Silent Pythons

CKO

After reading other DIY Chapters I decided to make some serious changes to my chapter, I was mainly motivated by the Torchbearers. My main goal was to try to explain why the chapter secludes themselves and why they study so much. I lack the mental fortitude to do an entire IA, so I only have the origin and belief section, I think its pretty good but I need advice to shape it up and make it better.

Thanks for reading and feel free to leave comments.

Silent Pythons

spacemarine.jpg

Origin:

The Silent Pythons Chapter was part of the 3rd founding, created to help guard the Cadian Gate. The Chapter’s history is surrounded in mystery, several Imperial forces such as the 113th Cadian and the 89th Versiles Regiments claimed to have been saved by the Silent Pythons during the 1st Black Crusade, and other Space Marine Chapters acknowledge their assistance in campaigns centuries before the 3rd founding. Regardless of its beginnings the Silent Pythons are now known around the Eye of Terror, for its strong belief in the Imperial Truth and its unwillingness to accept defeat.

To understand the Silent Pythons origin you must first understand the 3rd founding. According to some sources the High of Lords of Terra exchanged ideas and debated for several centuries before agreeing on a suitable way to create Space Marine Chapters. The 3rd founding was somewhat of an experiment for the High Lords of Terra, creating several Space Marine Chapters for the first time. Examining the five percent of gene-seed sent to the Adeptus Mechanicus, it is believed that the High Lords decided that Roboute Guilliman gene-seed should be used to create the new Chapters, however there were some exceptions. The gene-seed of one of the new Chapters belonged to Rogal Dorn, and when asked to send mentors, the Imperial Fist sent Cornelius, Captain of the Imperial Fist 9th Company.

Beliefs:

To say that the Silent Pythons believe in the Imperial Truth would be an understatement, they have a fervent dedication to it. They spend hours reading about the Imperial Truth, they believe that your strength is linked to your belief in the Imperial Truth. The Silent Pythons only speak to each other during battles or mission briefings. They seclude themselves refusing to interfere with each other’s training.

They believe that all of the problems that the Imperium faces today are due to it straying away from the Imperial Truth. During the early years the Pythons as they were known back then, were very vocal communicating openly with civilians and Imperial commanders. On the battlefield they could be heard quoting the Imperial Truth before slaying their enemies; however the growth of religion greatly changed this. Some marines saw Imperial Guardsmen reading the Lectitio Divinitatus a book written by the traitor Lorgar.

The Chapter investigated the matter and discovered the growing Ecclesiarchy; outraged the Pythons made a broadcast to the entire sector around the Eye of Terror. Informing everyone that that they would not communicate with anyone associated with the Imperial Cult, changing their name to the Silent Pythons they vowed to do their duties as Astartes according to the teachings of the Imperial Truth.

The Adeptus Mechanicus favored the Silent Pythons and tried to protect them by ending the broadcast stopping it from reaching other sectors, but the damage was already done. While only in its infancy stage the Ecclesiarchy had enough followers to build up a large Imperial Fleet. The Imperial Fleet was preparing to attack the Silent Pythons, when several Black Templar Strike Cruisers appeared ready to defend their brother Chapter’s decision and their vow. The situation was growing worse with each day as more allies on both sides continued to show up, it wasn’t until the arrival of the Imperial Fist that things started to settle down.

The Imperial Fist brought with them orders from the High Lords of Terra. The Silent Pythons was to undergo a major investigation to determine if it had turned traitor. Some of their allies such as the Black Templar thought that the Silent Pythons should not have to be scrutinized for making a vow, but the Silent Pythons welcomed the investigation, they had nothing to hide as strict believers in the Imperial Truth. The investigation that followed was perhaps the most documented investigation of all time for a Space Marine Chapter. Several Inquisitors bombarded the Silent Pythons fortress monastery determined to find proof of heresy, and they were shocked at the size of their Librarium.

