[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

I'm actually having trouble making lists at 1850 to 2000 points. I just can't seem to build a solid force for some reason. Mechanized leads to a very compact but mediocre army if I don't put in a unit of Immortals or Gorgons or Sky Hunters to provide some punch. I'm considering using the Cortex Controller option on the Forgemaster Consul to bring in some Castellax or Thallaxi to give an alternate punch and let me get the rest of the army's building blocks in order.

Seriously, Paragon of Metal + a Forgemaster hugging it's leg ( battlesmith can restore Cybernetica wounds! ) is, on paper, ridiculously unkillable.

The problem is that the Forgemaster cannot join the Castellax. So  he either needs a bodyguard or to hide really well to survive.

Repair is a great thing, but it doesn't save you from focused fire. That 3+ save makes them great targets for missile launchers.

I`ll post my 1,500 and 1850 lists when I get home.

Edited by Wolf_Pack

LORD OF WAR
Ferrus Manus - 455
* Forgebreaker
* Head of the Gorgon
(Because of course)

HQ
Castrmen Orth - 80
(Sits in one of the Sicarans)

TROOPS
Legion Tactical Squad - 285
* 20 strong
* Vexilla
* Power axe
* Artificer armour
* Melta-bombs
(This'll be the Tactical Squad that ventures forward a bit more, so it's got more gubbins to try and handle everything it needs to)

Legion Tactical Squad - 260
* 20 strong
* Vexilla
(Sits in the deployment zone enjoying Stubborn and cover saves)

Legion Siege Breacher Squad - 385
* 20 strong
* Four volkite chargers
* Vexilla
* Power fist
* Artificer armour
(These guys will be tasked with taking the objective where the most enemy attention would be, thanks to their massive array of saves and rules helping survival)

ELITES
Gorgon Terminators - 280
* 7 strong
* Chainfist
Spartan Assault Tank - 340
* Heavy flamer
* Flare shield
* Armoured ceramite
(Ferrus' bodyguard, and an excuse for a Spartan. Most likely going to outflank because I can, and send them after whatever needs its head kicked the hardest)

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon - 195
* Contemptor Dreadnought
* Plasma blaster
* Multi-melta
(It's a Dreadnought in a Ferrus list, it just has to be there)

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought - 185
* Twin lascannons

Contemptor-Mortis Dreadnought - 185
* Twin lascannons
(These two for any potential anti-air and to add in another bunch of super-accurate lascannons. Plus MOAR DREADZ)

HEAVY SUPPORT
Sicaran Battle Tank - 175
* Lascannon sponsons

Sicaran Battle Tank - 175
* Lascannon sponsons
(Possibly the best medium tank around, so a pair had to happen. As was said, one'll have Orth to gain his big boosts)

Couple of things to note:
1- I wrote this before changing my 1k list, so there's some hangovers (such as the Breachers' volkites).
2- Stuff could easily be changed if someone wants to adapt this for their own nefarious purposes.
3- I like chocolate milk.
Edited by Raktra

Legion Consul Types - Part 2 

Chaplain

The best melee force multiplier consul. The Chaplain is a solid choice to make your Gorgons shine when the going gets tough.  He will not contribute to enhancing our legions strengths, but he diminishes one of our weaknesses. 

Pros

- Best melee support option due to Zealot

- Diminishes our weakness

- Compulsory HQ

Cons

-Does not improve our overall strengths

Librarian

Membre of the Librarius, the librarian can be a destructive force on the battle field. Although the X legion does not have a librarius department ( Ferrus's disdain for the fickleness of psykers is know) and supports the edict of Nikeae, it is still possible to bring one to the battle field. They can be potent force multipliers for your army, but also come with the unreliabilty of the warp.

Pros

- Spyker Denfense

- Potential force multiplier

- Force Weapons

Cons

- Very unfluffy for us

- Unreliable nature of the Warp

- Non compulsory HQ

Vigilator

Access to scout and infiltrate is a great asset for any legion. For us, it's a great way to reposition units for firing lanes or simple drop a suprise after standard deployment. Sabotage might look weak on paper, but it can grant you first blood before the game even begins. Comes stock with the sniper rule. His downfall is his weak armor in order to gain infiltrate.

