Rainbow Warriors - Casting! Casting!

Aqui

Take a bow son, take a bow.

The cold one looks superb painted dark like that.

Great work. You have had a busy day mate.

Thank you. My back an butt feel it as well. I decided to do it all in the kitchen as the light is better in there, and sat on a stool all day, so I ache all over sad.png

Oh well. It was worth it! happy.png

Really nice work on the Chappy! Particularly like the Aztec style crozius, and the under jaw bolters work much better than I'd pictured in my head.

Well done on the completed vow too!

Really nice work on the Chappy! Particularly like the Aztec style crozius, and the under jaw bolters work much better than I'd pictured in my head.

Well done on the completed vow too!

Thanks! happy.png

Once I decided the Undead head wasn't going to work, it struck me that it would serve far better hitting the enemy laugh.png

The bolters are a "phew!" moment. I really wasn't sure it was going to work. I'm just glad it did! Whilst I enjoyed that particular kit bash, I doubt I'll be doing another Cold one counts as bike any time soon. Was a pain in the butt getting everything to fit and stay together! blink.pnglaugh.png

The cold one looks really good. The weathering on the Gold mutes it nicely.

Ive got to get mine done!

Thanks! happy.png

You're doing a 40k version, or a regular WHF one? I'd love to see it in any case happy.png

Nice work mate smile.png

Thanks! happy.png

Well, after the weekend that was the Ultrameet (if anyone who hasn't been to Warhammer World and is able to, then DO so! Well recommended. Just ensure that you sell your soul/children/significant other/organs when you do, as there is far too much stuff to resist buying!), I've hammered out a list, which is now my Third Vow. I wanted to add 2 five Marine or 1 ten Marine Sternguard to that list, a Thunderfire Cannon and a lot of other stuff, but it was going to cost a little too much money wise in one go and frankly I need to be able to afford to eat etc laugh.png Hopefully, if I can get this vow done in time I can at least consider it for the fourth. In any case, you will see them sooner than later.

I've also ordered some A4 (Letter size for non UK readers smile.png ) Decal paper today (one clear, one white), so I will finally have consistent Chapter symbols! happy.png I just need to find that spray many use to "fix" the injet ink before I apply them (I know that they did sell it at the local Hobbycraft). I also intend on finding out whether or not the "Old School" Decals from waaaaaay back still work. The Chapter Symbols are in black, but will be most suitable for the Storm Talon and Razorback smile.png

I'm really looking forward to this one, as many of the models will to a lesser or greater degree have been converted. I've had a real taste for kitbashing in the last few months and the feeling of a kitbash that goes the way you expect (or better) is something else! smile.png

I would have done some painting today, but it took a lot more time to finalise the vow than I thought. Still, I have four or so days left before returning to work, so I intend to make the most of them! happy.png

I heard the so called honorable- - - - - did not do so well verymad.gif .

Honoured Brother G'Urg did very well in the last game. It was Venerable Dreadnought Nishrai (Steel Wings Founding Chapter Master) who didn't do well laugh.png

Oh well!

I noticed this topic has had just over 8k views! blink.png Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to have a look!

Speaking of thank yous - I made a promise that I would name my Storm Talon after a certain Frater. The Storm Talon was going to be a Steel Wing one, but has since been made a Rainbow Warrior one (see below). However, I have honoured my promise, so without further ado I'll introduce Perca Fluctus (Basswave)!

At the basecoat stage:

gallery_51296_6652_361720.jpg

At the details stage:

gallery_51296_6652_24620.jpg

I wonder what that means? happy.png:

gallery_51296_6652_8197.jpg

With highlights (which was a pain in the censored.gif !):

gallery_51296_6652_138254.jpg

The other side:

gallery_51296_6652_3517.jpg

I had tried to paint the canopy so that you could see through it, but at the undercoat stage, it went everywhere it shouldn't have, despite thoroughly marking off and taping the areas to be left paint free. In the end I figured that I could paint it in Fourth Company's colours instead (who needs to be able to see when flying huh? Hugely over rated! laugh.png )