The Silent Pythons like the Black Templar did not have any Librarians, instead their Librarium was full of recordings. It was believed that the Pythons favored signums to aid them in battle, but the chapter used them to record events as well. Mission briefings, rituals, scouts receiving their black carapace essentially their entire existence had been recorded. When the Chapter Master was asked why they recorded everything, he answered, “It shows that we have always honored the Imperial Truth, it shows the strength that can only come from the total commitment to the Imperial Truth. All of our achievements are due to logic and science not faith, superstition, or religion our videos demonstrate the undeniable power of the Imperial Truth”.

With visual evidence dismissing all accusations, the Chapter passed their examination. The Inquisition showed recordings of battles where the Chapter had made sacrifices to honor the Emperor. The young Imperial Cult was told that the Silent Python’s vow was misunderstood and that they had decided to sacrifice their voice as a way of praising the Emperor. What was supposed to cause the Chapter great shame had the opposite effect; the entire sector praised them for making such a vow. The Inquisition efforts to cover up the incident has been futile, because of copies of the broadcast and the recordings anyone in a position of power can learn the true reason why the Silent Pythons are silent.

The recruits spend their first three months being taught the chapters history by the Chaplains. During this time the recruits have 5 hours to eat/sleep during the day before resuming studying. If a recruit is caught sleeping during lectures or not reading, they are turned into a servitor. After three months the recruits are connected to large cylindrical tubes, to start the marine creation process.

In order to receive any organ the recruit must first pass a test. The recruits must answer one thousand questions correctly before receiving any organ. The machines randomly ask questions from the Chaplain’s database, the recruit is able to convey his answer in several different ways. If he answers the question correctly he moves on to the next question, but if he gives the wrong answer he experiences pain from the tubes version of a pain glove. Most recruits answer several questions incorrectly throughout the process and manages to deal with the pain, but others experience extreme pain from missing consecutive questions that their bodies are no longer capable of being transformed into a marine and are turned into servitors instead.

This is a STUPID waste of potential. 'Codex: Space Wolves' lists TWO conditions in which Space Marines are turned into servitors:

1) When a Blood Claw acts a reckless or foolhardy manner, which causes the death of Marine with the rank of Grey Hunter or above.

2) When an apprentice Techmarine fails to demonstrate the crafting skills demanded by his master. (Also a stupid waste, but this is the AdMech we're talking about.)

Considering how difficult it is to find bodies that will accept the implants, I imagine a Chapter will refrain from turning recruits into servitors UNTIL extended observations suggest the recruit's mental and physical strength will never reach a certain level.

First thanks for posting, I really do appreciate the feed back.

This is a STUPID waste of potential. 'Codex: Space Wolves' lists TWO conditions in which Space Marines are turned into servitors:

The Silent Pythons are not Space Wolves and do things completely different from them. To counter your codex reference statement, in the space marine codex it says that servitors can be failed neophytes.

1) When a Blood Claw acts a reckless or foolhardy manner, which causes the death of Marine with the rank of Grey Hunter or above.

2) When an apprentice Techmarine fails to demonstrate the crafting skills demanded by his master. (Also a stupid waste, but this is the AdMech we're talking about.)

Space Marine chapters work in different ways, the Silent Pythons most likely have more servitors then the Space Wolves because of traditions.

Considering how difficult it is to find bodies that will accept the implants, I imagine a Chapter will refrain from turning recruits into servitors UNTIL extended observations suggest the recruit's mental and physical strength will never reach a certain level.

The ability to learn and the willingness to accept knowledge is vital to the Silent Pythons, recruits are viewed as unworthy, if they do not accept this belief.

Your fondness for orange is impressive. However, I feel obligated to point out that there is, in fact, an entire spectrum of other colors out there. Mixing it up might be nice. At least change the background color and the eye color on the Marine.

