Rise of the Dreadwolves : Crossroads

Lord Blackwood

I think we need more examples of gravis armor than the kits we do  have , I think the character gravis armor looks great like  the Iron Hands Iron Priest and the Imperial Fist Captain 

Heres one of those two contemptors with the head swap painted up. 

No arms because forgeworld is down  and ive had these contemptors forever just never got around to them. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9J6IvxD8vg

• 2 weeks later...

4a493c21ff3458f9ac732e1993ebaf2a90b39539

The Intercessors are finally done. 

28 + 2 Lts  Im almost finished getting all  of the lockdown painting finished , I have 3 elminators and 2  Agressors left to do , then  the 3 impulsors 1 Repulsor then Im waiting for 9th 

Thanks man!

Does anyone know if the venerable heads will work with the legion contemptors , I found 2 contemptors that I never got to when I did my legion stuff no idea where the heads are so I probably need to get some new ones.

Hidden Content
de8f870cb36cbf5536e069a49dc1a60df5d68707

Edit: Nevermind I know what I am going to do for these , I am going to Use Agressor Heads

Then I can Fluff it as the Dreadwolves straight up Saw wounded Primaris in half and shove them in contemptors.

d1a74cf3bbc29a1927ea18bfbc730fd25b4c347c

they should work. I made 3 Librarian Dreads from the custodes contemptors. I used a Sanguinary guard helmet and one of the spiked helmets I think was from the plastic jump chaplain. Edited by Brother Tyler
Hidden by request of Lord Blackwood to preserve flow of blog posts.

A Dying Breed. 

Dramatis Personae

Malik The One handed, Jarl of Twa, Dread Wolves Second Company. 
First non Fenrisian Wolf Lord of the Dread Wolves. Carib Primaris Marine

Nakari , Wolf Guard of Malik, Dread Wolves Second Company. Carib Primaris Marine.

Vandir , Wolf Guard of Malik, Dread Wolves Second Company. Fenrisian Primaris Marine.

Thamen Grave Walker, Wolf Priest, Dread Wolves Second Company, Navahn Primaris Marine.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Bones of Russ" 

Malik swore as he wrenched true claw from the gut of a traitor warrior. The heavy staccato of bolt rifle fire was practically droned out due to the gaping hole in the ships side. His axe was buried in the gorget of the same traitor’s armor freeing his right hand to reach behind him for his own bolt rifle which he brought up and fired one handed into the retreating chaos space marines.

His pack had hit them hard; they had of course not expected them to detonate a section of the ship to try and spill them back into the void.  Thankfully the packs of the Dread wolves were quick to adjust.

" PURSUE THEM BEFORE THEY SCUTTLE THE DAMN SHIP AND MAKE THIS PLACE OUR PYRE "

He mag locked his bolter back to his back hip retrieving his axe. Around him his kinsmen were already running, though three of his wolf guard remained by him one of which was Nakari who growled out in their native tongue as opposed to Wurgen.

" It would be an impressive pyre though eh? A sea of stars as opposed to one of water would be an interesting change of pace no? "

Malik took off after the main pack knowing his Wolf Guard would be in step. Responding to his brother in the same tongue.

"Oye Garcon, quiet yer mouth, there is work to do."

The two warriors shared a laugh. These last few months of hunting had been stressful indeed , they were the first true test of Malik in the role of Jarl of Twa , the companies fenrisians  doubted him  less every day but there was still doubt there ,  still challenge in  their voices when they spoke to him. This would change.

They were a dying breed, the old blood of the chapter, their cultures being muddied and diluted by each new wave of brothers plucked from the worlds that they liberated and warred upon.

Malik may have been the first Jarl to have never called Fenris his own, but he would not be the last.  There was one thing that they had in common with the old blood though, and that was the savagery with which they dealt death to the All father’s enemies.

The cultists were themselves mere mortals, mutants and dregs that posed little threat to a primaris space marine though in numbers they could be a bit of an annoyance. Malik of course minded little as he and his wolf guard trampled and crushed their way through them.  Nakari’s shield swept across splattering a number of the mortals who died in a series of sharp wet cracks these were mere speed bumps sent to slow them down from  advancing to the bridge of the ship , they were less than effective in this task.

Malik never one to stray from getting his hands dirty butchered the cultists in every direction axe and true claw both taking humans apart their filthy blood sizzling along the killing edge of his weapons.  It was not until he needed to dodge a bolt of Plasma from a Plasma gun wielding traitor marine that he finally felt his blood start to heat again.

His axe tumbled end over end into  the marines armor , lodging in his knee and thigh the traitor  let out a roar from  his Vox emitter shrugging off the deep bite of Malik’s axe and leveling his Plasma gun to fire a second time.  He never got the chance as Vandir’s axe split his face plate.

“Aye Jarl, you have the power but the technique, it is a little wanting. “

The fenrisian wolf guard chuckled darkly as both Dread Wolves rushed forward to retrieve their weapons. Another hallway clear nothing barred them from the bridge now, the enginarium secured it was time to lop the head off this serpent.

