Sanguinary priest spam?

Axira

Ok, so I read up on the rules and found that in the sanguinary priest section it stated:

"You can take 1-3 Sanguinary Priests (one of which can be Brother Corbulo) as a single Elites choice."

And as per rules...all Sanguinary Priests are IC's!

The point I am trying to make is that you can buy 3 for 150p and then seperate with the unit and join other units, and because they are a single elites choice, they only award 1 kill point once you kill all three of them!

Is this tactic viable or am I cheating if I do this?

They are pretty horrible per point except for blood chalice. Any list under 2k points should only need 1 or 2 chalice.

But the thing is that they only take up 1 Elite slot instead of 2-3! Which I think is absolutley amazing!

Aye, pretty nice if you want to run more than 1, give some more room to add other stuff :D

I posted a sanguinary priest conversion guide here It's not to pretty, but fast and easy blood chalice :P

Now that is a great tutorial! I am not to sure about the size of the cup, but the idea is just purley awsome!will be trying this out and post the results in the tread!

Aye, pretty nice if you want to run more than 1, give some more room to add other stuff :D

I posted a sanguinary priest conversion guide here It's not to pretty, but fast and easy blood chalice :P

Now that is a great tutorial! I am not to sure about the size of the cup, but the idea is just purley awsome!will be trying this out and post the results in the tread!

I agree, and I rarely have one at less than 1k. Ive tried it, and its pretty innefective, as it gives off a kill point. My current 750 list has 4-7 kill points (with combat squadding), whereas my old one had 6-7. Same possible, but it gives me the option of having beefier squads, and saves kill points. A priest is really easy to kill, especially unugraded (and you cant afford upgrades at small points), and best used in large squads.

Nice tutorial. Another way to do it is to just to lop of the round end of the melta bomb and drill a hole in it. Its a lot smaller... I would post the tutorial I found it on, but its on Heresy... which is still down :/

Great idea though, I think I like the look of yours better, just too big.

Generally run 2 at least. Ran a list with 3 once but the coverage was pretty over the top, with 2 constantly overlapping ;) It was abit of a waste mind but it kept my terminators and assault marines in the game!

When considering a priest consider how many lives theyre saving ;) 5+ doesent sound like much but it works against anything not ID now! That in itself is HUGE! Last wednesday I had my priest keep a 5 man assault squad alive that was holding a bloodthirter in combat for 3 combat phases! Every turn he only killed 1 (due to extrremly lucky rolls mind) on that same flipside at least getting a 5+ save against AP3 weapons like the IG flame tank or AP3 sternguard bullets is very nice <_<

He is a IC though and sure he can be singled out in combat but with the LOS save that aint to bad really ;) The price of the IC has more to with what advantages he gives the unit. Priest also brings FNP which can be a huge help when charging something like say, MEQ's!

Are they worth their costs? Imho yes. They can be singled out but then again in this edition everyone and everything can ;)

The main reason I am not the biggest fan is the 5+. The change isnt use, but most ap3 weaponry allready is ID on T4 guys.

Battlecanons, Vindicator shots, etc.

So if :cuss really hits the fan the FnP isn't enough. Having said that it still is quite good but I prefer using more damage output instead of "toughness" for the guys.

That and I feel a Libby is so much (Blood Lance, Shield) better and even doens't cost that much more with a JP upgrade.

The main reason I am not the biggest fan is the 5+. The change isnt use, but most ap3 weaponry allready is ID on T4 guys.

Battlecanons, Vindicator shots, etc.

So if :cuss really hits the fan the FnP isn't enough. Having said that it still is quite good but I prefer using more damage output instead of "toughness" for the guys.

That and I feel a Libby is so much (Blood Lance, Shield) better and even doens't cost that much more with a JP upgrade.

You say a 5+ FNP is not worth it but give your Libby Shield for a 5+ cover save? B)

You must consider that the FNP is a second save. So you get a normal save and then a 5+ FNP! As with the 5+ cover save you must choose it, but you get to use it with vehicles and ID wepons!

Is there any reason you asume I am not aware of this?