The origin of the Silent Pythons is surrounded in mystery; several Imperial forces such as 113th Cadian Regiment and 89th Versiles Regiment claimed to have fought with the Silent Pythons during the 1st Black Crusade. If this is true, it would mean that the Chapter was fighting wars for nearly a century before the Imperium acknowledged them as an official chapter during the 3rd Founding. While the origin of the Silent Pythons is in question, the geneseed is without doubt that of Rogal Dorn. The Silent Python’s first Headquarters’ Staff that insured the proper development of the chapter came from the Imperial Fist. It is rumored that the first Chapter Master of the Silent Pythons served as one of the Imperial Fist’s Master of Forges during the Great Crusade, and his knowledge of the arcane science and battle experience with Rogal Dorn greatly influenced, the Silent Pythons.

This seems...odd. They have a known HQ staff before the 3rd Founding? But 2nd Founding Chapters were basically full-strength from the get-go. ANd what does this add, anyway?

The recruits are given an axe and told they must kill a Mountain Python, to prove their loyalty to the Star Dwellers. Mountain Pythons have thick skin and are usually 20-35 feet long and weigh around 200-350 pounds.

That would actually be a very, very thin snake. Each inch would be a little less than one pound - which, if you compare to most kinds of meat, is smaller than some people's arms. For comparision, I'm about 24 pounds per foot.

In order to receive any organ the recruit must first pass a test. The recruits must answer one thousand questions correctly before receiving any organ. The machines randomly ask questions from the Chaplain’s database, the recruit is able to convey his answer in several different ways. If he answers the question correctly he moves on to the next question, but if he gives the wrong answer he experiences pain from the tubes version of a pain glove. Most recruits answer several questions incorrectly throughout the process and manages to deal with the pain, but others experience extreme pain from missing consecutive questions that their bodies are no longer capable of being transformed into a marine and are turned into servitors instead.

What do they do with all these servitors? And why do they do things this way? Why? Always why.

The Silent Pythons have a significant divergence from the Codex Astartes. All of the Silent Pythons companies except for the 1st Company and 10th Company consist of five tactical squads instead of six, and three devastator squads instead of two. The companies are alike because each one must be able to capture and control key military objectives without the aid of another company. The companies have one extra devastator squad to bolster the defense of newly gained territory. The 10th company is the scouting company, consisting of several scout squads that are dispersed throughout the other nine squads.

That would also hearken back to the Imperial Fists pre-heresy organization, where each company was identical.

Why do they do what they do? Explain further. Always further.

Also, they really do seem remarkably eager to turn aspirants into Servitors.

Its suppose to be a goldish color. ;)

"The origin of the Silent Pythons is surrounded in mystery; several Imperial forces such as 113th Cadian Regiment and 89th Versiles Regiment claimed to have fought with the Silent Pythons during the 1st Black Crusade. If this is true, it would mean that the Chapter was fighting wars for nearly a century before the Imperium acknowledged them as an official chapter during the 3rd Founding. While the origin of the Silent Pythons is in question, the geneseed is without doubt that of Rogal Dorn. The Silent Python’s first Headquarters’ Staff that insured the proper development of the chapter came from the Imperial Fist. It is rumored that the first Chapter Master of the Silent Pythons served as one of the Imperial Fist’s Master of Forges during the Great Crusade, and his knowledge of the arcane science and battle experience with Rogal Dorn greatly influenced, the Silent Pythons."

This part demonstrates that the Silent Pythons history is somewhat unknown, ancient records clash against each other to seperate fact from fiction. Their origin is odd because their first chapter master was a Master of forge, but regardless you are right Octavulg, I went from surrounded in mystery to they came from the Imperial Fist, I have made some changes to keep it mysterious.

The weight of the snakes has been adjusted.

"In order to receive any organ the recruit must first pass a test. The recruits must answer one thousand questions correctly before receiving any organ. The machines randomly ask questions from the Chaplain’s database, the recruit is able to convey his answer in several different ways. If he answers the question correctly he moves on to the next question, but if he gives the wrong answer he experiences pain from the tubes version of a pain glove. Most recruits answer several questions incorrectly throughout the process and manages to deal with the pain, but others experience extreme pain from missing consecutive questions that their bodies are no longer capable of being transformed into a marine and are turned into servitors instead."

I think I could have done a better job of explaining the importance of knowledge with the Silent Pythons. While other chapters have a deep hatred for xenos, the Silent Pythons feel the same way about the uninformed. While the Iron Hands will go to extreme measures to eliminate weaknesses, the Silent Pythons will do the same to learn or master a weapon or skill. If you do not pass the test you are viewed as to weak. I did not include enough of this in the summary, I would love to add this information but unsure where to include it, suggestions are needed.

The Silent Pythons have a significant divergence from the Codex Astartes. All of the Silent Pythons companies except for the 1st Company and 10th Company consist of five tactical squads instead of six, and three devastator squads instead of two. The companies are alike because each one must be able to capture and control key military objectives without the aid of another company. The companies have one extra devastator squad to bolster the defense of newly gained territory. The 10th company is the scouting company, consisting of several scout squads that are dispersed throughout the other nine squads.

The majority of your questions of why, will hopefully be answered when I finish my story on the Silent Python's first chapter master, and I think I may have accidently added questions that will be answered in the story.

But 2nd Founding Chapters were basically full-strength from the get-go. ANd what does this add, anyway?

The Chapter Master influenced the Silent Pythons more then the Adeptus Astartes.

What do they do with all these servitors? And why do they do things this way? Why? Always why.

Silent Python have just as much in common with a techmarine as they do a tactical squad member, and they all have servitors to aid them in the pursuit of knowledge.

That would also hearken back to the Imperial Fists pre-heresy organization, where each company was identical.

The Silent Pythons first chapter master fought with the legion before, during, and after the heresy and being of Terran decent he preferred the old ways.

Also, they really do seem remarkably eager to turn aspirants into Servitors.[/i]

A fitting punishment for those who are not capable of learning the chapter's ways.

I am not a great writer, and would like to know from a reader's perspective what needs to be explained better, and as always thanks for the feedback.

While other chapters have a deep hatred for xenos, the Silent Pythons feel the same way about the uninformed.

I'm reminded of the Thousand Sons, whose pre-Heresy motto was "The only good is knowledge. The only evil is ignorance."

Silent Python have just as much in common with a techmarine as they do a tactical squad member, and they all have servitors to aid them in the pursuit of knowledge.

You're talking as if you have a magic wand that can turn any Marine it touches into a Techmarine. Assuming every single Python has the necessary intelligence and dexterity to be a Techmarine, the Chapter must be EXTREMELY careful in choosing recruits, a time and resource-consuming process which may make its leaders EXTREMELY reluctant to put Battle-Brothers on the frontline.

For example, a 21st century cavalry troop will keep its maintenance crews in the rear- NOT at the frontline, riding into battle with the unit's tanks and helicopters- because it must invest so many resources to the maintenance personnel's training, and their duties so vital to the unit's continued battle-readiness, the maintenance crews cannot be risked in all but the most desperate situations.

Also, they really do seem remarkably eager to turn aspirants into Servitors.

A fitting punishment for those who are not capable of learning the chapter's ways.

As I noted, the Chapter's ways seem to doom it to never seek battle, unwilling to risk its precious Techmarines. It seems stupid to lobotomize so many people with just enough physical and mental fortitude to be a Battle-Brother, the least of which are superior to the best of the servitors. Aaron Dembski-Bowden' 'Helsreach' describe servitors dying because they can't even feel hungry, or feed themselves!

It is rumored that the first Chapter Master of the Silent Pythons served as one of the Imperial Fist’s Master of Forges during the Great Crusade, and his knowledge of the arcane science and battle experience with Rogal Dorn greatly influenced, the Silent Pythons.

This seems very unorthodox for me. AM and Astartes as separate entities, and so Techmarines are treated with suspicion in most Chapters, and all except the most Tech friendly keep them at arms length. The Master of the Forge is even more withdrawn and insular, so the odds of even a rumor of this being true seems very unlikely. Why would the IF give up one of their Masters of the Forge, to lead a new Astartes chapter? It seems unbelievable to me.

With aid from the Adeptus Mechanicus, the Silent Pythons turned Curesy's only moon into a forge world. The forge world is used as a place of refuge for damage ships in the Segmentum. Near the Eye of Terror ships come to Curesy's moon to be re-armed and re-paired, when in fighting condition again the ships will leave for war, usually with a company of Silent Pythons.

So do the Silent Pythons run this Forge-Moon? Forge Worlds are the domain of the AM, and all we know of the AM paints them as guys who DO NOT like to share things. Why would they build a personal Forge-Moon for the Silent Pythons. Even if it is used by any and all Imperium forces as a resupply/waystation, why would the AM not simply use or convert a more suitable world, one which they control entirely?

The Spectacle usually produces a large amount of recruits each year, but the Mountain Pythons eliminates around fifty percent of the aspirants. The recruits spend their first three months being taught the chapters history by the Chaplains. During this time the recruits have 5 hours to eat/sleep during the day before resuming studying. If a recruit is caught sleeping during lectures or not reading, they are turned into a servitor.

So in addition to losing roughly 50% of their recruits to really big snakes, they also lobotomize them for daydreaming? Or napping? Do they get a slap on the wrist or a cuff upside the head as warning first? Or is it right to the servitor room?

Most recruits answer several questions incorrectly throughout the process and manages to deal with the pain, but others experience extreme pain from missing consecutive questions that their bodies are no longer capable of being transformed into a marine and are turned into servitors instead.

And again, even MORE recruits are lost for what seems to be no reason. Knowledge is good and all, but they need SOME recruits. How do they recoup the losses after heavy campaigns if they end up killing/lobotomizing so many recruits before they even begin? It seems like you're crippling the chapter outright.

The constant hypnotherapy makes the recruit slip in and out of consciousness, which interferes with certain organs producing the right amount of hormones, most notably the biscopea. It is common for Silent Pythons to be slightly shorter and in many cases physically weaker than the average Space Marine.

The Astartes are super-human warriors that are required to go head-to-head and toe-to-toe with the most dangerous and strongest enemies of Mankind, in every possible arena. I find it difficult to believe they would willingly give up their super human strength for nearly any reason. They need their enhanced musculature to move their extremely dense and solid bones effectively, as well to fend off the hammer blows of a Daemon powered Traitor Marine.

The Silent Pythons are siege specialist that have a unique style to fit the needs of the Imperium. The Silent Pythons prefer to go into enemy territory and capture vital structures that are pivotal to the enemy success such as; command buildings or factories. With enemy territory under the Silent Pythons control the opponent is forced to react. If they attack they will find that the Silent Pythons have established a miniature base, and similar to their founding chapter the Imperial Fist, the Pythons are stubborn and rarely retreat. Once the enemy has exhausted most of its resources attacking, the Silent Pythons strike back with a large devastating attack that usually ends the battle. If the enemy retreats the Pythons continue to grab important territory, until all of the important positions are under their control. Without proper resources the war is usually won within a matter of days as the enemy is slowly eradicated.

I really like this. The take and hold strategy definitely works, especially for IF descendants, and it is strategically sound. Very cool.

"Hold On To Honor and Show Your Strength"

Perhaps drop the On, and make it "Hold to Honor and Show Your Strength"? Just a suggestion.

Mmmm bronzey warriors of bronze :D I can't say anything though haha, my marines are done in Grey Scale, so who am I to talk?

First as always I will like to thank you guys, for giving me feedback as it allows me to fix problems that I cannot see from constantly viewing it from one angle.

