Game Debrief

Rather than do this one game at a time, I'm going to lump it all together to save time (tbf, there's not a great deal of difference)

Librarian Dreadnought

• Game one it killed a few Harlequins and that was pretty much it's highlight. Fluffed it's lines on the spells (such as Wings in game two), didn't make the most out of it's Warlord Trait, died twice. Yeah, not good. I think I might persist with it but maybe not as the Warlord and besides, I wont' always be up against stuff that can deny... or things with invulnerable saves.

Captain

• Did nothing himself but his aura was indispensable. Considering he barely moves, perhaps I should make him the Warlord to I can use Orbital Bombardment? Perhaps a FnP trait or something. Oh, and the Veritas Vitae gained me 1 CP over the two games so I've fallen out of love with it...

Lieutenant

• Again, aura was useful and on another day would have mattered (i.e. no invulnerable saves). Gave him the Angel's Wing in game two was an inspired idea and worked in bypassing all those stormbolter shots for the Dreadnoughts... Of course, this was a result of tailoring as I had to trim my list down knowing I was facing a random GK list. I don't like tailoring so I need to decide if this should be permanent (well, I'm supposed to). Weapons were as expected but they are on the model so...

Furioso

• Game one is did it's duty as bait - it's basically in the list as it's cheap, fluffy, and to water down target priority (especially against an opponent who hates it from previous editions). Game two I tried to use it like I do my DCDs... trouble is, it's a watered down version. Basically, I think I need the points for claws to run a footslogging one and/or maybe a grapple.. Oh, and I miss the frag cannon but it's too expensive :(

Relic Contemptor

• In the list instead of a Codex one for the lascannons (and better rules). However, from both games I think I'm not being aggressive enough with it (probably because it could sit back with the lascannon). For example, in game two it could have sat on my "home" objective and I may have had a second turn then! The jury is still out on the grav blaster because it cares not for Harlequins...

"Choppy" Scouts

• There to put pressure on opponents, grab other objectives, etc. In G2 they did their job but I coulnd't capitalise, in G1 in hidsight they were lost cheaply. Again, I think being rusty played a part in this and I should have done better on deployment.

"Shooty" Scouts

• Shooty as in they don't have swords. HB did as well as expected with the stratagems and the sniper rifle was useful in G1 (it was a bolter in G2). Nothing to really write home about but perhaps I should work on placement. Both types of Scour Squads are becoming a staple in most of my lists...

Devastators

• As mentioned above, Auspex Scan could have saved me in G1 and meant I got to play shenanigans (even though it was pitiful in G2). Need to remember that the cherub has stats! It's still an extra attack in combat, etc. Oh, and I still love (my) Devastators in combat, they seem to outperform my Tactical Marines haha

Mortis Dreadnought

• In the list because it's a whole one point cheaper than it's Index counterpart. Actually had Man of the Match in G1 as it took a load of fire (and 8 autocannon shots do as well as expected, shame they only had troops to shoot at). Benched for G2.

Leviathan

• If I believed in curses, etc, then it would have suffered from first use syndrome. Munched through Harlequins in combat as expected but the invulnerable saves came into play for the Death Jester. Whiffed it's shooting but that happens. Basically, I think it was the wrong matchup for it but again, that happens. Jury is out on the grav-flux bombard and it was benched for G2

Missions

• G1 was a "new" mission for me from Chapter Approved but at the end of the day it's a standard Maelstrom mission... and one where I couldn't rack up enough kills or generate cards of use. Even if I had played perfectly I wouldn't have caught up in points imo :( I think as I play more I'll be able to react faster and be more proactive rather than reactive.
  • G2 was a "new" mission for me from the Open War Cards. Now, I don't play Eternal War often and I was caught completely off guard to lose the game. Oh well. It probably wouldn't have mattered but if I had activated my Librarian Dreadnought and use stratagems to get my attacks up and got maybe one-two attacks through (at four damage) it would have been a different story. He also periled and lost two wounds earlier which i've just remembered.

Do any of those bad boys have a 2+ BS? 

There's something called a Deredo Dreadnought that also looks amazing. If I do an order from foreworld I'll probably pick up some admech stuff (drill, hoplite kits) and would love to add something to BA. I know a BA dreadnought is coming out but those crazy things I saw on FW looked amazing.

I mean, Grav Flux Bombard or whatever weapon. What is that?!? I hope its good because it looks awesome!

Also the Daredo with auto cannons and there was another sweet dreadnought with some sort of lascannon battery.

Yeah. I like.

The Mortis is basically the a normal Dreadnought with dual weaponry.

Both the Relic Contemptor and Leviathan have BS2 but it degrades. The grav-flux ideally wants to be facing large units of (preferably) multi-wound models (i.e TDA) to generate extra hits or Monsters/Vehicles/superheavies to generate extra damage.

Both the Relic Contemptor and Leviathan have BS2 but it degrades. The grav-flux ideally wants to be facing large units of (preferably) multi-wound models (i.e TDA) to generate extra hits or Monsters/Vehicles/superheavies to generate extra damage.

Thanks. At this point in my gaming <cough>career<cough> I'm really just looking to have fun with awesome units. These types of units are great to throw in and shake things up in the group. Knowing what the grav-flux does is nice because I can tailor my list depending on the opponent. Death guard terminators/plague marines. Sounds like a win!

It's fun as our collections grow we can mix and match and try new things.

With something that has BS 2+ on a tough chasis that is pretty amazing. I'm thinking multiple weapon options are a must.

