My "Save the Emperor!" army.

thade

This is a massive wall of text. <3 Don't hate. And please don't blindly hit QUOTE when you respond.

Army construction is in progress.

• 8 Paladins are assembled and based, each with a magnetized hand weapon. Two models psycannons, both of which are also magnetized. They all have gold paint on them.
  • One Librarian is in a similar state to the Paladins above: based, magnetized hand weapon, gold paint.
  • Draigo model is assembled and G.S.'d. He has nothing "Draigo" on him except for the shield, so he's officially "counts-as Draigo" and not actually Draigo. Take that, Mr. Ward.
  • The Canoness in TDA is assembled except for her head and clothy bits.

I will be doing this with the new GK codex.

My "Command Team"

Three members of Adeptes Custodes. I'm using models from Scribor kit-bashed with my GK and marines to make them, all gold and fancy with tall heads and red plumage and cloth. Fluff suggests they're tougher than Astartes so I will counts-as them as Paladins. (See First Heretic.) They stand out like whoa visually, as they look dramatically different from any other model in the GW line and are significantly taller and broader than marines. On big bases they'll do. It will also allow me to stick with within a larger Paladin unit, for the awesome. While it's been stated (by ADB) that they are not psykers, these three particular Custodes appear to be.

One helmetless Custodian hero that will count as a Brother-Captain or a Grand Master; I'm not sure yet which.

An epic Brother-Captain recruited by the Custodians. He will Counts-As Draigo. I will be using the actual Draigo model, grinding off any Draigo-specific attributes. I admit it's a bit pretentious of me, but honestly I just can't fathom any model that costs less than 3000 points actually being the Draigo I read about in this army book. Draigo is in the warp kicking the crap out of demon-armies on a daily basis, never faltering, never sleeping, and eating who knows what. This model will simply be an epic Brother-Captain. I will fuel the pretentious-thing and dub him Brother-Captain Thade. (That way if you felt uncomfortable making fun of me before, you now have a legit window to use.) In theme I don't want him to be a Grand Master; if for no other reason than the simple fact I really like the way "Brother-Captain" sounds.

A Canoness to which the Custodians have been assigned, under the pretense that "The Emperor has chosen her." She has been given holy Terminator armor and a Daemon Hammer. In game terms she'll be a counts-as Ordo Malleus Inq. with TDA. Currently she's being modeled with a storm bolter...but I'm leaning very strongly back on the combi-flamer idea.

My forces

The Brother-Captain's team consists of:

Paladins. Fifteen of them. Hand-weapons magnetized (no falchions) and set up for wound allocation games.

A Dreadknight. He'll be magnetized too, but I may as well melt the Incinerator to him for all the love I feel for that weapon. Seriously. A. Giant. Bamf. Flamethrower. What's not to love?

A GK Librarian because I have always loved Librarians.

I also want:

A Sisters of Battle unit: I really want this, and the only way I can see it working is if they counts-as Warrior Acolytes with boltguns and power armor. I'd have to just accept the lower-than-standard BS/WS as otherwise they're a pretty good fit. I'd only want two of three of them anyway, and the way henchmen bands work it's certainly doable. I could also throw in a legit Banisher. I may be "waiting for plastic" to do this, though.

A Callidus Assassin, requisitioned by the Custodians. (I'll be using a non-GW model for her, from the Infinity game.)

An "Ad Mech" presence...some tooled-up tech priests with Conversion Beamers or Orbital Strike relays (counts-as tech marines).

Themed objective markers.

I have one of the old metal ven dreads, so I'll be converting him over into GK fanciness, eventually. He's got an assault cannon. I refuse to use Riflemen in my GK force because they're too popular. No, really. Also, I use them in my marine force and want this force to be starkly different.

This is easily between 2500-3000 points, so I'll be able to have some variety in my week-to-week lists once it's all done. I'll also make some other things later, just to play with: I'd like a Purg squad just because, and a full compliment of Temple Assassins, all converted from other models/games as I detest the GW assassin models. I will be doing a Crowe conversion because 1. I actually like the concept of him and 2. I'm basically daring myself to field him sans Purifiers enough times to get good with him. Months and months of modelling and painting. Mmmm. :tu:

Story?!

