A Canoness...and a Psyker?

thade

Okay, before you blow me away here, hear me out. <3

Sisters of Battle are "Witch Hunters" (or at least used to be in that codex). I have always been under the impression that being the "anti-psyker brigade" means that they're not big on the usage of psykers. I may be wrong; that would be helpful.

In any event, if you're not aware, I'm trying to make a fluffy army involving a tiny force of GK (paladins), Adeptas Custodes (also Paladins), a Calidus assassin, and a Canoness (who is an epic bamf, counts-as Inquisitor model).

I would like very much for her to have Psychic Communion without breaking the already tenuous grip my army design has on legitimacy.

Here are a few ways I can do this, as I see it:

• The Canoness isn't a Psyker; it's her Faith that's doing it. I see this as weak, dodgy, and a cheap cop-out. I hate it.
  • The Canoness is a Psyker and everybody's okay with this. Only acceptable if I don't understand Adeptas Sororitas.
  • The Canoness was a latent Psyker and has (more or less as a result) been "promoted" into an Inquisitor.
  • Give up on Psychic Communion. She's not a Psyker; it's ridiculous to think she ever could be.

I'm already forgoing psybolt ammo and the psycannon on her because, frankly, she's not a GK and can't activate those things (in my mind). She's getting the Hammer because, frankly, I think it's awesome for a Canoness to have a giant freakin hammer; otherwise she's getting a combi-flamer.

So, I put it to you all (who are more knowledgeable than I regarding the Ecclesiarchy and its forces); any chance I can make this work without putting even more bullets into my feet?

Thanks. <3

Would the best plan not to be a Ord Heret Inquisitor then? in Power armour and not go with the psy powers for fluffs sake and take something like power sword infurnus pistol that seems fitting without throwing fluff to the wind.

I don't think that being witch hunters means anti-psyker, it means anti-sorcery and unsactioned psykers. But perhaps I'm wrong, I admit I haven't read the background on these gals much so I'm basing my judgement on impressions and not so much reliable knowledge of the fluff.

Would the best plan not to be a Ord Heret Inquisitor then? in Power armour and not go with the psy powers for fluffs sake and take something like power sword infurnus pistol that seems fitting without throwing fluff to the wind.

Yes, and...that's what she is: Ordo Hereticus. However, I want her to wear Terminator Armor...so she's a double-counts as. ;) if you take my meaning.

I've done some digging, but my hope is that someone who 1. owns the WH codex, or 2. has read some Sisters/Ecclesiarchy-related stories will be able to guide me here. :)

I did note that the Hereticus Inqusitor can also take Psychic Communion (which is encouraging)...but he/she is not specifically a Canoness.

I sense I have been summoned ;)

Alright, lets take it from the top...

Psycannon and Psybolt ammunition are entirely legit. Fluffwise psycannon ammunition is made from powdered/distilled essence of Sensei (I think from old fluff) as an anti-psychic component, and can be wielded by those who are not psychic. Rare and expensive but entirely usable by a non-Grey Knight.

As far as psyker Witch Hunters go.. the Ordo Hereticus is an interesting point as far as puritans/radicals go. The divide between a radical Ordo Malleus is much more clear, as is a radical member of Ordo Xenos. But are witches All psykers, who technically would include the Emperor himself, or merely all psykers who are not licensed by the Imperium to function? Are Space Marine Librarians witches? What about Navigators and Astropaths, both necessary for the Imperium to function at all? What about the psychic Inquisitors, who themselves use psychic powers to help combat and contain other psykers? At what point do you know someone is a witch?

It would seem to me to be relatively unlikely that someone would serve in the Sororitas long enough to make Canoness and be a latent psyker. There's enough Witch Hunters in the Ecclesiarchy and the Ordo Hereticus that rub shoulders with the Sororitas that it seems like someone would clue in eventually. That being said.. unlikely does not mean impossible. You can also have a very devout Inquisitor.. the Thorians particularly actively believe the Emperor has ascended to divinityhood. That belief is not incompatible with the tenants of the Imperial Creed as taught by the Ecclesiarchy.

However, if I may point something out... the Sororitas and Ecclesiarchy have an entire area of fluff that you seem to have skipped so far... Living Saints. Sebastian Thor, Celestine, and numerous unnamed others have all been found to be completely pure of chaos influence, un-mutated by the warp, and capable of feats and powers that defy explanation. Sebastian Thor quelled entire warp storms for cryin' out loud. There are active areas of study concerning the Living Saints, particularly by the Thorians in their research of Divine Avatars.

With my knowledge of Warhammer fluff of the Ecclesiarchy, the Emperor, Divine Avatars, Living Saints, Sensei, etc... do I feel it is entirely possible for a devout Sororitas to receive communication from the Emperor from beyond and be acting as his vessal for the duration of a battle, receiving the minute benefits of guidance and foresight that psychic communion represents? Absolutely.

You're not giving her a force weapon.. she has a nudge about when to call in her reinforcements via vox for maximum effect. Go for it :wacko:

I think a lot of what has been said covers what you need but the bit that ruins your whole idea is this

"However, I want her to wear Terminator Armor..."

nowhere flufwise do sisters EVER wear Terminator Armour...... its power armour or nothing...... the Ordo Herecticus Inquisitor would be a perfect counts as...... the Psychic power ddoen't have to be 'Psychic' in nature maybe shes just using advanced vox systems???

I don't think that being witch hunters means anti-psyker, it means anti-sorcery and unsactioned psykers. But perhaps I'm wrong, I admit I haven't read the background on these gals much so I'm basing my judgement on impressions and not so much reliable knowledge of the fluff.

they hate psykers of any form , including navigators , librarians and astropaths . they dont even accept that emps was a psyker all his powers are god ones by the church . they tolerate sanctioned psykers like astropaths or navigators because of charters made by emps , but they still hate them .

I sense I have been summoned ;)

To be honest and fair with you, Nicole, I had very much hoped you would weigh in here. You sensed correctly.

Psycannon and Psybolt ammunition are entirely legit...

That is a cool thing; it means I can magnetize her after all. :D

That being said.. unlikely does not mean impossible.

Perhaps not ironically, that very mantra lays the foundation for this weird little force I'm putting together.

However, if I may point something out... the Sororitas and Ecclesiarchy have an entire area of fluff that you seem to have skipped so far... Living Saints.

I believe you didn't just give me license to create my own Living Saint. ;) In all seriousness, I see what you're saying; she could totally have been bestowed with Psychic Communion-like abilities via direct Emperor intervention. It would even make sense for things like Psychic Hoods to cancel it (they'd just be jamming the connection/signal).

You're not giving her a force weapon.. she has a nudge about when to call in her reinforcements via vox for maximum effect. Go for it :)

This is an interesting point you make, Nic. The Hammer she gets as an Inquistor isn't (I believe) a force weapon...and I won't be giving her the force sword along with the psychic upgrade. Even if the hammer is (it maybe, codex is at home) I won't use it as such (no, really). Actually, I'm thinking of using one of the SW Thunder Hammers I've got with some mild conversions for her. (Mild conversions because I don't see a Sister wielding Space Wolf weaponry. Just saying.)

nowhere flufwise do sisters EVER wear Terminator Armour...... its power armour or nothing......

Actually, I started a thread on this recently to determine whether this was the case: you can see the discussion here. In short, the reason that Sisters do not wear TDA is a question of resources. Terminator armor is limited and maintenance of it is difficult and costly. These factors, combined with a priority system (GK, Astartes, Inquisitors) mean that Sisters just don't get their hands on them. Nothing says they could not wear it were it in fact available to them; she has no black carapace...but neither do Inquisitors. She gets some new cybernetics, some upgrades to old ones, a custom skin suit and fitting and bam. She's rockin a re-fitted holy reactor repair suit.

DIY-fluffwise, this Canoness has been hand-picked by Adeptas Custodes to assist in whatever the heck they're doing. It makes sense to me that they'd be like "Yea, she's exactly what we need; so says the Emperor, so it shall be done. Give her Terminator armor!"

The Hammer she gets as an Inquistor isn't (I believe) a force weapon.

It is, actually. When purchasing the Malleus TDA, they are given a Stormbolter and a Nemesis Daemon Hammer. ^_^ IIRC, of course.

I'll confirm that, since I use one regularly.

I'll also agree that I see the termy armour as the biggest problem. There isn't a single instance of terminator armour in the entire Codex:Witch Hunters. If you want a Cannoness, make her an OH Inq and give her OH-y things.

Well, I don't know about that. If he's heading in the direction of Living Saint, I'm sure the =I= or Mechanicus can spare one set of TDA for a personage of that stature :devil:

^This. Or something else.

She's getting Terminator armor. I've already established a woman can wear and wield it, and that Sisters don't have it because it's given to Ordo Malleus and Adeptas Astartes. There's little of it to go around, and that's the pecking order. Well, this Canoness just stepped up in the pecking order.

As for the Hammer...it's a Thunder Hammer. I will willingly omit its usage as a Force Weapon. It's easy, I just never choose to activate it.

This is going to happen. :teehee:

You could call it counts-as Terminator armor. It has the same benefits and problems, it's just not terminator armor.

Good in theory, but that could be a little bit awkward to explain. Even-tougher-than-Artificer-Artificer-armor, yet just as clunky as TDA? How do you explain that? It would just be simpler to use the justification of "higher on the pecking order" and give her a real suit of TDA that looks so good on a lady on a 40mm base. :teehee:

You could call it counts-as Terminator armor. It has the same benefits and problems, it's just not terminator armor.

Good in theory, but that could be a little bit awkward to explain. Even-tougher-than-Artificer-Artificer-armor, yet just as clunky as TDA? How do you explain that? It would just be simpler to use the justification of "higher on the pecking order" and give her a real suit of TDA that looks so good on a lady on a 40mm base. ;)

Have to agree there; counts-as would overcomplicate it, and the only barrier to slapping a canoness in Terminator armor is the fact that normally their aren't enough suits (and tech-adepts qualified to maintain those suits) to go around. If this woman's bumped up to Living Saint, that puts her more than high enough on the totem pole to make it plausible that she has some very nice gear.

Also, am I the only one who's a bit curious to see what a Sororitas-ified suit of Terminator Armor would look like?

Also, am I the only one who's a bit curious to see what a Sororitas-ified suit of Terminator Armor would look like?

The answer to that, my friend, is a resounding

OOOH ME PICK ME!!

I cannot wait to paint this chic. With luck I'm retrieving a nogging or two from my gaming group tomorrow night.

you should look into Rogue Trader & Dark Heresy: Ascension they have a lot of rules and backgrounds on inquistors and how they are promoted, as well as things to deal with latent psykers. It might be helpful. If I have the time I will reread and then post my thoughts :P

you should look into Rogue Trader & Dark Heresy: Ascension they have a lot of rules and backgrounds on inquistors and how they are promoted, as well as things to deal with latent psykers. It might be helpful. If I have the time I will reread and then post my thoughts :P

I don't know where I'd find these resources...so I'd definitely appreciate you doing so, if you find the time. ;)

Can't just Ordo Mallus Inq use Terminator Armour? And if so it will be a force hammer so you have all the daemon bane stuff on it.

I'll use it as a Daemon Hammer; same weapon sans Force Weapon.

The objective here is to be fluffy while still within the rules. You can see my mission statement here.

Does the psyker/force weapon have to be a result of psychic power - latent or otherwise?

Why not a brain in a jar (or the head of a hammer!) set with a dial allowing it to broadcast a beacon or wide area jamming signal. Since it is basically a brain in a jar it's in a fair bit of pain which could be transmited through a suitable contact.

If it can be jammed by a librarian, it's psychic. It could be her. It could be the hammer. But it's gotta be psychic. Considering its a loss of one force-weapon in a list full of force weapons, it's a small thing that makes her feel a bit more authentic to me.

Archived