Assembling the Rout

StormDragon

So I have finally got the urge to build and paint my Space Wolf army.

I decided I didn't really want to do Ragnar Blackmane's Great Company, nothing against Blackmane and his company but I want to do something different. After reading through the codex I decided Krom Dragongaze sounded good. I like the idea of lots of Wolf Guard so all my packs are going to have a Wolf Guard pack leader. Since I'm going for a mechanised force this does mean that I'm going to be passing on the free special weapon since the packs can only be nine strong with the wolf guard making ten so they fit into a rhino.

Here are the two test models I painted up.

gallery_13078_4513_5693.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_82015.jpg

The grey is Codex grey and unfortunately I haven't got much left, so I bought some Dawnstone today and I'll get another test model painted up to see how different it turns out.

There are things I don't like about both models, the wolf tails don't really do it for me and the plasma gun isn't that great. I do like the overall colour scheme though.

Thanks for reading and C & C welcome

I think you are off to a wonderful start. I did the same thing yesterday (purchased some Dawnstone) and will be working up hopefully my last test model. I think you did a great job on the weathering and the shoulder pads.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

Thanks guys.

@Marshal Sampson of Terra - I can't take any credit for the grey, the recipie came from IamCaboose's WIP PLOG. I think you're right about the plasma coils needing some more white. I've got to redo the end of it as well. I was going for the heated metal look, but my copy of Imperial Armour Modeling Master Class 1 was packed in a box ready for my house move so I was doing it from memory. I think I need to go and re-read it now its unpacked and try again :D

@MagicMan - The battle damage is Charadon Granite (I've got plenty of that left :) ) applied with a bit of sponge torn from the sponge from a blister pack.

I've two packs of Grey Hunters built and waiting to be primed if it will ever stop rianing long enough for me to get them primed :( I might stick up some pictures of them in bare naked plactic :)

Work is progressing on my third test mini, the one being painted with Dawnstone, Administratum Grey and Nuln Oil and I'm hoping to have him up to the same state as his pack members above by the end of the weekend. No pictures though, I forgot about him while I had the camera out to take the pictures below :(

I thought I'd take some pictures of what I'm going to be painting next. Unfortunately the battery on the camera needed charging so they are not very good pictures, but I guess they will do until they get some paint on them.

First up my Wolf Guard pack, sorry about the lighting. Their arms are all magnetised. Their weapon loadouts may not be the most effective but I think they look good which is what really counts. :P

gallery_13078_4513_194822.jpg

Next up we have a Grey Hunter pack with their Wolf Guard pack leader. This is my flamer pack, flamer on the special weapon marine and combi-flamer on the pack leader.

gallery_13078_4513_154982.jpg

And last up is a bit of an experiment. I had some green stuff left over so I thought I'd try my hand at a wolfy necklace. I think it turned out quite well for a first attempt. :)

gallery_13078_4513_198721.jpg

That's all for now. C & C always welcome.

Ok so I've finished my third overall test mini and my first using the new paints, well except for one really obvious omission. I've no idea where his bolter has gone, I'm assuming I must have primed a bolter when I primed him... Oh well I 'll just need to make sure I've got one extra when I do the rest of the pack.

gallery_13078_4513_119321.jpg

I think the wolf tail on his helmet is better than the tails on the other two, it gets darker towards the tip which I like.

And here is a comparison between one done with the old paints and one with the new paints.

gallery_13078_4513_209334.jpg

Overall I'd say Dawnstone and Administratum Grey are a pretty good match for Codex and Fortress Grey. One thing that is quite clear is that Nuln Oil is darker than Badab Black. I'd also say I found Nuln Oil harder to get to flow into the recesses and along the edge of raised areas.

Anyway I've proved to myself that my scheme can be replicated using the new paints so the next step is to finish priming the Grey Hunters and Wolf Guard I've got assembled and then base coat them with the airbrush.

I've also just noticed that I haven't got any text on the purity seal...

They look great brother! So you like the new paints alright? Been wondering as I need to get some replacements and have been looking for feed back (particularly the Adeptus Battlegrey equivalent and the Codex Grey equivalent). Dawnstone is the Codex equivalent correct?

Either way, it looks like you've pulled off the scheme well! Looking forward to more from you! :)

@Kassill - Yep Dawnstone is the new Codex Grey. Colourwise it's a pretty good match, I can't say I can tell the difference between the one painted in Dawstone compared to the ones painted Codex Grey. I've only had limited experience with the new paints, the two greys and Runefang Steel, but so far I'd say the new paints are more plasticy. Or maybe a better way of putting it would be the surface tension seems to be stronger. It makes judging the amount of water to add to thin the paints tricky, I guess it's just a case of getting used to them.

@Kassill - Yep Dawnstone is the new Codex Grey. Colourwise it's a pretty good match, I can't say I can tell the difference between the one painted in Dawstone compared to the ones painted Codex Grey. I've only had limited experience with the new paints, the two greys and Runefang Steel, but so far I'd say the new paints are more plasticy. Or maybe a better way of putting it would be the surface tension seems to be stronger. It makes judging the amount of water to add to thin the paints tricky, I guess it's just a case of getting used to them.