"You're talking as if you have a magic wand that can turn any Marine it touches into a Techmarine. Assuming every single Python has the necessary intelligence and dexterity to be a Techmarine, the Chapter must be EXTREMELY careful in choosing recruits, a time and resource-consuming process which may make its leaders EXTREMELY reluctant to put Battle-Brothers on the frontline."

When I say they have more in common with a techmarine, I was trying to describe how the Silent Pythons live, constantly preparing themselves for war. This is similar to any other chapter but the Silent Pythons spend time reviewing dataslabs compared to hours in sparring cages.

"As I noted, the Chapter's ways seem to doom it to never seek battle, unwilling to risk its precious Techmarines. It seems stupid to lobotomize so many people with just enough physical and mental fortitude to be a Battle-Brother, the least of which are superior to the best of the servitors. Aaron Dembski-Bowden' 'Helsreach' describe servitors dying because they can't even feel hungry, or feed themselves!"

Why would the chapter never seek battle? As marines they love battle just as much as any marine, every battle is an opportunity to show what they have learned. Maybe the canidates have enough mental fortitude to be a battle-brother in other chapters, but in the Silent Pythons that characteristic must be your strong point. It is very common for chapters to have a no tolerance for certain things, my chapter has a no tolerance policy for learning disabilities. :HQ: I hate to call it that when its more like not being able to reach a certain standard.

This seems very unorthodox for me. AM and Astartes as separate entities, and so Techmarines are treated with suspicion in most Chapters, and all except the most Tech friendly keep them at arms length. The Master of the Forge is even more withdrawn and insular, so the odds of even a rumor of this being true seems very unlikely. Why would the IF give up one of their Masters of the Forge, to lead a new Astartes chapter? It seems unbelievable to me.

The story of my first chapter master will answer most of these questions. The IF after the Iron Cage, split up into their chapters and Rogal Dorn use this time to master the Index Astartes. It would seem that he was more willing to try and accept things during this time and letting one of his high ranking officials go oversee the building of a chapter I think would be acceptable.

So in addition to losing roughly 50% of their recruits to really big snakes, they also lobotomize them for daydreaming? Or napping? Do they get a slap on the wrist or a cuff upside the head as warning first? Or is it right to the servitor room?

:D , no tolerance is no tolerance.

And again, even MORE recruits are lost for what seems to be no reason. Knowledge is good and all, but they need SOME recruits. How do they recoup the losses after heavy campaigns if they end up killing/lobotomizing so many recruits before they even begin? It seems like you're crippling the chapter outright.

Every city on the planet has a Spectacle, they have more then enough recruits. If they suffer heavy losses from campaigns(which they have) they will leave out the hunting the mountain python part, and recruits will go straight to the library.

The Astartes are super-human warriors that are required to go head-to-head and toe-to-toe with the most dangerous and strongest enemies of Mankind, in every possible arena. I find it difficult to believe they would willingly give up their super human strength for nearly any reason. They need their enhanced musculature to move their extremely dense and solid bones effectively, as well to fend off the hammer blows of a Daemon powered Traitor Marine.

They didnt give it up, its a flaw in their geneseed. They are slightly weaker, and I agree with you that strength is neccessary, but they have learn ways to work around their flaw such as modifying their weapons to gain an advantage on a particular foe.

I really like this. The take and hold strategy definitely works, especially for IF descendants, and it is strategically sound. Very cool.

Why thank you, but it wasnt good enough to keep up with those Eldar! :D. Imagine a joint effort between the Silent Pythons and Shadow Keepers, you causing chaos why we take over key facilities!

Perhaps drop the On, and make it "Hold to Honor and Show Your Strength"? Just a suggestion.

I actually like that, maybe "Hold on to Honor, Show your Strength".

Why thank you, but it wasnt good enough to keep up with those Eldar! :D. Imagine a joint effort between the Silent Pythons and Shadow Keepers, you causing chaos why we take over key facilities!

