Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Boyz?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,685 posts
  • Faction: Orks, SoB, Necrons

So, uh, looks like there's new Boyz incoming, too?

Those are boys, I'll bet my reputation on it. They don't look anything like the Beast Snaggas we've seen, and those are 100% updates on the old shootas from the current Boyz kit.

I've long been apprehensive of this day, but I'm feeling pretty excited. They'll most likely be the mono-pose/build of modern, "dynamic" miniatures, but what I care most about is how well they'll look mixed in with old boys. More variety and sizes will really lean into how irregular Orks are.

• mithrilforge, Dumah and Kierdale like this

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread (updated: 5/10/21) ||| Order of the Penitent Saint: A Project Thread (updated: 2/13/2021)
[IG 2020]Index Imperialis: Order of the Penitent Saint // IA: Dune Vipers (WiP; updated: 10/17/19, v.1) // [IG 2020]Index Xenos: WAAAGH!!! Tortoof (WiP; updated: 5/10/2020)
ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_4633.pnggallery_48988_15738_35057.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.pnggallery_30308_9518_2576.jpggallery_48988_15094_2398.png
(click on the images to see my vows!)

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 659 posts
More boyz to stomp ‘umies with?

Yes please.
  • Dumah, N1SB and Kierdale like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,864 posts
Nice, it’s about time. :tu:
Sadly, I doubt it’ll be 11-to-a-box anymore.
  • Dumah likes this

Brother Sergeant Tiberius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts
I can't see there being no customisability at all for one reason alone. We have shoota boys and choppy boys, a boys box has to make at least both of those which means at least hands or arm swaps being a thing. Well that's my thinking and hope at least

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,685 posts

I can't see there being no customisability at all for one reason alone. We have shoota boys and choppy boys, a boys box has to make at least both of those which means at least hands or arm swaps being a thing. Well that's my thinking and hope at least

Oh, certainly. Different heads, too.

My concern is the bodies, and paired arms for shootas. The way primaris and sisters of battle work is that you cannot swap torsos and legs; they only fit together in one configuration. Swapping a set of legs and torso means more cutting, gap-filling and resculpting than the older style. It also means small pose changes are much more difficult to achieve. Want to lean a boy forward? You just glue the torso on differently now, but if the kits of the last 5 years tell us anything, it's that you will have to do a lot more work to achieve that.

The result is a bunch of models that do look alike, even if the exact arms and head positioning is different. Unfortunately, that's the way GW has gone, so I won't lament it too much; the ship has sailed.

Oh, and the thing about paired arms: we no longer get long guns and a supporting arm with an open hand. That hand is now modeled onto the weapon, severely reducing kitbashing options without resorting to filing down and resculpting that part of the gun. It's an annoyance that I don't think was worth the trade off.

Edited by toaae, 11 June 2021 - 02:35 PM.

• Warhead01, Kierdale and Lord Raven 19 like this

WAAAGH!!! Tortoof, a WiP thread (updated: 5/10/21) ||| Order of the Penitent Saint: A Project Thread (updated: 2/13/2021)
[IG 2020]Index Imperialis: Order of the Penitent Saint // IA: Dune Vipers (WiP; updated: 10/17/19, v.1) // [IG 2020]Index Xenos: WAAAGH!!! Tortoof (WiP; updated: 5/10/2020)
ETL_Medal_01.gifgallery_48988_15465_4633.pnggallery_48988_15738_35057.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_9366.pnggallery_30308_9518_2576.jpggallery_48988_15094_2398.png

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,051 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Exactly that.

I've personally found with new GW kits that I HAVE to follow the instructions exactly or I ruin a model. I am not looking forward to complicated assembly where the torso is more than say 2 parts. I get it, GW wants player to use GW models or risk ruining a premium product. I feel really sad for all the new Ork player who will jump in only to send at least 60 usd per box of 10 models and find then need no less than 90 to 150 boys.  As such I hope Boys are costed in such a way, with the rest of the codex, to allow for an army to play reasonably well with a minimum of 20 boys in the list. Seriously. 

