E Company of the 7th Levalloisian Life guards WIP

our_baz
Go to solution Solved by our_baz,

Well done there, models are looking great. Look forward to seeing how you balance off the grey.

That is going to be the challenge, there is going to be sooo much silver! I did initially run with the idea of having the carapace red, but went off that idea as I basically want them to be much larger versions of my cadian based life guards.

Right some progress. Skin and carapace done. Might add some chipping in the armour. Gone for a grubby looking armour rather than the usual shine the cadians have. And also made the tank track corroded and rusty. Thought as always welcome

gallery_72518_9307_506752.jpg

Edited by our_baz

Thanks scats. Going two tone red on shield. Dark outside and usual bright on the inner. Going to keep the boots simple, boltgun, nuil oil highlight. Looking at model again not happy with face

Its looking good 

If you are going for rust it might be worth hitting the tank track with some sponged on orange followed by steel legion drab or a dark brown. Then give it all a good wash in devlin mud before picking out the highlights. That will really give it an old rusty look

Its looking good

If you are going for rust it might be worth hitting the tank track with some sponged on orange followed by steel legion drab or a dark brown. Then give it all a good wash in devlin mud before picking out the highlights. That will really give it an old rusty look

I'll try get a close up on the track at lunch. I've already gone over boltgun, with typhus then dry brushed ryza rust. I was going to drybrush chainmail to finish. Would you give it a further dry brush with ryza, followed by a brown then metal highlight in that case?

Its looking good

I'll try get a close up on the track at lunch. I've already gone over boltgun, with typhus then dry brushed ryza rust. I was going to drybrush chainmail to finish. Would you give it a further dry brush with ryza, followed by a brown then metal highlight in that case?

Have a look at post #382 in this thread of mine http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/267884-ultramarines-1st-company-project/page-16

Thats how I do rust and it works really well. You can see Ive built it up from the under layer of brown and orange. You can acheive the same effect with sponging it on so if you want a really rusty look Id hit it with more brown and orange as the photos make it look gold at the moment. It still looks good colour wise though. 

Definitely looking good!  I still struggle with lighting for my WIP pics too; it's amazing how much difference natural light can make.  Really feeling like a good wash will help bring out the red on the shield a bit; you can use a brown wash if you want, but a red wash will make it "shine" more.  Depends on the finish you prefer!

Update: Drybrushed first layer of white to give creases' on the pants. I've also changed my colour for the skin thought the skin on the bullgryn had transitions that were too harsh. So put down a base of bugmans, then gone over that with a couple of layers of dwarf flesh. Will prob need one more before I give it a wash with agrax. Thoughts welcome

gallery_72518_9307_1065682.jpg

Small progress over the long weekend and tonight. The eternal struggle with red and white continues, the white is down as its the base red started bright red on bone 'ead as well. Not my neatest work will require major touching up before ready for the regiment.

gallery_72518_9307_515423.jpg

Edited by our_baz

No photo update tonight. Enjoying painting these models, not enjoying painting red!!!! Red is done on the bone 'ead, the other three are at various stages coats of red, is it just me or does it usually take 4-5 coats to get a nice flat finish? Tempted to crack open a new bottle of evil suns Scarlett over the old blood red I'm using. Is the colour any different?

I tend to find GWS's reds need a few coats to get good coverage. Think it's the lack of cadmium in the paint. Some red acrylics that have really good coverage will come with a warning not to use in an airbrush. This will be down to cadmium content which is highly toxic.

I tend to find GWS's reds need a few coats to get good coverage. Think it's the lack of cadmium in the paint. Some red acrylics that have really good coverage will come with a warning not to use in an airbrush. This will be down to cadmium content which is highly toxic.

Will have to adopt a zen like approach to my red coverage then. I doubt the wife would be too happy if I start bringing various cadmium complexes home from work to design an improved blend for my blood red in the garage.

• 3 weeks later...

As a novelty been given grace to paint during daylight hours! Started work on commissar. Most of the spent shading knator blue to a navy(ish) blue.

gallery_72518_9307_116853.jpg

Will add some decent photos to this thread of completed ogryn squad once I can get the DSLR out for some daylight shooting.