In short, I am not that sold on FnP. As mentioned I like 1 where it has added value.

Looking at this topic name "spamming Sanguinary pries" I am not a fan of it.

The points you could spend on 2-3 priests are comparable with 2 libs, who are a better allround choice and add more power to the list overall instead of a unit buff.

The points you could spend on 2-3 priests are comparable with 2 libs, who are a better allround choice and add more power to the list overall instead of a unit buff.

Alternatively, the points you could spend on one Librarian could buy you 2-3 priests who have an effect on pretty much every non-vehicle unit in your army.

You say a 5+ FNP is not worth it but give your Libby Shield for a 5+ cover save? :P

Yes, and I assume you don't use any vehicles in your army?

Actually no, not at the moment. I'm using a DoA list as I got sick and tired of playing Razorspam in an army where assault squads are troops.

The Blood Chalice is a 6" bubble around the SP, and I pretty much keep all of my forces pretty close. Typically, I run 2-3 in a 1500-2000 point army. One gets a bit tooled up and given to the Sanguinary Guard, then 1-2 get embedded in the rest of the army. Again, usually with a jump pack and joined with Assault Squads. With the "independent movement" of models in a squad, it's pretty easy to play SP in such a way to cover huge sections of the board to maximize Feel No Pain.

Three Independent Characters for one Elites choice is nifty. You're basically paying 25 points for Feel No Pain, Furious Charge, and Independent Character. The other 25 comes from the fact that he has a slightly better statline then a Sternguard or Vanguard model. His wargear options are no worse then any Sergeant, but the trap lays in giving him too many wargear options.

I recently started them, pretty sure they are essential.

A priest can cover three squads.

Effectively, it buys you ten more wounds, 180pts, even if you half that because they are none shooting back wounds, its almost double its pts back.

Furious charge is just a big whoopie

The biggest M/TEQ killer out there, is plasma, and we get FNP against it,

Sure, we dont get it against demolisher cannons, but should we? Really?

Depends on your list, but 1 per 1k of infantry sounds like a decent rule of thumb

I do my Priest ratio based off "Units Supported", not points level. I feel in the end it pans out about the same, but I run anywhere from 1:2 all the way up to 1:4. Most commonly I use 1:3 and 2:5 ratios.

And 10 Assault Marines will take (on average) 30 'normal' wounds to completely kill them off. With a Priest, that goes to 45 normal wounds. Note that it doesn't take that much to render them combat ineffective--- but in an objective game, even that last man standing can score.

When AP and ID are involved, of course the numbers drop way down. But roughly you can experience 30% higher survivability. Also, they give FC--- so basically, you gain a ~15% buff to melee (Str5 vs Str4) and a ~30% buff to survivability. So the Priest is 'worth' 50 or 75pts (or 90pts how I run them) which is the same as ~3-4 Assault Marines; so some lists benefit from Force Multiplication, especially if written to gain the most benefit from the melee buff (ie RAS). For a pure shooting list, I don't think you need Priests (generally you can add bodies to cover the 30% survivability). But an Assault-based Army nearly always benefits from the Priest and both his bonuses.

Priest are godlike when used in consort with Terminators (specialy with the added importance of a 2+ save in 6th) and even against attacks negating their armour 2x a 5+ save can save ALOT. On bikers they can also use the FnP up till lascannons (only demolisher cannons and the like will ID them!)

Also consider that an assault marine is 18 pts, some are given gear like meltaguns or are sargeants with fists. If he saves 2 or 3 at the very least he will have earned his points back and with character sniping back in the game (from various sources) thats a nice bonus to have :tu:

Dont make the mistake to think priest only give FnP though, FC is a huge part as well! Specialy if (like me :D) you only get 1 red thirst roll per game AT MOST (and most of the times on my ranged support tactical squad OR a dread....) were not hitting at I5 anymore but that buff of S5 and FnP together make a world of difference! You dont need to give the priest himself a PW either, but it sure helps because of his WS5 :D A poweraxe hittong on S6 on the charge is sick! Goodbye terminators! *whack*

Are they a must take? Well no. Are they good though? Imho they are :)

Archived