Local tourney, want some list advice

Reclusiarch Darius

Got a local tournament happening soon, thought I'd field this to to the forum and see what people think.

Details:

- 1850 points

- 75% battle score, 25% paint score (no comp or sportsmanship, thank Throne)

- Must be Battleforged, can only have two detachments (ie Primary+Ally, Primary+Dataslate)

- Can take a single Imperial Armour HQ choice as a Lord of War (meh)

- First Blood can only be scored in the first turn, and both players can achieve it (wat)

- Mysterious Objectives (why sad.png )

- Headhunter Award, pick a character and record how much it kills, 1pt for non-MC's/vehicles, 2pts for MC's/vehicles

- Survivor Award, pick a unit and record how many times it survives by game end

Restrictions:

- No Imperial Armour lists or units, besides the Lord of War (no Red Hunters sad.png )

- No Escalation

- No Armour 15 fortifications

- No Fortification formations

- No Void Shield generators

- No Promethium Pipeline

Mission types:

- Mission 1: Purge the Alien, Vanguard Deployment

- Mission 2: Crusade (5 objectives placed before table sides chosen), Dawn of War deployment

- Mission 3: Scouring (6 objectives worth 3pts each placed before table sides chosen), Hammer and Anvil deployment

- Mission 4: Emperor's Will, Dawn of War deployment

- Mission 5: The Relic, Vanguard deployment

Battle points:

- Major win-16 pts
- Minor Win-11 pts
- Draw-8 pts
- Minor Loss-5 pts
- Major Loss-1 pts
- Secondary Mission- 2 pts each (these are a secret list to be revealed on the day, you pick two each game and at game end reveal if you achieved them)
Thoughts?

Why the Locator Beacon and Comms Relay?

Re-roll my Turn 1 Reserves so they don't come on. Turn 2 get the Raven on table, delaying the Strikes get again. Turn 3 bring them on off its locator beacon, disembarking the Flame Knight+Librarian cargo, then charging with them as well (thanks to Assault Ramp).

You're starting the NDKs on board right? msn-wink.gif

Of course, that's why they have teleporters.

Using a Comms just to potentially get the Raven in earlier is a bit /meh.

I need it Turn 2, plus it lets me delay those Strike squads. Otherwise I risk bringing them on too early, when enemy Interceptor is still alive.

Have you considered going GK CAD for only Three NDK, and picking up some Dev Cents?

The problem is that Dev Cents are too slow and can't deal with enemy problem units. Dreadknights are just a better investment, they can put S7 assault cannon with blast alternate mode into enemy lines Turn 1 (great for getting side or rear armour Line of Sight). They just do so much work. If it were 2k I might consider Grav Centurions with Draigo, but at 1850 I just don't have the points for it.

I'm away from my books but if I were to make a change to your list it would be to lose the adl comms and add lias issodon. Seriously nasty force multiplier slash reserve manip and counter reserves. Smacking a wk around before the game starts is always fun too. Highly recommended since he only takes a LoW slot. The other idea would be draigo to keep track of his survival and stack the kills with him too if you can double them up i.e. headhunter/survivor.

Who are manning the Comms Relay? The purifiers?

Depends. If I feel comfortable parking them in the Aegis line (against an army that lacks ranged AP3/2 for example), sure, they make a great firebase and have little reason to move (they're very scary to charge). If not, I have four Dreadknights to choose from. 

Still, I'd prefer to use the Strikes to bait Interceptor.  Rather than delay them until it's gone.

Matchup dependent. Like with the Purifiers, it really depends on what kinda list I'm facing. TripTide? Yeah I'll be Turn 1 triggering Interceptor, trading my Strikes for my DK's is a very good plan against that kind of shooty list. Against a more mobile opponent, or someone who wants to get into close-range fights quickly, landing Strikes on a backfield objective with Purifiers Turn 3 could be a better play. 
I'm away from my books but if I were to make a change to your list it would be to lose the adl comms and add lias issodon. Seriously nasty force multiplier slash reserve manip and counter reserves. Smacking a wk around before the game starts is always fun too. Highly recommended since he only takes a LoW slot. The other idea would be draigo to keep track of his survival and stack the kills with him too if you can double them up i.e. headhunter/survivor. 

I'd have to drop a Dreadknight to do either of those things, and then some other stuff as well. Issodon is nice but its not the right list for him. Draigo would be amusing but he suffers from being slow and I have no Terminators for him to roll with (shrug). 

5 points more than the ADL can buy you a Wall of Martyrs bunker - AV14, 4HP and 8 fire points. Might be worth swapping out if you want to keep your Purifiers alive longer.

Yeah that's not a bad idea. AV14 means they have to waste decent anti-tank to get rid of it, which is less AP2/1 into my Dreadknights. 

Just throwing this out for an idea to make a GK 'gunline' and abuse Bunkers. ;)

NSF1

HQ: Librarian (110)

Troop: Strike x5, Psycannon (125)

Elite: Purifier x10, Psycannon x4 (310)

Fortification: WoM Imperial Bunker, Void Shield (80)

NSF2

NSF3

Fortification: WoM Imperial Bunker (55)

Total: 1,850

Place the three bunkers as close to mid table as possible.  Purifiers inside (combat Squadded), Strikes on top (battlements).

Sit still and Pew Pew with Psycannons.

Libbies can Shriek, or Prescience the Puri's.  Whatever.

Just throwing this out for an idea to make a GK 'gunline' and abuse Bunkers. msn-wink.gif

NSF1

NSF2

NSF3

Fortification: WoM Imperial Bunker (55)

Total: 1,850

Place the three bunkers as close to mid table as possible. Purifiers inside (combat Squadded), Strikes on top (battlements).

Sit still and Pew Pew with Psycannons.

Libbies can Shriek, or Prescience the Puri's. Whatever.

Nice idea, but I can't have more than 2 detachments (read the OP).

The void shields are out as well..

Yep. So I can't build a gunline list either, as Tau or Eldar will just table it without void shields to soak up their absurd ranged output. 

Which is why I've gone mobile. No point playing a ranged game when I'm so heavily outnumbered and outgunned. Get into enemy lines ASAP, charge stuff, leverage my superior melee and stuff like incinerators and 'Cleansing Flame' to even the odds. 

If mobility is critical I'd probably replace the purifiers with interceptors bearing incinerators, and spend the points you free up on a heavy incinerator or two for your NDKs. If needed leave one of the strikes to man the ADL.

From Stronghold (which you now require to use any Fortification, so the updated rules aren't optional);

Victory Conditions
Unless you and your opponent decide otherwise, do not include fortifications for the purposes of awarding Victory
Points or determining when an opposing side is ‘wiped out’.

I'd still run as many NDK as you possible can for this. It's about the best we'll be able to manage.

At best I can take 5 (a CAD and then a NSF), and I have to pay for three min Strikes instead of just two. So that 5th Dreadknight ends up costing over 300pts to field. I'm happy with 4, that should be enough for ground control. I feel I need the Raven though, there are just too many Flyers in 7th.
If mobility is critical I'd probably replace the purifiers with interceptors bearing incinerators, and spend the points you free up on a heavy incinerator or two for your NDKs. If needed leave one of the strikes to man the ADL.

The problem is that in matchups where I want a firebase, Interceptors won't work. Also, Interceptors are only good against infantry, and I already have anti-infantry in spades. Sad as it is, psycannons are still our best option, its just hard to find a home for them. Purifiers like to camp (they don't give up much by not charging), or alternatively if deploying by Raven they can hunker down on an enemy objective and force the enemy to wipe them out or concede that objective (Fearless force-weapon toting Marines with storm bolter and psycannon, plus 'Cleansing Flame', is a problem). Incinerators are great against horde lists, but pretty close to useless against most other matchups (shrug) I just prefer psycannon of both varieties.

So no first blood for popping your Bunker first turn. msn-wink.gif

Sweet. Definitely be keen for that. Especially as in this tourney, you can only achieve First Blood on Turn 1.

Seems like a lot of points to come on Turn 2... hopefully. The dreadknight is already on the board dealing with threats that could potentially bring down your raven when it does come on. Unless you want to combat squad a purifier squad into two ravens I think two dreadknights would be better.

What's your list btw. The only one I see is the one by GL.

Archived