They're so fast! That would be quite the sight though.

You answered most of my questions, but I still have a good degree of incredulous-ness about a Master of the Forge becoming Chapter Master. However, I'll withhold judgement till you give a more detailed explanation B) Also, you didn't explain how they got their own forge-moon.

It is simply a small forge world ran completely by AM, it is built close enough to a chapter that is willing to protect it. The Silent Pythons have always been involved in missions where they are extracting rare technological artefacts from planets, and because of their willingness to do these things they are rewarded by the AM.

Could you pm me the code to the Shadow Keepers link in your sig, I am doing something wrong.

Why would the chapter never seek battle? As marines they love battle just as much as any marine, every battle is an opportunity to show what they have learned. Maybe the canidates have enough mental fortitude to be a battle-brother in other chapters, but in the Silent Pythons that characteristic must be your strong point.

Again, LOOK AT 21st CENTURY ARMIES. Techmarines are armorers and maintenance crews, responsible for maintaining and repairing a Chapter's weapons, weapon systems, vehicles, vox and other communication systems, auspex and other sensors... These people are TOO PRECIOUS to risk on the frontline, except in the most desperate situations.

In turning the Silent Pythons into an army of technicians and mechanics, you make them too precious to send into battle, because these skills are needed IN THE REAR- armories, motor pools, maintenance shops, and depots- where these specialists are needed to clean, maintain, and repair equipment. In short, your army is all tail (maintenance and support personnel), no teeth (infantry).

Bjorn, the 41st millenium isn't even close to the 21st century we live in now, so you can't make that comparison so directly. Remember that this is the same universe that puts chainswords on every possible soldier and tank that it can get away with and often uses Sci-Fi versions of ancient historical battles or armies (sometimes incorrectly too...see Fyodor Karamozov). The techmarines that we have seen in all the fluff and games both tabletop and video are extremely heavily armed with power fists, flamers, plasma cutters, and even conversion cannons which make them VERY PROFECIENT in combat, which given their DUAL role as both the armourer as you said but also a warrior monk battle brother of the chapter makes sense.

However, I recognize that the above mentioned are really just 40k's examples of what the Techmarine should be and I realize that your logic is sound regarding the realities of the logistics that a Techmarine would have to face. But GW doesn't care about those issues which really puts the fault on them but thats just how this universe is. Although if we were to use 21st century armies for examples, the Techmarine would probably be placed with the role of the Combat Engineer or even Sapper since they are combat elements as well but are proficient in construction or vehicle repair (depends on which MOS of course or cross training.)

In turning the Silent Pythons into an army of technicians and mechanics, you make them too precious to send into battle, because these skills are needed IN THE REAR- armories, motor pools, maintenance shops, and depots- where these specialists are needed to clean, maintain, and repair equipment. In short, your army is all tail (maintenance and support personnel), no teeth (infantry).

I used techmarines as a reference to demonstrate how dedicated they are to studying, I never said they were techmarines.

Maybe I should make some adjustments, what in the IA makes you believe they are all techmarines?

Well, it looks like everyone's covered the serious points with you already, so I'll bring up my only real gripe.

That name. That name. "Silent Pythons". It just... doesn't have any punch to it. I think I see what you're going for (heavily influenced by the initiation test of killing the Mountain Python, I'm assuming), but the Silent part isn't really explained. They don't seem to favour stealth, instead going all-out to take the enemy's most valuable fortifications, and they don't place any emphasis on secrecy, two things which I could see influencing the choice of "Silent" as a prefix. They don't attack in silence, they've got a battlecry. Maybe a total lack of psykers, making them essentially "voiceless" in terms of psychic communication...

You've got me trying to think of something more dynamic now.

...damn it.

I know they're your own Chapter and your say is obviously final, but how about something with a bit more oomph to it? Something like.. Striking Snakes, or Knights Serpentis, or Serpentis Guard, or Striking Vipers, or, or...

