Land Raider Variants

Pbenner

So, after seeing a Land Raider Ares pattern for the first time today, I was looking over at the NiB Vindicator I got in trade from a local guy, and all of a sudden it became a NOS Rhino... my bad...

I was going to use the Land Raider (Godhammer) I got for the conversion, but since it needs the Twin-Linked Assault Cannon, I scrapped that idea. I am going to go buy a Crusader to start this quest (I swore I'd never buy another LR at $75 a pop... GOD DAMMIT!).

Then I found the Terminus Ultra, and I damned near crapped my self. It's my new love. That's enough Las Cannons to obliterate a unit of Paladins in two turns. I think I'm seriously in love!!

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, off to hunt down bits off Ebay I go...

Guess I'm going to need to buy a 3rd Godhammer now, since there are conversions to be done!! (Two more God Damned GW kits, oh well. My FLGS will be happy with me!)

lol!

Paul

My suggestions are thus:

1. I always tell people to buy the godhammer and use magnets for the crusader conversion @ the GW website.

2. Also check out SpikeyBits.com and Battle wagon bits at the TheWarstore.com

I magnetized both of my landraiders. Alot of work but worth it.

I have the parts to make the two any of the standard LRs. This edition, I'm leaning towards the godhammer over the crusader.

Guess I'm going to need to buy a 3rd Godhammer now, since there are conversions to be done!! (Two more God Damned GW kits, oh well. My FLGS will be happy with me!)

One day, the DEA is going to have to raid Games Workshop of America's headquarters. :(

You do know about these, right?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...odId=prod80002a

Or for your Terminus Ultra -

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...dId=prod1280042

You'll still have to buy an additional LR plus one of the above to go with the one you have to make both the Ares and Terminus.

Or buy both kits above and magnetize doors/guns/etc.. You may even be able to get just the Predator-sized las cannons on ebay (since you have the other stuff as part of the Godhammer). Of course the second option is going to take some planning - removable demolisher cannon and dozer blade and what not.... actually, I have no idea how to accomplish that with the doors - but it's a thought.

Here is some inspiration.

And I would be fine with the flamestorm cannons being count as TL heavy flamers. Or you can come up with the conversion.

ah yes, the terminus ultra.......very impressive tank. in one Apoc game I played, I destroyed two baneblades and a warhound then It suffered from power overload, suffered catastrophic damage, and was destroyed. but, my opponent was counting on the destroyed units to carry his force to victory......so all in all it served its pupose. the techmarines were pissed of course, but victory demand sacrifice. as a matter of fact, my TU has always been a game changer..... it's the only variant that I have always had supreme confidence in, and have recommended to others.

haven't had much luck with the Ares yet.......... :tu:

I like the Terminus Ultra for mechanical reasons, but the "official" model has always bugged me... the cannons cannot all be brought to bear on the same target! Heck, the rear sponsons cannot even face directly forward! This kitbash with triple Godhammer sponsons is how I'd want to go about building one.

...and she's all mine:

gallery_13203_846_660973.jpg

I've only used her in tanksgiving, and the inability to bring all five lascannons to bear on a single target (well, maybe a flanked superheavy at close range...) is annoying, but I usually can get 3-4 of them pointed at one large target (like an enemy land raider) and use POTMS to fire the out-of-LOS godhammer at a second target...four lascannons at a proper tank, and pop a rhino on the side? That's better than firing all five at the main target!

With the twin linked rear Las Cannons, unable to bring then to bear because they can't rotate that far I assume. Must be able to face the enemy, not just get them in your front arc?

Paul

You may even be able to get just the Predator-sized las cannons on ebay (since you have the other stuff as part of the Godhammer). Of course the second option is going to take some planning - removable demolisher cannon and dozer blade and what not.... actually, I have no idea how to accomplish that with the doors - but it's a thought.

There's a (UK) site called Bitz Box that sells bits individually, so that might also be a good place to go.

Ajax: major droolage over that conversion :lol:

Ajax: major droolage over that conversion :P

To be clear, its not my conversion. I'm planning on building one like it for myself someday soon... But I need to finish the rank and file of my Angels of Redemption Deathwing before I start splashing out on fancy tanks. In my head, I'm planning on Land Raider that is swappable between the Ares, Achilles, and Terminus Ultra variants. It will be named "Apocalypto." -_-

Yeah the Terminus Ultra is devastating on the battlefield. There's something quite satisfying about being able to cripple your opponent's super heavy with a single volley :teehee:

Here's one I did for my Salamanders army that used a pair of predator turrets. I always hated that the rear lascannons couldn't point forward on the official model so I decided to put them on top:

http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab340/machinator248/TerminusUltra.jpg

Wowa -- *rubs eyes* -- I'm seeing double. If anything it looks more killlier than the original. Great conversion idea well executed ;)

Cheers

I

That one is pictured a few different places, it's really nice. Sadly, the Predator turrets are not cheap or I would totally do that as a conversion.

Decisions Decisions.