Up next, the Lysander counts as:

gallery_51296_6652_327656.jpg

gallery_51296_6652_32114.jpg

I'll be "Aztec-ifying" him somehow, just haven't worked out how yet! laugh.png

I've also started work on the Razorback, but I seriously cut my left middle finger. It's in a large plaster at the moment, but if it doesn't look like it'll stay closed, I'll get myself down to the walk in centre tomorrow (the thought of having to wait for 3 or so hours to be told that there's "nothing wrong makes me come out both in a cold sweat and rage dry.png )

Anyhoo, I'll be dunking the Company banner bearer and the remaining Devastator squad later. They should be ready to strip off in a day or so. Just have the Librarian to make a start on!

Talon's good, I like the pose for the Lysander too. Maybe you could add some Aztec bling to the shield or a different head for the hammer to make him more RW-ish? Or something on the top of his armour above his head? You could even paint the points that stick out on the shield decoration in the colours of the rainbow?

Sorry about the finger, try super gluing it together!

Talon's good, I like the pose for the Lysander too. Maybe you could add some Aztec bling to the shield or a different head for the hammer to make him more RW-ish? Or something on the top of his armour above his head? You could even paint the points that stick out on the shield decoration in the colours of the rainbow?

Sorry about the finger, try super gluing it together!

I chose the shield as it has a spiky sun feel to it (fairly Aztec smile.png ) I wanted to gs something that would make him more Rainbow Warrior than Imperial Fist, but glyphs are a little beyond me at the moment. I could try sculpting a skull or a necklace of teeth (or something similar). I'll have to google again and see what I can come up with.

As for the finger, well, Super glue was designed and used in/For Vietnam, so that Soldiers had a chance of making it to a field hospital, so I'll live laugh.png It doesn't hurt so much as the plaster is too big for me to do anything with. Typing this is bit of a chore as I'm a fairly good touch typist, but I have to stop/slow down when that finger would be used.

Oh well laugh.png

Its been a while since I look at your work. Congrats on finishing your first vow! :) That storm talon is especially good looking although I may be biased :P Btw, what does it say on the tail section? Gustare means enjoy, but I'm having trouble as to what the other word is.

Its been a while since I look at your work. Congrats on finishing your first vow! smile.png That storm talon is especially good looking although I may be biased tongue.png Btw, what does it say on the tail section? Gustare means enjoy, but I'm having trouble as to what the other word is.

Thanks smile.png My third vow has been a little more slow as I've had other things to do. Still, I have tomorrow to go before I go back to work after a week off, so I'll hopefully get a lot of the Razorback done happy.png

The tail has the words "Gustaret Iridit!" ("Taste the Rainbow!" - good ol' google translate! I doubt that it's all that accurate though) laugh.png

I have since added a rainbow effect to the tail. I had painted it one in stripes, but most of the colours went funny and I had to paint over it. However, once the blue was back on, I decided to try again, but dry brushing it on instead. Looks a lot better, but still quite dark. I was thinking of trying again on the Rhino doors for the Razor back.

In other news, I had my decal sheets arrive today. I ordered one sheet of A4 (US Letter is nearest equivalent, although sizes are slightly different) of white and clear. I intend at some point in adding decals to every model, but I'll probably leave that until after ETL. Once I've done a few, you can be sure I'll add pictures and comments on how I found the process from start to finish smile.png

I also got basing sand from GW so that I can make the minis stand out a little more. I've gone for the plain sand, as I was thinking of making the sand a different colour so I can keep tabs on what unit each mini belongs to. Again, that won't be for a while, unless I get ahead with what I need to do for ETL.

I'm just waiting for one of the bitz sites I use to hurry up and restock - The assault squad I bought along with spares has left me with 10+ torsos, heads and nearly enough back packs to do a 10 ten Marine Stern guard unit (or two five Marine). I'm not sure, but I want to get a fourth vow in before the end, but that requires me to get the third done in less than two weeks and for the bitz site to replen around the end of this month so I have time for it!

We'll see! smile.png

One thing anyone who looks in might be able to help me with. The afore mentioned Razorback will on occasion be used as a regular Rhino. On those occasions, I intend to use it as the HQ Rhino. I was wondering what others do to make it stand out paint job wise? Back in the day HQ Rhinos were marked out with a symbol not unlike the Terminator one (a stylised + sign) at least they were in EPIC scale. Do people still do that? I was thinking of really trying harder with free hand and painting on the Chapter symbol, but with extra flourishes. The Company my Marines are in is Fourth so, there'll be green in there somewhere!

If anyone has ideas, I'd be grateful if you'd share them! happy.png

If I might be so bold, perhaps you could paint rainbow stripes across the top side of the Stormtalon's wings? It just looks a bit boring at the moment, aside from the bits of colourful language (dun dun-tish) adorning the nose and tail.

If I might be so bold, perhaps you could paint rainbow stripes across the top side of the Stormtalon's wings? It just looks a bit boring at the moment, aside from the bits of colourful language (dun dun-tish) adorning the nose and tail.

I have considered it, but I was going to put a couple of decals on the wings. I might apply them over the top of rainbow stripes. I think it would be better to drybrush them on, than paint them, but I want to practice it first.

In other news, the final Devastator squad and the Company banner Bearer are currently being stripped. I did intend on doing them a few days ago, but I forgot dry.png Hopefully, they shouldn't take too long.

I've also printed the Decals for the army, just waiting for the sealant to set before trying one. I'm just wondering what style of squad markings to use, as there are a fair few styles in the downloads section of B+C.

• 4 weeks later...

Completion of my third and final vow. I've thought about it and I simply haven't enough time to make another. It's also rather busy for me - I have contributions to the Liber project that I want to concentrate on, I have four stories I haven't written anything for for weeks, and there's the usual mundane stuff I have to do dry.png

In this Challenge alone, I've painted 1800 points! I'll have to tally up what the total is for the whole army at some point!

Anyway:

WIP for Devastator squad:

gallery_51296_6652_110999.jpg

Devastator squad:

gallery_51296_6652_330980.jpg

Command squad, Counts as Lysander and Chief Librarian Eh'Tor:

gallery_51296_6652_308721.jpg

Las/Plas Razorback mode:

gallery_51296_6652_380207.jpg

Rhino mode:

gallery_51296_6652_253131.jpg

The pictures aren't very good sad.png but I've added a rainbow effect to the front right of the RB/Rhino happy.png Doesn't stand out as much as I'd have liked, but the blasted camera phone isn't good at pictures like that. I'll have to find out my proper camera at some point. I also made my first ham fisted attempt at OSL on the Plas. Not sure if it counts as OSL, but I'm happy enough with the...effect laugh.png

In the near future, I'll do a group shot of everything I have. That'll be after I've based them properly (I have the GW sand basing kit)

After that, I'll be stepping away from them for a while, at least regarding painting etc. I'll be playing them every chance I'll get, but I want to start a new army and build up my Steel Wings to around 2.5k points. Needless to say that I'm still aiming for the entire Fourth Company happy.png but I want a change to break up the endless dark blue and helmet stripes! blink.pnglaugh.png

I have a couple of ideas as to which Chapter it'll be, but I'm not saying who they are for now.

All I can say is this. They are another Official Chapter. msn-wink.gif

Thanks for looking!

They look smashing Brother.Rhino/raz:tu: thumbsup.gif .side note added another RW to the sqd I painted up.

Thanks! happy.png I'm really glad how everything has turned out. There are a few things I'd have done differently, but overall, I look at them and I'm glad I've stuck with them happy.png Total points value amounts to 2115 points. The army has four HQ's laugh.png but after a brief hiatus with another army, I'll carry on and finish the Fourth Company.

Looking forward to seeing the new addition! thumbsup.gif

Thanks and congrats on your vows thumbsup.gif . Oh and how did you do the plasma/las combo?

Quite easy smile.png

Bitz:

Razorback Weapon mount.

One Heavy Las from the RB kit

Plasma weapon from the Dreadnought kit.

Select which side you want the Plas and select the opposite Las. Glue them both together (ensuring that they are level, that Mount fits the Las and the armour section fits over the top. Glue armour section and fit the Las to the Mount. Simple as that smile.png

Archived