I don't know. But I do think that name is going to hold you back.

Od.

P.S. This is probably just me, but any mention of Pythons also makes me think of the infamous comedians of the same name. Hard to picture Eric Idle in power armour. John Cleese, though! Ho ho, he'd make an excellent Captain.

They have secret ties with the Adeptus Mechanicus, they use their comms system to communicate in battle, and they are anti-social. Those are some of the reasons why I used Silent.

I used techmarines as a reference to demonstrate how dedicated they are to studying, I never said they were techmarines.

Maybe I should make some adjustments, what in the IA makes you believe they are all techmarines?

You overly emphasize the Chapter's focus on learning- admittedly a problem shared with whoever wrote the Blood Ravens' fluff, but seeing the Ravens in battle, dispels the notion the Chapter is full of limp-wristed bookworms.

You need to tie the Chapter's focus on learning, with its reason for being- WAR. Take the Thousand Sons in 'A Thousand Sons' as an example; they're focused on learning and gathering knowledge, but this focus is expressed by a "the ends justify the means" ruthlessness, in which:

1) When the Space Wolves prepare to destroy a xeno library, whose contents the pre-Heresy Thousand Sons want, the Sons were prepared to use violence and sorcery against the Wolves, to preserve their goals.

2) The pre-Heresy Thousand Sons openly consorted with daemons, and used sorcery, despite other Chapters' disapproval.

Describe the Silent Pythons' ruthlessness against obstacles in their way- against enemies OUTSIDE THE CHAPTER, not against its own recruits- and the problem is solved. For example, you can describe them supporting a Magos-Explorator's excavation of archaeotech on a xeno world, have an Inquisitor show up and demand the Magos surrender what xeno artifacts he excavated, for destruction by the Ordo, and have the Marines assassinate this Inquisitor- with the Magos' approval, of course- and hide the body.

• 2 weeks later...
Too much name dropping. The Black Templars wouldn't just defend because of they like Vows. You need to rework exactly why the Black Templars got in the middle of a fight between Imperium factions. Also, more name dropping with the Imperial Fists. In addition, the whole time you talk about the Imperial Truth, you are over saturating it. Perhaps mention it "The Imperial Truth" once early on, and refer to it simply as "The Truth" later. Continually hearing again and again about "The Imperial Truth" seems like a lot of overkill. Otherwise, I like the changes for the most part, more believable I think.

Should I take out the names and just say allies?

I used Black Templar and Imperial Fist because they are linked by primarchs, and being around the Eye of Terror they would have fought next to several other Chapters.

The July 17th draft is a significant improvement over the previous one. I'm surprised, however, that a book written by the Primarch of the Word Bearers Traitor Legion was allowed to circulate post-Heresy. (Maybe I should read the 'Horus Heresy' novels, to see if Lorgar wrote the book under a penname.)

Are there any suggestions? The Imperial Cult is perhaps the strongest organization in the Imperium and to have a chapter that doesnt respect their beliefs can lead to some interesting scenarios, such as refusing to protect shrine worlds or something of that nature. I can go in several directions but I am not sure which way to go.

Are there any suggestions? The Imperial Cult is perhaps the strongest organization in the Imperium and to have a chapter that doesnt respect their beliefs can lead to some interesting scenarios, such as refusing to protect shrine worlds or something of that nature. I can go in several directions but I am not sure which way to go.

Note: Damn near ALL CHAPTERS disrespect the Imperial Cult, believing the Emperor to be the greatest man to ever live, but a man nonetheless- NOT a god. 'Codex: Space Wolves' even states the Chapter fought a months-long WAR against the Ecclessiarchy and two orders of the Sisters of Battle, because some brainless priest thought to investigate Fenrisian faith- calling the Emperor "Allfather," creator of the world, and sire of the god Leman Russ- for heresy!

Archived