The bridge was as hectic a warzone as any other, it was where they encountered the most dangerous resistance.  The Pack that had arrived before them were pinned down on the far side of the bridge by the fire of a chaos hell brute, and at least five traitor legionaries.  The traitors of course were not expecting a flank from Malik and his wolf Guard.

A well placed smoke grenade  and two krak grenades in rapid succession was enough to sow some discord Malik was into the breech first  true claw crackling with energy as he practically leapt onto the first traitor marine he saw  batting aside the bolter that the warrior had  tried to level at him and driving the talons of true claw into his throat.  He could see the traitors were regrouping the hell brute was the top priority as it swung around to face the new threat Malik prepared to move to engage it.

His instinct told him to dive away and he followed that instinct creating enough space to narrowly avoid being carved open by the power sword of the traitor lord. He felt a surge of kill urge baring his fangs within the claustrophobic confines of his helmet.

“I mark you, Prey. “ 

The traitor lord laughed flourishing his sword with an elaborate twirl, the deep crimson of his armor and bright brass all tinged slightly red by the strobing warning lights of the bridge.

“And I mark you abomination, idiot, perhaps even false wolf.  It is hard to tell when you all stink like dogs. “

Malik  snarled and charged  bringing his claw from  high and his axe from  low as the traitor  slipped away staying just outside of his range   the bit of the power sword  against his breastplate an unpleasant experience to say  the least.  Malik adjusted his posture and continued to attack, not wanting to be on the backfoot. 

Something deep inside him was straining at the chains  that bound it , something that every space wolf  , every dread wolf had deep inside them , when he had first gone through the trials they had told him that it would be a battle he fought for the rest of his life , one he had seen plenty lose. The dark dreamers in particular.  Those who were consumed by Morkai.

Malik let the chains slip, just a bit, giving in just enough that he remained in control.

“Fine, let’s kill together, a few moments of freedom, but it is me you serve.”

The thoughts were only for a split second , because that’s all he had before he saw red , not the strobing lights,  not the traitors armor , but the crimson and black so similar to his pauldron that held the chapter symbol.

He was on top of the Traitor Lord his claw piercing his chest through both his hearts the traitor’s sword somewhere across the deck his axe in hand knocking in again and again into the traitor lords ruined helm.

“MALIK! COVER! “

Nakari practically tackled him out of the way of the butcher cannon shells as they tore through the space the two dread wolves had been mere moments before. The Dreadnought still stood, most if not all its traitor kin slaughtered, though the number of stormgrey warriors laid low amongst them was disheartening.

“ Bolters won’t kill  this thing and its going Berserk Jarl , we need to fall ba- “

There was an ear splitting mournful howl , it resonated building in pressure until Malik joined it , which in turn caused every Dread Wolf still breathing to join  it as well.  From the smoke they came, the Dark Dreamers, wolf skull helms, Power Armor Black as Pitch.  Leading them was a Wolf Priest.  The Dreamers advanced slowly, those with storm shields and great thunder hammers at the front of the pack.  Their slow advance turning into a run, then a full out charge.  The Hell brute not to be outdone charged into them , but the dreamers were not normal Dread Wolves , whatever ties to their humanity they had did not make them flinch , the ensuing crash was beautifully violent  the hell brute picking up one Dreamer in his close combat hand and crushing him  even  as the Dreamer drove his great axe into the dreadnought hull. 

It was the thunder hammers that would be the demise of the Hell brute , their heavy swings turning knee joints  backwards and robbing the hell brute of any sort of mobility  the Dreamers fell upon the hell brute  butchering it the same  way a pack of wolves would tear a larger animal to bits. Though the Hellbrutes death throws claimed one or two of them, it became still after a short time.

The dreamers moved among the fallen traitors and began to make sure they were dead. The Wolf Priest, called Gravewalker now, and once Thamen by his kinsmen removed his helm, dark skin and long black hair braided with bones in it a few eagle feathers tucked behind his ear, his peoples war paint daubed on his flesh. 

“Good timing Priest… “

Malik growled retrieving his axe.  The Wolf priest raised an eyebrow at him but did not keep his gaze once Malik focused upon him.

“Would have been here sooner maybe, met decently armed resistance, and you know how the Dreamers get when there is adequate prey. “

“ Aye …. “

Malik looked among the carnage noticing that Vandir lay among the fallen. Another Fenrisian dead, his own Wolf Guard and he had been too embroiled in his duel to even see the warrior meet his end.

“May the seas take you to the Halls of Russ brother ….”

Nakari grunted and motioned to Gravewalker to see to their kinsmen the priest largely ignored him but noticed Maliks obvious annoyance before setting to his task at recovering the legacy of the fallen.

“This ship was the only one we could catch up to, but it will lead us to the others Jarl, of that I am sure. “

Malik  did not regret letting he chain loose , though as he watched the Dreamers ritualistically butcher the traitors some of which were still  alive as they were  bludgeoned , hacked or ripped apart he wondered if it had been the only option he had.

