrain looks great.

My understanding is that dark eldar and mechanicus are currently top of the tourney rankings, so not surprising you found them difficult, especially when you when you were unfamiliar with the codex, taken by surprise by their rules and had a list that couldn't effectively counter their strengths.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users