This is where the Objective Markers come in: baroque looking objects (books, etc) for them to recover. Possibly some alien-looking tech as well. (No idea. Eldar/DE/Necron bits likely.) Possibly some peasant models; people which they need to retrieve/rescue/slay/take something from/whatever.

I'd like to leave the details (understandably) ambiguous here. Most of the battles/games I play with them can't be on Earth as - frankly - why would IG, DE, or Necrons be on Earth with this kind of frequency as well as in numbers/strength equal to my own force and not draw attention to it all. How are these forces getting on to Earth? Why? Why do the Custodes know about it (that's easy, Deus Ex Emperor) and why are they covering it up? For how long can they cover it up? Much easier to have them leave Earth; there's precedent for this, at least in the Horus Heresy series...no reason to believe they're not still being deployed from time to time.

Invasion Earth Story Idea

This idea has been sacked.

Artifact/Relic Hunt

This one would actually allow my little force to "leave Earth" (Custodes or no) as they are in pursuit of whatever-the-Emperor-told-them-to-find. Pariahs. Artifacts. Just kill the freakin Dark Eldar, they're annoying me. Whatever. We had a discussion in Amicus that more or less settled on "You know, it's not that much of a breech for a handful of Custodes to leave Earth, so long as the Emperor said to do it," so I'm not uncomfortable with this idea. Given what a breech I'm making anyway with my Custodians all being Psykers, I don't feel so bad with them leaving Earth.

The Canoness vs. Ordos Hydra

Yep. She's been charged with hunting down the Ordos Hydra and their allies/sympathizers, as well as any relics/equipment that may help them with their tasks, and engaging virtually any force where a Sensei may be nearby (so as to bring the force to the Sensei's attention so that they may escape). The bonus here is that it gives me a lot of context for virtually any battle my army gets into. The downside is that it nearly falls into the "using someone else's material to make my own seem important" trap.

And so...

If you have any other ideas, I'd love to hear them. How can I make this army fly? I like very much to imagine how each game I play fits into the story. With my marines, it's easy: if the target is a marine force, it's a training exercise/friendly means of working out rank-and-file aggression. If it's Xenos or Heretics, that makes just as much sense. I want this same thing to work with my GK, but honestly I'm not a fan of them constantly coming to blows with Space Marines (especially BA, there are a lot of those around here). Although, they're Grey Knights and Custodians following around a Living Saint guided by the Emperor himself. Honestly that kind of makes it easy to justify literally everything they do as sanctioned and correct, whether they win or lose.

Thanks again for reading. :D

UPDATE (7/28/11): The "command team."

UPDATE (8/19/11): Story added, Ordos Hydra. Also to note: Nine GK nearly done.

UPDATE (9/1/11): Lots of minor edits to reflect changes given recent conversations on this board. Added a progress snap-shot. Added the epic Custodian hero idea and the Librarian.

EDIT (6/21/12): I fixed a typo that's literally months old. And laughed at myself. Also, I'm working on this army again.

Lol, this sounds good. For teh sake of a small argument though, Space Marines don't need sleep :tu:. Part of their enhancements allows them to shut off parts of their brains at differant times so that tehy can go without sleep for a while. :D

Also, IIRC the Horus Heresy follows through with the Custodes being tougher than Astartes, so I think you could get away with them being stronger if you wanted to.

Another suggestion for creating the Custodes is using an eldar head? Custodes always reminds me of super bulky eldar. Maybe if the heads are too skinny you just greenstuff it.

Just some ideas, but the army sounds sweet!

I've used a eldar plastic guardian bare head to make a nice looking one, with the finer features and slightly longer hair (but within regs!) it makes a nice female head. The other option is scaring up the helmetless head from a SoB immolator, which is a plastic sister in the gunner seat.

Hoo boy, am I excited about this project! :D

First off: command team. Excellent. Suggestion: why not make your Canoness a counts-as Brother-Captain and simply not use the psychic powers? Honestly, the model is worth the points even without the powers. (I know the points isn't really your concern, but it is one of mine :rolleyes: ) The only thing you'd run into is people being able to use anti-psyker stuff against her, though with understanding opponents you might be able to sell your case. ("I won't ever use a power with that model, mind not using your anti-psyker bonuses against her?") And besides. Incinerator! The downside with this is you won't have an actual Inquisitor to tug along your Warriors-who-are-actually Sisters.