Pros

- Grants Scout or infiltrate

- Special ammo and sniper

- Sabotage!

Cons

- Fragile due to armour restrictions

- Operates from the front line

Legion Champion

The legion champion had tons of potential to have an impact on the battlefield, but unfortunately he doesn't quite cut it. Somewhere about another consuls and under special characters in terms of combat prowess, the Champion simply doesn't bring anything other than a spiffy challenge machine to the table.

Pros

- Best type for headhunting

- Access to mastercraft and full array of close combat weapons

Cons

- one dimensional

- cannot compete with special characters

More to come later...

Orth. I love Mor as well, but come on. 80pts to turn a decent-strength vehicle (Sicaran) into almost God-tier, whilst being cheaper than a regular Centurion with equivalent wargear and surviving the tank's destruction is just a win for me.

Hmmm.. I don't know. 80 points for Tank Hunters and BS5 seems...eh. Admittedly I have not fielded Orth yet.

That being said, how does Ferrus fare? 455 pounts seems rather pricy. In my 3000 list with 7 IWND vehicles I still wonder at his points efficiently.

Hmmm.. I don't know. 80 points for Tank Hunters and BS5 seems...eh. Admittedly I have not fielded Orth yet.

That being said, how does Ferrus fare? 455 pounts seems rather pricy. In my 3000 list with 7 IWND vehicles I still wonder at his points efficiently.

But it's 80 pts for tank hunter, BS5 (which in a lascannon sicarian is beast) and his a compulsory HQ in an AV13 ride that he survives the destruction of. I use him every game and never lost him.

While I finish my Special Characters post, here is my 1,500 points list for those who struggle to build at lower points levels.

Hq

Castermen Orth

Troops

20 man tactical

Sergeant - Artificer armour, melta bombs

Apothecary - artificer armour, augury scanner

20 man breacher squad

Sergeant - artificer armour, melta bombs, power fist

Apothecary - artificer armour, augury scanner

Elites

Contemptor Dreadnought

Double Kheress assault cannons, Havoc Launcher

Heavy Support

This is a Spartan!

Quad lascannons, pintle heavy bolter armoured ceramite

Sicaran Battletank, also known as the Orth Mobile.

Sponson heavy bolters

There a few things you can do with this list. The breachers embark in the spartan and act as either a bully or counter assault mobile reserve.

This list has a suprising amount of Dakka, so it can even throw down against pride of the legion lists. Basically you make a methodical advance while you crush your enemies with withering fire.

options and customization

Orth is here to provide a cheap HQ choice and enhance the sicaran's armour killing power. You can replace him with a cheap forgelord, and can find additional points by downgrading the breachers to a tactical. If your meta has lots of killy characters and meatgrinder lists, you can keep the breacher, remove the sicaran and Orth in Favour of a Forge Lord Praetor. That's right, I said it. A Mother Flippin Praetor at 1,500 points.

Why? Well you can kit out a praetor or take Autek Mor and effectively out muscle the opposition. With digital weapons and a servo, you van whip out as many attacks as anyone else (in most cases, more) and just as durable of not more and everyone else. 3++ and FnP will foil some battle plans. You can do this with a forgelord + thunder hammer as well if you don't need praetor level stats.

This is not an all comers solution, but it will stop your opponents dead in their tracks if they planned on rolling through.

Another option with downgrading the breacher is to buy a rapier battery. Theu are just great all around fire support if you are playing against the shootier armies and do not need the added resilience of the breachers.

Heya Peeps,

IV legion here,got a question if it's in a wrong thread please feel free to delete it.

Any recommendations on X legion's novel? I have only read Riven and it gives quite a good perspective on the X.

Currently what I know for Iron Hands came from other novels e.a Vulkan Lives,Scorched Earth,Angel Exterminatus.

Is there a novel that specialize solely on the X? like Angel Exterminatus for the IV and Vulkan Lives for the Salamanders

Anyone got any tips for building a terminator heavy force led by an Iron Father?

Reading Massacre/Damnation of Pythos/Seventh Serpent has made me want to (re)start Iron Hands but I've no idea where to start.

Do I go Pride of the Legion?

Do I go stock Iron Father or Autek Mor?

Edited by keith