+++E Tenebrae Lux+++

E TENEBRAE LUX

icon7.gif THE DARK ANGELS PAINTING CHALLENGE icon7.gif

THE CHALLENGE

Purest of soul now is the time to measure strength against the full might the First Legion. Are you truly the best the Imperium has to offer? Can you prevail when the Angels of Darkness are upon you?

+++TO THE RIGHTEOUS WE BRING HOPE. TO THE TAINTED WE BRING FIRE+++

Welcome to E TENEBRAE LUX, the Dark Angels Painting Challenge. This Challenge aims to cultivate faction loyalty and tighten the relations of members of the various forums while getting miniatures painted at the same time. E TENEBRAE LUX is structured quite differently compared to the LPC that many of you might be familiar with. It is designed to play down the inherent disadvantage of low vow-count (that some forums seem to suffer from), evening out as much as possible the chance of victory for all. It also allows for the development of strategies such as to who’s going to paint what, under the coordination of moderators or other active members of your sub-forum. Even a last minute hero might tip the balance!!!

THE RULES

1. ELIGIBLE FORUMS: This challenge involves all the sub-forums that are associated with a Codex officially released by GW. See eligible forums in the “Important Stuff” section below.

2. VOWS: Each participant MUST declare the sub-forum (and hence the Codex to be used) in his/her vow. That’s how his/her allegiance will be defined. You cannot pledge for the Blood Angels sub-forum for example and use Codex: Space Wolves units as your vow. One has to make a choice. This is different from the LPC where people can paint whatever they like and pledge it for whichever forum they like. Here it’s about faction loyalty! So make your choice and support your preferred faction to the bitter end!

3. LEGAL ENTRIES: Each vow should be a legal unit from the chosen Codex. It can be upgraded with any legal upgrades but WYSIWYG is required. An exception is made for dedicated transports that can be entered individually as if they were standalone entries in any Codex. Furthermore Special Characters that are used as squad upgrades can also be entered individually and are worth the “upgrade” points. If in doubt of whether your vow is legal or not, feel free to raise the question (publicly or through PMs) and you will receive the ruling of the Inner Circle before you commit.

4. THE TWIST: EXPANDING THE VOWS: Here is the twist: once the vow is complete, a new vow with additional units can be added but they should also be legal entries from chosen Codex as described above. This new vow must be clearly made according to the same format of the original vow. It should be stressed that the participant is liable for all the vows he makes. Failing one is failing all. So think carefully before stepping-up your commitment, if you fail on the second or subsequent vows all is lost!

5. THE WINNER: The sub-forum with the most points (as per relevant Codex) in the end of the event wins. As simple as that. Those that complete their vows successfully will get an amazing banner declaring their success in the Dark Angels Challenge while those that vowed for the winning forum will get the “Dark Angels Challenge Champions” banner that can wear with pride until the end of their days! Those that fail will be branded with the banner of shame until the year-end!

IMPORTANT STUFF

Timing of the event:

E TENEBRAE LUX opening: May 15th
Vow submission period: May 15th until June 15th at 22:00 GMT
E TENEBRAE LUX ending: August 15 at 22:00 GMT.

The format of the vow should be:

“I [insert name here] answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete [insert unit name here] from Codex: [insert Codex name here] of total value [insert point value here] on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to [insert Chapter/Legion/Warband] and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

Eligible Forums:

• Black Templars – Codex: Black Templars
• Blood Angels – Codex: Blood Angels
• Dark Angels – Codex: Dark Angels
• Index Astartes – Codex: Space Marines
• Liber Astartes – Codex: Space Marines
• Space Wolves – Codex: Space Wolves
• Ultramarines – Codex: Space Marines
• ALL Chaos sub-forums – Codex: Chaos Space Marines OR Codex: Chaos Daemons
• Ordos Inquisition – Codex: Grey Knights OR SoBs PDF.
• Adeptus Mechanichus – IMPERIAL TITANS ONLY! (more on that in the Forgeworld section below)

Forgeworld: Forgeworld entries are legal provided it is clearly stated that the unit can be used in the chosen Codex in the 40k context. They worth the points as depicted in the relevant Forgeworld publication. The only exception here is Imperial Titans. For people that want to have a go with Imperial Titans they can legitimately do so if the vow is pledged for Adeptus Mechanicus. That’s the only non-Codex entries that are legal in this Challenge and the only vows that can be pledged on behalf of the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Only two pictures are required – one in the beginning (minis unpainted or primed or in very early stages of painting) and one for the finished vow. You are of course welcome to post as many pictures as you like in your WIP thread – but just two (one at the start and one at the finish) will suffice!