The ship  that had breached the system was one of theirs, or so they thought ,their battered fleet had limped away from the Dread Wolves , and had been bleeding vessels that would catch up if they were able to slip free of the  Wolves snares.

The Serpents Coil seemed to be one of those ships, it limped back toward the formation, then it seemed to do more than limp, damaged engines at full burn.  The Serpents Coil collided with the Veiled Dagger both ships detonating at the heart of the formation.

It was then that the Dread Wolves Fleet broke the warp , capitol ships , The Reaping Howl , The Shewolves Lament , and the massive Dreadmaw leading the way, from  the bridge of The Sea Hunter Wolf Lord Malik  and his shield bearer Nakari  watched the  Serpents Coil  explode.

“I take it Back “Malik growled out as he watched.

“What is that Jarl? “Nakari asked as he fixed his helmet in place.

“Vandir’s Pyre is a magnificent thing to behold. “

Malik turned to the warriors of his company.

“Get to the boats, we break their back today for every brother slain on this hunt.  For RUSS!  “

Malik  threw his head back and howled , a howl that echoed not just on  his ship , but every ship  in the Dread Wolves Fleet , transmitted across every Vox channel , much like the legion of old they wanted the traitors to know , they wanted them  to know what was coming for them , and know that no matter how far they tried to run , they would be run to ground , and butchered.

So I have this idea for the next Dread Wolves  Wolf Lord

I kinda wanted to sound it here to get some feedback on the idea. 

The Dreadwolves make extensive use of the old Deathsworn Archetype from the legion as their Wulfen Stand ins , it is one of those projects I am very proud of , and I've extended that concept out to my Agressors. 

I kind of want to have one of the 10 Wolf Lords be in that Archetype 

The Wolf Priests much like the in the Legion sort of watch over and shepherd the Dark Dreamers as they are employed in combat. 
( which is what the new chaplain from the box set will be for) 

I want to do a Wolf Lord who was there ,was lost and somehow clawed his way out from between Morkai's teeth , I want to make  

Skoll The Lucid Dreamer 

A Brooding Quiet , unspeakably savage ,but remarkably cunning   Wolf Lord  who I will do the same way Ive done my Deathsworn 

With the advent of a Relic shield Captain becoming an option I think its a good opportunity to explore that.  Simply because I need to build a captain  anyway.

I have a spare ragnar and some bits coming to start work on  this , Just curious on some opinions of the folks here following the project.  Please let me know what you think. 

253048379f35cac92fbe61d615ec6a616cf28d5a

Current Lords of the Dreadwolves.

Bjorn Swift Sword The Remade , Jarl of Onn  - The Dreadwolf
Malik The One Handed , Jarl of Twa 
Skoll  The Lucid Dreamer , Jarl of Tra 
Haldor Grimgut , Jarl of For 

leaves me potentially 6 more slots
you  will notice that  the individual Lords wont have totems like they  do in the parent chapter , Priests are divided out to each company not all contained in the first and seconded to the companies , and they are just that Companies not Great Companies , while they  operate slightly above strength its not as much as the wolves do , 150 is like the cap 
this stems from the fact that they are a chapter forged out of a great company

Edited by Lord Blackwood

Here is the completed WIP  of Skoll Jarl of Tra , the Lucid Dreamer , the only one to come back from  the Whispers of the Dreadwolf , his armor will be black like the other deathsworn , I  also had a spare Haldor Icepelt so I  converted him up to use at a Lt with stormshield and such. 

That means I can use the 3  from the box and the Lt from the box as Blade Guard ,they will more than likely get wulfen shields though. 

7ff861eff4a8f72649b27fd687280f56a5be8735

84496a4f8b6fcf33426d13bc79bca054e34a0de2

Note Skoll's Wolf Skull helmet from his time as a Deathsworn. Pretty pleased with how this came out. 

Edited by Lord Blackwood

Fun fact I am outlining another short fluff piece for Skoll  that Nakari will be in. 

Its not a direct sequel to A Dying Breed  but we know that Nakari is a Wolf Guard of Malik's not Skolls  

Skoll is Jarl of Tra , and Malik being Jarl of Twa 

But that story will tie into the new box set stuff , the home table I am trying to build , and the Basing project for the DreadWolves army. 
(yea im feeling the peer pressure so I am going to base the army XD ) 

The only hint ill drop is Outpost Gamma is gonna be pretty cool. 

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent work. I especially like the wolfish Redemptor.

Thanks , Gotta proxy the Fell handed somehow while keeping scale appropriate. 

11638f387c948126f90f18a9e1fcb14b159934cc

All the infantry is painted and based , with tidy base rims and  skulls and little tufts of wasteland grass. 

These five models are the next task to clear my desk before indomitus , then it will just be those models ( starting with the ones that immediately fit into a 2000 point list.  That will take priority.