Tonight (and possibly for the rest of the week), I'll be adding my second layer of top coat to my Sanguinary Guard. After that, it's just the detail and the base to do!

Got some more done on my ETL vow Sanguinary Priest tonight. He's coming along nicely.

Alas I could not pledge Mephiston as he had been started before the ETL kicked off.

Got plenty lined up for future vows though, just need to finish this Priest!

I got the base coat done for most of my vow. Not a lot done compared to others here, but it's definitely a start :happy.:

I also started to write a story in the Fan Fiction section after a years absence from there. Whilst the objective is to work out the Sons of Cruor's background (so that I can get back to doing their IA entry in the Liber), it's also so I can get back into writing stuff again.

By blood be undone. It's a small start, but it's definitely something I intend to carry on :smile.:

Brothers, I do need your advice. I've been working on Aphael the last over the last few days, trying to finish him while simultaneously painting like 2 other units. New codex problems.:rolleyes:

Here's the sword - I've stripped the paint off the thing like 4 times because I wasn't satisfied with it. Trying to get a "golden light" effect, because this will be representing the relic 'valours edge'. Can also double as a relic blade with no problem.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/IMG_0078_zpsvfkceyzj.jpg

Now, to you guys, does it look like it's kinda starting to light up from the hilt? I'm torn between saying 'yes!' and 'yeah, but...'. Not sure what's missing. Maybe you can help me out. :smile.:

And then, my second problem: heraldry. What should I paint on his shoulderpad? He's literally covered in winged symbols, which is also the 2nd Company's emblem, but I don't want to paint another wing on him, might be too much bling and too much work to repaint.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/IMG_0077_zpstexczzyd.jpg

Any idea what could be a good heraldry for a BA captain like Aphael?? I'm really struggling with this...:dry.:

Anyways, thanks for your input in advance. See ya!

Snorri

The sword looks great. As for the Emblem, maybe go for some personal heraldry? For example, Tycho's was slightly different from the 3rd Company's banner.

As an aside Snorri, being a veteran you may well remember our painting history. This year we are resurgent in the ETL and we need you to return to the fold, even if it is something small. Will you stand with us?

Could try the lightest yellow wash that GW do, and then be really cheeky and do the tiniest edging with the lightest gold/ silver they do for shine!

Otherwise that mini is ace! Love the pose

Did. Looks better now, I reckon, even though I used white instead of gold. No metallics on this sword! Thanks for the advice though!

The sword looks great. As for the Emblem, maybe go for some personal heraldry? For example, Tycho's was slightly different from the 3rd Company's banner.

As an aside Snorri, being a veteran you may well remember our painting history. This year we are resurgent in the ETL and we need you to return to the fold, even if it is something small. Will you stand with us?

Mh, was thinking of what emblem I could use as his personal heraldry. Grail, as in the old timey codex? Maybe. A numeric 2 for the company? Too simple in my opinion. A teardrop? Too ordinary. Aarrgh :pinch:

I was thinking of participating, brother, but I don't have any models in the stage of completion required to enter the challenge (=blank just before primer). Those that I do have are a bunch of tacticals, and a rhino/razorback, but all of 'em are already primed. Would it be legal to enter them into the challenge, I'd do it! Can you see a way of that happening?

Thanks for the input anyways!

Snorri

@ Snorri, Aphael looks great! I might steal that kitbash / pose ;)

I think the sword looks good in principle, I just think you need to bring the gold colour further down towards the hilt and darken it further at the tip. Basically needs more contrast.

As for the heraldry I'm not sure... Maybe consult old BA codices / artwork..?

Finally, re the ETL, primed models are definitely acceptable. Base coated possibly, with Captain's leave.

If by primed you mean undercoated, then it's fair game. Why not put up a picture here or pm Semper about them?

Well, my undercoat is red, and red is the colour of the marine. But I reckon this is too much highlights? That's the stage 80% of them are in.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/IMG_0080_zpsksxqldmr.jpg

@ Snorri, Aphael looks great! I might steal that kitbash / pose :wink:

I think the sword looks good in principle, I just think you need to bring the gold colour further down towards the hilt and darken it further at the tip. Basically needs more contrast.

Finally, re the ETL, primed models are definitely acceptable. Base coated possibly, with Captain's leave.

Thanks matey! You know what A. Lincoln said about the internet...you can't ever trust the sources. So go ahead and steal away :laugh.:

Mh, I was thinking about that, yeah, but I'm not sure if I want it to look like an ordinary golden sword(how that is ordinary is actually beyond me). I glazed some Dark Flesh over the tip, but it turned out too drastic a contrast in the end. Might see what I can do there.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. So much painful work though. :biggrin.:

Ah well, the Captain would've made a good chunk of points. And the tacticals are out as well, I reckon. We'll see. The rhino is definitively ready to go.

Snorri

If by primed you mean undercoated, then it's fair game. Why not put up a picture here or pm Semper about them?

Well, my undercoat is red, and red is the colour of the marine. But I reckon this is too much highlights? That's the stage 80% of them are in.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad309/Snorrinorrison/IMG_0080_zpsksxqldmr.jpg

@ Snorri, Aphael looks great! I might steal that kitbash / pose :wink:

Thanks matey! You know what A. Lincoln said about the internet...you can't ever trust the sources. So go ahead and steal away :laugh.:

Mh, I was thinking about that, yeah, but I'm not sure if I want it to look like an ordinary golden sword(how that is ordinary is actually beyond me). I glazed some Dark Flesh over the tip, but it turned out too drastic a contrast in the end. Might see what I can do there.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do. So much painful work though. :biggrin.:

Ah well, the Captain would've made a good chunk of points. And the tacticals are out as well, I reckon. We'll see. The rhino is definitively ready to go.

Snorri

Fair game :)

In other news, Semper, is this model too far gone to compete?

It's fine. :)

Minor progress today but still some! Clipped some hands so the resin chain-axes can go on my DC vow and painted some of the lead belcher details and more or less finished the gold. Washed them both too.

Hidden Content
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150526_203050_zpsvwozylz4.jpg

Also, sprayed 15 32mm bases black and dolloped a load of Martian Ironearth on them, I'm hoping they will look better than initial results seem:

Hidden Content
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150526_203043_zpsxeuwc4c7.jpg
Edited by Charlo

Had a look at them now they are dry, looking ACE, lots of little fissures and patters all around. Will probably put some Agrax on and then apply some Army Painter Brown Battlefield to them before possibly another coat of Ironearth? Does it work properly over itself?

Hidden Content

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20150526_224941_zpsdklf316x.jpg

I tried that Ironearth paint and it flaked off after it dried. Not sure what I'm doing wrong :sad.: