Introduction

This list has evolved from my 1250 list and is simply a way of including new toys. Essentially it will play the same. As usual, a list of alternatives and my opponents can be found on my Blog.

List

Primary Detachment

Astorath

Death Company (6)
~ Jump Packs
~ Bolt Pistol and Power Sword (1)
~ Bolt Pistol and Chainsword (2)
~ Bolter and Power Fist (1)
~ Bolter (2)

Death Company (6)
~ Bolt Pistol and Power Axe (1)
~ Bolt Pistol and Power Sword (1)
~ Bolt Pistol and Chainsword (1)
~ Bolter (3)
~ Razorback
~~ Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Death Company Dreadnought
~ Blood Talons
~ Magna Grapple
~ Heavy Flamer

Assault Squad (6)
~ Flamer
~ Melta Bomb
~ Razorback
~~ Lascannon & Twin-linked Plasma Gun
~~ Searchlight

Attack Bike Squadron (2)
~ Multi Melta (2)

Predator Destructor
~ Lascannon Sponsons
~ Searchlight

Stormraven Gunship
~ Twin-linked Multi Melta
~ Twin-linked Assault Cannon
~ Hurricane Bolters

Allied Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Tactics

In theory, this plays like the 1250 list. The Knight and the Predator lead the charge, with the Razorbacks and the jumping Death Company using them as cover. The Attack Bikes stay close too, on the flanks.

The Death Company Dreadnought arrives with the Stormraven and I'll probably put the small Assault Squad into reserves for late game objective grabbing.

I do realise that having a squad of Death Company with jump packs is an inefficient use of points, but I don't have much choice really (the only other jump choices in my collection are Sanguinary Guard...).

Comments and criticisms welcomed as always.

Edited by Jolemai
Tags

• 1 month later...

Have to agree with knife - extra S5 attack on the charge and an extra attack in the enemy's assault phase too. Also too much pre-charge firepower will sometimes mean you fail your charge distance.

I suppose if you're podding your DC the extra shots and range may pay off. The extra overwatch shots argument is an empty one, as 10 x extra cc attacks hitting on 3s is better than 10x extra snap shots. Although AP - vs AP5 may swing the odds if you're lucky.

You don't subscribe to the "half and half" theory?

Not in these numbers and not for the jumpers. When you have about 10 DC it makes sense to mix in some bolters, but for smaller squads you need to maintain a critical number of attacks. 

Fair enough. I might keep them on the Razor-bound squad though as they can't charge the turn they disembark anyway. At least the Bolter chaps can be nearest to take the wounds first...

Cheers for the replies folks.

• 6 months later...

Here's what I run with my DC list.

+++ The Screaming Death (1499pts) +++

++ Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (Baal Strike Force) (1499pts) ++

+ HQ (290pts) +

Astorath, Redeemer of the Lost (165pts) [Warlord]

Chaplain (125pts) [bolt Pistol, Crozius Arcanum, Jump pack, Melta bombs, The Veritas Vitae]

+ Elites (579pts) +

Death Company Squad (193pts) [6x Bolt Pistol, 4x Chainsword, 6x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, Power Fist, Thunder Hammer]

Death Company Squad (193pts) [6x Bolt Pistol, 4x Chainsword, 6x Death Company Marine, Jump Pack, Power Fist, Thunder Hammer]

+ Troops (350pts) +

Cassor the Damned (140pts)

Raphen's Death Company (210pts)

+ Fast Attack (50pts) +

Drop Pod (50pts) [Deathwind Missile Launcher]

+ Heavy Support (230pts) +

Stormraven Gunship (230pts) [Hurricane Bolter Sponsons, Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked Multi-melta]

Cassor comes in in the pod, and the Stormraven flies empty.

It's not what you'd call mega competitive, but if it's a themed game you want, this list is hella fun to take over the board with.

It's fast, it hits like a sack of bricks and it's battleforged so it's legit in my game group.

Sadly it has an obscenely low model count for 1,500 points and it folds like paper to ap3 weapons. .

Edited by Bukimimaru

Thank you for posting this; it's always nice to see other people attempting a full DC army.

For the moment, I have yet to upgrade this list to be in line with our new Codex but with my 1250 list being jump DC, I think I'm going to lean towards this being a mounted DC force.

