new codex

jester262

What would be really cool for the Bloodclaws would be to drop their cost to 12, and if they want bolters they cost 15.

I would also like a flyer to be able to field heroes like Jornmundanar (or something like that) from The Blood of Asaheim.

Also to make it clear that Space Wolves dont like teleporting, but flying, jumppacks etc are used without any issues as long as they get the job done.

HQ command squad sounds too much like codex astartes, Space Wolves run in packs: keep it like that.

Heroes should be cheaper or way more potent.

Okay there are a few things that I would like to see as well.

Wolf Lords-One small question and then I will be off, Why does it seem that between the DOA from Blood Angels and the Chapter Tactics/Orbital Bombardment of the Codex Chapters we may have had our Jarls overlooked.  I do not think the Thunder Lord option is a good  trade off.

Rune Priests-While I really REALLY love them, they are too easy to take/abuse/spam.  I would like to see them have a wider variety of weapon choices, not as great a Lord or Battle Leader.

Wolf Priests-I would like to see them get options to provide different bonuses, as they choose to be Flesh Weavers or Battle Leaders.

Battle Leaders- I am good with them as they are.

Speaking of wolf guard....can we please give them the Wolf Standards, with different ablities, there by limiting their numbers.  I wouldn't mind giving the pack leaders similar ablities as the current Wolf Standard for an appropriate cost.

Scouts-for being the Route's in house veteran stealth killers they don't quite seem to measure up.

Veteran Dreadnaughts I agree that they should be allowed to take sagas. I would also like to see the ironclad varaint.

Iron Priest....Man where to begin.  I think that there needs to be a serious discussion about where they need to be, what their options should be.

Grey Hunters-  I like them, but they are just a little too good with the options that they have access to.  I would like to see them change a little, the Wolf Standard is a little too potent.  I intensely dislike the fact that it seems these tend to be the allies of choice with an accompanying rune priest.

Blood Claws- Please do something with them, point changes, different weapon options access to Wolf Bitten something to make them more desirable.

Thunder Wolf Cav- Soo we have what are considered to be Jarl Guard riding giant wolves....I would like to see some other options. 

I would like an air option that isn't wolfed out to the max....

I agree by and large. Mainly about the Wolf Priests. I can see someone being able to upgrade the Wolf Priest to Flesh Weaver and giving the unit FnP instead of Preferred Enemy. It just seems that the Wolf Priest combines the role of Apothecary and Chaplin, while still being just a Chaplin. 

Blood Claws should be able to go up to 20-man units remniscent of the Chaos Marine squads, and perhaps even be cheaper. 

The Cavalry I'd like to see have more options, so that their tactics aren't so cut-n-dry. THey are wolf guard; give them access to the Wolf Guard equipment, with the bonus in leadership.

I like my Wolf Lord as is, but I'd also like to see him have more wide-scope abilities. The Rune Priest can cast divination, and block psychic powers. The Wolf Priest is fearless, gives preferred enemy and can get Saga of the Hunter. The Wolf Lord... hits things. Really hard. Repeatedly. Maybe sagas that only Lords can get that give themselves AND their packs a bonus, like how Grimnar can give his pack a different bonus per round, only make the Saga give just the one bonus. 

Rune Priests I'd like to see have better SW powers that I'd seriously consider instead of Divination. Right now, only Jaws of the World Wolf and Living Lightning hold any appeal for me. 

I disagree that Battle Leaders are fine. They are good when you want a cheap HQ to lead TWC, but little besides. 30 points cheaper isn't much when you consider you lose 1 WS, 1 Wound (!), 1 Attack and 1 Ld. 

In general, I'd like them to take the wolf thing a bit back. We are superhuman viking warriors in space that like wolves, yes, but we don't need the word on every single page. 

Sure glad Santa doesn't hang out on the B&C, because with this list no other kids would be getting anything for Christmas!

That's assuming you've all been good pups this year. whistlingW.gif

And that no one would shoot Santa's sleigh down in a vindictive rage...using those nifty flyers we all got. teehee.gif

Oh yeah for the only other chapter worthy of insulting I really do hope that the Black Templars remain independant from the Vanilla Marin codex. 

Honestly I want to see a return to the Index Astartes, give the founding Legions and the more unique chapters their own moment in the sun. 

Wulfen, yes please.  Cheaper named HQ's, bring it.  Balanced points for our termies, especially a reasonable hammer/shield cost, absolutely.

Our codex is balanced, I just want to see some cool new toys to really mix up my army.  I think we're still competitive, just not game breaking (like GW) and I'd love to see us never go that way!

Looks like I'll have to actually read BOLS every now and then again.

