Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Best Horus Heresy cover-art ever

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

Perrin

Perrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 695 posts
Fear to Tread
http://www.blacklibr...11/closeup2.jpg

http://www.blacklibr...2011/11/big.jpg

http://www.blacklibr...ngels-fear.html

Edited by Brother Tyler, 17 November 2011 - 12:31 AM.
Hot-linked images turned into links.

Wade Garrett, on 21 Nov 2013 - 18:33, said:

I agree with Legatus on the team work issue.

Imagine you're the coach of the Primarch football team, and you want your guys to run a zone defense.

Except Angron is plowing straight up the middle trying to sack the quarterback, Curze is off on the sidelines stabbing the opposing team's mascot, and Alpharius is somehow suddenly the referee.

So much for zone defense.

Pulse

Pulse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,783 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Star Lords.
Signus Prime was the place the BA orginally got their "Black Rage", before Sangy was killed i mean.

Edited by Pulse, 16 November 2011 - 11:34 PM.

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,200 posts
  • Chapter Name: Vlyka Fenryka
Oh yeah, definitley one of my favorite in terms of cover art in the series and one of my fav. events. Can't wait.
Posted Image Posted Image
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hallows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

Coryphaus 101

Coryphaus 101

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 515 posts
  • Chapter Name: Word Bearers
That is cool. I reckon the little bit under the title (like in all the Heresy books) should say 'fools rush ahead'
QUOTE (Wolf Lord Kieran @ Jun 11 2012, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Billuriye @ Jun 11 2012, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for Janus, we don't know. Since he's a psyker he can't be Loken nor Garro but he's probably one of gents hired by Garro.

well, considering that loken has been crushed by a titan/falling building, survived a virus bomb,, survived a duel with abby, punked lucius the eternal, took a world eater in cc, pwned the 2 marines the WE was with, and then came back to his sanity with a single sentence... i believe that loken will manifest whatever abilites the BL decides to give him.

maybe he is a latent psyker that abilities were brought out by the trauma he suffered in being so awesome. <_<

Krucious Arkanadae

Krucious Arkanadae

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
One thing i wonder, In Horus rising i think it was, or maybe Fulgrim? I cant remember, but any how they described Sanguinius to have black hair, but he is always depicted with blonde.

Malatox

Malatox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 306 posts
  • Chapter Name: Disciples of Decay
@Krucious, I think that might have been to do with his mourning of the companies lost on Murder, but I'm unsure since I haven't read them in a while.

Malatox

Battle record 6th Edition
Death Guard (Disciples of Decay)
Wins- 1
Losses- 0
Draws- 0

Blood Angels (The Blooded Brethren)
Wins- 3
Losses- 1
Draws- 0

Jimmy Carmine

Jimmy Carmine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 291 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Ultramarines

@Krucious, I think that might have been to do with his mourning of the companies lost on Murder, but I'm unsure since I haven't read them in a while.

Malatox

It is Horus Rising where they mention him having black hair, there's no mention of the hair being dyed though.

"His long black hair was pressed down by the weight of the shawl of gold chain he wore across his head. The edges of it framed his solemn features. He had marked his cheeks with grey ash is mourning"

I don't have the page number as I'm reading it off my Kindle, but it's 81% of the way through near the start of chapter seven.
There are some men, weak philosophers and cowards, who say that hatred clouds the judgement.
They are wrong! Hatred gives us purity. Hatred gives us focus. Hatred gives us our purpose.

-Chaplain Cassius of the Ultramarines

sponsra

sponsra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
An extremely tireing debate about Sanguinius hair color can be found here http://www.bolterand...howtopic=239102 starts at post 21...

Edit: Great cover art! Go Neil Roberts!

Edited by sponsra, 17 November 2011 - 09:29 AM.

sponsra

sponsra

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
And the La sagrada familia in the background. Nice.

Sons of Horus

Sons of Horus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,059 posts
  • Chapter Name: Luna Wolves
The Primarchs are starting to appear on the covers more and more, which I think is nice.

Kill for the living! Kill for the dead!

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 66 posts
I think ADB said it was an author debate, with himself, McNeil and Abnett pushing black hair and Swallow pushing blonde.

Looks like Swallow wins.

Anyone else feel the tagline should be: you can not pass!

DamonD

DamonD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts
Pretty swank. This is been an awesome year for covers, between this, Corax on his jetpack, the Primarchs at Ullanor and Head Punching Action Guilliman With Kung Fu Grip.

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,183 posts

I think ADB said it was an author debate, with himself, McNeil and Abnett pushing black hair and Swallow pushing blonde.

Looks like Swallow wins.

Wasn't any pushing, as such; I recall a few of us saying we preferred black when it came up. Jim was never going to go with that - he always preferred blond.
Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

+ The Angels Numinous + (WIP Project Thread)

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Dorns_fist

Dorns_fist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,225 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson fists and a small amount of Imperial fits
Is that Angron or just a random Khorne demon?