The only thing my logic alarm goes off on is your first idea of Custodes/Purifiers/Paladins. The way I see it, old school Custodes are epic- more Astartes than the Astartes. The only MF'ers who are bamf enough to protect the big E. I mean, Astartes are bamf, but Custodes are BAMF. If you put Custodes on the table who are just as easy to kill and not any more potent than normal Marines (Purifiers) AND drop some Grey Knight Paladins down alongside them who completely outshine them... Doesn't fly to me.

Suggestion: stick to your idea that the Paladins ARE your Custodes. I vaguely recall that the "real" Custodes wear Power Armor, not TDA. Don't bother me with trifles. These guys are "actually" in Power Armor, but they're just such BAMFs that they're super tough. Tough like 2 wound Marines in TDA with FnP :lol:

If you can't jive with the Custodes wielding Psycannons (like all good Paladin squads should) what about Assault Cannons? With, you know, special ammo that only the Custodes can gain access to (psybolts)? This also doesn't prevent you from adding Psybolts to the GK squads, since, you know, those are actual Psybolts and not some extra special ammunition that the Custodes have.

Now! Story.

I'm skittish of the Terra warp storm thing; I'd hesitate to tell my opponent "you're not actually Blood Angels, you're actually Daemons masquerading as Blood Angels." I'm much more of a fan of the Deus Ex Imperator angle. Also, you don't need the Emperor to command the Custodes to take care of business. Follow my logic here.

The Custodes are, for our purposes, effectively Astartes? Aye.

The Custodes would then have a command structure, outside of Emperor > Custodes? Aye.

Astartes are independent in their pursuit of the Imperium's goals? Aye.

The Custodes' primary mission is to protect the Emperor? Aye.

If all of those things are true, then the Grand Master/Chapter Master/Most BAMF Custode has the authority to send his Brothers on missions if the following two things are true:

1) The Emperor cannot be under immediate local threat such that the departure of a handful of Custodes would imperil his safety. (Besides, if the palace were under seige, the Custodes ordered to leave would smack the leader upside the head and say "Foo', what the hell you be thinkin'? My place is right here with the big E!") Edit: even in this situation, the story can support the "in the most dire of times, the tiniest number of Custodes had to leave the Emperor to find the magic thingamajig to save the day- and since they were so few, they comandeered friends!"

2) The mission to be undertaken will directly result in the safety of the Emperor being reinforced in some way.

#2 can even be stretched a bit to "indirectly", as well- it all comes down to the situation ^_^

Example: Blood Angels/descendants are operating relatively close to Terra. The Custodes are given information which may or may not be accurate (poor communications, garbled reports, mistaken eyewitnesses, etc etc) that causes them to see the BA's as a threat to the stability of the region or in some way a threat to the Emperor- perhaps stories of atrocities committed by BA's under the Red Thirst/Black Rage reaches them through their networks.

The Relic Hunt is, of course, easy as pie. Knowledge isn't the only thing that is power. Maybe the Custodes aren't just holding the Golden Throne under lock and key- maybe they're also sitting on a stockpile of gagdets and gizmos and mystical whirlybobs that have been confiscated from heretics and traitors, just to keep them out of the hands of other heretics and traitors. And out of the hands of the Inquisition too, because Emperor only knows what the =I= would do if it got its hands on the mystical whirlybob.

In closing...

Don't hate me for also wanting to field my Paladins as Custodes :lol:

You're preaching to the choir with that; my Custodes shall be Paladins. 40mm bases sound fine to me.

One subtle issue is that apparently a Custodian is not a psyker...so says A D-B, who lashed out at Mikal over the topic; I assume it's an inside joke? Either way, the man is paid to write about this stuff and is one of the few writers I've gained some respect for, so I'm a bit adverse to contradicting him. I feel if my Paladin unit contains a few Custodes in it, they can just reap the benefits of the GK casting. It'll only be a bit dodgy if they're the last ones standing and still use Hammerhand or suffer from anti-psyker weaponry. Then again, I would like for them to be psykers. :tu: OOPSISAIDIT.

As someone has said, it should be a non-issue in friendly games. I hardly intend to ever play in a large, sanctioned tournament, let alone put these guys forth as canon.

Eh, they don't need Holocaust; something you could do is make the Apothecary an obvious GK and give him the Banner as well, and resolve all your Holocausts from him so the rest of the squad can fire their normal weapons- and the Apothecary isn't missing out on ranged attacks since he doesn't have a ranged weapon. Or like you said, use him as the GK in the squad who's casting Hammerhand to buff the Custodes.

Think of the story behind it, too: the Apothecary is one of the best of the best, so he gets tapped for the mission when the Custodes call. They then grant him the honor of carrying their banner and nominate him to be attached to their squad in combat. How's your freehand? Think you can make an awesome Custodes banner? :D

Haha my freehand is...well. Yes. My marines have little shields on their shoulder plates. One color. They loom "fine" at a glance but won't hold up to close scrutiny. I can stay in the lines and washes are my friend. Freehand needs work.

Definitely think I'll use the Scribor models because they look awesome.

First 4 terminator kits are base-coated. Krylon Metallic was a super-easy base coat (went on well with very little fuss). Here's hoping paint sticks to it. :D It looks good anyway.

I have yet to base coat Draigo, but he (and the Paladins) are right behind my SM tac squad (which is very nearly complete) and three apothecaries (which are each at about 20%). Odds are high that - once the Tac squad is finished - I'll start assembly/painting my first five Paladins and do them alongside the apothecaries.

Anyway, here is my first draft list (weighing in at 2000 points):

HQ

"me" counts-as Draigo (who I'd like to note has Psychic Communion) (yes, I get a kick out of counting-as-Draigo)

"The Canoness" counts-as an Ordo Malleus Inq.

• TDA w/ SB, Daemon Hammer, Combi-flamer, Servo-skulls x3
  • Psychic Communion (pending this)
  • I still need a head for her.

Troops

Paladins x10 w/ Psybolt Ammo

1. Apothecary w/ Halberd
  2. Psycannon w/ Halberd
  3. MC Psycannon w/ Banner
  4. Psycannon w/ Sword
  5. MC Psycannon w/ Sword
  6. Halberd
  7. Hammer
  8. MC Halberd
  9. Nemesis Warding Stave
  10. Sword

Paladins x7 w/ Psybolt Ammo

1. Psycannon w/ Halberd
  2. Psycannon w/ Hammer
  3. Hammer
  4. MC Halberd (Custodes, using Scribor models)
  5. Halberd (Custodes)
  6. Falcions (likely a double-bladed halberd-looking thing) (Custodes)
  7. Sword

Elite

Callidus (this model, converted. yes, it would make a fine as-is vindicare. I will use another model for my vindicare. <3)

Heavy

Dreadknight w/ Hv. Incinerator, Personal Teleporter

With two stacks of Psychic Communion, I gain pretty impressive control over when my Callidus arrives, helping to maximize her potential "golly I HATE YOU THADE" effect; with the Servo-skulls (which were cheap) I could even DS either the DK and/or one of the two Paladin units (though I'm a bit loathe to have even just a single Deathstar on the table...perfect wound-allocation control or not, I'm worried about just how much damage they'd take even in the absence of AP1/2 salvos). Not to mention that Grand Strat can potentially give one or more of my units Scout, allowing me to deploy very far forward. This is probably what I will do most often, as (frankly) in the absence of APCs I need as much forward movement as possible (unless it happens to be CnC). I am a fan of the outflanking/shunting Dreadknight idea. Servo skulls, in any case, tell my opponent I have the ability to DS and might help me to mislead him as to my Deployment intentions.

Also, I could drop the skulls and go with Brain Mines, which look fun. And the idea of Paladins having Counter-attack makes me giddy.

I'm pretty pumped about this list, and the fact it's only 21 models is insanely cool to me. I love being outnumbered. Call me weird.

As always, your thoughts are welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Per nurglez request, here are some in-progress pics (now that both my tac squad is re-painted and two of my four apothecaries are complete and table-worthy).

