BBJ Does Nipplewing!

Last weekend I met up with my friend and fellow B&Cer Emperors Instrument for a couple of games of 40k at the ever awesome Giants Lair, he brought along his blood angels (of which he has many!) and for the first game fielded his Sanguinary Guard list (or NIPPLEWING), while he got kinda beaten like a ginger stepchild the list looked like a lot of fun! More importantly though, if purchased from Wayland Games the whole army, including codex, is less than £100.

So, I'm kinda weak, and like new stuff, here's my new stuff:

gallery_43855_7041_233890.jpg

Won't be stopping the Red Scorpions any time soon, but these guys will give me another alternative for when I want a more 'interesting' (read, random) game!

ok, no models yet, but I have made progress on what will be the most time consuming part of this army... gold.

Normally what I do when painting gold, even large-ish amounts is slowly layer shining gold over a calthan brown basecoat, gives a nice warm colour. Unfortunately this approach takes AGES and if I had to paint 21 (yep, only 21 gold dudes in this army, 3 will be red!) whole models using this method I might actually consider stabbing myself in the eyes as an easy-out.

So, new methods required it seems, not keen on the time investment required for NMM (or for that matter confident in my ability as a painter to make a convincing go of it!) I've opted for metallics, my trusty airbrush and a bottle of Vallejo Model Air Gold (VMA 71.066 is what's on the bottle). Even over a black undercoat this stuff seems effective:

gallery_43855_7041_91667.jpg

That's just a single really thin coat, left door in both halves of the image is with slightly more thinners than I think I should have used, right door is probably what I'll go for as it's solid-ish in one coat, should be pretty awesome in 2.

Only problem with the vallejo gold is that there's no real colour match with GW paints, so I'll need to use the same gold throughout, and just add silver to it for highlighting, relying on washes for 99% of the definition. For info, this is the kind of level of definition i'm looking at getting on every model (though maybe it won't happen *quite* like that):

gallery_43855_7041_3460.jpg

Any hints/tips people can give me on painting large amounts of gold will be greatly appreciated!

ooh, also, here's the list:

Dante

Sanguinary Priest

Jump Pack

Power Sword

Sanguinary Priest

Jump Pack

Power Sword

Sanguinary Priest

Jump Pack

Power Sword

Sanguinary Guard

Power Fist

Chapter Banner

Infernus Pistol

Plasma Pistol

Sanguinary Guard

Power Fist

Infernus Pistol

Plasma Pistol

Death Masks

Sanguinary Guard

Power Fist

Infernus Pistol

Plasma Pistol

Death Masks

Sanguinary Guard

Power Fist

Infernus Pistol

Plasma Pistol

nice easy upgrade to 1750 if I want, just add The Sanguinor!

You might wanna drop the Death Masks on those squads because they aren't really worth it. Also for Dantes unit I'd have at least 3 Infernus Pistols in there so when they come down you can pop tanks. In my Sanguinary Guard army I had 2 units of SG with 5 Plasma Pistols so I'd maybe suggest trying it out and attaching a SP to them aswell and use them to pick on Heavy Infantry.

you get a plasma pistol and an infernus pistol per box. You should be fine to plasma up one squad if you cut them from the others. Otherwise head to your bitz site of choice. I'd swap out the death masks for some power fists, it'll do you a lot more good in most games as the army lacks high strength CC attacks and has no heavy weapons. That said, death masks look awesome.

and so it begins!

first 5 dudesmen:

gallery_43855_7041_92569.jpg

the one without a left hand obviously is the standard bearer type fella, no wings yet, they'll be staying separate until the end so I can paint them white without fuss. Barrels also aren't drilled yet, I'll do that when all 24 (oh christ) models are assembled!

Another 5 dudesmen:

gallery_43855_7041_179618.jpg

Also, budget is now well and truly busted, eBayed a couple of nartheciums for my sang priests, 3 plasma pistol arms and 3 inferno pistol arms. I guess I'll magnetise a couple of bolter arms and just swap them out as required!

Assembly complete-ish, wings need doing (the one that has them is blutacked), here's the nipplewing in full force!

gallery_43855_7041_238663.jpg

With regards the wings, how do those work? I'm kinda used to that sort of thing being fixed, but the wing fittings seem kinda fuzzy. They don't seem to lock in anywhere? Surely that makes them really fragile.

I'm halfway tempted to not use them at all, but I've a feeling that will make the gold overpowering, no counter-colour.

Thoughts/suggestions please!

Tomorrow I prime.

Archived