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

I've had great succes with a dual grav-flux bombard leviathan in mirror matches, munching sanguinary guard and death company alike! 
One thing i still can't grasp is the cc weapon on them. Am i the only one who thinks that dual ranged weapons are the way to go? 
I'm interested in your thoughts on it in general, Jolemai. Would you bring it to the table with perhaps a different loadout in hindsight? 

Thanks. At this point in my gaming <cough>career<cough> I'm really just looking to have fun with awesome units. These types of units are great to throw in and shake things up in the group. Knowing what the grav-flux does is nice because I can tailor my list depending on the opponent. Death guard terminators/plague marines. Sounds like a win!

It's fun as our collections grow we can mix and match and try new things.

With something that has BS 2+ on a tough chasis that is pretty amazing. I'm thinking multiple weapon options are a must.

Cheers, thanks for the reply.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to points. In the same book there is the Contemptor Mortis Dreadnougght which has access to dual weapon systems (note that you can't mix and match), so that's (for example) two twin lascannons. Also, both Mortis Dreadnoughts can additionally take a cyclone missile launcher (note you'll need the FAQ to do this).

If you're going down the FW route, I do recommend that book - especially as FW are being so slow on the updates right now.

I've had great succes with a dual grav-flux bombard leviathan in mirror matches, munching sanguinary guard and death company alike! 

One thing i still can't grasp is the cc weapon on them. Am i the only one who thinks that dual ranged weapons are the way to go? 

I'm interested in your thoughts on it in general, Jolemai. Would you bring it to the table with perhaps a different loadout in hindsight? 

Dual ranged weapons is oddly cheaper than having a single combat weapon, so I would consider it for this list (if I had the components). As I haven't the points available for a Lucius Pod, dual weapon systems on a footslogging Leviathan - especially one that is hanging around a Captain's bubble - would be a improvement. Trouble is, that makes him reactive and a counter unit given he would be slow in this instance (and the lack of range on the weapons)... at which point you might desire some oomph in combat if you're caught out like I was.

I see a ranged and combat weapon Leviathan like I see a Fragioso was used last edition - basically it arrives via Pod or Stormraven and deletes a unit, then proceeds to be a harassment. However, if you have the wrong target or fluff your lines, it's an expensive mess.

Dual ranged weapons is a safer option, mixed needs a plan and target, dual melee is a DCD on combat drugs (just a shame you're hindered on mixing the claw and drill now)... I'll likely say similar when I get around to re-writing the Veritas Vitae guide on Dreadnoughts.

Dual ranged weapons is oddly cheaper than having a single combat weapon, so I would consider it for this list (if I had the components). As I haven't the points available for a Lucius Pod, dual weapon systems on a footslogging Leviathan - especially one that is hanging around a Captain's bubble - would be a improvement. Trouble is, that makes him reactive and a counter unit given he would be slow in this instance (and the lack of range on the weapons)... at which point you might desire some oomph in combat if you're caught out like I was.

I see a ranged and combat weapon Leviathan like I see a Fragioso was used last edition - basically it arrives via Pod or Stormraven and deletes a unit, then proceeds to be a harassment. However, if you have the wrong target or fluff your lines, it's an expensive mess.

Dual ranged weapons is a safer option, mixed needs a plan and target, dual melee is a DCD on combat drugs (just a shame you're hindered on mixing the claw and drill now)... I'll likely say similar when I get around to re-writing the Veritas Vitae guide on Dreadnoughts.

Thanks! That was about the same way i was thinking. Thank you for the insights.

To be fair, i've only run them in all dreadnought lists and in pairs so theres that haha

Game Debrief

Rather than do this one game at a time, I'm going to lump it all together to save time (tbf, there's not a great deal of difference)

Librarian Dreadnought

• Game one it killed a few Harlequins and that was pretty much it's highlight. Fluffed it's lines on the spells (such as Wings in game two), didn't make the most out of it's Warlord Trait, died twice. Yeah, not good. I think I might persist with it but maybe not as the Warlord and besides, I wont' always be up against stuff that can deny... or things with invulnerable saves.
Captain

• Did nothing himself but his aura was indispensable. Considering he barely moves, perhaps I should make him the Warlord to I can use Orbital Bombardment? Perhaps a FnP trait or something. Oh, and the Veritas Vitae gained me 1 CP over the two games so I've fallen out of love with it...
Lieutenant

• Again, aura was useful and on another day would have mattered (i.e. no invulnerable saves). Gave him the Angel's Wing in game two was an inspired idea and worked in bypassing all those stormbolter shots for the Dreadnoughts... Of course, this was a result of tailoring as I had to trim my list down knowing I was facing a random GK list. I don't like tailoring so I need to decide if this should be permanent (well, I'm supposed to). Weapons were as expected but they are on the model so...
Furioso

• Game one is did it's duty as bait - it's basically in the list as it's cheap, fluffy, and to water down target priority (especially against an opponent who hates it from previous editions). Game two I tried to use it like I do my DCDs... trouble is, it's a watered down version. Basically, I think I need the points for claws to run a footslogging one and/or maybe a grapple.. Oh, and I miss the frag cannon but it's too expensive :(
Relic Contemptor

• In the list instead of a Codex one for the lascannons (and better rules). However, from both games I think I'm not being aggressive enough with it (probably because it could sit back with the lascannon). For example, in game two it could have sat on my "home" objective and I may have had a second turn then! The jury is still out on the grav blaster because it cares not for Harlequins...
"Choppy" Scouts

• There to put pressure on opponents, grab other objectives, etc. In G2 they did their job but I coulnd't capitalise, in G1 in hidsight they were lost cheaply. Again, I think being rusty played a part in this and I should have done better on deployment.
"Shooty" Scouts

• Shooty as in they don't have swords. HB did as well as expected with the stratagems and the sniper rifle was useful in G1 (it was a bolter in G2). Nothing to really write home about but perhaps I should work on placement. Both types of Scour Squads are becoming a staple in most of my lists...
Devastators

• As mentioned above, Auspex Scan could have saved me in G1 and meant I got to play shenanigans (even though it was pitiful in G2). Need to remember that the cherub has stats! It's still an extra attack in combat, etc. Oh, and I still love (my) Devastators in combat, they seem to outperform my Tactical Marines haha
Mortis Dreadnought

• In the list because it's a whole one point cheaper than it's Index counterpart. Actually had Man of the Match in G1 as it took a load of fire (and 8 autocannon shots do as well as expected, shame they only had troops to shoot at). Benched for G2.
Leviathan

• If I believed in curses, etc, then it would have suffered from first use syndrome. Munched through Harlequins in combat as expected but the invulnerable saves came into play for the Death Jester. Whiffed it's shooting but that happens. Basically, I think it was the wrong matchup for it but again, that happens. Jury is out on the grav-flux bombard and it was benched for G2
Missions

• G1 was a "new" mission for me from Chapter Approved but at the end of the day it's a standard Maelstrom mission... and one where I couldn't rack up enough kills or generate cards of use. Even if I had played perfectly I wouldn't have caught up in points imo :( I think as I play more I'll be able to react faster and be more proactive rather than reactive.
  • G2 was a "new" mission for me from the Open War Cards. Now, I don't play Eternal War often and I was caught completely off guard to lose the game. Oh well. It probably wouldn't have mattered but if I had activated my Librarian Dreadnought and use stratagems to get my attacks up and got maybe one-two attacks through (at four damage) it would have been a different story. He also periled and lost two wounds earlier which i've just remembered.

The Veritas Vitae, while on paper it looks good. If you are running multiple relics like I often do my choice is do I want 3 less CP and a chance to regain some (normally of Strats worth 2CP thus losing 1 in a perfect world), or do I just drop 1 CP for 2 relics and not take it. Honestly because I never seem to regain any I've been going for the latter option lol

Battle Summary

Using my Scout list – 1000 points Vs Necrons

Another battle summary, this time against another army I've never faced and an opponent who's yet to play this edition...

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain – Warlord
Chaplain
Command Squad
Drop Pod
Two "choppy" Scout Squads
Bolter Scout Squad
Sniper Scout Squad
Two Tarantulas
Scout Bike Squadron

gallery_62972_9890_1538982.jpg

Battalion 8 CP

Necrons (Sautekh Dynasty)

Lord - Warlord
Cryptek
Three squads of Necron Warriors
Necron Immortals
Lychguard
Destroyers
Wraiths

Battalion 8 CP

Pregame

Mission is No Mercy (Eternal War, BRB)

Basically, BA sees the Tarantulas take good firelanes on my right hand side, with the sniper Scouts combat squadded to claim two ruins. The choppy Scouts were pressed forward, with the bolter Scouts out of sight behind a ruin along with the bikes. The Characters and Command Squad were off the board in the Drop Pod.
Necron deployment was remarkably straighforward: the Warriors occupied the first rank(s) with the Immortals just behing. The Lychguard surrounded the Characters, with the Destroyers at the back and the Wraiths chilling to the side...
I lose first turn...

gallery_62972_9890_409810.jpg

The game

Simply enough first turn from the Necrons as they all move forward together bar one Warrior unit which advances (the Wraiths, which will become important later, are now at the front of the army by the silos). Then pretty much their entire army unloads on the choppy Scouts reducing them to a single Sergeant between both squads – who is subsequently dealt with in the assault phase. BA retaliation is suitably straightforward – what moves forward does so, with the bolter Scouts pushing through the ruins in the direction of the Wraiths and the bikes heading towards the Warriror line. Everything then combines to take a handful of Warriors from the lead Squad. In the assault phase the bolter Scouts charge the Wraiths (who do a single wound but get wiped in the process) and the bikes take on the lead Warrior Squad reducing them to two for one wound in return...

gallery_62972_9890_230275.jpg

Necrons 3-0 BA

The Wraiths (who gained their wound back) apparate through the silos towards the first row of sniper Scouts and the Warriors fall back from combat (who had two models returned) – which allows the entire army to decimate the bikes. The Wraiths unload on the snipers in combat who perish rather quickly. For the Blood Angels the Drop Pod arrives on the Necron's right flank disgorging the Chaplain, and Command Squad who bring their weapons to bear on the nearby targets – which only eradicate a Destroyer and the odd Warrior. Meanwhile the Captain calls down an Orbital Bombardment which ionises a few Warriors. The Tarantuala knocks a wound off a Wraith...

gallery_62972_9890_1097883.jpg

Necrons 5-0 BA

The Wraiths (who gained their wound back again) apparate through the ruins towards the back row of sniper Scouts (but only kill one with their shooting) and the Warriors who fall back from combat in turn one are now up to seven models thanks to the Cryptek. The characters, Lychguard and one squad of Warriors make towards the BA Command (their shooting wipes the Command Squad but the charge fails) whilst the other Warrior Squads, Destroyers, and Immortals head towards the Tarantulas (destroying the heavy bolter emplacement). In combat the Wraiths only down one model and lose a wound in return. (In the BA phase the Scouts plink away another wound with their pistols before the Sergeant finally hacks one down with his chainsword – however, he has no Squad left at this point). The rest of the BA phase goes as expected: the remaining Tarantula puts a cannon-sized las-round through a Destroyer, a few Warriors die to short-ranged fire, and the Captain charges the Lychguard and tears them to pieces with his relic blade.

gallery_62972_9890_1438915.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_567790.jpg

Necrons 7-1 BA

... and that's game

Priest' autopsy report

A few take home points before I go into a unit by unit account: not only do I need to read up on Necrons (whilst I knew who I was playing I didn't clock what army he had) but damn are they hard. Not only should I not charge Wraiths (tbf their 3++ was what kept them in the game) but I really need to focus on downing units more than ever here. For example, I dithered on burning the three CPs for my Bikes to have another round of combat. Should have gambled 1) because the mission required dead units and 2) I obviously had CP left at the end of the game. Regarding CP regeneration, their version is much better than ours and being able to advance and still fire heavy weapons is a neat bonus (which would be nastier in Maelstrom). Naturally I made other mistakes too which I'll divulge in a moment...

Captain

• Veritas might have got me a point? Otherwise Artisan and Relic combo is still as tasty as ever (don't have a Captain with thunder hammer model). absolutely fine with this fluffy choice

Chaplain

• Didn't do anything this game bar shoot (the Captain ate his targets) but in hindsight if I had targeted another unit (and survived the overwatch) then I could have piled into them and gone on a rampage. Fluffy but the most at risk of the two HQ choices

Command Squad

• Expensive bullet catchers. Combi-grav was a waste this game, plasma does what is says on the tin. Fluffy and I need something to ride in the Pod but I'm tempted to switch them out. Basically, I need a hard counter element and they die to a stiff breeze like all Marines do

Drop Pod

• I wanted to bring them on T1 only to be informed that the beta rules were in play (see below), so it ended up arriving in T2. Prefered having the stormbolter but it's yet another immobile unit in this army. Starting to wonder if there's an alternative to help keep the Characters up with the Scouts but on a 4x4 board is it really needed?

Choppy Scouts

• Put all my shotguns in one basket but didn't get the chance to see it shine. Perhaps I should have placed less aggressively? Need to work on that... Also opted for two units and WYSIWYG as the opponent was new to this edition. Might not do that again...

Bolter Scouts

• Mortal wound trick worked (and on a moving HB too!) but I threw them away cheaply. As the chap was learning the rules I wanted to show some of the nuances (such as charging from out of line of sight, walking "through" ruins, etc) but I definitely underestimated their target

Snipers

• Split these into combat Squads which 1) meant I finished deploying last, 2) gave my opponent and extra KP, and 3) gave me too many immobile units on the board. Perhaps I should keep these small and boost the other Squads down the line.

Scout bikes

• Put these in my deployment zone for some reason, but at least they were out of sight. Still, I over extended with them and should have seen their combat through to the end (if only for KP and Reanimation Protocols). On my Xmas list despite the heads being naff beyond belief...

Twin-las Tarantula

• Always a boon should it do anything and a mainstay in this army. Placement done like cannons in WHFB (placed first, good fire lanes to dictate opponent placement) but perhaps I should put it down later when a decent target down? Also, with the vehicle keyword it can't be placed on the top floor of a ruin which is annoying...

Twin-HB Tarantula

• Tarantulas are fluffy choices for Scout forces (well, IMO from the 6th/7th edition rules) and a twin HB does as well as expected. However, I'm considering benching it for a twin-assault cannon should I find the points to give the list more power. It's another immobile unit though :(

Thanks for the report! As far as the scout bikers go - how did you feel about them overall? I have two squads, I've yet to use- do you think they are good at chaff clearing or something else? Thanks again for the report!

I like them but I don't know how to use them correctly yet. I want to use them like one would use light cavalry in WHFB but I'm being too aggressive.

Their damage output at 12" is phenomenal (moreso if you give the Sergeant a combi-weapon via the Index - twin bolters, combi and a shotgun 0.o).. and then they have combat weapons meaning they have some oomph in combat too.

I think there is too small though. Maybe a fourth? They are great for chaff clearing but could have more niche uses.

Thanks for the report! I made the mistake of underestimating my gf's necron as well teaching her the game... never again. Necron are hard to kill off completely.

Better luck next game!

Standard case of being unfamiliar with the rules and still being rusty overall. Hopefully I'll sort as I get more games under my belt...

• 2 weeks later...

Battle Summary

Using my Troop spam – 2000 points Vs Salamanders

What's a battle summary I hear you ask? Well basically it's a summary with photos of the battle rather than an in-depth report like I normally do...

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain Smash – Warlord (DVoS)
Captain (Veritas)
Two Lieutenants (Angel's Wing)
Sanguinary Priest
Librarian
Sanguinary Ancient (Standard)
Two squads of Sanguinary Guard
Terminators
Company Anceint
Two Devastator Squads
Four bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad
Rapier (Quad Launcher)
Two Scout Bike Squads

Double Battalion + Vanguard – extra relics and DvoS = 10 CP

gallery_62972_9890_1355593.jpg

Salamanders

Primaris Captain
Primaris Lieutenant
Centurions
Aggressors
Stormtalon gunship
Stormraven Gunship (plus Tactical Squad)
Two sniper Scouts
Hellblasters
Devastators
Venerable Dreadnought

Battalion 8 CP

Pregame

Mission is Retrieval Mission (Eternal War, BRB). Beta rules are in play :/ There is an objective on the barricade in each deployment zone and one either side of the crashed thunderhawk.