So there are five paladins that which have their weapon-hands magnetized: two of them have heavy weapons arms which are magnetized (for the inevitable day I forgo psycannons to try out something else). I'm admitting to myself that I will likely never take a squad with falchions (saving that for a PAGK squad) and the one Custodes I'm planning for "falchions" will instead get a two-headed/double-ended halberd mod. (The things look silly.)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/567/pallies1.jpg

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9236/pallies2.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2535/pallies3.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7512/pallies4.jpg

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7051/pallies5.jpg

Not pictured is the beginnings of my "sister in TDA"; I'm currently studying up on green stuffing capes/cloaks. I'm skeptical as to whether I can do it, whether it will look good, and whether it will be a pain to paint. Also, I'm not confident it will be very durable...but maybe I'm under-estimating green stuff.

The idea to include "Adeptus Custodes inspired" models is very interesting. I always desidered to build Adeptus Custodes models but I never had the right "inspiration" ;) since I wanted the models to be as accurate as possible.

I know several persons will say it is nearly impossible for Adeptus Custodes to leave Terra but, as I already said in other topics, it's your army so you have the right to create its own "fluff".

You wrote some interesting explanation for the Adeptus Custodes inclusion in your GK army. I see nothing wrong in creating an "exeption" to the main fluff.

For example the Custodes may have joined your GK army in order to fulfill a very critical mission for the Imperium. The Grand Master may have asked their assistance for the mission.

I don't know if you are familiar with RPG/action videogames ^_^ but in most of them the main character has to gather a squad for a critical mission recruiting individuals belonging to various factions . I don't see why it cannot apply to the 40k universe.

If I remember correctly Adeptus Custodes are trained for undercover missions, a good reason a Grand Master may require their assistance, especially if he must act behind enemy lines, or something like that, with no direct contact with HQ. He needs every possible skill and Custodes excell in what Space Marines are not trained for. From the Custodes point of view I suppose they will be glad to help GK, the creation of their Emperor.

How did you magnetize your models? I know many experieced 40k hobbists may already know the process but I'd really like to read some sort of tutorial. Of course I could just "glue" the magnets on the minis but I look for a "neater" process. Thanks

For terminator arms, I (now) use the 1/16" diameter by 1/8" cylinders from K&J Magnetics (the height gives me something to hold onto while I plug them in). I have a 1/16" bit for my Dremel, which I use at the lowest possible setting. Before touching the Dremel to the model, I pre-drill a hole with my pin vice (just a little bit) to help me guide the actual drilling. (I eyeball it to center it as best I can.)

Two very important things to keep in mind are that 1. it's much easier to take mass out of the model than to put it back in; and 2. it would hurt quite a bit to drill into my fingers. So I use a very, very small clamp and some creative gripping to ensure that my fingers are NOT the back-brace for drilling, and I drill in very, very small bursts, clearing the area and checking the depth (with a bent paper clip). I've also carved up a chunk of sprue such that it's 1/16" inch or thinner which I use to press magnets into the holes I've drilled (you don't want to do it with anything metal as the magnet will gleefully leap to it and - if it can - glue it self to it). For these particular magnets I was happy to learn that they are strong enough to hold up weapon hands but not strong enough to yank each other out of the sockets they're pressed into...so, no glue was required this time.

The arm was the easy part: lots to hold onto and a lot of mass between me and the drill. Again, pre-drill with the pin vice then slow, short bursts on the lowest setting. Once the hole seems to be slightly deeper than the height of the magnet (keeping in mind that the drill will make the center of the hole deeper than the edges, by its nature) I'll insert the magnet and push it in. If it doesn't go all the way in, I've got needle nose pliers on standby with which to yank it out again (it's okay that it's metal, it only helps me to remove the magnet...on which I'm not using glue). I want it slightly deeper just in case I can't get the magnet far enough into the hand (those hands don't have a lot of depth to them).

The hand is the hard part: again, short, slow bursts, erring on the side of safety (both for the model and for my fingers). No glue required here, I just stuck the magnets in and pressed them deep with my little carved bit of sprue.

Don't make the hole in the arm too deep: the closer the magnets are, the stronger their attraction, and you want them to be strong enough to hold on. :) Also, I think I'll avoid painting over the magnets themselves as metallic paints have metal flakes in them. Probably won't hinder it at all, but no reason to risk it (considering the trouble I went to). I'd be happy to answer any questions about the process. :) All in all it's taken me two evenings of work to magnetize nine Paladin models. Oh, and I put their heads on! Shoulders are next...then I can actually paint some. @_@

Happy to oblige. No new picks, but I'm up to nine assembled paladins now. Working on their bases so I can paint them. The bases were an event as I want each one to have a wound marker (I'll post pics eventually) and I had to drill lil holes into their sides and glue tiny bits of sprue underneath to "catch" the ball-headed needle. Yea, that needs pics. I'll do that. :lol:

I'm curious to see your Custodes, Thade. I hope you'll post some pic when you finish them.

I noticed you used a silver primer. Unless I'm not mistaken the base coat of your Paladins seems to be a silver primer. I used the same tecnique for my own GK. I had terrible experience with GW spray pistol and a good quality primer is a appreciated asset.

I suppose I should post some pics of my GK here on B&C. I hadn't the change to paint many models, though.

The base coat is in Krylon Silver Metallic Spray Paint. I do a wash of Chainmail (GW paint) which is slightly darker (but still bright as the undercoat is bright) and that gets the color I like. ;)

Sheepishly, I have yet to order the Custodes models. I will probably do that very soon though. While they won't be as epic as that other gentlemen's work, I'll post some pics just the same.

I used Army Paitner Plate Metal primer and I got nice effects. I don't know if it is a trait of all metallic primers but I was able to create different tones of metal (simulating the effect of light) on the armour by simply using "brief and controlled bursts".

This created a more natural and not monotonous tone of silver. Few Highlightings and the armour was ready. The armour's details, weapons, purity seals etc were painted in the "standard way" but I must recognize the primer served me well in giving an acceptable look the the silver armour.

I read you plan to use scribor models for the Custodes. I heard quite often about them, and I saw several photos, but I never had one of them in my hands. Are they nice models? I know the most relevant issue is the different size of GW models, that frequently prevent players from using other minis. Are scribor models compatible with GW Space Marine minis' scale?

I just ordered them last night; ordering process was a lil' wonky as they're a small outfit, but hopefully I'll get my models. :D Here they be:

http://sciborminiatures.com/i/conversion_parts/big/sf_roman_legionary_set_01.jpg

The only issue I have with them is that they measure in at (ostensibly) 28mm instead of 32mm...which I can hopefully make up for by jacking up their bases with materials/decorations for them to stand on. (It is only a 28mm difference, but they're supposed to be on the level with Astartes.) Still, I couldn't help myself: the models look so appropriate that it's almost as if it's what they're intended for.

I also picked out a set of shoulder plates for them, to differentiate them from my Paladins proper.

http://sciborminiatures.com/i/conversion_parts_2011/big/shoulderpads_angels_2_01.jpg

I felt those angellic pads fit the Imperium theme very well. The models already have the front-cloth pieces going on, but I might - either via GS or with SM bits - go for some clothy bits on their shoulders/arms. Not sure yet.

As for the arms and weapons, I'll be converting either GK paladin arms or PA arms for the task. Here lies the final trick. On the one hand, the data I have on them suggests that the halberds look like melee weapons but are actually laser-weapons. On the other hand, the cover of First Heretic actually shows a small boltgun-like object mounted just below the halberd head. (That does not look like a laser weapon.) A further (slight) complication is that every left GK arm is fitted for a storm bolter, which Custodes definitely do not get. Easy answer: space marine left arms with empty hands. Harder answer: carve up and green stuff the GK left arms to mask the SB placement point.

Lots of thinking to do there. It's okay, I've only got two of my first unit of Paladins based. Basing the rest of that unit is today's task. :)

the models look so appropriate that it's almost as if it's what they're intended for.

I agree. They seem truly Adeptus Custodes. I heard about the size difference. However I doubt anyone will notice a huge differece on the table. A problem can rise only in a tournament when they require that at least a given "percentage" on the mini feature GW components. I play only in "friendly tournaments" at my local store so I don't have such issues :P.

Have you ever thought about a only Custodes army? It is one my 40k projects wishlist for a while but I never had the chance to start it.

On the one hand, the data I have on them suggests that the halberds look like melee weapons but are actually laser-weapons. On the other hand, the cover of First Heretic actually shows a small boltgun-like object mounted just below the halberd head. (That does not look like a laser weapon.) A further (slight) complication is that every left GK arm is fitted for a storm bolter, which Custodes definitely do not get. Easy answer: space marine left arms with empty hands. Harder answer: carve up and green stuff the GK left arms to mask the SB placement point.

They should even possess Grav-Rhinos and Jet-Bikes.

This is one of the diffuclties I encounter in planning an "Adeptus Custodes" army.

For the laser weapon you could still use the Holocaust psychic power, casted by an apothecary, who does not have a storm bolter. Or you can leave the storm bolter when it is. If SM can have storm olter why Custodes should be unable to field them?

I don't know where I read it but a source said Storm Bolter is more recent than Bolter and it was not used during Great Crusade and Horus heresy: that's why chaos space marine don't use it.

If this information is correct, the reason we didn't see storm bolter on custodes is because they were not available at that time. In the last year of 41st Millenium Custodes may have updated their armoury.

Just a thought. Beside I cannot find the source about storm bolter's origins.

I'm just going to have the halberd/laser-weapon-thingies Counts-As Psybolt Ammo storm bolters...so they'll behave the same way that the rest of the unit does (which seems to be the most sensible to me). As for doing an entire Custodes force...that's a lot of really expensive Scribor models or annoying conversions from Elf Spearmen...too much for me. Besides, I really dig the Grey Knights and want the bulk of the force to consist of them (given the story I'm shaping up for them).

Re-capped, three Custodes (I'll use the fourth model as an occasional BC counts-as) are charged by the Emperor to guide a Living Saint (the Canoness) in her "ascension" (whatever that means. not sure even the Custodes know). Part of this involves retrieving some artifacts and routing out some demons...things that the Grey Knights excel at, so the Custodes invoke some ancient code or edict or some such that allows them to requisition...basically whatever they want, so they tell a Brother Captain "gather up your homies, you're comin with us".

So, it's just the three of them and - as such - they don't bring their fancy bikes or floating APCs, using instead the GK's resources.

It's a WIP, but I kind of like how it's shaping up.

I'm just going to have the halberd/laser-weapon-thingies Counts-As Psybolt Ammo storm bolters...so they'll behave the same way that the rest of the unit does (which seems to be the most sensible to me). As for doing an entire Custodes force...that's a lot of really expensive Scribor models or annoying conversions from Elf Spearmen...too much for me. Besides, I really dig the Grey Knights and want the bulk of the force to consist of them (given the story I'm shaping up for them).

I agree. Beside Elf spearmen have a too much different size from Space Marine. The look very small. I believe the GW more close to Custodes look may be Honour Guard but the models are not cheap, since they are sold with Calgar finecast model. Maybe Calgar armour can be modified for that purpose but 50€ ( 56$ or 36£) for 5 models is insane if you have to buy multiple kits for a 25/40 models army.

I'm sure FW will have some other interesting model but when you need to assemble an entire army you need plastic kit.

Several weeks ago I saw in the FW newsletter a pic of a MK3 armour with a helmet very similar to Custodes' ones. I suppose it was an exclusive mini for a Games Day.

I understand why you want to expand your GK army. I like GK so much that not only they become my main army but I'm even expanding y army beyond strict game's necessities.

My GK force reached the levels of a large scale invasion force. I even named every single model in my army :( while I usually named IC and Sergeants.

I started to write the "fluff" of my GK Strike Force.

Part of this involves retrieving some artifacts and routing out some demons...things that the Grey Knights excel at, so the Custodes invoke some ancient code or edict or some such that allows them to requisition...basically whatever they want, so they tell a Brother Captain "gather up your homies, you're comin with us".

The ancient code or edict may even be the reason for a collaboration. I may be wrong but I don't think a GK Brother Captain would accept orders coming from individuals outside his Chapter even if an Adeptus Custodes. Formally not even the Inquisition has the power to give orders to GK "officer". Ordo Malleus and GK cooperate but, if I'm not mistaken, GK are not the personal army of Inquisition.

This another thing I like about Grey Knights: they function above any other organization within the Imperium. They are like the Spectres from Mass Effect series, I don't know if you are familiar with it.

I really prefer the new codex fluff: in the previous editions sometimes they appeared like a SM version of SoB, now they are uber-cool warriors with a basic rule : "get the job done" :D and the job is to save humanity.

It's a WIP, but I kind of like how it's shaping up.

I'm really curious to see how it evolves. Keep us informed, Thade.

haha, awesome. Thinking of the Grey Knights as the Spectre-element in 40k just made my day.

Apparently the Spectre-element of 40k should be the Inquisition but they lack the military assets the Spectres are famous to deploy.

Inquisitors can recruit every military organization for their missions but such military reasources don't belong to Inquisition.

Deathwatch is very similar to Mass Effect Spectres. Unlimited authority, they answer only to Ordo Xenos, advanced equipement. They are tasked to perfom undercover/infiltration missions etc.

Grey Knights are simply the best warriors within the Imperium, thus their abilities are very similar to the ones Spectres require. Beside they answer to no one. Formally they should answer only to the Emperor but sadly he cannot be an active figure in the Imperial policy.

In the end I believe both Deathwatch and Grey Knights represent the Spectre-element in 40k.

Many Spectres in Mass Effect acted nearly like a one-man army and if I had to pick a warrior like that in 40k he will be a Grey Knight.

I have learned there is a huge difference between "fluff" and "table-top mechanics". Just look at what Captain Titus from the incoming Space Marine videogame is capable to do. I'm sure a GK Grand Master would even more skilled.

I think the Mass Effect famous line "Spectres are not trained, but chosen. Individuals forged in the fire of service and battle—those whose actions elevate them above the rank and file."fit GK perefectly.

Well I know even GK are "trained" but you can understand my point ^_^ After all Paladins are not trained: they are chosen after they proved their valor

Slow and steady...because I'm being pain-staking about it (want them to look good) and otherwise engaged (assembling a dwarf army to try out fantasy finally).

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/2523/img0303tx.th.jpg

Guy on the far right, front, is my librarian conversion (note the BOOKS; there's also one on his butt too); happy to say that the head with the piping sticking out of it really isn't a bad way to model a hood (given the brothers each have hood-like constructions over their heads anyway). He'll be getting a blue tabard and, probably, the books will be blue, as well as the right shoulder plate letter-less part. As for the warding stave, well...it - like all other melee weapons - is magnetized in my army, so I can swap them out at will. That particular staff was actually on the sword-wielding guy next to him, right up until just before I took this picture. Ultimately everybody will have a variety of magnetized weapon options...the only exception being falchions. For these, my custodes conversions will get special weapon conversions (dramatic emphasis!) that will counts as falchions.

As you can see, they're metallic silver (krylon metallic silver base, wash and some drybrushing with chainmail). The gold was the painstaking part...dry brush with shining, dry brush with burnished (which was probably unnecessary), wash with devlan mud (to darken the recesses), highlight/drybrushing with burnished again (to brighten up what the mud just darkened).

The bases are a rusty red...spray paint with some subtle black paint drybrushing; so near the rusty red GW color - I forget the name - that I'll use that to drybrush any decorations I stick on there. I hand-painted the black on there (I think successfully) to make it appear that the red sand is on the base top alone. The goal here is Mars (or a Mars-like world), covered in rust-dust, as it were. I'm going to go with snow flock: terraformed with a greenhouse effect or not, if it precipitates, it's eventually going to snow...I hope. IT'S AN ARTISTIC DECISION. QQ I might skip the flock. Not sure yet. What do you think?

Despite the amount of brushing (and the waste of paint that drybrushing is) I'm happy with their progress so far. The tally is presently seven paladins and the one librarian.

Not pictured here is Draigo, who at this time is setting (had to green stuff his arms to him to fill in the gaps); he's pending clean up (scraping off of excess GS) and then, finally, a base coat. His base is all ready for him. :P Going helmet and sans banner, as - recall - it's a Counts-As Draigo, not actually Draigo himself. (I can do whatever I want with my little army manz.)

Archived