Index Astartes: Iron Willed Angels

OwlandMoonGuy

Index Astartes

Iron Willed Angels

The Angels Sanguine Space Marine Chapter

The Angels Sanguine Chapter was created during the Second Founding, a fragment of the former great legion of the Blood Angels. Since the Horus Heresy, they have continued the bitter war against the traitor forces of Chaos for over ten-thousand years. According to the precepts of their strict, Sanguine Mandatum, they have vowed to bring a final end to the Great Heresy with an iron willed resolve. Despite their long history, the curse of the Black Rage courses through their veins; ever depleting their numbers. The gene-flaw, also known as the Red Thirst, adds a savage taint to their otherwise noble and worthy reputation among the Index Astartes.

Origins

The Blood Angels were one of the twenty marine legions that scourged the galaxy to advance the Emperor’s Great Crusade. With the dawn of the Horus Heresy, fully half of the marine legions fell to the lure of Chaos. The traitor legions, lead by the Warmaster Horus, launched a galactic civil war that brought the Imperium to the very edge of destruction. At its height, the war reached earth itself and Horus personally lead the planetary bombardment. As the earth burned and all hope seemed lost, for motives unknown, Horus lowered the shields of his flagship. In a desperate last ditch effort, the Emperor of Mankind lead a boarding party to confront Horus. With him was Sanguinius, winged Primarch of the Blood Angels. Through the winding twists of fate, Sanguinius fought with his brother Horus in single combat only to be impaled on the Warmaster’s daemonicly empowered talon. Yet, Sanguinius’ sacrificial death was not in vain.

Wounded and spent from his battle with Sanguinius, Horus then faced the Emperor himself in brutal combat. Both fell during that battle between father and son. Horus would never rise again and the Emperor was reduced to a living corpse. Forces, loyal to the Emperor finally defeated the allied traitor legions; ultimately driving the them across space until they found refuge in the haunted region of space known as the Eye of Terror. The Imperium was saved but it would be forever changed.

To ensure that no single man could ever wreak the havoc wrought by Horus, the Codex Astartes was laid out by the Primarch, Roboute Guilliman. A key component of the Codex was the stricture that Marine Chapters were limited in size to 1,000 warriors, thus limiting the power of any one Chapter Master. The marine legions that remained loyal to the Emperor were subdivided into various thousand-man chapters. Historically, this event became known as the Second Founding. Sanguinius’ great legion of Blood Angels was fragmented into several such chapters; The Angels Encarmine, The Angels Vermillion, The Blood Drinkers, the Flesh Tearers and The Angels Sanguine.

History would soon show that the chapters derived from the original Blood Angels legion were touched by a frightening genetic flaw; the Black Rage. Their gene-seed somehow carries the resonating psychic echo of their Primarch’s sacrificial death. In battle, these marines feel an irresistible, savage drive to rush upon their enemies with ferocity and reckless abandon. Every one of them must daily exercise extreme discipline to hold its maddening affects at bay. Despite all precautions, there are those who succumb to the flaw’s effect. The afflicted lose their sense of reality and become lost in visions of their Primarch’s last battle with the Warmaster. Those still capable of fighting are organized into the Death Company and allowed to find honorable death on the battlefield. If death mercilessly eludes them their condition worsens; they become like crazed, blood-thirsty animals. The fate of these marines is the very stuff of mystery as chapters in the line of Sanguinius hide them away from all inquiring eyes.

Angels of the Iron Will

Though they did not inherit the Blood Angel’s name, pageantry or home world, the Angels Sanguine believes that they are principle inheritors of Sanguinius’ legacy. All Second Founding chapters draw strong ties to their parent legions. This is doubly true for this Chapter. They chose their name from the High Gothic form of the original legion. They consider every historical victory won by the legion as one of their own. They record their history as a continuation of the legion’s exploits. They are a Chapter locked in time; continuing forward as if they were still the same crusading Angels bent on conquering the galaxy ten-thousand years ago. The primary difference is their most urgent adversary. Before the galaxy can be justly appropriated, the traitor legions must be first be completely purged. This goal is further extenuated by the unique legacy handed down by their founding Chapter Master.

Though unconfirmed and sorely debated by Imperial scholars, the archives of the Angels Sanguine tell an apocryphal tale concerning Herionius, their first leader. According to their account, he was one of Sanguinius’ Honour Guard who teleported with the Primarch onto Horus’ cursed flagship. Imperial archives recount that all of Sanguinius’ party died during this boarding action. The Angels Sanguine tell a different story form Heronius’ personal account of that day.

The traitors pressed us from all sides. The Primarch showed with bright light and great glory. The brothers stood their ground but many died for their beloved lord. He bade us stand and flew off to face the Warmaster.

…my sword broken and having sustained many blows, I knew my life was fleeting. They came on to finish me. All at once, I was struck as if from on high by a bright light. My ears became deaf as from loud screams and my mind left me. And verily, I saw him weeping tears like broken glass. The vision compelled me, “Rise and fight ever onward for I look upon you now.

Wow, very nice piece of fluff. Almost makes me want to play AS (plus I love the color scheme ^_^)...

Great work, one lil' nitpick though is the mosaic that features Abbadon, which I think, even though already dead, should depict Horus (who knows, maybe Abaddon won't be the one holding teh Talon when they get their hands on it!?)

Very nice read OMG. It seems that you have really invested time in the background of your marines . I salute you

You mean its not really from the index astartes?? Okay thats fantastic...cept for some words that doesn't seem very "publication-ish" :)

I almost wanted to ask whether you had the fluff on the sucessor chapters.

I think i wanna change my colour scheme. :cuss

Cool <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION> anyway. :cuss

wo :D

thats one amazing read OMG (though i have to admit i stopped reading fully halfway, i did scan the sentances somewhat to see what sorta history you made up :P)

if your really dedicated youll add pictured, create a history with your game and make a "proper" codex for your chapter ;)

@OMG

Hmm what i actually meant is that the writing style is somewhat different from the index astartes.

But yours is equally good and eloquent as and if not better than most english essays. :D

Where did you get all this info on your angels?? I am trying to look for the fluff on the other sucessors. The only one i got is the flesh tearers. :P

I totally agree with Demolius, if you do that i'll probably compile it and make it into a codex and start angels sanguine.

I can only assume the issue to be the words "hero" and "Arrassamus" used in the same sentence. Hehe.
:) Actually, that has a somewhat specific BA connotation to it, i.e. the BA codex uses the term

Awsome, especially for a fellow AS player.

Interesting way to approach them but i must say i realy like and will definitley adopt this fluff for my army.

May have to model a new Hero Chaplin and first priest!!

Do you have plans to do the whole colour coding picture from the IA articles?

AR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a thought, have you considered submitting it to WD? Who knows, the fluff is so inspired, you never know what could happen... Of course, I am not familiar with WD's freelance policies, so if they require that you submit all rights to the piece just to have a look at it or something like that, forget it, just send it to firebase for issue 2 or something like that, but the article deserves to be abit more widely known

:(

• 10 months later...

pretty good

I would like to see some stuff concerning how they deal with/view the curse, the stuff at the end relating the colour scheme to it seems like an itty bit of a stretch when you don't couple it with an overview of their distinct aproach to the curse.

the stuff about the saint of the rage is nice but as I said I think you should expland more on how this saint effects the overall understanding of the BR within the chapter.

why did the angels sanguine chose baal triune?

how come they have become a reclusive chapter?

• 2 years later...

Archived