Adeptus Custodes never leave Terra...but these ones did.

thade

So it's been ages since I posted anything directly on this, but anybody with a sharp memory may have suspected this was still in the works, given the style of questions I've been posting of late. The original draft (brainstorming) of their fluff can be found here; it should serve to jog memories but things story-wise are looking a bit different now. More on that later. I had forbidden myself from posting on this at all until I had something tangible to show, and that time has come.

Here's my first WIP (nearly complete) Custodian (counts-as Paladin with Halberd and Stormbolter...considering 'master-crafting' the halberd).

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3458/custodian0414.jpg

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2898/custodian0415.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8426/custodian0416.jpg

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/862/custodian0417.jpg

He needs something, which is - at the very least - brighter red tones through the robes and the plume on his helm. I wanted to make his eyelettes green but he doesn't have eyelettes. His eyes are actually modeled to look like real eyeballs...something I gave amiss until this stage. I might have jammed them with a tiny bit of GS, but they look okay to me black (though it does reduce the number of colors, sadly). I'm never fully pleased with the way my power weapons turn out, but this one looks okay. The tubing/cabling on each of his arms needs something, but I've no idea what. Just black looks really really boring and wrong. Thoughts?

The gems on his forehead don't show up quite so well in these shots as they're neither centered nor are they glossed yet...but they don't get glossed until after the matte coat. (Don't worry I will further highlight/dry brush a bit of gold and mithril back on there to retain some of the extreme shine.)

You might notice the red-rectangle and pin-hole on the back of the terminator base he's sitting on; there I stick in a ball-headed needle to represent when he has two or one wounds (it's still pending a paint job itself, but the hole is read and the needle fits it). All of my paladins have this modification so far...though none of them are fully painted...this guy jumped to the front of the queue after I read Blood Games.

A few tiny 'spoilers' are in the last two pics; in the background there are two in-progress models. On the right is (you probably recognize) a Draigo in-progress (and another Custodian far-right), while at the left is a counts-as Brother-Captain Custodian who has a dual-bladed halberd. No pictures on him yet (sorry, I didn't realize he was so visible when taking photos on my phone last night) but he's probably next. He's probably not going to have a 'title' (beyond Custodian)...just a particularly bad-ass Custodian.

For the curious, both the body and the shoulder plates are Scribor, while the arms and armaments are GKT kit...the boltguns are from SM Tactical, of course. The shoulder plates were quite thick on the inside, allowing for impressive depth on their features, but also meaning they were better fitted to smaller marine arms which outright did not work proportion-wise...it was visibly terrible. I had to scrape them out with a dremel and X-acto knife, which left a few parts extremely thin (so thin I could see the color of my skin through what remained of the plastic) thus I also cut up the tops of the GK arms a bit and reinforced it with GS. Arms are all pinned, of course.

May I say I'm super pumped to finally be seeing this moving along; things like 'promotion' and 'engagement' more or less crippled my 40k gaming and painting for months and months, but things are settled and now my table is packed full of fun stuff to work on. B)

EDIT: Forgot to add the link to OP.

The overall look of the figure is great but I'm not a fan of the bolter. It looks like someone has just glued a bolter to the side of a halberd, which of course they have! Sadly, I have no suggestions to make on how to improve it. B)

The overall look of the figure is great but I'm not a fan of the bolter. It looks like someone has just glued a bolter to the side of a halberd, which of course they have! Sadly, I have no suggestions to make on how to improve it. B)

You know, I totally echo this sentiment, but that is what their weapon looks like. At first I thought I'd get creative with it, but then the 6th Ed rulebook gave us a boltgun which looks more or less exactly like that thing. It's growing on me, haha.

Thank you, number6. B)

Looking good thade my man, If you are unhappy with the bolters may I suggest cutting down the grip for the bolter. Removing the ammo clip and putting on a ammo drum type thing instead, might look smoother and less "stick outy".

Looking good thade my man, If you are unhappy with the bolters may I suggest cutting down the grip for the bolter. Removing the ammo clip and putting on a ammo drum type thing instead, might look smoother and less "stick outy".

I first read that suggestion and thought "but, I did cut the grip off"...then I realized you were referring to the stock, which is actually a very good idea. I'll try it on a prototype tonight before I take it to the model.

As for the ammo, I already have another custodian who's reloading his boltgun (he's got a clip in his hand and the lack of a clip on the boltgun as a cue for the viewer) so I think I might stick with it, haha. We'll see...might look weird with the clip upright after I trim the stock and I may find I like it better side-mounted or something.

If only I had any ammo drums to try otherwise. ;) My budget's pretty tight though, since I went Scribor on these guys, haha.

Very nice! I agree that cutting off the stock part behind the ammo feed would probably trim it up pretty nicely. I can recommend using the ammo drums from Ork Shootas. They mesh relatively well with a bolter sized weapon, I did that on one of my Inquisitors when making his Hellrifle (combination of pewter bolter, kroot rifle, ork shoota, marine scope, and some repositioning due to the metal model). The drum feed looks pretty nice when you're done.

Looking forward to seeing how the force ends up looking! :(

I can recommend using the ammo drums from Ork Shootas.

You know, I may actually have some of those kicking around! That's an interesting idea. (If not, Ork bits aren't among the most difficult to trade for, tho we are a bit lacking in Ork players for some reason.) I'll try that on the prototype this evening as well. :(

Archived