Solrac's Dark Angels WIP (updated 17/10/2017)

Solrac

Hey guys,
So inspried by some of the other DA WIPs (Spaced Hulk's Sword Bearers) that are on here as well as needing more of a push to get things painted I thought I'd do a WIP of my own. Posted it in the DA forum as I thought it would be appreciated more here. I will post my progress like everyone else but also keep the first thread updated also (for people that just wanna check out pictures).
A Bit About Me
My name is Carlos born in Peru but moved to Australia when I was 5. I am married and we plan on having some kidlets in the next couple of years. I work a 9 to 5 job for the Government which i love after working in retail for a long time. Besides 40k I like my PC gaming, movies, board games.
My History with the Hobby
Was introduced to 40k in 1998 by my friends in high school. Have always been a Dark Angels fan because, welll..... Terminators. The idea of an all Terminator army was just awesome epecially after playing the early Space Hulk PC game. I still own my Angels of Death codex and all the fluff has kept me well placed as a DA player. Favourite past time with the he hobby would have been having 40k weekends at one of my mates places every other weekend. Eight of us would bring everything we had and play on a ping pong table, beers in hand starting lunch time on Saturday and finishing the following afternoon.
Before I start I thought I'd post a pic of my paint station! I usually have Batreps going while I paint but more recently been listening to the Horus Heresy audiobooks.

Paint Station

So without further ado I present to you my collection!
Updated 22/05/2016
Completed
gallery_79185_10323_1199129.jpg
gallery_79185_10323_444389.jpg
gallery_79185_10323_116734.jpg
gallery_79185_10323_899076.jpg
Works in Progress
gallery_79185_10323_1014048.jpg
gallery_79185_10323_491345.jpg

Edited by Solrac

Hey guys!

Completed five marines today!

They still need a coat of matt varnish and bases need flocking but left them with no flock simply because I don't know if I'm going to continue doing it the way I have in the past.

The Sergeants Bolter is magnetised :)

DA Tac Sqd 1

DA Tac Sqd 2

DA Tac Sqd 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post some progress. It's been slow going with other things getting in the way of painting during the week.

I've been painting my second LRC and my Flamer Dread, both about 80% finished.

With my last league game on this Thursday and me wanting to field a Ravenwing army, I'm going to make sure I have all the bikes ready for paint/and or undercoated just so I don't have to play with bare models.

Edited by Solrac

Just so you guys know im not sleeping on the job :P

Ravenwing progress

Last nights progress. I bought these all put together ive been cleaning up mold lines and removing riders and other things I won't need. Should finish getting them put together the way I want tonight and start painting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Getting ready for a tournament! List discussion here.

10 Terminators...

1 Imperial Knight...

19 days...

I'm lucky the wife is back to night shifts!

Deathwing   Imperial Knight 1

Keep you guys posted on progress.

Time to cook steak!

Friday at last!

Got a bit done the last couple of days. Weapons are now red and got the Leadbelcher on the Termies as well as the Nulon Oil wash. The magnets for the Knight arrived today so should be able to finish magnetising it and get an under coat on it tonight!

Deathwing   Imperial Knight 3

Is it the lighting or are they darker than before? Good luck for the tournament.

They always look darker until I put the highlights on. I finished up everything last night including the bases. Just need a clear coat now and transfers on the Knight. I'll get some photos up when I get home.

And here's my tournament Army for tomorrow!

DWIK (13)

DWIK (11)

DWIK (10)

And the fluff:

DWIK (7)

Deathwing Command Squad Ramon

Brother Ramon is the Standard Bearer for Belial's personal Command Squad. Ramon has served in the 1st Company for decades. His battle form, wisdom and knowledge had earned him the honoured position within the 1st Company. Ramon is the only member of the Deathwing that is entrusted to carry the Sacred Standards into battle.

Belial and Ramon share a tight bond and a lengthy history. Prior to his induction into the Inner Circle, Ramon had been the Standard Bearer for the 3rd Battle Comapny, fighting alongside Master Belial during the Ork Invasion of Piscina IV. It was Belial himself who recommended that Ramon was ready to be inducted into the Deathwing after his promotion to Grand Master of the 1st Company.

DWIK (6)

Deathwing Terminator Squad Arsenio

Sergeant Arsenio is a mountain of a man even for an Astartes. However his power and size is only second to his brilliant tactical mind. When inducted into the Deathwing it didn't take long for him to be singled out by the Inner Circle to lead a squad of Terminators. He humbly refused. Wanting to master all Deathwing Battle Tactics and Weapons before even thinking of being promoted.

Arsenio finally accepted the honour during the Pandorax Campaign where his predecessor was killed shortly after a teleport drop to the surface. It was Arsenio's leadership and tactical brilliance that resulted in freeing many of the hives on the planet from the Black Legion and Death Guard.

DWIK (8)

Deathwing Terminator Squad Isandro

Sergeant Isandro uphold's his duty to the Chapter like no other. Always steadfast in his battle craft, he prefers to lead from the front lines in the thick of the fighting. As a Sergeant in the 4th Company he lead his squad forward time and time again, never relenting or giving up ground. Even with this staunchness of character, Isandro has had the fewest Astartes losses out of any other officer in the Chapter.

Isandro was elevated to the Deathwing following the Second Battle of Rynn's World where Grand Master Sammael had personally brought his name forward to the Inner Circle after witnessing his reputation first hand.  