Both Devastator Squads, foot Captain, foot Lieutenant, CompanyAncient, Quad Launcher occupt the ruin in my deployment zone. Three bolter Scout Squads are on the flank, with the choppy, shotgun, and Scout Bikes aiming to push through the centre. The Terminators start on the board in the middle of my deployment zone and everything else is in reserve.
Salamander deployment from my left to my right right -> Hellblasters; Stormraven (with Tactical Squad); Aggresors; Centurions + HQs; Dreadnought; Devastators; Stormtalon
I lose first turn...

gallery_62972_9890_169298.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_387813.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1494069.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_1177827.jpg

The game

Stormraven zooms into my deployment zone, whilst the Stormtalon zooms towards the Devastators. Considering the amount of lascannons on the field, there was little other movement: the Aggressors shuffled forwards and so did the Dreadnought. Speaking of lascannons, both squads of Scout Bikes bore the brunt of these where they unsurprisingly conceded First Blood. The Hellblasters and Stormraven drew a beed on the Terminators reducing them to two, the Stormtalon took out some Devastators whilst the Aggressors (and Scouts) unloaded onto my Scouts purging my choppy ones.
Of my three flanking Scout squads, one moved up towards the Hellblasters but out of line of sight, whilst the other two headed towards their enemy counterparts. The Terminators moved towards the objective in my deployment zone and the shotgun Scouts bunkered down in the crater by their objective. As the beta rules (pre FAQ 2) were in place, I brought some reserves on into my deployment zone: Smash appeared on the flank by the Stormtalon and the following appeared 9" away from the Stormraven: Lieutenant, SG, Librarian, Priest, SGA... A lot of shooting went into the Stormraven leaving it on six wounds (including a successful Flakk Missile salvo – first time I've pulled that off tbf) and a bit of chaff died elsewhere. In the combat phase Smash demolished the Stormtalon whilst everything failed it's charge against the Stormraven bar the Lieutenant – who did three wounds with a chainsword! Sadly a further three CPs couldn't finish it off leaving it on two wounds.

gallery_62972_9890_1226876.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_6582.jpg

T2 saw a Tactical Squad drop out of the Stormraven into cover and then it moved towards the Devastators. The Centurions shuffled forward, as did the Aggressors, whilst the Sniper Scouts continued to move away from my Scouts - so did the Hellblasters. Their shooting removed the middle Devastator Squad and got the top one (with heavy bolter) down to that one model. Meanwhile, so chaff died elsewhere...
My retaliation was swift. Smash skipped by the Scouts on his flank to get a charge on the Dreadnought, and was joined by the Lieutenant with UWoF: both of whom made their charge and destroyed it. The other SG squad dropped nearby too but failed their charge... On the other flank, the Scouts continued their harassment, the large blob of SG and friends moved towards the middle wreck and the Terminators had some fun with the Tactical Squad, dispatching them easily and grabbing their objective. The Stormraven went down to small arms fire, with a krak grenade doing the job in the end.

gallery_62972_9890_990408.jpg

T3 saw my right flank evaporate in a hail of lasbolts, leaving only the Scouts hiding in their crater. Meanwhile, the left flank was still fairly unmolested due to bad dice rolls.
This allowed my Scouts to close the gap, but the main blob was still 11" away from their Scout target... which didn't matter as the lead squad (now two left) made their charge! Meanwhile the SG and friends got the drop on the Aggressors, dispatching them easily in combat.

gallery_62972_9890_273813.jpg

T4 was focused on the nearby objective. I had two on my side of the board, the Centurions had their one and one uncontested (they had FB and StW too). The SG and SGA were blown apart and the Salamander Scouts fell back allowing their previous opponent to be shot off the board.
In my turn my Scout Squad finally caught up with the Hellblasters and engaged them, my two Characters moved and engaged their Warlord, and another Scout Squad was waiting. On my side of the board, my support staff advanced from their positions to shore up the crater objective.

gallery_62972_9890_305401.jpg

T5 played out as you'd expect, the Primaris Captain, Lieutenant, Hellbasters fell back towards the Objective (giving them an 8-6 lead), with everything else shooting the my units. My Characters died, as did almost all of the Scouts on that part of the board – apart from a Scout Sergeant!
... Who rolled high enough with his advance to get into range of the Objective and take it via Defenders of Humanity!

gallery_62972_9890_252474.jpg

BLOOD ANGELS WIN 9-6!

Debrief

• Too strong? Made him DC at the last minute for some durability but it didn't make a huge difference in the end. I also need more practice with him (or rather, the where and when to use stratagems) as I think I over-did it on the Stormtalon. Probably should have rolled the Scouts instead of the Dreadnought as I couldn't shift them with their 2+ save. I also wonder if Mephiston would be a better choice here?

Captain (Veritas)

• Think I got maybe 2 /3 CP back this game? Re-rolls were useful I suppose. Thing is, he was there to support the Terminators but ended up babysitting the heavy weapons. I suppose versatility is somewhat useful...

Two Lieutenants (Angel's Wing)

• The jump one was infinitely useful and is quickly becoming one of my favourite models. The other one was their for the buff, but again babysat the heavy weapons rather than the Terminators... Not sure if worth it?

Sanguinary Priest

• Didn't make use of any of his buffs/abilities this game. Tempted to bench.

Librarian

• Irreplaceable this game, definitely keep and useful for SG support

• Completely forgot about his buffs and the shenanigans associated...

Two squads of Sanguinary Guard

• I think I only need one Squad rather than two. The idea was redundancy but here it wasn't needed and the second squad was lost needlessly. Perhaps I should have been less aggressive with it.