I've been thinking about this.... SW are a really good book. They're at a power level where things should aim to be. Not broken, not redundant. Some of the units works a bit too well for their cost. Some are just far too undesirable against other options.

Runic Weapon dispell is probably going to go. Which is a shame. We'll have to see how badly Runes of Warding gets nerfed to see the studio's visions on psychic defence. At least they will get a point decrease!

WGBL need to drop down to 60pts

Wolf Lords are fine as they are. Maybe some unit buffing Sagas would be nice.

FROST AXES! Make them S+1, AP2, strikes at initiative for 25pts. That's a fair trade. Frost sword S+1 AP3 at initiative for 20pts. Wolf Claws 15pts. The re-roll to hit is not that superior to re-roll to wound. Price a pair of Wolf Claws appropriately. 40pts is just ludicrous.

Scouts I'd like to see get access to 2 special ranged weapons. They'd be a dangerous threat.

Grey Hunters just need to pay for their 2nd special weapon and make Wolf Banners 15pts and they're absolutely fine as is.

Blood Claws need to drop down to 13pts and get 1 Special CCW per 5models. They work perfectly otherwise, the Headstrong mechanic is awesome.

Buff Swift Claws to WS & BS 4 because they are just a waste of points now. Keep them at the points they already are. 5pts is enough to pay for the extra Counter Attack and Rage rules.

Make Skyclaws 16pts, allow the pack to take 2 special CCWs per 5 models.

I don't want to see any other giant wolves anywhere. Please stop. No more.

Give them a unique StormRaven variant. Fighters/Bombers suck.

Long Fangs need to have their weapon upgrades priced up by 2-5pts each, fine otherwise.

Bring all the other vehicles in line with the new SM books.

I'd love to see a 13th Co character who opens up Wulfen and modifies the list. I think everyone would love to see Wulfen units again. And the only way that makes sense is a 13th Co list. At the moment I've gotta ally in Blood Angels Death Company for them!

LLD, regarding Wolf Lords, the trade off from Chapter Tactics, DOA, etc. are our access to Sagas. Bear and Warriorborn are pretty darn cool.

V

I would like to see the reintroduction of the Leman Russ as an Armor option for Heavy Support, namesake and all.  As for the Wulfen, perhaps the 13th Company Rules are going to be reintroduced as well, perhaps possibly prodded along with all the HH stuff lately.  Rumors ARE just rumors anyway.

What I would REALLY like to see is the reintroduction of "Venerable" like it was in 4th Edition.  I think that REALLY took something away from the SW's that was truly unique.  I understand that other Chapters have ancient warriors as well, but Bjorn was once MAGNIFICENT but now seems much less so than he once was.  If GW could find a way to reconcile this and bring it back closer to the way it was in 4th, I'd be okay with it....maybe even happy depending on how they write it up.

I'm on the fence with Flying Units.  While I'd like to see a Landspeeder Storm to provide a deep strike option for our Scouts, I don't really see the SW's being big on "Aviation Assets".  With the Allies Rules in 6th, that seems to be mitigated for those wishing to have "what ALL the others get to play with".  Part of being a Space Wolf was that we were Astartes...but being so our own way.  Part of why I liked the Venerable rule the way it was....we were the ONLY ones with it.  Sure, different Chapters will have different emphisis to better suit their background and style, Bike Units for the Whit Scars as an example.  ALL Chapters are part of the same Imperium so access to things should be relatively universal with each homeworld producing what suits them most.  However, having EVERYTHING that EVERYBODY else does....why not just go UltraSmurf or Vanilla then?

Return our namesake Heavy Support and (fix/reconcile) Venerable (so that everyone can have it but that ours is "special" like it once was, as well).  Allow us a Landspeeder Storm rather than an outright prohibition.  We don't "need" Aviation Units as we can choose allies that can bring them....besides, the fur pelts draped on the outsides of the fuselage would burn off during atmospheric entry/deployment.

I'd only like to see Wulfen models if they do a full 13th Company Appendix list for the next codex; otherwise, I don't think full Wulfen are really fluff-appropriate for a standard Space Wolves army list. Allowing the Mark of the Wulfen as an option in the 5e codex is right on the mark, and should stay as it is, as an appropriate way to include those that are Wolf-bitten, but haven't lost themselves completely.

I'd like to see less QQ about giant wolves, and then turn around and beg for werewolf men.

The twc are on the mark. Their cost limits their quantity in an all-comers competitive list, which keeps them fluff-appropriate, because from the beginning, giant wolves have roamed Asaheim. And all the twc have been modeled by GW with bionic leg support, so the 2 ton marine sitting on them is no less appalling than anything else in 40k.