Having got the rules, I'll likely make use of Raphen's squad and Cassor one day despite them being un-optimised. How do they fare for you?

Not great, I'll be honest.

They are both pretty steeply priced and as you cant take/add anything to their loadouts they arnt ideal.

However, its not too terrible considering they take up the troop tax and despite being a touch overpriced, they really can get the job done.

Cassor stomping out of a drop pod is a monster. :)

It all depends on who you ply against really. Fortunatly my game group is happy to indulge my current fancey of playing themed/fluffy games, so I dont have to worry about playing a list like this against some bearedy unbound Knights list.

• 3 months later...

Finally got a game booked for this list, however, it is in dire need of an update to our current Codex! Each of my lists has a theme and this one will stay as a Death Company list, but will be mechanised as opposed to my jump DC list at 1250 points.

7th edition Codex update

1850, DC mech

Baal Strike Force

DC Tycho - no, really!

~ Warlord

Death Company (8)

~ Bolter and power fist (1)

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword (7)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolt pistol and power sword (1)

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword (3)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Razorback

~~ Lascannon and twin-linked plasma gun

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Razorback

~~ Twon-linked heavy bolter

Cassor the Damned

Scout Squad (5)

~ Camo Cloaks

~ Heavy bolter (1)

~ Sniper Rifle (3)

~ Bolter (1)

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Inferno pistol, grav pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank

~ Schism of Mars

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon

~ Twin-linked multi-melta

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts?

• Yes, I know that DC Tycho is a sub-optimal choice. It's a case of trying to be fluffy and wanting to use my Tycho model this side of February 2016 (Apocalypse). Other than a Chaplain, there's not a huge amount of choice?
  • Despite some heavy hitters, it feels really light on the ground. Themed or not, should I try and find some more bodies at 1850?
  • I can't say how unsure I am about this list. Trying to get it right is really tricky.  Maybe I should go for a FTSF, remove the Scouts and bulk up the DC?

I like it, i'm just not sure how effective a Mech DC list is. No assault vehicle means a sad time and charges will be few IMO.

Some Fists in the squad might not go amiss, I find your regular attacks will suffice against MEQ forcing saves through number of dice, it's just TEQ/ AV12+ they struggle with otherwise!

One thing to try would be Strike Force Mortalis. For pretty much what is your list now with a few tweaks, you'd give Crusader to everyone and also an extra attack if out numbered.

Requirements are:

1 Chappy

3 DC Squads

2 DC Dreads

1 Stormraven

The only issue is the loss of +1 initiative, but depending on Meta it might not matter so much! If this formation for red thirst it'd be perfect, but sadly it doesn't :(

Interesting comment about Strike Force Mortalis; I have to say I'd overlooked that Formation. Assuming I'd be allowed to proxy my regular Dreadnought as a second Death Company Dreadnought, I could put out something like this:

1850, DC Mech, v2

Flesh Tearers Strike Force

Chaplain

~ Grav pistol, melta bombs

~ Warlord

Scouts (5)

~ Melta bombs

Assault Squad (5)

~ Meltagun (2)

~ Inferno pistol, grav pistol and melta bombs

~ Drop Pod

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank

Strike Force Mortalis

Chaplain

~ Grav pistol, melta bombs

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter and power fist (1)

~ Bolt pistol and chainsword (4)

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

Death Company (5)

~ Bolter (1)

~ Rhino

~ Meltagun and storm bolter

~ Meltagun and storm bolter

~ Drop Pod

Stormraven Gunship

~ Twin-linked assault cannon

~ Twin-linked multi-melta

Oathsworn Detachment

Imperial Knight Paladin

Thoughts

• Is a grav pistol on a chaplain a waste?
  • To have a Sicaran, the HQ in the FTSF needs to me my Warlord. Trying to think of a better choice than a Chaplain...
  • Otherwise, one Chaplain will roll with the tanks and one will arrive in the Stormraven.

Cheap Librarian? Put him in the pod assault squad and hope for some good powers? Wings and Lance could be hilarious. Plus you could give him a pack, then jet him off to join the DC later.

or you could pop a fighty priest in there to make them less suicidal after the blow up a tank. Just a power weapon will let you annoy the back field with some S5 AP3 goodness, or go valour edge you are worried about 2+.

Otherwise I quite like it! Still not a fan of Mech DC, but that's me :P

Oh, and when the Grav concusses the big nasty Daemon Prince it'll certainly be worth it :D

Edited by Charlo

If he gets a Jump Pack, he can't ride in the Drop Pod...

I had thought about sending a Librarian down with the RAS but I'm under the impression that he can't cast the turn he arrives from reserves? Either way, adding a Librarian or Sanguinary Priest in such a manner is going to get my Warlord killed early :(

Oops, my bad, I thought he mightve just counted as two models.

Also, can't cast when he lands? That sucks. I think a chappie might be your best bet really. It's certainly fluffy if all else.

One other alternative is a Techy on a bike to repair the Rhinos? He could also threaten a lot of small units!

I think that's right anyway. I know that a conjured/summoned Psyker cannot cast and they are said to arrive by Deep Strike (still generate warp charge though). Might be wrong.

I'm not sure that 5 man squads of DC are going to cut it.

Perhaps you've had a different experiance, but I find any less than 7 in a group and my units get shot up before they get across the board.

My magic "go to" DC load out is 7 men, one Powerfist and one Power Sword. If I'm feeling frivolous then I stick in an 8th man with a hammer.

No Asteroth? I dont like the model, but man his rules are cool. Imagine 8 DC rer-olling hits and wounds! :D

I like the Mortalis Formation but like you, I only have one DC Dread and I dont like to proxy if I can help it.

I love the idea of a Librarian with a character Knight. The Quickening on a D-strength murder Machine? Hell yeah!

Let us know how it goes brother, I'm always looking for ways to play more Death Company. :)

The only way to boost the amount of DC here would be to drop some upgrades and to downgrade my Sicaran to my "Autolas" Predator Destructor. I'm not comfortable with a five man squad but they will be mounted which will mitigate some of the damage. As this list lacks jump packs, I'm going to shy away from Astorath (plus he's fighting to get in my 1250 list).

I'd need to check the Codex, but I don't think I can turn an Oathsworn Imperial Knight into a Character without making him my Warlord. If I do that, I can't run the Sicaran without a Chaplain and thus, can't afford a Librarian :teehee:

The only way to boost the amount of DC here would be to drop some upgrades and to downgrade my Sicaran to my "Autolas" Predator Destructor. I'm not comfortable with a five man squad but they will be mounted which will mitigate some of the damage. As this list lacks jump packs, I'm going to shy away from Astorath (plus he's fighting to get in my 1250 list).

I'd need to check the Codex, but I don't think I can turn an Oathsworn Imperial Knight into a Character without making him my Warlord. If I do that, I can't run the Sicaran without a Chaplain and thus, can't afford a Librarian :teehee:

I completly missed the fact that the DC are riding in Rhinos, I forget that DC dont HAVE to take jump packs, I've never taken them without. >_<

Is downgrading something to an AV 13, 3 shot, twinlinked, ordinance S10 Ap1 vehicle really a downgrade? Lol.

Then you dont need the Chaplain for the Sicarain and boom; character Knight and Libby.

I'll look into it. A Deimos Vindicator Laser Destroyer (with some proxying) with an Overcharged Engine is actually five points more than a stock Sicaran, but going form a Chaplain to a Librarian will save me points there. The other tank option I have is a regular Vindicator. Basically, I just need something to take the heat off the Rhinos.

*scratches beard*

Very, very grey area. Forgeworld's line is "do what you want"... Just discuss it with your opponent, etc, beforehand.

Anywho, I was wrong about the Librarian. He can cast on the turn he arrives.

Meanwhile, I can't make an Imperial Knight take via an Oathsworn Detachment my Warlord and as I can't afford Gerantius, the boosted Knight trick isn't an option either.

Very, very grey area. Forgeworld's line is "do what you want"... Just discuss it with your opponent, etc, beforehand.

Anywho, I was wrong about the Librarian. He can cast on the turn he arrives.

Didnt we get a conformation that Overcharged was fine in the Forgeworld Tactics thread the other day?

Not that you want to be moving that thing very much and loosing 1 / 2 shots.

Wait, can we take over charged on the Vindicator laser destroyer? :O

Overcharged Engines isn't on any Forgeworld Data Sheet, not something you can do unless you are just making up your own rules with your opponent.