DWIK (9)

Deathwing Terminator Squad Ulises

Sergeant Ulises is famed for his bloodthirsty and aggressive nature, always preferring brute force over any other tactic. Even as an initiate this was evident and had fueled him through the ranks of the Dark Angels. It is even said his hunger for war rivals even that of their Blood Angel counterparts.

Upon his induction to the Deathwing and learning the Secret, his rage burned like never before. To know this sudden stain on the Chapter's honour was inconceivable. To this day, Sergeant Ulises is always at the forefront of any Chaos engagement and missions involving The Hunt.

DWIK (4)

Sir Clophas of House Terryn

Sir Clophas pilots the Dauntless Spear, Knight Errant. Clophas is a direct descendant of Sir Capulin of Tybalt's Triumvirate.

Not long after undergoing the Ritual of Becoming, Knight Apparent Clophas was dispatched to Cadia as part of a small detachment of House Terryn Knights sent to aid in the Cadian sector during the 13th Black Crusade.

The Terryn detachment being the closest to Cadia at the time arrived in the sector to receive orders to help in the defence Kasr Partox. With the larger mechanicum Titans crucial to the defence of the Fortress, the Terryn Knights were charged with leading a flanking attack on the enemy artillery. 

With the violent arrival of the Necronotyr, it wasn't long before the Terryn spearhead took a heavy toll and only the Knights remained. The Knights battled for Death and Glory but began to fall one by one. Clophas was saved when Grand Master Belial and squads of Deathwing Terminators from the Dark Angels Chapter teleported to his position in an attempt to hold back the Necron forces whilst Kasr Partox was evacuated.

Clophas later pledged a life debt to the Grand Master and always seeks missions where he would be taken to Dark Angels front lines in the hopes of upholding his honour. Clophas became a full-fledged Imperial Knight after the Battle of Kasr Partox.

The terminators aren't exactly bone white, but it's is a surprisingly nice tone you have that suits the Terminators and still carries a great DW feel. Cheers!

Yeah my Terminators have always been on the browner side. Decided to do it that way making them look slightly weathered without actually doing proper weathering. Also going a slightly darker tone better distinguishes my DW army from the two other local Dark Angels players at my local.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. I'm taking my camera to the Tournament, wish me luck!.

• 1 month later...

So I've been a bit slack but have another deadline coming up so time to stop procrastinating and go to work. I have a 1500pt Tourney on 9th and 10th May and I've got a lot to do.

Here is my paint list!

1x Bike Librarian
1x Librarian
2x Missile Launcher Marine
4x Lascannon Marine
1x Flamer Marine
2x Sergeant (1 w/ Combi-Flamer)
1x Devastator Sergeant
16x Bolter Marine
2x Vindicator
1x Razorback
3x Drop Pod
1x Aegis + Quadgun
2x Land Speeder

I do have a head start. The bike Libby is about 50% done, 1x Drop Pod and Razorback just need touch ups and highlighting. Both Vindicators are about 50% done. I still have to build and magnetise one of the Land Speeders but everything else is already at least base coated/undercoated.

The Tourney is 5 games over 2 days using 5 of 6 of the Maelstrom Missions (yay!). No allies, Forgeworld or Superheavies allowed.

My full list is here if anyones interested. It's a dumbing down of a 2k list I made in the Army list section. Decided to stick to it after finding out the Tourney was Maelstrom. I believe its good overall list to take.

HQ

Warlord Librarian 95

+ PFG

Librarian 120

+ PFG

+ Bike

+ Auspex

TROOPS

(5) Tactical Squad 95

+ Missile Launcher w/ Flakk Missiles

Dedicated: Razorback 80

+ Twin-linked Lascannons

+ Dozer Blade

(9) Tactical Squad 151

+ Plasmagun

+ Combi-Plasma

Dedicated: Drop Pod 35

+ Strom Bolter

(10) Tactical Squad 170

+ Flamer

+ Combi-Flamer

+ Missile Launcher

+ Storm Bolter

FAST ATTACK

Land Speeder 75

+ Typhoon Missile Launcher

Land Speeder 75

+ Typhoon Missile Launcher

HEAVY SUPPORT

(6) Devastator Squad 164

+ 4x Lascannons

+ Storm Bolter

Vindicator 135

+ Siege Shield

Vindicator 135

+ Siege Shield

FORTIFICATIONS

Aegis Defence Line 100

+ Quad Gun

Warlord Libby will be with the Dev Squad, Bike Libby PFGs the Vindis and rolls up a flank. Drop pod Tacs will be used to grab objectives rather than an Alpha strike. The Dev drop pod will always be empty (grabbed it just to have 2 pods T1). Tac squad with Flakk mans the Aegis and Quad Gun for primary AA whilst Dev squad with Prescience is Secondary AA. Razorback stays behind Aegis to support or moves to grab objectives. Land Speeders will stay at the back firing missiles or moving up to grab objectives.

The plan is to build and magnetise the Land Speeder this week and Friday night I will undercoat and basecoat everything with the air brush. From there I will finish the drop pod and razorback then start on the infantry. I have 3 days off work making a long weekend the first week of May before the Tourney so should be able to get it done.

Pity it didn't line up better with ETL :sad.:

I'll post some picks up soon!

Edited by Solrac