The MotW is on the mark. Wulfen are an aberration and removed quickly and quietly by Wolf Priests when they cannot control their inner wolf. To leave them is to risk exposing the chapter's flawed geneseed. So having one here and there is fluff-appropriate. Matter of fact, a good number of them are likely exterminated after the battle to limit exposure or he probably couldn't change back/calm down. An entire army of them... well, I for one want to play 40k, not field an army of werewolves circa warhammer fantasy.

As far as flyers go, I'd much rather see us get a ground-based AA, but less "imperial" than your standard quadgun. Atleast we'd be more unique by NOT having a flyer. Not sure how fluffy it is, but I'd be keen on something EMP-esque. Like a proverbial lightning strike. Or something more technological than a spear launcher with a chain attached to pull the flyer down so the Wolves can tear its throat out. Maybe launch pylons into the ground that link to each other like a net and pulse when flyers get near... I dunno.. ramblings done.

Guest Drunk Guardian

Well, given that Acute Senses is basically free, it wouldn't be appropriate for it to be a substantial boon. As it stands, it is still there, helpful in specific circumstances, and still more or less fits the fluff. If it actually started making a real difference on the table-top then they'd have to start making up for that by increasing unit costs.

Be careful what you wish for.

V

I'm not sure that Acute Senses is free... Blood Angels get the Red Thirst and Codex: Astartes guided Marines get Combat Tactics... Acute Senses should absolutely be a unique defining trait for the Wolves.

I can't seem to find it now, but I created a thread soon after the 5e codex was released to discuss wishlist/tweaks/preferences, and I shared what I would have done differently had I been the codex designer at the time. I expect that 95% of what I proposed then is still exactly what I would wish for in a 6e codex. Now that I'm on my computer, vice iPhone, I'm going to see if I have any better luck with the search function, and I'll post in a link.

V

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Blood Claws should be WS/BS 4.  They should stay WS/BS3.  They just need a small point drop.  Personally I'd say 13 points a piece.  They should also only be able to get special melee weapons.  I like the Swiftclaw/Skyclaw variants and think they can probably be left as-is (maybe a minor price drop for Skyclaws).

Grey Hunters can be largely left alone, though a price bump to 15 points for the Wolf Standard would be nice.  Its an auto-include right now, and shouldn't be.

Wolf Guard . . .  The options are mostly awesome, but ammo options would be nice.  Its odd that one of the original Legions wouldn't have any of the old toys.  I completely disagree with the idea of a WG command squad.  Are you trying to just make us vanilla with better hair and a taste for ale?  Wolf Guard are awesome in that you can have a squad of guys and split some up to give direct leadership to your squads.  I wouldn't change that for anything!

Wolf Guard Battle Leader however needs Leadership 10.  I'd like to see a 0-1 limit on the Priests (at 2000 points you'd still be able to take 2 with split Force Org charts and I'd rather not see Rune Priests nerfed entirely).

Wolf Scouts need to be able to assault when they come on the board otherwise they aren't worth the Elite slot, even with OBEL (though I agree with their FAQ decision regarding OBEL; made no sense for an HQ to be operating behind enemy lines).

Dreadnought specific Sagas would be nice, but even with good Sagas they need to drop the point cost on Venerable Dreadnoughts slightly.  It is just too expensive and I don't think regular Dreadnoughts should be able to take Sagas.

It would be nice if Wolf Lords changed the Force Org chart in some way instead of being only good for the Assault Phase.  I'd also like to see the Initiative restored for our Priests, as they are damn useless in Challenges.  Some sort of Invulnerable Save would be nice for the Rune Priest, but I'll take that weakness given what they give.

Add Flakk Missles as an option to the normal Missile Launcher (I would not want it as an option for Cyclones or Typhoons) and add some sort of Skyfire + Interceptor munition option to the Whirilwind.  I don't really want to see a Flyer.  We fight on the ground, IMO.  I'll bend the rules with Land Speeders and Jump Infantry, but adding more and the lore that has been in place for 3-4 editions of the game is getting tossed out.  And before the 'realism' arguments: Space Marines are space invaders, meaning they have orbital superiority, meaning they own the airspace already.  Flyers are daft but since they are here to stay lets just get some ways to deal with them from the ground!

The only other thing is to tweak the prices on Plasma Pistols (they should be 10p for every army that can take them, 15 points is stupid expensive for a Pistol) and adjust the prices on Power Weapons/Frost Weapons (why take a Frost Axe on any model with multiple attacks when a Power Fist costs the same points usually?).  But now I'm getting into problems that are game wide and not Codex specific.

Anyways, I don't think we need a new Codex yet.  If they do update it I just hope it doesn't invalidate my entire collection, because then I'll basically be done with W40K since I can't afford to rebuy everything...

Archived