This thread is the “Chapter House” for this event. All vows of this sub-forum should be posted in this very thread in order to be valid. This is also the place to declare vow completions and/or vow renewals. Finally posting your WIP thread links in your vow post will be tremendously helpful! This is a big event guys, so making life easier for me, will help avoid confusion and backs ‘n forths…

You can also use this thread to gauge the progress of your forum (I’ll update often) and compare it with other forums in their respective threads. It will also be a good place to talk to each other as how to go about it, and organize your forum effort.

I am Captain Semper and the Inner Circle has given me command of this event. I’ll be glad to answer any questions as we go along and I will keep track of all forums’ efforts. So I’m the person you need to talk to for anything regarding the procedures of this competition but Moderators still have full control of the Meltas, Flamers and Blades of Reason. And they will gladly use all of them given half a chance...

May the best forum win!

Dark Angels Painting Challenge/Ordos Inquisition sub-forum First Vows
adamv6 Converted Grand Master Mordrak, 5 converted Warrior Acolytes, 10 Strike Squad Greyknights and Land Raider Redeemer 655 COMPLETE
Ceasarian 2 squads of 6x Purifiers and two razorback transports 380 Incomplete
Hanska an immolator with a multi-melta and a dozer blade 85 COMPLETE
Inquisitor NicolePyykkonen one Grey Knights Librarian 275 COMPLETE
Jacinda a Retributor Squad with 4 Heavy Bolters lead by Retributor Superior armed with a Storm Bolter 88 COMPLETE
Joghurtberserker 1 Nemesis Dread Knight, heavy Incinerator, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, personal teleporter, 1 Venerable Dreadnought, Assault Cannon 430 COMPLETE
Mr. Shine 1 Librarian 185 Incomplete
Mr.Malevolent One Sisters of Battle Squad with one Storm Bolter and one Heavy Flamer lead by a Sister Superior armed with a power weapon and a combi-flamer 168 Incomplete
Myxx one Techmarine and one Rhino 150 COMPLETE
RedemptionNL one combat squad of Purifiers with 3 halberds, 1 daemon-hammer and 2 psycannons 175 COMPLETE
spu00sed Dreadnight: Great sword, Gatling Psilencer, Personal teleporter 265 Incomplete
Stormshadow two callidus assassins, two Eversor assassins and one Vindicare assassin 695 COMPLETE
Toasterfree Castellan Crowe and three units of Purifiers 605 COMPLETE

Dark Angels Painting Challenge/Ordos Inquisition sub-forum Second Vows
adamv6 Stormraven with Hurricane Bolter Sponsons and Teleport Beacon 250 COMPLETE
Inquisitor NicolePyykkonen one Callidus Assassin and one Eversor Assassin 275 COMPLETE
Jacinda 5 Celestians armed with a meltagun, a multi-melta and a combi-melta along with a Multi-Melta Immolator 205 COMPLETE
Joghurtberserker a Stormraven with Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Teleport Beacon and Typhoon Rockets 280 COMPLETE
Myxx Lord Kaldor Draigo 275 COMPLETE
RedemptionNL Grey Knight Phobos Pattern Land Raider with Multi-Melta 265 COMPLETE
Stormshadow Grand Master Mordrak 200 COMPLETE
Toasterfree Tech Marine and another unit of 5 Purifiers 235 Incomplete

Dark Angels Painting Challenge/Ordos Inquisition sub-forum Third Vows
adamv6 a Rhino with Warp Stabilisation and Hunter Killer Missile 55 COMPLETE
Myxx Three servitors with HBs 30 COMPLETE
Stormshadow two Dread Knights with Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon, Greatsword and Teleporter 600 COMPLETE