Oh ok. I'll probably be picking some up this weekend so I will find a spare mini to sacrifice and see what I can do. :)

Thanks for the feedback! Also, more pictures, now! :)

Ok, so not a lot of progress made since my last post, although I have signed up for the 'dress wearers' challenge and have vowed to get my Wolf Guard pack completed by the 15th of August. I reckon that should be do-able even at my glacial painting speed ;)

So here is the before picture

gallery_13078_4513_11596.jpg

and now onto the painting....

I've made a start on my first Wolf Guard. The grey is pretty much done and I've made a start on the gold.

I wasn't sure about whether to do the studs on his legs gold or gun metal, so I thought while I was working on the gold I'd paint them and see what they looked like. I like them so they are going to be staying gold. :P

I've also decided to try something different for the Crux. On my Storm Dragons terminators the Crux is all the same colour so this time I thought I'd try doing the cross part gold and the skull in a bone colour. So far I like it, but I guess I'll have to wait until I've got the bone done before making a final decision.

And now onto the pictures...

gallery_13078_4513_97374.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_1957.jpg

As always c&c welcome

@Kassill The armour chipping is just Charadon Granite applied with a bit of sponge. The key is getting the right amount of paint on the sponge, too much and you just end up with a big blob of colour. :lol:

I've got a bit further on this guy, in fact I've got far enough that I'm going to start on the next member of the pack. He just needs the battle damage and wolf claws painting and the decal applying to his right pad.

The reason I've left the wolf claws is because I've got an idea on how I want to paint them, but I need to test it first to make sure it looks good. I'm planning on painting them boltgun metal and then use one of the new glazes to give them a colour as if the power field is playing over them. I'm going to paint up a couple of test weapons to try it on, I just need to prime them.

And now some pictures of Sigurd the Red...

gallery_13078_4513_191142.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_2515.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_12172.jpg

I like the gold and bone Crux and I'm particularly pleased with the pelt on his right shoulder pad.

C&C welcome...

All looking excellent ;) Especially liking that latest terminator :) the expression and fur pelt are excellent :)

Just a quick question, why is it a rout? (Chaotic and disorderly retreat ;p ) What are your wolves running from? :cuss

All looking excellent :) Especially liking that latest terminator :) the expression and fur pelt are excellent :)

Just a quick question, why is it a rout? (Chaotic and disorderly retreat ;p ) What are your wolves running from? :P

The Rout refers to the men of the VI Legion Astartes, also known as the Vlka Fenryka, or by non fenrisians the "Space Wolves".

The first time I heard it mentioned in relation to the Wolves was in Prospero Burns, so blame Mr Abnett :)

Although I did find these definitions which would apply in this case...

4. A company, as of knights or wolves, that are in movement. See Synonyms at flock1.

5. Archaic a large party or social gathering

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update to prove that I have been doing something since my last update. Progress has been good so far and really quick for me...

I still haven't done the claws on my first Wolf Guard. My idea of using a glaze to colour boltgun metal didn't really have the effect I was hoping for so back to the drawing board. Anyway my next Wolf Guard is going to be the one with the frost axe and I've got ideas on how I'm going to do that and then the claws and power weapons may just end using the same technique as the frost axe but a different colour.

So onto some pictures now...

Here's Gunnar Trollbane

gallery_13078_4513_154869.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_169284.jpg

He's done apart from his right shoulder pad. I'm going to apply the decals to them all at the same time and then weather the pads. And he needs a base, but I'm not sure how I want to do the bases yet. I want snowy bases (original I know:) ) but I don't really want just plain snow.

I managed to get the airbrush out today and got the remaining three base coated, so hopefully I'll be able to get through them fairly quickly :)

gallery_13078_4513_56196.jpg

As always C&C welcome.

Nice Space Doggies! Esp i like the usage of blue, even if its kinda untypical!

Im almost tempted with SWs...but w8 i have to paint some 1000 sons before! :P

Thanks, the blue shoulder pad was originally going to be Shadow Grey but it really didn't do it for me so I tried using blue. I like the way the Great Company marking looks on the blue pad. :P

And don't feel bad about painting T'Sons, it gives us Wolves somebody to smack down :P

I have been doing some painting since my last post and I have pictures to prove it, this time we have Runolf Bloodfang and Leif Bloodaxe...

gallery_13078_4513_24229.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_95011.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_11444.jpg

I'm pleased with the way the frost axe and power sword turned out and I'm going to be doing Sigurd's claws the same way as the power sword. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, but they should be good enough for the time being. I'll get some better pictures when all five are finished. ;)

As always c&c welcome.

@Kassill - Thanks good know somebody appreciates my efforts :lol:

More progress to report. Ulf Thunderfist is now done apart from the weathering on his left knee pad and the Great Company symbol and weathering on his right shoulder pad.

gallery_13078_4513_58814.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_118781.jpg

gallery_13078_4513_88472.jpg

I've applied the decals for the Great Compant to all five Wolf Guard and I'm just waiting for the Micro Sol to dry. Then I need to go over the yellow parts of the Great Company symbol and weather the pads and they'll be done. I'm working on their bases, just working out the best way to acheive the effect I'm after. I want snowy bases with a few rocks and a bit of earth showing as well. I've found a couple of tutorials which I'm trying out at the moment.

C&C welcome.

Archived