Squad Silent Storm, E Tenebrae Lux vow in progress

Creeger

Here's my new scout squad to be. They will be the 3rd scout squad of a homemade Index chapter I call Imerial skulls. This squad will be lead by Brother Sergant Jonathan (counts as Tilion), and will include 3 scouts with sniper rifles and one scout with a missle launcher. I'm building them to be a, rather obvious, backfield objective camping squad. I'll probably include some extra scouts to give me the option to run a ten man squad at a later date, but I'm just starting with a five man squad for now.

Two of the snipers are metal, as is the Tilion model and the missile launcher. The sniper with his rifle in the air is plastic. As you can see, I've got what little assembaly was required done, have them primed black, and stuck down to my painting sticks. With any luck, I'll get some time to start their paint job tommorow.

gallery_65424_7286_391167.jpg

edit: spelling

More bases colors went on tonight. I've still got a long way to go on this step though. You'd think after painting 40k models for almost a decade I'd gain some speed, but I'm a very slow painter...still :D

gallery_65424_7286_55127.jpg

I'm back in town after traveling for most of the weekend, and back to work on my scouts. Tonight I finished their leather boots and straps' base color and then highlighted those items. I put an extra shade of highlight on the boots to bring their color up a shade lighter than the ammo pouches and straps. Then I got highlights added to the armor plates and got my first layer of base color on the skin.

gallery_65424_7286_29715.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_171827.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_37032.jpg

Yeah, I just got in the habit of starting so dark because when I'm doing a character quality paint job I'll use, roughly, seven layers to get a really smooth looking transition between my shades and highlights and dark is where I start for that. Also, some of my marines are recruited from black populations and starting so dark lets me easily take the option to paint them with black skin.

Firstly, nice to see you've taken up the Challenge for the Liber. :D

Secondly, seven layers? I hate painting skin (can never get the hang of it :( ), so have neither the skill or the patience for that. They look awesome! :no:

Bah! I'm down to the fiddly bits now, shotgun shells and grenades and what not. This stage is my least favorite because I end up changing paint colors 5,000,000 times per session while highlighting objects the size of a flea. Good thing this part comes around the same time that I start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. A few more days and I'll have these guys ready to camp some objectives :D

gallery_65424_7286_363919.jpg

Vow completed! Here's my new, completed scout squad. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out except for two things. First is the plastic scout with the rifle up in the air. He's the first and only plastic scout I've got. All of my others are metal and I've decided that I like the metal sculpts much better. They seem to me like they are much better quality and detail.

Second is my goof on the sergeant's name. He's sergeant Jonathan, and I stuck "Matthew" on his base. Didn't notice the mistake until after the varnish. I'll probably go back and fix the name later.

I enjoyed the project and the Vow competition. Thanks for putting it on Captain Semper!

gallery_65424_7286_421181.jpg

gallery_65424_7286_154670.jpg

Great work Creeger! :tu:

I really like the hue of green you've gone for armour-wise and the skin you've painted is really well done! Are you planning on painting up any more of this Chapter?

Ludovic

Thank you, Ludovic. Oh yes. I, like many others, aspire to complete an entire battle company. I have pretty close to half of that done so far, though a few of my squads could use a bit of a paint job update. I've gotten better over the years and it shows on some of my oldest models.

I don't know if I want to do the whole chapter history write up like so many do in the Liber forum, but I do want to, at least, build my chapter a pictorial post one of these days.

Thanks for following my project!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived