Twin .44's permanent WIP

Twin .44

++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++

++ ASTROPATHIC LINK: PSY-MAGOS KLAHN ++

++ LOCATION: TERRA, DETROIT SECTOR ++

Not an expert of GS myself, I have to say you need to be a bit easier on the knife.

Some of the "folds" look like scarring or indentations...a little to deep for fabric. Maybe the red colour and detailing just makes them look deeper? For BT, I think white tabards/robes would have fit better. Red would have worked for your CF's. Also, the heads look a bit 'too' white, but that is probably the lighting. Kudos for the custom photo-backdrop & lamp. And I definitely have to steal the shale/base idea for one of the armies I haven't built yet. :D

Yeah, I know. Who am I to criticize while I've left my own projects sitting unattended?

I appreciate the kick in my own complacency. I really do.

Keep the reports coming...

Ciao,

CDR Grendelwulf

The knife impressions atually aren't that deep. In fact i think they are just about the same as the Templar upgrades. But the reason why I chose red Tabbards is for two reasons. 1) I hate painting white/parchment colors with depth! could never proberly pull them off. 2) I wanted to give my Templars a different look than what I always see. I like having things stand out differently than everything else.

And yeah, it's unfortunately the lighting on the heads. A friend of mine took some photos and they came out much better so I'm going to get those off of him.

And don't worry, next up are Blood Angels Space Hulk Terminators!

I only recently joined this site. Ive been looking at what you've done and its fantastic. Im an avid follower of the KISS method of anything so I will be keeping my painting schemes mostly simple till I get some more experience and try to implement camo schemes. I have some ideas to implement for my own army. Again great work on the models!

Thats defeinitely the best way when you're starting out. My first paint job was on a grey knight Terminator. BAD IDEA!!!!!!! Thanks for reading in and let me know when you post your stuff up!

is there a tutorial around here that can show me how to get the poses with the foot on a stone/other object? I'd love to do that on some of my sarges and characters...

Thanks in advance!

No tutorial unfortunately, but i plan on making a Lascannon guy with the same pose only his leg up on an Imperial Guardsman. It's quite simple, no Green Stuffing involved. just match up with the normal standing legs, cut it's left leg off, and glue it to the other leg found in the Devestator/command squad box. measure up random stones etc etc and you're good to go!

is there a tutorial around here that can show me how to get the poses with the foot on a stone/other object? I'd love to do that on some of my sarges and characters...

Thanks in advance!

There is now.

I really like that Neophyte, Twin .44. One of the first Scout+Marine helmet combinations where it's not looking too large and out of place.

Any progress on him?

I really like that Neophyte, Twin .44. One of the first Scout+Marine helmet combinations where it's not looking too large and out of place.

Any progress on him?

Yeah I have him mostly painted up now. mostly just minor stuff to do. Since I went on a recent painting bender I'm not too enthused about doing more. I'll get a picture up tonight most likely. I think the scout helmets most people do they don't shave the neck down to a stump like I did. only a little piece should be left for alignment purposes and thats all. that and cut down beakies only. They are a royal pain though. Next one I do will have a cut down space wolf beakie head with the studs above the eyes left. Gotta do salt dipping on all the legs first though. Thanks for the complements, and I'll post up that Neophyte this evening!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, nice marines there!

Your CFs have a certain feeling that I've always missed from other CF models. I don't know, it's not the details, but the overall look of them.

I really dig it! I would add some more "old and used" effect metallics maybe if I were you.

Oh and the small changes made to the figures are really nice too, I like when it's just about the added value, not the over the top modding.

Keep up bro!

• 4 months later...

Well, it has been forever since I've done anything. Between debt issues, woman problems and starting school, 40K just wasn't fun for a bit. But now that's all gone! Here's my custom Dante and I hope you like it!

gallery_42800_4856_12049.jpg

gallery_42800_4856_37563.jpg

gallery_42800_4856_45761.jpg

gallery_42800_4856_18297.jpg

gallery_42800_4856_37991.jpg

gallery_42800_4856_15730.jpg

I'm going to work on the perdition pistol a bit before anything else and customizing a Death mask for him. Thanks for looking!

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone! I'm back! I decided to get back into 40K after about a year and a half vacation. Over the last two weeks, I've been going nuts on painting. I feel like a kid in a candy store. Well, enough with the jibber-jabbering, on with the show!

First shot of Space Marines:

gallery_42800_6895_912368.jpg

BT Neophyte closeup

gallery_42800_6895_1100400.jpg

EC Closeups

gallery_42800_6895_1642351.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1738990.jpg

Foregworld BT Dreadnought

gallery_42800_6895_725118.jpg

Blood Angels RAS

gallery_42800_6895_1601966.jpg

Storm Raven.

gallery_42800_6895_880401.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_161368.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1198496.jpg

Crimson Fist Terminator Assault Squad

gallery_42800_6895_2010331.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_570054.jpg

Grey Knights Paladins

gallery_42800_6895_470111.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_950199.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_797433.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1022106.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_537589.jpg

Grey Knights Dreadnought

gallery_42800_6895_441807.jpg

Customizing Mephiston

gallery_42800_6895_1181833.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_754617.jpg

And now, for my LPC Vow update, Black Templars Terminator squad

gallery_42800_6895_496886.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1518303.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_454671.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_796450.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_454411.jpg

C&C is always appreciated, especially on the Mephiston project! And it's good to be back!

Some of these have gotten a little more painting done, others haven't. I'll put up more updates in the future. Thanks for looking!

Looks good. In regard to the Mephiston GS work, might I suggest the use of some fine grit sandpaper? That might help to blend the edge of the GS on the cloak with the base cloak itself. It'll also help smooth out lumps and bumps, where necessary. :)

Looks good. In regard to the Mephiston GS work, might I suggest the use of some fine grit sandpaper? That might help to blend the edge of the GS on the cloak with the base cloak itself. It'll also help smooth out lumps and bumps, where necessary. ;)

That's an excellent idea with the sandpaper. Seriously, i haven't thought of that with Green Stuff before :) Think 600 grit should be fine?

Go black templar terminators!!

Love the grey knight with the hammer! His like

"Come at me Demon!"

I love Templar Terminators. So much fun and so much carnage! And I also love the Grey Knight with the Nemesis Force Hammer. I seem to model at least one "Come at me, bro!" mini in every squad ;) One such gentleman is a BA Death Company Marine jumping forward with two hand flamers. Always good stuff.

But another update, here's what I'm thinking of doing for my Nemesis Force Weapons. I have no idea why I didn't take any other photos since I also did a lot with the Grey Knights. I'll put those up tomorrow maybe.

gallery_42800_6895_1415773.jpg

Whatcha think folks?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's been a little bit, so I have an update on what I've been doing lately. I've been splitting my time between the Blood Angels, Crimson Fists, Black Templars, and Grey Knights lately, So I've got a little done here and there, and also a Dark Angels Vindicator for a friend of mine. So I'll just show it all to you now along with the colossal blunder I pulled on a vehicle last night.

So that's first. I spend four hours on this thing with the basecoat and dusting affect. I was coming out beautifully, so because of the onion paper thinness of airbrushing, I decided to put some matte varnish on it and call it a night. But for some reason, I FORGOT TO SHAKE UP THE :D ING CAN!!!!! This is the result, as much as I hate to admit it. This poor Baal Predator...

gallery_42800_6895_1701034.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_2019473.jpg

This is what it's supposed to look like after a Matte Varnish only red. The Dark Angels Vindicator. It was just a test for several different techniques in airbrushing, such as the shadowing underneath the main basecoat, and the dust effect. I think it came out pretty decent.

gallery_42800_6895_1135077.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1545039.jpg

Next up are the other Blood Angels I've been working on. Tactical Squad. I've only been doing more base stuff on most of them, but decided to paint one up as much as I could so I could get a feel for how they'll end up looking.

gallery_42800_6895_222545.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_439609.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1708199.jpg

Next up is my Grey Knight Justicar Terminator. He needs a lot of touch up, but he's coming out pretty decent, although taking forever. I am not looking forward to painting my Draigowing army!!!!! The sword was my first attempt at glazing. Obviously, that didn't turn out so well. See an above post for how I will be painting the GK Nemesis Force Weapons in the future.

gallery_42800_6895_1956520.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1189390.jpg

And next up is my LPC Update!!!! I'm having issues with the painting of the gold right now. It just doesn't seem like it wants to go on smooth, and it's driving me insane!!!!!!

gallery_42800_6895_806673.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_504686.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_135342.jpg

As always, anything you may have to offer in terms of advice will greatly help in my ever advancing life as a painter!

Hey mate, pretty good progress here!

One advice for painting gold, if you don't mind: It looks a lot like you painted it straight over black, or some other colour(maybe dark brown, but that's not the point I'm trying to make).

When painting gold, I found it always a very good technique to apply several mixes of gold-shade colours, e.g. scorched brown + shining gold.

Here's my recipe:

1:1 Scorched Brown/Shining Gold (don't forget the water!)

1:2 SB/SG

Pure Shining Gold (do several layers of thinned shining gold)

A wash of your liking (I use gryphonne Sepia)

Highlight with Shining Gold/Mithril Silver 3:1

" " SG/MS 2:1

Final and very subtle hightlights with SG/MS 1:1 (and don't forget the water!)

You can also apply several other washes to alter the tone of the gold, until it fits your preferences. I hope this was helpful for you mate!

Keep it coming!

Snorri

Hey mate, pretty good progress here!

One advice for painting gold, if you don't mind: It looks a lot like you painted it straight over black, or some other colour(maybe dark brown, but that's not the point I'm trying to make).

When painting gold, I found it always a very good technique to apply several mixes of gold-shade colours, e.g. scorched brown + shining gold.

Here's my recipe:

1:1 Scorched Brown/Shining Gold (don't forget the water!)

1:2 SB/SG

Pure Shining Gold (do several layers of thinned shining gold)

A wash of your liking (I use gryphonne Sepia)

Highlight with Shining Gold/Mithril Silver 3:1

" " SG/MS 2:1

Final and very subtle hightlights with SG/MS 1:1 (and don't forget the water!)

You can also apply several other washes to alter the tone of the gold, until it fits your preferences. I hope this was helpful for you mate!

Keep it coming!

Snorri

Thanks! I'll give that a shot tonight. Hopefully my mixing isn't totally shot from my time off of painting, so we'll see how it goes! It definitely needs it and I forgot how to do most everything I used to do :lol:

You can also get a gold with a simple method Some Blood Angels use for their Sanguinary Guard.

Mithril Silver over a black base coat.

wash with sepia, until it turns gold.

Starting with a Boltgun metal, instead of Mithril Silver, gives you a tarnished gold look, or with a few more coats of sepia, bronze.

You can also get a gold with a simple method Some Blood Angels use for their Sanguinary Guard.

Mithril Silver over a black base coat.

wash with sepia, until it turns gold.

Starting with a Boltgun metal, instead of Mithril Silver, gives you a tarnished gold look, or with a few more coats of sepia, bronze.

I might have to give that a shot with my Sanguinary Guard then. I've got fifteen in need of paint, only I coated them in Snakebite Leather already. I've got nothing to do tonight, I'll give do that too. Thanks for the tip, and I'll get some pics up tomorrow if my airbrush isn't clogged up (something always manages to find it's way in there).

So Yesterday after work I went home and gave Nachocuban's advice a shot, and I really like how it came out. It almost seems a little too dark, but underneath some good light, it came out pretty sweet. I did five different ones at first, the first with two coats of Sepia, second three, third four etc etc and compared all of them. I liked the darker one mainly due to the fact it seems more like they've been in battle for a long period of time. Tarnished/bronze, so I really like it that way. I never did like sparkling clean armor on most of my paint jobs. Just annoys me and has no flavor (but if that's your thing, go for it).

Unfortunately though, I couldn't get to Snorri's method. It was my sister's birthday so I could only do one. Sorry, Brother! I'll take care of that one tonight on the Templars, if my niece's birthday doesn't get in the way :) Anyway, enough of that, on to the Sanguinary Guard!!!!!

gallery_42800_6895_578359.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_173539.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_929168.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_455019.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_586195.jpg

Thoughts folks?

Look excellent, better then mine too ( i accidentally used boltgun instead of mithril >.> )

Another neat thing about this method is while you are painting the details, if you get paint on the wrong spot, you can easily scrape it off with a hobby knife, without worrying about taking the gold off.

Looks good so far, to me.

That's an excellent idea with the sandpaper. Seriously, i haven't thought of that with Green Stuff before :) Think 600 grit should be fine?

I can't believe I left you hanging on this. ;) :)

Yes, 600 grit should do it. I'd think any sandpaper that's, say, 300 grit or finer should do the job but I'm guessing somewhat, here. Hope that (belatedly) helps. :(

Unfortunately though, I couldn't get to Snorri's method. It was my sister's birthday so I could only do one. Sorry, Brother! I'll take care of that one tonight on the Templars, if my niece's birthday doesn't get in the way

Don't worry man, that method is quite time-consuming indeed and has a totally different shade of gold than your Guard has now. ;) They're looking good, by the way! Some more shades in the recesses and edge-highlighting will make them really pop! :)

I don't want to hijack your threat, but here's an example of how my method can turn out, so you can get a rough idea. :)

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/WIP/BILD0579.jpg

We want progress! B)

Snorri

Look excellent, better then mine too ( i accidentally used boltgun instead of mithril >.> )

Another neat thing about this method is while you are painting the details, if you get paint on the wrong spot, you can easily scrape it off with a hobby knife, without worrying about taking the gold off.

I thought about boltgun too (or a very thin airbrushing of mithril) but decided against it. Thanks for the tip on the scrape off of paint. I tend to slip quite a bit when I'm painting (see right hand of Assault Cannon Templar Terminator) so this is actually a great thing to hear.

Looks good so far, to me.

That's an excellent idea with the sandpaper. Seriously, i haven't thought of that with Green Stuff before Think 600 grit should be fine?

I can't believe I left you hanging on this.

Yes, 600 grit should do it. I'd think any sandpaper that's, say, 300 grit or finer should do the job but I'm guessing somewhat, here. Hope that (belatedly) helps.

I haven't done much on my custom Mephiston lately, so you're definitely not too late on that. I didn't like how the right arm I made came out and kind of moved it to the side and forgot about him. Seriously, I'm fairly certain he somehow got moved behind my 9.8 Grade Deadpool #900 stand. Hopefully I'll get to him within the near future.

Unfortunately though, I couldn't get to Snorri's method. It was my sister's birthday so I could only do one. Sorry, Brother! I'll take care of that one tonight on the Templars, if my niece's birthday doesn't get in the way

Don't worry man, that method is quite time-consuming indeed and has a totally different shade of gold than your Guard has now. ;) They're looking good, by the way! Some more shades in the recesses and edge-highlighting will make them really pop! :)

I don't want to hijack your threat, but here's an example of how my method can turn out, so you can get a rough idea. :)

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/WIP/BILD0579.jpg

We want progress! B)

Snorri

Your method seems like it would do really well as a detail paint method. I don't mind taking time on things, but those really really really long ones I prefer to hold as detail work. But if there's time for it, I would most certainly use it on a whole model. Maybe I'll use it for repainting my Dante since my attempt at NMM came out so awful. So bad I never posted it up on my WIP. But as for an update, I have no photo's, but I did manage to squeeze in a few things in between birthday's, clean up basement Saturday, and Super Bowl Sunday, so here's the list of what I've done.

I entered a small competition to create myself as a space marine. I'm sort of taking an easy route because there is a Space Marine head with the exact same hair as mine, but the true challenge, Greenstuffing facial hair! I have chops and a goatee. If you've realized it, I have the Joe Dirt facial hair (this is NOT a joke). Doing this because a friend of mine had a dream I was a Grey Knight in Terminator Armor. Just for fun.