Terminators

• First off, I put the homer by the Devastators instead of on my home objective. Oops. Got away with it this game even though they were expensive objective campers. Also ran them without buffs which didn't help... Oh, and I hate my assault cannon hitting on 4s. Needs work in this list or needs benching as they felt wasted (despite helping me win the game)

Company Anceint

• Forgot he existed as my Devastators got pinged off one by one without reply. Oops. When I finally remembered on my last Devastator (the heavy bolter), the cheeky hellfire shell missed :/

Two Devastator Squads

• Shenanigans successful, but I need to remember my signums! Perhaps another bolter would be useful. The grav cannons got to fire once (and did decent damage) but it's a target of opportunity. Perhaps plasma cannons would be better?

• I put these in the centre hoping to get a charge off early, but they ended up being wasted. Basically, I need to learn how to play Scouts properly. Perhaps a large flank push?

Three bolter Scout Squad

• ... which is what I did with these, only to realise that I really wanted my shotguns here for the advance + shoot ability. :facapalm: Still, it was these that won the game - my metal Scout sergeants are honestly phenomenal.

Shotgun Scout Squad

• Placed to support the choppy Scouts which makes sense on paper but they ended up not moving all game (and thus being out of range). In WHFB games were often won or lost on deployment and whilst it's not to the same degree in 40k, I certainly got away with it here. Think Jolemai, think.

Rapier (Quad Launcher)

• Underwhelming. Some might say this was because it was a proxy* but I basially need to know how to use it. Targetting Aggressors/Centurions/Hellblasters with the Thundefire shells does very little from one model (and I can't roll D3s to save my life). As for the Shatter shell, well that did nothing against Scouts with a 2+ save :/

Two Scout Bike Squads

• Deployed up close with the choppy Scouts, but basically they were still in line of sight (only just) and that was that. Need to buy if I'm going to use them this much

Double Battalion + Vanguard – extra relics and DvoS = 10 CP

• For this list I'll be sticking with the triple relic and I'll be considering moving the a Brigade as the list evolves. Need to check my cards if I can decide "on the day" if I should use DVoS. It's fluffy but probably not RAW...
  • Just a note about Salamanders, every time they fire they get a free To Hit and To Wound re-roll? Nuts.

Battle Summary

Using my Scout list - 1000 points Vs Death Guard

Nb: The images for T2 and (especially) T3 are really bad, but you can at least make out what's going on. I've left them in because it reflects how much of a daze I was in as the game wore on: I didn't even know what turn it was after T3! (I need sleep)

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain – Warlord
Chaplain
Command Squad
Deathstorm Drop Pod
Choppy Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad
Bolter Scout Squad
Sniper Scout Squad
Two Tarantulas
Sanguinary Priest

Battalion + Vanguard 9 CP

gallery_62972_9890_212056.jpg

Death Guard

Sorceror – Warlord
???
Plague Marines (Rhino)
Poxwalkers
Cultists
Two Blight Drones
Plagueburst Crawler
Blight Hauler

Battalion 8 CP

Pregame

Big Guns Never Tire (Eternal War, BRB)

The Tarantulas occupy the objective and hill in my deployment zone, with the Command Squad and HQs behind them. The snipers go into the left quadrant, the bolters go into the middle of my right quadrant near an objective, and the choppy & shotgun Scouts go on the extreme flank of the right quadrant. The Deathstorm is in reserve.
The Poxwalkers and Hauler are as far forward and close to the centre of the board as possible, with the cultists being them. The Crawler is at the back of the board and flanked by at a Blight Drone. The other Drone and Rhino (with Plague Marine cargo) are on the left flank eyeing up my snipers...
I seize the initiative...

gallery_62972_9890_55878.jpg

The game

In T1 choppy and shotgun advance towards the Crawler, with the shotguns doing little damage on the Bloght Drone nearby. The boltguns move over the crest, whiff their shots and then charge the Poxwalkers and Hauler... The Captain remains where he is hidden (which was a mistake as he had no line of sight for the Orbital Bombardment), whilst the Chaplain and Command Squad advance. The lascannon's miss and the assault cannons do maybe three wounds on the Poxwalkers. The Snipers do some damage to the Blight Drone in front of them. In the assault phase I do some damage but three Scouts perish (which bolster the Poxwalkers...)
Their retaliation was fairly brutal. The Rhino and Blight Drone move up towards the Snipers and unload, removing a handful of them. The Blight Drone subsequently charges leaving just two left at the end of the turn... Elsewhere the other Blight Drone kills the choppy Scout Squad (First Blood) and charges the other, leaving three left alive. The Crawler unloads on the assault cannon Tarantula and destroys it, whilst the Poxwalkers finish off their targets in combat.

gallery_62972_9890_434315.jpg

T2 continues in the same vein. The Drop Pod arrives on the central objective and does minimal damage with its shooting. The Command Squad get into range of the Poxwalkers to do inconsequential damage, whilst the Captain moves onto the hill by the lascannons (which miss again). Nothing of note happens in combat.
... however, in their turn the Blight Drones move away and the remaining Scouts are shot to pieces. The Plague Marines disembark their Rhino (which moves to the far board edge) and march on the central Objective. Having absorbed some DG firepower, the Poxwalkers, Cultists, and Hauler charge the Drop Pod and leave it on one wound...

gallery_62972_9890_184825.jpg

T3 sees the Captain get a charge off on the Blight Drone but thanks to it's 5+++ it survives two rounds of being whacked by a relic blade with Artisan of War (yes, it's one of those games). The Lascannons finally manage a hit but the damage is saved by the 5+++... The Command Squad and Chaplain get a charge off on the Poxwalkers and Hauler, the Priest engages what's left of the Cultists after shooting . Whilst Poxwalkers dies in their droves to mass chainswords, the Chaplain fails to dispatch the Hauler and little happens with the Priest's chainsword. Unsuprisingly, the Drop Pod is wrecked.
The Crawler rains death on the lascannons, the Captain in gunned down and it's target floats off (Slay the Warlord) and the stormshield Veteran dies in combat. On my side, more Poxwalkers are slain leaving two left. One of the Blight Drones charges and does little...

gallery_62972_9890_207085.jpg

... however, I get my revenge in T4 by finishing one of them off and the remaining Poxwalkers. Yay. It's pretty much the end of the game here so I concede. I have two Veterans and a Priest (who can't kill the Cultists with his power weapon 0.o) left alive.

gallery_62972_9890_262443.jpg

Post-Morten

Captain – Warlord

• One of those days, however, I am tempted to swap him out for a Lieutenant (will I miss the ++ though?). Perhaps I can try a different set of weapons? Oh, and if I want to use Orbital Bombardment (which is fluffy and cool imo) then I need to familiarise myself with it.

Chaplain

• Just a bolter today and did nothing of note bar his buff. To bench, or not bench, that is the question.

Command Squad

• A bit better here, the storm shield helped matters and the amount of attacks then generate in combat is fantastic. Need to settle on a suitable combi-weapon set as this is my main second wave(!)

Deathstorm Drop Pod

• Felt like a waste of 160 points tbh. I could have tried the alternative (the missiles) but with a BS4 and low shots I opted for the dakka. Range is short (12" which didn't matter here but I may have played it wrong...

Choppy Scout Squad; Shotgun Scout Squad; Bolter Scout Squad; Sniper Scout Squad

• Going to sum all these up in one: I think I'm getting the balance right with their numbers but I really need to work out how to use them as I keep throwingthem away. I can't attack piecemeal, I need to do a refused flank with the lot of them. Of something.

Two Tarantulas

• Assault cannons didn't do much of note which was annoying as I had high expectations (I suppose it absorbed some fire though). The lascannons I rely on too much and it was one of those days for them

Sanguinary Priest

• Nothing of note, tempted to bench. Was here so I could get that extra CP.

Battalion + Vanguard 9 CP

• Basically, was the extra CP worth it? No idea really. The Veritas Vitae on my Captain yielded nothing either. If I drop back to a Battalion, where do the extra points go? More Scouts? :/
  • Mistakes have been covered earlier but I'm basically being too aggressive with this army. That said, I love chainswords and my Scout Sergeants are stars... Need to change a few things up though. Still got too many immobile units.
  • Point of note: I wish my DC still had their 5+++ The DG player kept rolling them and it reminded me of what I used to do in previous editions. DG are really tough at this level imo
  • I don't believe in luck; that said my dice were terrible this game (and the DG player's were hot). Just one of those things but if anyone wants to believe in curses, etc, this is the second time my BA dice have let me down. The first was when they had to roll for non BA stuff (Inquisitor, Assassins) and they responded by being awful to all units all game. This time, I was given a Welsh Open die at the start of the game and whilst I didn't use it, my BA dice were obviously offended! :laugh.:

• 2 weeks later...

Should have another battle report coming up later this week...

Anyway, you may have noticed there's an increase in the number of them of late. Basically I've joined a local group in a bit to get rid of my rust. They are a fairly laid back group but some of them rock hard lists as they regularly attend tournaments. From what I can tell, they have the following armies:

1. Dark Angels (Primaris); Death Guard; Necrons
  2. Death Guard; Ad Mech; GSC
  3. Ad Mech; Orks; Blood Angels
  4. Space Wolves; Orks
  5. Tau; Salamanders; EC; Eldar; Daemons
  6. Dark Eldar; Grey Knights
  7. Craftworld Eldar
  8. Thousand Sons; Space Wolves; Tyranids; Dark Angels
  9. Grey Knights; Deathwatch; Imperial Knights
  10. Necrons
  11. Necrons; Orks

... and I've only played the ones in red so far. Lots of new armies to experience and different play styles which can only be a good thing!

Could you explain why you are now hindered by mixing the claw and the Drill on the Leviathan? Think I may have missed something about this.

Just on points. Having two combat weapons of the same type is far cheaper than mixing them (in fact, it's the most expensive setup) and when you take into account that it's an expensive model to begin with, it can be a hindrance to fit it into most lists imo.

Battle Summary

Using my Troop spam – 2000 points Vs Thousand Sons

Armies
Blood Angels

Captain (Veritas)
Lieutenant (Angel's Wing)
Sanguinary Novitae
Librarian (jump)
Sanguinary Guard
Tartaros Terminators
Company Anceint
Two Devastator Squads
Three bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad
Tarantula (twinlas)
Bike Squad (and Attack Bike)
Attack Bike
Whirlwind

Brigade – extra relics and DvoS = 11 CP

Thousand Sons

Magnus
Renegade Knight
Ahriman
Helldrake
Deamon Prrince x2
Chaos Spawn x2
Rubrics x3
Cultists

Battalion 8 CP

Pregame

Mission is Relic (Eternal War, BRB). Beta rules are in play :/
Both Devastator Squads, foot Captain, foot Lieutenant, CompanyAncient, Sanguinary Novitae, and Terminators occupy the ruin in my deployment zone (with Smash and his Lieutenant just outside). Two bolter Scout Squads are on my right flank, with the lone Attack Bike and Whirlwind behind them. The choppy, shotgun, and final bolter Scout Squad end up being a speed bump in the centre as close to the Relic as possible. Finally my Tarantula is on the far left corner taking up a good firing lane (the Sanguinary Guard, Ancient, and Librarian are in reserve).
My opponent deploys far forward and pretty much in a line from my left to right: Helldrake -> Knight -> DP1 -> Spawn -> Cultists -> Rubrics1 -> DP2 -> Rubrics2 -> Ahriman -> Magnus -> Rubrics3
I lose first turn...

gallery_62972_9890_480255.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_580613.jpg

gallery_62972_9890_142577.jpg

The game

The Helldrake made a beeline for the Tarantula and roasted it alive. Pretty much everything else bar Rubric3 (which was in a ruin opposite my bolter Scouts) moved forwards and the spells were suitably devastating (bar Warptime on Magnus) with Scout Squads evaporating to Smite in the centre. By the end of that and the shooting phase I'd lost four Scout Squads, three Terminators and my main command had taken damage: Smash had lost two wounds (and his ++ !!) and the Lieutenant had lost thee... then Magnus charged. Splitting his attacks he munched the Lieutenant and Smash. It was here I played my trump cards for Smash: Only in Death Does Duty End, Red Rampage, Vengeance for Sanguinius – after I'd finished rolling that was five wounds doing four damage each, enough to instagib Magnus outright...

... however, he rolled all his 3++ and consolidated into my bikes :facepalm:
I could see where this was going so opted for a moral victory. The bikes fell back from combat blocked access to my support staff and everything unloaded on Magnus (that wasn't shooting elsewhere – the remaining Scouts did little but the missile launcher did five mortal wounds on the Helldrake). The heavy bolter did five mortal wounds and the plasma cannons chipped in along with some small arms fire to take eight or so wounds off total – enough to get him down into the first bracket. In the meantime the Novitae had revived a Terminator and the three of them now charged Magnus to take off another three wounds before being dispatched. Both Squads of bolter Scouts got into combat with their quarry and there they remained until the end of the game...

gallery_62972_9890_106791.jpg

T2 continued the same way as the first. Everything moved that could: The Helldrake went after and flamed the Captain (who survived), the Spawn ate the Novitae, DP1 was after some Devastators whilst DP2 went after the Whirlwind and Ahriman moved into range of Magnus again. Everything else moved forward with the Cultists occupying the Relic. Psychic tomfoolery and shooting wasn't as devastating this time with only a few wounds here and there, but with the Company Ancient hidden nearby to the remaining Troops, almost every death got a shot off against Magnus for another few wounds (the overcharged plasma cannons being a highlight). In combat Magnus slew the bikes and one squad of Devastators perished. The Captain continued to shrug off attacks. DP2 went after my tank and lost two wounds :laugh.:
In my phase my reserves arrived with everything converged on Magnus. What little shooting did nothing of note and both of my spells went off on the SG (Unleash Rage, Shield of Sanguinius) who charged Magnus along with the Librarian. After a hefty amount of attacks that again, potentially did enough to instagib him, all those pesky 3++ were made... However, things were going from bleak to dark. Company Ancient, Librarian, Captain perished, my lone Attack Bike died trying to take out Ahriman, and I was left with maybe 4/5 SG, their Ancient, a couple of Devastators and a couple of Scouts.

gallery_62972_9890_542826.jpg

... Who were promptly subjected to Smite multiple times and shot, and this ended the game in the third turn. As for Magnus? He survived the battle with one wound remaining.

gallery_62972_9890_493507.jpg

Post-morten

As you can see, I got a right tonking that game. However, I actually enjoyed it in many ways as it was a new player, new army, and it helped this list evolve further in its quest for perfection. Anyway...

• Having his ++ stripped hurt, but 5 wounds on a Primarch totally 20 damage? Happy with that even if it was saved. Messed up deployment though...

Captain (Veritas)

• It wasn't his buffs that was his plus point this game, but his resilience and the Veritas being AMAZING for a change. Seems like deploying with the Devastators is advantageous...

Lieutenant (Angel's Wing)

• Messed up deployment, got focused but at least acted as a bodyguard for the Captain (by complete accident I might add). Have to admit, I'm considering changing him for a Priest and/or giving Smash the relic.

Sanguinary Novitae

• Resurrected a Terminator but nothing else of note. May swap him out if I take a Priest or teleport the Terminators going forward

Librarian (jump)

• Did as well as expected, may try him on the board next time

• Nothing of note. May try him on the board next game

Sanguinary Guard

• Another "what if" against Magnus, but the game was already gone when they rocked up. May try them on the board...

Tartaros Terminators

• Forgot the grenade harness :dry.: No idea if they are better than normal ones but I may try teleporting them next time and using the re-rolls stratagem

Company Ancient

• Anecdotal, but totally worth his points this game. Rued not having a chainsword. Works well by the Devastators

Two Devastator Squads

• Cherub shenanigans worked well, as did the plasma cannons. Happy enough

Three bolter Scout Squad
Shotgun Scout Squad

• Nothing of note. Considering swapping two out for Tacticals...

Tarantula (twinlas)

• I've been playing it like a WHFB cannon and it died like one (i.e. it drew the flying unit away from the rest of the army). Perhaps it needs some chaff? Perhaps I can sprinkle the lascannons elsewhere?

Bike Squad (and Attack Bike)
Attack Bike

• Nothing of note for either. However, an Attack bike isn't very good on it's own when charging (I should know this too!)

Whirlwind

• Reckon I can bench it in favour of more Devastators. Didn't do much bar draw a Daemon Prince away. Armour of Contempt worked well against Smite though :smile.:

Brigade Detachment

• Keeping as I need the CP. Starting on eleven is OK (and great when the Veritas works) and with tweaks to the tax units I reckon I can make it work...
Edited by Jolemai