Noise Marines

A D-B

I really want to like these guys.

I mean, I know we can say that about a lot of units in a Codex that grows ever older, but I like the models, I love the background, and I love the idea of a tooled-up Noise Marine squad in a kitted-up Rhino, running around and killing people with compacted walls of focused sound. That's hard not to love. They don't even need to shout Fus Ro Dah, or whatever.

Of course, they're not exactly the unit of kings. That doesn't bother me too much, especially since I'm sure they'll get buffed whenever the next Codex: Chaos Space Marines rolls around. (Not insider info. Just... blind assumption.) I'm just curious if anyone on here uses them, and in what capacity. I expect this to be a silent thread, but it's worth a shot.

So who uses them? And how? Do you convert them, or do any Counts-As? And do you have any specific fluff for them / your squads?

I'm planning of using them if I ever get round to starting the Chaos army I've been banging on a bout for some time :D

If I do, then I'll get a squad of six with a blastmaster and two sonic blasters (?) and a Rhino. Not competitive or anything.

Ludovic

Before I decided to play only Thousand Sons as my chaos force, I playtested Noise Marines (I was doing a Noise Marines/Thousand Son teamup list for a while). I liked them on the table top, but it was just too expensive to get my hands on all the sonic weapons.

I love the look and background for the Noise Marines, especially since I saw the picture of one with what is basically a Chaos guitar in the 2nd Ed codex, but I don't use them in games atm because I don't like the current models, nothing about them screams "Slaanesh!" at me. I hadn't thought about converting some, I may look into that...

Ooooh great to see so many people trying them!!!

Im a massive fan of the old blastmaster and regularily kit up a 7 man squad with all the goodies, Asp champ with power weapon combined with assault settings for the sonic blasters and the extra I equals a really great mobile support unit for midfield who can recieve or give a charge.

I like to use the GW models and kit bash my own, and all in 80's hair band mode with pink leopard prints and fur samples glued on as well as chains, spikes, borat swimwear etc. Needless to say i use many non-traditional materials.

I have 10 of the old 2nd Edition models. Loved the description of eardrum bursting sound waves and psyker and morale disrupting cacophony. But I think the last time I have used them was back in 3rd Edition. I usually prefer Berserkers or Plague Marines over them, both in terms of rules and in terms of fluff. (I dearly miss the plague grenades from 2nd Edition, which could be used to slowly infect the board...)

But I have faced a smaller Slaanesh force of one of my friends a few times. Soemtimes while playing a Guard infantry force, which is just brutal. Sometimes with Marines, and even then the volume of fire is nothing to scoff at.

I have never seen a wide use of doom sirens, but theoretically they should be pretty devastating on MEQ armies, shouldn't they? Especially when jumping out of Rhinos.

I want them back as a part of our psychic defenses, you hear me GW?!

*shakes fist*

Ahem, sorry.

@The Colossus

I am a huge fan of Daemonclaw's works. thank you for bringing them up. :D

5 man blast master camper .

8-10 man with sonics [no blast master] with a rhino for a water style army[stoped being viable around codex SW/IG].

8-10 man unit without sonics a fist champ rhino and a syren with a possible LR rush build . Works more or less 1 time against any opponent [if they dont read the list before the game and/or if they dont know NM upgrade options].

this is how NM look like since the codex came out.

as for using . counts as with GK is the best way to go . better shoting[extra blast master per squad] . psychic powers and force weapons [with possible even higher I then MoS dudes] for less points . unless someone cant get their hands on a GK dex I dont see why would someone want to use them in a different way at this point of 5th ed.

At the current moment I have no actual Noise Marines to call part of my army :(

However, I have always wanted to have atleast one full squad of them just to wreak havoc across the battlefield with such delight.

Emperor's Children have always been my second favorite Traitor Legion simply because of how broken and :cussed up they are, yet they still manage to hold a sense of pride in themselves and who they are. Noise Marines have always represented the worst of their kind, and what attracted me the most to having a squad of Emperor's Children Noise Marines was seeing how far I could push them to become the very pinnacle of a 'shattered mind'.

The way I have always wanted them to be represented in my army fluff was to go to the extremes with their pursuit of pleasure. Over 10,000 years, these Noise Marines have gone above and beyond their brothers in the quest for eternal excess, and in doing so slowly became numb to the mundane pleasures of life. Eventually the depravity has been taken to the point that they are numb to all save the pleasure of war. Being monsters that have given themselves body and soul to the Beloved One (Slaanesh), their minds degrade when deprived of the pleasures of war and they eventually become nothing more than drooling servitors who can barely even walk or their hearts even beat. They have become so addicted to that ecstasy of war that if they remain unstimulated for long enough, they will die from withdrawal. So to preserve their brothers, the Emperor's Children of my warband keep the Noise Marines locked in stasis and constantly pump their bodies with a cocktail of drugs and nutrients to sustain their lives until the next battle.

The Blessed Song (lead by a Noise Champion who has bestowed upon himself the name of Dirge) remain this way until war comes again, and when it does they are shuffled out onto the battlefield and someone literally has to shoot a human in the head to spike their consciousness back into life, from which the slow but steady bass of their heart beats begin to blare across their vox casters as one. Then the killing can begin.

As far as game wise goes, I have always just wanted to give the entire squad Noise Weapons because it simply seems wrong to give them anything else. One expensive squad filled with expensive gear. Very Slaaneshi thing to do. :P

I've been playing CSM for quite a while, and I have ALWAYS had at least one squad of Noise Marines in my lists just for the coolness factor. Back when you could have Noise Marine Devastators with 4 BM in a squad I was lovin it, now not so much. I simply love the old models and HAVE to field them no matter what :P. The latest incarnation of the model is kinda bleh. I'm really hoping the new 'dex gives the NM some punch again.

I've always been a big Noisemarine fan, but I've only gotten around to painting one special model. I used to field as part of my last master plan, six noise marines, one blastmaster, park on home objective. Fearless with heavy weapon, 160 points.

http://www.muschamp.ca/OffSite/noiseMarine.jpg

I love NM. I take them often, friendly games and competitive. Even without upgrades they can make for a pretty decent "counter" unit. That boost in I means that I can drive up and unload my NM and double tap with bolters, then I take the charge and still hit first. This is assuming that the other units I is lower.

I usually only do a fully upgraded squad in Apoc, when I don't have to worry that Lucius is running around with them. Otherwise I do a couple of Sonic Blasters with a power weapon champ with the Doom Siren. The Blast Master is a Whimsy thing to me, don't get me wrong, it has done great and terrible things. My favorite being turning a 5 man squad of recently teleported Termies to paste. Best shot ever. I subsequently lost that game viciously, but that was worth it.

Let me turn on Tenacious D's "Master Exploder" to get into the correct mind frame to answer this post:

I want them back as a part of our psychic defenses, you hear me GW?!

*shakes fist*

Tyranids have had the shadow in the warp for most if not all iterations of their books, why don't we have anything to represent how wherever we go the veil parts and dripping yellow madness pours out? Every other item and unit in our book has a valid explanation for why it would drive a nearby psyker mad with despair/confusion/hatred/ecstasy! ^_^

I've always been a big Noisemarine fan, but I've only gotten around to painting one special model. I used to field as part of my last master plan, six noise marines, one blastmaster, park on home objective. Fearless with heavy weapon, 160 points.

http://www.muschamp.ca/OffSite/noiseMarine.jpg

Gorgeous!

If/when I make some noise boise, I think I'm gonna have to make some plain ones out of the box (hopefully a new kit by then), and make a "band" sort of unit. Some people have called the idea of them being more musician than soldier silly and absurd, but chaos is all about a twinge of absurdity in a mantle of madness on a wretch driven by tainted reason. To me there are several types of noise marines, the sound laserz ones, the weaponised instrument ones, and the profane artist ones. They play the role of cover fire in the Emperor's children's armies, either by horrifying their targets, crippling them with the terrible effects of warp-touched music or a mix of the two. What better way to pin the enemy than to not even shoot and instead march up to them (Marching band, lol) and make them drop their rifles to cover their ears and pray for the corpse-god for a reprieve (or an encore if they've learned from our insane insight).

why don't we have anything to represent how wherever we go the veil parts and dripping yellow madness pours out?

because when JJ came in 3ed he found the 2ed dex too complicated [and created the worse chaos sm dex ever]. 3.5 gave us other cool stuff [gifts ,nm gear , demons again, NM could be armed with plasma could take veteran skills etc] so not having the psychic debuff was ok . Gav did what he did with the dex going the way of JJ and no man will ever know why they thought that a t5 FnP 2 specials [in a melta edition] -1A for enemy on charge unit will be seen as just as "fun" to play as a unit that can neither shoot very well or do hth .

Emperor's Children have always been my second favorite Traitor Legion simply because of how broken and :cussed up they are, yet they still manage to hold a sense of pride in themselves and who they are. Noise Marines have always represented the worst of their kind, and what attracted me the most to having a squad of Emperor's Children Noise Marines was seeing how far I could push them to become the very pinnacle of a 'shattered mind'.

The way I have always wanted them to be represented in my army fluff was to go to the extremes with their pursuit of pleasure. Over 10,000 years, these Noise Marines have gone above and beyond their brothers in the quest for eternal excess, and in doing so slowly became numb to the mundane pleasures of life. Eventually the depravity has been taken to the point that they are numb to all save the pleasure of war. Being monsters that have given themselves body and soul to the Beloved One (Slaanesh), their minds degrade when deprived of the pleasures of war and they eventually become nothing more than drooling servitors who can barely even walk or their hearts even beat. They have become so addicted to that ecstasy of war that if they remain unstimulated for long enough, they will die from withdrawal. So to preserve their brothers, the Emperor's Children of my warband keep the Noise Marines locked in stasis and constantly pump their bodies with a cocktail of drugs and nutrients to sustain their lives until the next battle.

The Blessed Song (lead by a Noise Champion who has bestowed upon himself the name of Dirge) remain this way until war comes again, and when it does they are shuffled out onto the battlefield and someone literally has to shoot a human in the head to spike their consciousness back into life, from which the slow but steady bass of their heart beats begin to blare across their vox casters as one. Then the killing can begin.

I sometimes forget, as I'm sure do others, how tragic the story of the four god-bound legions is.

The lobotomized bezerkers, bereft of all notions of glory and uncapable of anything but rage. The Plauge Marines, forever decomposeing and saved from the most painful death only by inflicting it on others. The rubric marines, reduced to soulless and mindless pieces of armour, to escape the corruption of the warp.

And the Noise Marines, of which I will not speak as your quote says it all, more eloquently than I ever could.

Thanks for reminding me!

I used to use them in my 3.5 Emperor's Children army, but I altered the background and aesthetic for them: instead of carrying sonic weaponry, they carried psych-reactive instruments made of stolen Wraithbone that, when played, evoked incredible emotional and sensual responses in those exposed to the music.

I always considered using noise marines just for fun assault bolter basically, although could never imagine them in my armies background wise. Was tempted to use their rules tho but just have it as different 'variants' of bolters, maybe something simple like "demon bolter" or something? As for the initiative, no idea. Say something like they're veterans? Or maybe some kind of demonic possessed marines but just not as 'feral'?

As for using them in my iron warriors I'd probably just imagine them being fancy upgraded bolters and maybe some kind of armour/bionic improvement to do with the speed.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of Noise Marines in background terms: I would've much prefered to Slaaneshi cult unit to be something slightly more Cenobitic or otherwise Clive Barker-esque: Marines who have gone beyond all extremes of pain and pleasure, and for whom the battlefield provides a myriad suite of sensations. Of course, the Noise Marine thing could be included within this, but something more general, that refers to sensation and experience as a whole or in terms of its variety, would be much more fitting IMO.

Something akin to the current Dark Eldar "power from pain" special rule would be perfect, with a little alteration in terms of application to make it distinct: Slaaneshi marines who grow increasingly more crazy and powerful the more they experience.

Archived