LPC 2012 - Stopping my procrastination!

Hexagon Sun

Hi all,

I've been mostly lurking in here for a while but I thought i'd join in the fun and finally get some mini's finished! Just got back into things after a 12 year break from the hobby so still catching up with everything really. I dug out all my old models and found my old (mostly unpainted) Dark Angels army so they seemed like the obvious choice since i've always loved the fluff. I seem to manage to spend an awful lot of time just going back and forth between which way to paint everything which means I seem to do nothing overall. The LPC seems like a good excuse for me to stop being so indecisive!

My vow is just a tactical squad so nothing too stressful, then hopefully that'll give me the kick up the backside I need! I've ordered an Army Painter Angel Green spray so I can prime with ease. Hopefully i'll get some WIP pics up next week though they'll only be iPhone ones. You would have thought at 30 years of age i'd finally own a camera but no...

Why I'm only a fresh faced young un' but I've just finished a Photography A-level, and even I don't have a camera to my name, things could make a lot less sense in life :)

A 12 year break? *Low whistle*

Welcome to the rock, it's awesome to see such a veteran return to his duty, break out those dusty old models, brew up and get cracking eh?

Every great marine commander starts with just a humble tactical squad, there really is no better place to start!

Good luck with your vow mate!

Thanks for the words of encouragement :D

I tried taking some photos with my iPhone of some WIP scouts that have too much paint on them for the LPC and they're not too bad so it should be ok! I'm hoping to get started painting tomorrow at some point...

The last time I actually played 40k might even have been 2nd edition, though do have my younger brothers 3rd rulebook too so I possibly played with him at some point. Makes me realise how long it's been when I think of it like that!

So i've had a slight change of plan...

I'm still doing a tactical squad but i've got some new ones. My older models are a little battered and also the quality of the casts is annoying me now I've seen the new plastics etc! But as a test i've done this old plasma gun model just to get me going a bit more. C&C welcome, it's a little rough around the edges mind as i only spent a couple of hours on it!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/plasma_basecoat.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/plasma_complete.jpg

Thanks guys!

I'm impressed with the Army Painter spray primer, saves a lot of time and gives a nice even coat so that's most of the hard work done already.

@Tengo - Those eyes are such a pain on the older models... one is bigger than the other and they're a different shape?! It was one of the main deciding factors in just getting the new plastics if i'm honest. Along with the chest eagle being a pain because the detail is often obscured.

@Semper - I've included a close up of the scout for you, he's still WIP and the camera has washed out his face but you get the idea!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/scout_wip.jpg

So coming soon... i've bought some new stuff and also a went a bit ebay mad... i'll end up with roughly this I hope:

2 tactical squads

2 Terminator assault squads

1 Captain

1 Razorback

1 Land Speeder

1 AOBR Terminator squad

5 vets + more robed bodies/parts for the tacticals or a possible command squad.

1 Dreadnought (Bargain and badly painted so i'll be stripping it)

I guess i'll have a bit more to paint after the tactical squad... :D

Thanks guys!

@Tengo - Those eyes are such a pain on the older models... one is bigger than the other and they're a different shape?! It was one of the main deciding factors in just getting the new plastics if i'm honest. Along with the chest eagle being a pain because the detail is often obscured.

So coming soon... i've bought some new stuff and also a went a bit ebay mad... i'll end up with roughly this I hope:

2 tactical squads

2 Terminator assault squads

1 Captain

1 Razorback

1 Land Speeder

1 AOBR Terminator squad

5 vets + more robed bodies/parts for the tacticals or a possible command squad.

1 Dreadnought (Bargain and badly painted so i'll be stripping it)

I guess i'll have a bit more to paint after the tactical squad... :D

Phaha, tell me about it, I was tempted to use a bunch of 2nd edition marines to bulk up my numbers, but after studying some of the slightly later marines I have in my possession, I decided that it's just not worth it, I'd go crazy trying to work out how to paint all the missing detail!

Also that scout is great! the colours are really bold and vibrant, is that citadel paint on him?

And in one fell swoop, you've obtained pretty much my entire marine force to date, way to catch up and make up for lost time!

Also that scout is great! the colours are really bold and vibrant, is that citadel paint on him?

And in one fell swoop, you've obtained pretty much my entire marine force to date, way to catch up and make up for lost time!

Glad you like him, the face has some depth to it in person and i'm still see-sawing between bone/silver chest eagles. Basically because I saw Ancient God's DA's and thought it looked awesome http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=222707 I also wasn't sure about the brown pants and bags but I darkened down the bags with some more devlan mud/badab black washes and they've got a bit more separation now.

It's all citadel paint on him yeah, it's come out nicely so far!

I'm going to have to make sure it doesn't turn into a habit of buying lots though. This could get expensive really quickly! I'll not have it all painted that fast mind... i've got Robaphobia... i had a nightmare with my Ezekiel model back in the day and i'm scared to touch robes again. The vets will be interesting to say the least... I may have to study bevulfs a bit more as his look immense so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I seem to have got carried away with new purchases... so here's the majority of the stuff I bought over the last couple of weeks! The list is pretty much as I said earlier...

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/boxes.jpg

2 tactical squads

2 termie assault squads

1 AOBR termie squad

9 vets (got some unboxed sprues missing 1 body)

1 razorback

1 ven dread

1 land speeder

1 commander

So I started work on 5 bolter marines to get me started and mixed a few DA bits in there for good measure. I've done all 10 bases too so they're just sitting waiting. Does anyone have any thoughts on the special weapon and sgt load outs I should put on? Suggestions welcome!

Anyway... some photos, I noticed they're a bit rubbish but they'll do for now :P

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_basecoat.jpg

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_basecoat_close.jpg

Thanks guys, it is indeed cork! Thought i'd jump on the bandwagon as they look pretty cool. They're actually the first bases i've EVER finished properly which is an achievement. Look at my old models from years ago they're all either bare metal/plastic or basecoated and stuck together with blu-tack since I was always so hesitant about painting them!

Thanks Louis, it was out of wargaming entirely, everything went in the loft in boxes and that was that! All of my mates who played either gave it up for beer/girls or went away to uni so I didn't see the point. Then a year ago I played WoW for a bit and it was a upward/downward slope into utter geekdom again! Mind you i'm a web developer so i've always been a complete geek at heart, I think I was just in denial for all of my 20's :D

Wow! you really mean business Hexagon Sun! I was scared there for a minute with all these boxes - then I remembered it was only one tac squad you vow for and I exhaled...

Mind you i'm a web developer so i've always been a complete geek at heart, I think I was just in denial for all of my 20's :D

I think it's called the beer & girls phase :)

If this is the (great) work you can do after a 12 year break, then I'm *really* looking forward to seeing what you can do when you blow the rust off!

One of the things I always found frustrating every time I returned to the hobby was the loss of painting skill and spending at least a year getting back into it :tu: Welcome back to the hobby, it's as addicitve as ever and (at least for me) just gets better with age.

Cheers, I know what you mean about taking a while getting back into it. I'm gradually getting used to thinning my paints to the right consistency, which seems to just vary a lot depending on the colour. The one thing i'm dreading is transfers... i was rubbish at applying them years ago so hopefully now i'm a bit more patient i'll be ok.

Here's a bit of an update, shading all done and started on some detailing. Still need to do the eyes and all the highlighting, also i've noticed a few bits i've missed as well from looking at the photo, gah!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_basecoat_2.jpg

Is it just me, or does anyone else see that green as metallic? Great DA Hexagon Sun. Just remember to scrape the paint away from the glue areas when you put them together :).

Cheers

I

Cheers Isiah, if you actually mean the shinier looking bits (e.g. shoulder pad 2nd from right) then I think they might be where i've touched up with DA green over the AP Angels Green primer... pretty annoying but i'm hoping I can do something to blend that a little better. I think the lighting is making it worse than it is in person but it'll still bug me! I blame the lighting :D

I've got 5 marines almost finished, I just need to touch up a few details on these, do final highlights on the green and tidy some bits up now. I think I might leave them though and move on to the next 5 this week. Then i'll come back and do all of that together at the end. Just received some microsol/microset last week so i'll have to practice using that on another model first... but all in all i'd say i'm around 50% complete!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_almost_complete.jpg

Archived