Do the Predator Turrets come off? Can you take some better pictures of the conversion? I would love to see how it's done. I would want them to be rotatable.

Best,

Paul

That one is pictured a few different places, it's really nice. Sadly, the Predator turrets are not cheap or I would totally do that as a conversion.

Decisions Decisions.

Do the Predator Turrets come off? Can you take some better pictures of the conversion? I would love to see how it's done. I would want them to be rotatable.

Best,

Paul

Yeah I had the predator turrets laying around and I always wanted to do that kind of conversion after seeing something similar on one of the old epic Chaos Land Raiders. A cheaper alternative may be to use the razorback TL lascannons.

The turrets are removeable and do rotate. They're actually mounted on the standard Rhino mounting plate. Here's the thread that goes over what I did: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...inus-Ultra-Redo

I thought I'd got through this stage of my life, but it turns out I'm a picky and grumpy sod:

There is no such thing as a "Godhammer" Land Raider; the "standard" Land Raider is called a Phobos-patter Land Raider.

Godhammer is a patter of Lascannon.

Yeah, I sound like a bit of a dick.. But blame OCD :teehee:

I thought I'd got through this stage of my life, but it turns out I'm a picky and grumpy sod:

There is no such thing as a "Godhammer" Land Raider; the "standard" Land Raider is called a Phobos-patter Land Raider.

Godhammer is a patter of Lascannon.

Yeah, I sound like a bit of a dick.. But blame OCD :)

Well now that you got that off your chest, we'll back to calling it the Godhammer anyway - it sounds that much better :P

You could of course think of it as a nickname in honor of it's primary armament.

So I'm seeing some really cool LR's on here but I'm ending up with more questions.

I was looking seriously at getting an Achilles type and I thought it would really help my forces. Does anyone else use this or have a critique of its performance? Also, and this may seem ignorant, but is the Terminus Ultra allowed outside of Apocalypse games? At my gaming club there really aren't any Apocalypse games and nobody seems to have a single army that size or any Titans as of yet so we always play from the normal rules. I went to another store and one older guy already had a problem with my talk of Forge World models and using units out of their books.

Well,

In friendly games, both the sheets are "chapter approved" which in my mind means they're for Standard 40K games.

As long as your opponent is okay with your selection, anything goes in 40K friendly games. Locally, I know that I would be allowed to play both the Ares and the Ultra as long as I cleared it in advance.

As far as for Tournaments, that one is a different question. Would have to clear it with the TO before planning on it. For my FLGS, the organizer has allowed all the "40K approved" stuff from Forgeworld, so I don't see why this stuff would be different.

Best,

Paul

I have an ultra too and wish I woulda thought of the 2 top sponson turrets. That is just amazing and actually looks functional. I have never been real happy with the way the rear lascannons can't actually shoot forward. Looks like I may be doin' some disassembly, no, no disassemble, number 5 is ahem, but just might have too. I saw another one on another site that they put the sponsons up front and mounted the single lascannon below and in between the TL ones, all on the same sponson. Looked really good and all lascannons could come to bare on it.

I also believe it should be able to splitfire or machine spirit 2 of or one side set of sponsons.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcgreen/5797...in/photostream/

This is not my photo, while digging for images, I found this. I am thinking I might construct mine in this manner. It makes more sense for the sponsons to be able to fire directly forward. It appears that instead of being on either side of the rotating post, they're both mounted to one side with the cover being attached after a bit of modification.

Anyone have any thoughts?

best,

Paul

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmcgreen/5797...in/photostream/

This is not my photo, while digging for images, I found this. I am thinking I might construct mine in this manner. It makes more sense for the sponsons to be able to fire directly forward. It appears that instead of being on either side of the rotating post, they're both mounted to one side with the cover being attached after a bit of modification.

Anyone have any thoughts?

best,

Paul

Having modified quite a bit myself I'm going to put in my two cents here. It looks like they've definitely placed the pivot either on or next to the inside Lascannon to gain clearance and the forward facing. My only concern on that is that it would create difficulty in turning them back towards the rear again as the sponson would have a much larger spin arc. This will be more important if you want the full sponson arc shown in the rulebook in case someone is behind you for any reason. I think the top mount is better and I would probably go with the Razorback turrets for it. The Pred turrets are pretty cool but much bulkier and may also not spin with as much clearance as the Razorback ones. That won't matter in all situations but in some it may make a big difference. I've been disappointed by mere fractions of an inch in games before.

Decisions Decisions.

Best,

Paul

Yeah I had the predator turrets laying around and I always wanted to do that kind of conversion after seeing something similar on one of the old epic Chaos Land Raiders. A cheaper alternative may be to use the razorback TL lascannons.

The turrets are removeable and do rotate. They're actually mounted on the standard Rhino mounting plate. Here's the thread that goes over what I did: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...inus-Ultra-Redo

Can I get you to take a few extra pictures of the conversion area? I'd like to see how the mounting plates interact with the hull. Not trying to be a pest but I'd like to see exactly how they line up.

Paul

Archived