Spent some time trying to bend my Forgeworld Land raider doors into proper shape. For some reason, I couldn't get the assault ramp done worth a crap. It's a little better, but still out of shape. I got most of the side doors to where gluing them works just fine. I've got the doors on my Crimson Fists Land raider on and I'm basecoating that now (Terminator LR Doors) and my Grey Knight doors are on and ready to begin basecoating as well. The third set is a Set of Crimson Fist doors that I'm saving for a Crusader as Kantor's Personal Transport (Story is that is was sent to them by Helbrecht).

The basecoating didn't exactly go as planned for the CF Raider. The paint I used was very old and was pretty chunky, so it clogged up my airbrush, causing a massive runny paintjob on the interior of the raider when pressure built up, and then blew out of the color cup a little. I temporarily looked like a spotted smurf..

I made an attempt at glazing Saturday evening on the wings of one of the Sanguinary Guard. After half about 15 minutes, it went from brown to a slight white. 30 minutes later, no more white than before. Don't know what I did wrong, so I'll revisit that in a short while.

And I'm also customizing a Grey Knight Paladin to look like the picture in it's unit entry in the Codex (Left hand sword, right arm stormbolter). I've done the right arm, but I have no GK bodies at the moment (extra arm worked splendidly). Waiting for my three boxes of Terminators to come in for my Draigowing Army. Have to custom a Me, a Librarian, and something else, but I forgot. I also basecoated my two dreadknights. That is all for now!

Well, since yesterday I passed out after getting home from work for 3 hours, I didn't paint anything, but I certainly had time for some pictures. Over the weekend I did the Nemesis Greatsword for my Dreadknight, so I figured I would post the pics up for that, so here they are!

gallery_42800_6895_543662.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1816447.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_18377.jpg

Also, the left arm for my swapped weapon Paladin.

gallery_42800_6895_1537585.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1602275.jpg

Not amazing, but I think it all came out pretty decent. The Greatsword I'm actually kind of proud of because I didn't think I had it in me to do the blending like that. As I was doing it, I thought I made a lot of errors, but after I took the tape off it looked pretty good for a first try. The underneath of the blade looks a little more obvious with the blending, but I think the top came out alright.

The left arm sword needs some adjustments to it since they came out a little tilted. I can't seem to find my pin vise and I'm not exactly happy about that ;)

Anyway, what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's abeen a little bit of time, but I haven't exactly been lazy about it. I've mainly been basecoating and such the past few days, but this weekend bore proper fruit as to the WIP section of things. Mainly on my Draigowing army since I finally got all of my terminators and extra psycannons in to do them properly. So without further ado, here are some of the baddest boys (in my opinion) in the game.

Group Shots are always fun. In the back I have my Grand Master and Draigo being prepped up. Both are made from the Draigo body because my first one came from GW with two left arms that were both miscast along with no right arm. The one they sent was fine aside from the bolter missing a section (like not enough resin was poured in).

gallery_42800_6895_989650.jpg

Hammernators

gallery_42800_6895_1067492.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1057595.jpg

Halberds

gallery_42800_6895_480202.jpg

Swords

gallery_42800_6895_1551725.jpg

Psycannons. Second photo, left needs fixed since I started messing with the sword and didn't properly cover the model (like an idiot).

gallery_42800_6895_1630305.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1840889.jpg

Apothecary and two Warding Staves

gallery_42800_6895_1764111.jpg

Brotherhood banner

gallery_42800_6895_900068.jpg

Now, for the first kitbash/cutomizing guy, Grey Knight Librarian. And what makes a librarian stick out? ALL THOSE WIRES!!! :D I modeled him after the current Librarian Terminator to help single him out.

gallery_42800_6895_312870.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1156295.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1209532.jpg

I started screwing around with the Force Weapons and this is how the non mastercrafted weapons will be painted up.

gallery_42800_6895_1862370.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1488239.jpg

And finally, my swapped arm Paladin. Inspired by the artwork on the Paladin entry page in the codex. Left hand sword, right arm bolter.

gallery_42800_6895_432544.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_778932.jpg

gallery_42800_6895_1000445.jpg

Archived