Great cover also, I need to get back on these series of books, only got to fulgrim.
"My brothers we have been sorely wounded and brought to our knees, but i ask you to rise from the ashes of despair, by flamer we'll burn, by bolter we'll purge and by blade we'll cut out the heart of the greenskin body, Brothers rise, for you are sons of Dorn, for we the Crimson fists and we shall never fail" - Pedro Kantor

"going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case...."

http://image.boltera..._1792_24448.jpg

Olisredan

Olisredan

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,256 posts

Is that Angron or just a random Khorne demon?

Great cover also, I need to get back on these series of books, only got to fulgrim.

It's Kabandha (sp?), a Bloodthirster of fearsome power. I think he's meant to be Khorne's favourite, or something.

Edited by Olisredan, 17 November 2011 - 03:23 PM.

Fbm7BxJ.jpg

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

My multi-choice story thread. Watch this space.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

tIU118i.jpg

Billuriye

Billuriye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 705 posts
And Sanguinius broke the back of this daemon with his knee... How ?

Olisredan

Olisredan

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,256 posts
Well, it was at the Siege of Terra and Sangy was holding a breach in the wall to the inner palace so... with plot armour?

Fbm7BxJ.jpg

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

tIU118i.jpg

Billuriye

Billuriye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 705 posts
I meant the size difference between the daemon and Sang makes the action a bit implausible.

Olisredan

Olisredan

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,256 posts
Sanguinius eats implausability for breakfast! ^_^

Fbm7BxJ.jpg

tIU118i.jpg

Greyall

Greyall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,425 posts
With how he's depicted in that cover, it's almost plausible. If we assume the Bloodthirster is his usual building-size, then whoever writes the scene at Terra might as well Sanguy dropkick the daemon's spine, because if they go with the "holds wrist and ankle, slams down of the knee" lyrics, it's going to take all my suspension of disbelief reserves. Even with Sanguinius doing Magnus and Russ's trick of "growing", Bloodthirsters tend to be massive.

The awkward crotch-dragon knocks a few off, though.

Firepower

My Hall of Grawry

Týr

Týr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 321 posts
  • Chapter Name: VI Legion

I meant the size difference between the daemon and Sang makes the action a bit implausible.

Be careful not to read anything to literally. Leave some room for your own interpretation.
I can immagine Sanguinius breaking it's back by other means, than lifting it over his head, and ramming it against his knee (like a boss).
And have in mind that Neil Roberts artwork dosen't necessarily have anything to do with the plot in the book, or reflect what happens in the book 100%. When I met him, he told me, that he often makes the artwork without having read the book. That happend with the First Heretic he told me, hence the Custodians fighting Word-bearer-deamon-things on an unknown world not mentioned in the book.

And the cover to Fear to Tread is truly awesome. Looking forward to this read and to see how James Swallow handles Blood Angels.

Edited by Týr, 17 November 2011 - 05:02 PM.

Grandmaster Anaziel

Grandmaster Anaziel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels

Looks like Swallow wins.

Wasn't any pushing, as such; I recall a few of us saying we preferred black when it came up. Jim was never going to go with that - he always preferred blond.

Perhaps his hair color is different depending on who looks at him? Or on Sanguinius' mood?
I know that Magnus' eye changes appearance. Maybe Sanguinius' hair is the same. :ph34r:
QUOTE (lee265 @ Feb 19 2011, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with us is we don't understand the non-linear 8 dimensinal time GW uses for its timelines.

QUOTE (Heru2012 @ Nov 17 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, I'd much prefer to see old Sanguinius ripping the wings off the the big red punk, then maybe punching through his back, tearing out his spine predator style....not realising its just more skulls for the skull throne.

ALIENAGENUS_mc wazzahamma_FALSUS

ALIENAGENUS_mc wazzahamma_FALSUS
  • ALENAGENUS

Looks like Swallow wins.

Glad I covered my ass with "I think", then.

Didn't intend to paint it as a council of Nikaea over hair colour.

I do wonder though, how much it matters in the minds of the authors as far as continuity goes. Can any author change the physical appearance of a character on the basis of preference? If it were simply a discussion before any published appearances of Sanguinius, I wouldn't be asking, but in both BL depictions so far he has black (and that image was created in my mind) hair, so Swallow's preference will contradict that. You could also say McNeill's and Abnett's depictions contradicted previous GW imagery. Is there any sort of ruling or "locking off" on this sort of thing? Or could Abnett write a sequel and just go back to "the angel's long black hair"?

I'm more curious about the inner workings of group authorship than his actual hair colour. I mean, I'll deal with it, ya know...

Edited by mc wazzahamma, 17 November 2011 - 11:01 PM.

Heru2012

Heru2012

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 258 posts
  • Chapter Name: Brothers Aeternus
To be fair, I'd much prefer to see old Sanguinius ripping the wings off the the big red punk, then maybe punching through his back, tearing out his spine predator style....not realising its just more skulls for the skull throne.
Brothers Aeternus Hall of Honour
WIP Index Astartes: Brothers Aeternus
Comments and Criticisms Welcome

Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.
Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Heru

Grandmaster Anaziel

Grandmaster Anaziel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 129 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels

You have no idea how badly I would like to read that!

Can I sig this please? :)
QUOTE (lee265 @ Feb 19 2011, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem with us is we don't understand the non-linear 8 dimensinal time GW uses for its timelines.

QUOTE (Heru2012 @ Nov 17 2011, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users