Dark Angels Painting Challenge/Ordos Inquisition sub-forum Fourth Vows
adamv6 one Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with Tactical Dreadnought Armour, a Daemon Hammer and Psycannon 80 COMPLETE
Myxx one Ordo Malleus Inquisitor with power armor, Demonblade and hellrifle 63 COMPLETE

I Toasterfree answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete Castella Crowe and three units of Purifiers from Codex: Grey Knights of total value 605 on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to Grey Knights and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end

I Myxx answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete one Techmarine and one Rhino with extra storm bolter and hunter-killer missile from Codex:Grey Knights for a total point value of 150 pts. on or before August 15th. Success will bring eternal glory to the Ordos Inquisition, and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation til years end...

edit: Removed OSR inline with mod ruling...

Well done captain Semper!

I have a question concerning Vows, or rather two.

“You cannot pledge for the Blood Angels sub-forum for example and use Codex: Space Wolves units as your vow”

1) Can I convert models from other Codex and use them as units from my own Codex? Example: Take Logan from Space Wolves, give him a hammer and convert his skulls from wolf skulls to ordinary skulls, call him Mordrak and paint him for Grey Knights?

2) Can I use the “Count as” rule to take units from other codex and paint them for my own codex? Example: Take Captain Telion from Ultramarines and Paint him as an Inquisitor with a Hell rifle from my own codex?

Well done captain Semper!

Thx mate - let me tell you some things look easier on paper... B)

I have a question concerning Vows, or rather two.

“You cannot pledge for the Blood Angels sub-forum for example and use Codex: Space Wolves units as your vow”

1) Can I convert models from other Codex and use them as units from my own Codex? Example: Take Logan from Space Wolves, give him a hammer and convert his skulls from wolf skulls to ordinary skulls, call him Mordrak and paint him for Grey Knights?

2) Can I use the “Count as” rule to take units from other codex and paint them for my own codex? Example: Take Captain Telion from Ultramarines and Paint him as an Inquisitor with a Hell rifle from my own codex?

Ok here goes:

1) Yes - As long the unit is a legitimate entry from the Codex GKs your vow counts for the Ordos Inquisition forum. Don't care what models you use (actually we'd like to see as many conversions as possible) but some WYSIWYG is expected. So by all means use Logan as your Mordrak - but make sure he looks the part! ;)

2) Yes. As long as the model represents an entry from Codex GKs and you made some effort to look the part you're fine. For example Telion also carries a particular weapon. You have to cater for that if you are to keep it on the mini (i.e. find a similar option to equip your Inquisitor and assign the proper points to it).

Hope this helps.

Thx mate - let me tell you some things look easier on paper... ;)

Well this thing even looks extreme on paper so it must be a real :cuss to stay on top of.

Thank you for the info, I will have to get home and make a “(minis / time)/free time” calculation before I post my Vow though :P.

I, Jacinda Jennings, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete a Retributor Squad with 4 Heavy Bolters lead by Retributor Superior armed with a Storm Bolter from Codex: Sisters of Battle of total value 88 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the Order of Our Martyred Lady and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.

Work in progress

After checking what unpainted models I have at the moment.. I shall begin with this:

“I, Inquisitor NicolePyykkonen, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete one Grey Knights Librarian from Codex: Grey Knights of total value 275 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to The Holy Orders of the Emperor's Inquisition and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq70/Myen_Shi/librarian.jpg

(scary how spendy that single Librarian model I have converted up but unpainted can be)

OK guys, the first post is updated with a table (at the bottom of the post) your vows. Check it out and let me know if there is anything amiss. Similar tables exist in all sub forums that participate in the ETL Challenge - so feel free to visit the ETL thread in other subforums to check out the progress overall!

I will not stand idle as my brothers and sisters go to holy war.

So...

I Hanska answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete an immolator with a multi-melta and a dozer blade from Codex: Sisters of Battle of total value of 85 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the ministorum and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.

W.I.P

E TENEBRAE LUX – 1st WEEK UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/DA_Challenge_vs_INQ.jpg

This is the first weekly update of the ETL Challenge. In this update (and the ones that will follow) I’ll try to compile the overall picture of the ETL and how it’s developing so all can have a quick understanding of the overall situation. So with no further ado and as at 16:00 GMT here’s the situation:

E TENEBRAE LUX – WEEK 1
Black Templars 18 6,451 358
Blood Angels 17 5,878 347
Dark Angels 27 12,020 445
Index Astartes 8 2,075 259
Liber Astartes 3 1,325 442
Space Wolves 12 7,225 602
Ultramarines 5 1,994 399
Chaos 16 4,281 268
Ordos Inquisition 5 1,203 241
Total 111 42,472 383
- - - -
Codex Space Marines 16 5,394 337

Some early comments:

The Dark Angels have the highest number of vows and the highest point-count with significant difference from the second (currently the Wolves). This raises the stakes for the competition. Obviously it’s completed points that will win the day but number of participants also carries significant weight to achieve that. So people need to flock to their favorite forums/Chapters and pledge vows – it’s still early on, everything can change!

The Wolves have highest points/vow ratio and currently they are second in total points pledged. That means that those committed have done so with big vows (in true Wolfish manner), which also entails big risks. It also means that if they maintain their average at 600 they’ll require another 8 participants to reach the pledged points of the DAs (assuming no more DAs submit vows – yeah right!)

Black Templars mean serious business. With fairly high points/vow ratio and some serious commitment they have managed a very respectable 3rd place for far. Look forward to see what else they have stored for us – one has to remember their strong performance in the LPC to realize they are a force to be reckoned with! Well done guys (so far :tu:).

Blood Angels are also strong in the game with the third largest amount of vows. However their points/vow ratio is lower than the Templars and it shows on the total point count. But here we have the Champions of two consecutive LPC’s and a Chapter known for its artistic inclination – so I think there are some Aces in their sleeves yet. What they basically lack is a couple of hefty vows (close or above the 1,000pts mark) to tip the balance.

Chaos is also putting up a fight with 16 participants but they also lack a couple of super vows (something close to 1,000 mark) to bring them at par with the other forums. As it happens is has lowest points/vow ratio among the big players.

Codex Space Marines forums are showing a significant lack of vows among them although from what I’ve seen there is no lack of talent. LA sports a fairly high points/vow ratio but with only 3 vows so far it can be misleading. On the other hand if all the C:SM forums were put together as one the picture would be much more competitive: 5,394pts and 16 vows between them – they are certainly not far from the other forums. Hmmmmmm… see where I’m going with this? ;)

Ordos Inquisiton has an aura of heroism about it. Only 5 vows but very brave to face the challenge of the other mega-forums! Kudos to you purest of soul! You make all of us proud!

Before I conclude this first update I need to make a special mention to the two participants that already completed their vows, namely ZAChos from Index Astartes and Yogi from the Chaos forum. Furthermore ZAChos renewed his vow making him the first participant to raise the stakes! Congrats to both of you guys [but ZAChos is still in the game – so be careful mate! ;)]

“I, Joghurtberserker, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete

1 Nemesis Dread Knight, heavy Incinerator, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, personal teleporter 245 points

1 Venerable Dreadnought, Assault Cannon 185 points

from Codex: Grey Knights of total value 430 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the

Grey Knights and the Holy Ordos Inquisition and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

E TENEBRAE LUX – 2nd WEEK UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/DA_Challenge_vs_INQ.jpg

E TENEBRAE LUX – WEEK 2
Black Templars 24 10,931 455
Blood Angels 26 12,279 472
Dark Angels 33 16,991 515
Index Astartes 16 6,655 416
Liber Astartes 7 5,043 720
Space Wolves 19 12,731 637
Ultramarines 6 2,709 452
Chaos 19 5,625 296
Ordos Inquisition 6 1,633 272
Total 156 74,597 478
- - - -
Codex Space Marines 29 14,407 497

Comments:

The Dark Angels retain the highest number of vows and the highest point-count however the difference with the rest of the forums has narrowed. Still they retain a fairly high points/vow ratio but it is evident that their leading position is challenged from all fronts. They increased their point-count by 30% in the week (5.0k pts).