As I posted in the News and rumors thread, I hope these models are actually a new Ork troop unit, like Bigun's from the old Orc wfb armies. Like an alt take on Snagga boys. 
Or I hope these are not boys but Kommandos with access to shootas, which they lost some time ago. There are a bunch of unknown, unknowns here still. 
This could be part of a Kommando/Tankbusta kit. It is an opportunity for not only new models but new data entries for both units. Maybe they are bigger than boys, could be. 

My real issue is the same as a lot of other Ork players when it comes to these models. Just look at the flash gitz and see how little else we can do with the parts aside from stick them on Nobz and bosses. Or how then have to be clipped at the neck to take a different head. same, same. 

I am trying to find a positive to hope for with this new kit, I don't know yet I might like it. we'll see when we get a proppa look at it. 

Imagine if we just bought boys as a unit and they cam with a choppa, slugga and shoota! That would be fantastic. especially as we suspect they will go up in points. I say, "Give us more stuff so we feel less bad about it!"  

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,494 posts
  • Faction: 40k - Orks & Deldar

I just hope that it's not a copy of Heavy Intercessors...

You get a "Box of 5" New ork Boyz for $98.00 Aus cause "They're a Bespoke model that's bigger and tougher than anything else we've ever made and has over 30 different heads(that only slot into these models) 

Mithril

• Warhead01 and 01RTB01 like this

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Perry

Perry

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 953 posts
Most of my Ork Boyz are from Assault on Black Reach, so I'm not too bothered by monopose.

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,051 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

I just hope that it's not a copy of Heavy Intercessors...

You get a "Box of 5" New ork Boyz for $98.00 Aus cause "They're a Bespoke model that's bigger and tougher than anything else we've ever made and has over 30 different heads(that only slot into these models) 

Mithril

I had not thought of that. Fat Ork boys, boys stats but +1 wound and only shootas. teehee.gif

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,220 posts
They look like the Orks in the new vehicles!!

Aww yeaaaa
banana

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts
The more I look at it the more I'm sure they are just normal boys and the bare backed one is throwing the scale off. A unified aesthetic for orks in a new chunky scale would look amazing, though I feel for the people with bigger hordes I really do. Glad I sold mine off a few years ago and have only got a few boyz.

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,685 posts

The more I look at it the more I'm sure they are just normal boys and the bare backed one is throwing the scale off. A unified aesthetic for orks in a new chunky scale would look amazing, though I feel for the people with bigger hordes I really do. Glad I sold mine off a few years ago and have only got a few boyz.

Take a look at the shootas on these two:

sml_gallery_14776_14675_79475.png

They are both left handed. The boys kit only comes with one left handed gun, and it's neither one of those:

gallery_14776_14675_25493.png

In fact, neither of those guns are exact matches to shootas in the current kit. The gun on the left boy has a similar drum magazine to the left-handed shoota, but a different action and barrel. The boy on the right's gun has the straight magazine of the first right handed shoota, but a round barrel without the side exhausts.

Whatever they are, they are not current boys.

• mithrilforge likes this

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts

Take a look at the shootas on these two:

sml_gallery_14776_14675_79475.png

They are both left handed. The boys kit only comes with one left handed gun, and it's neither one of those:

gallery_14776_14675_25493.png

In fact, neither of those guns are exact matches to shootas in the current kit. The gun on the left boy has a similar drum magazine to the left-handed shoota, but a different action and barrel. The boy on the right's gun has the straight magazine of the first right handed shoota, but a round barrel without the side exhausts.

Whatever they are, they are not current boys.

Sorry I meant they are just new boyz rather than new nobz/ardboyz etc. I've built enough boys to know those aren't in the current range
  • toaae likes this

toaae

toaae

++ SECURIFER VIRIDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,685 posts

Well, my misunderstanding of your post forced me to look closer, resulting in more convincing evidence. So, thank you for that opportunity!

• Brother Sergeant Tiberius likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users