New lord release

Dread

I run overlords purely for support with a relic Res Orb, so usually a staff of light since I don't want them in combat and cheap as possible. Even then, I'd go Lord for the cheaper model.

If you wana turn him into a threat, he has to be in the Command Barge. Voltaic Staff, Gauss Cannon and Enduring Will or Eternal Madness for the warlord trait. He'll put up a good fight and score well for Code of Combat

Edited by Get Thokt

I think necrons are possibly able to play at throwing around an uncomfortable number of mortal wounds. The tesla strat isn't the most powerful of these but it's nice that you can just keep on doing it. One of my many totally untested ideas is to have two C'tan, Imotekh and a lord with the voltaic staff. It should make life pretty awkward for support characters. I'm not sure that's really a big deal though.

slightly off topic but going back to your Necron Overlords, what gear are you usually running with them?

I saw someone say they wouldn't take the staff of light, but it's my go-to weapon at the moment for my overlord on foot with the veil of darkness to teleport my warriors where I need them.

So how are you guys running yours?

That was me who said that. I’m not a fan of Staffs of Light when I have the option*, never really have been. What’s a couple extra shots and a not-outstanding melee attack going to do for me? I get my firepower from my warrior and immortal blobs, and whatever vehicles I happened to bring along. I much prefer a Warscythe, and even better if it’s the Voidreaper. Flat three damage is so good, especially when you have things to give rerolls to hit or to wound, and when you’re wounding most characters on threes or twos. Ignoring FNP is pretty good too. I build my Overlords for mixing it up with the other guy’s characters, either with a resorb or without depending on whether they’re footslogging or not.

*The exception is my deathmark lord, who I used to kit out for Mephrit in 8th as a sniping assassin. But also I built his weapon to be very much cooler than a Staff of Light, even if it functioned as that for the purposes of getting replaced by the dynasty relic.

I think necrons are possibly able to play at throwing around an uncomfortable number of mortal wounds. The tesla strat isn't the most powerful of these but it's nice that you can just keep on doing it. One of my many totally untested ideas is to have two C'tan, Imotekh and a lord with the voltaic staff. It should make life pretty awkward for support characters. I'm not sure that's really a big deal though.

Some armies live and die off their support characters so I don’t think it’s a terrible idea. Collateral damaging an Apothecary to death might be pretty handy.

‘Mortal Wounds go Brrr’ is something I’d like to try at some point but will require a Ctan probably, and that I finish my plasmancer.

=][= Also, I may consider splitting the overlord outfitting posts into a new thread depending on how much engagement it gets. =][=

Edited by Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

ah thanks for your insights, I have been running mine with the staff of light and veil as a cheap overlord to get a squad of warriors where I need to go. He is normally really useful in pinging off the last model that the warriors always leave behind.

I have 10 lych guard with shields ready to update to my new scheme, I think your load out will work well with them. Which I will be keen to try down the line :D