The Wolves made an impressive effort last week keeping the second position in terms of pledged points increasing last week’s levels by 43% (5.5k pts). They also retain one of the highest points/vow that increased even more compared to last week. This is mainly because of the relatively high density of super-vows (>1,000pts). It appears that the Wolves have an affinity for entering high value vows and they are also very vocal about it! It seems to be a genetic thing... Maybe something that should be looked into?

Blood Angels are the heroes of this week. From a fairly weak position (4th or 5th if we count the Codex Astartes forums together) they climbed to third place overtaking the Black Templars and only a handful of points separating them from the Wolves (around 450pts where the average vow is 470 – so just a vow away from second place). Congratulations guys – the Angels of Blood showed resilience that I guess is a signature trait... Well done. Just to get the measure of effort the Blood Angels increased their pledged points by more than 52% on the week adding 6.4k points the biggest addition of any single forum!

Black Templars continue with their systematic approach to the challenge staying in touch with the top positions but slipping to 4th place with a good 1.3k points behind the Blood Angels. Given their average points/vow it means that, roughly, at this stage they are 3 vows behind... Certainly an easy to cover distance if they don’t slip further -or indeed if the Blood Angels don’t take-off. Still they managed to increase their point count by 41% on the week but adding only 4.4k points. Sorry guys – you need to step-up the effort!

Index Astartes and Liber Astartes are doing a fantastic job! They have increased their vows by 69% and 74%(!) over the week and also increased their points/vow ratio to 416 (from 259) and to 720 (from 442) respectively. However, individually they have a fairly low number of participants (pledged vows). If new blood comes in with vows close the current averages I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change in the top three positions – and a nasty surprise to the “traditional” powers! So guys don’t hold back! Go Liber! …and Index :D

Ultramarines are really lagging. They only added 1 vow in the past week and total points pledged are the second lowest. However the points/vow seems to be at par with the leading forums so again we have lack of numbers not commitment! Someone needs to explain this to me. How come Ultramarines lag in numbers? Seriously guys, pick up your brushes and stand by the XIII Legion!

However if one is to measure the relative weight of the C:SMs in the ranks of B&C one should look at the Codex Space Marines forums as one. In this case, after the second week, they are the 2nd (!) in points pledged; they increased their vows by 62% w-o-w adding a stunning 9k pts the largest addition among all forums and with more than 1.5k pts difference to the Wolves!!!

Chaos has two conflicting characteristics (well a million actually but I won’t go there right now :D) . in terms of vows its right there with the Wolves. In terms points/vow... VERY low!!! (less than 300). What Chaos lacks is a few super-vows (>1,000pts). Without them, their best chance is to wait for others to fail and keep renewing their own... Not a very sound strategy if the leading forum has currently pledged 3x the points they have. So more high-value entries should be the order of the day!

Ordos Inquisiton continue to try to purge the Galaxy on their own! A noble cause and something for all of us to aspire to! Good luck Brothers – continue upon your path of righteousness!

No Titans yet... :(

So now we enter week 3 of the competition. Good luck to all and remember: After June 15th NO NEW ENTRANTS will be allowed. The teams would be set! So take the vow now or stay on the bench to watch your Brothers fight it out!

Good luck to all!

OK guys - fixed everything... I apologize for the mix-up and the late response but I had a visitation from Nurgle (where's a Grey Knight when you need one) and was sick for the best part of the day...

Anyways let me know if there is anything amiss...

EDIT: Congratulations toaster - you got some serious talent going on there! can't wait for your second vow!

I Toasterfree answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete Tech Marine and another unit of 5 Purifiers from Codex: Grey Knights of total value 235 on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to Grey Knights Space Marines and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end

Congrats Brother Toasterfree! Good looking work.
EDIT: Congratulations toaster - you got some serious talent going on there! can't wait for your second vow!

Thanks guys

Not that our woefully outnumbered Inquisition forces have any chance of winning this thing, but I need to get my behind in gear to paint some of my ever growing to-paint pile anyway; so here's my first vow, hopefully the first of many:

I, Redemption, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete one combat squad of Purifiers with 3 halberds, 1 daemon-hammer and 2 psycannons from Codex: Grey Knights for a total point value of 175 pts. on or before August 15th. Success will bring eternal glory to the Ordos Inquisition, and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation til years end...

Archived