++// 2015 Augustus' Arena \\++ EVENT ENDED

@Augustus -

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/Mobile%20Uploads/DAA984F0-BBEA-4A2C-87A3-6BBB1DE7D561_zpsjhwyhlyn.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/Mobile%20Uploads/428C5011-65A4-4BC5-93C6-31C2CD3E6CF8_zpsi6o1eih0.jpg

They are just craft chain, craft wire, and sewing pin heads. I just have them "hanging" in place for now for painting purposes. They will be affixed much better once they and the Dreads are painted.

Why Skulls on a Space Wolf? Until FW shows us some love I am building them off of a Night Lords list (less Viking / more Pict). With all the Night Lords running around this forum the inspiration flows like loyalist blood, so I know I am in the right place :)

I come as an Emissary from Escharon to you my lord Khârn the Bloody. I have heard that you desire one of my lords engines of war. He is prepared to treat with you.

I, Teetengee, challenge Khârn the Bloody to build, paint, and base a Daemon Engine. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

A bloody horde of voidborn cultists of the Merciless will be yours to command, if you intend to trade with us.

I will report your will to Drakon.

I, Khârn the Bloody, challenge Teetengee to build, paint and base a troop of Chaos Cultists. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

EDIT: My deadline will be April 19.

@200plus: dude that is amazing! *goes online (not out, still sick) to buy sewing pin heads* Although you still leave me curious as to how you're going to improve the hanging. Green stuff hair perhaps? Can't wait to see the end result. :tu:

@stoneheart: first off, that is a beautiful mini right there. Second, about the challenge: you can just go ahead and accept the challenge but alter the models vowed :d It's about finishing something you want, after all. :tu:

@Khârn the Bloody: welcome brother! Awesome that you return challenged teetengee. Make sure you accept his challenge too! Unless you're afraid, but Khârn the Bloody doesn't strike me as a name for someone who eschews challenges ;) :tu:

I come as an Emissary from Escharon to you my lord Khârn the Bloody. I have heard that you desire one of my lords engines of war. He is prepared to treat with you.

I, Teetengee, challenge Khârn the Bloody to build, paint, and base a Daemon Engine. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

A bloody horde of voidborn cultists of the Merciless will be yours to command, if you intend to trade with us.

I will report your will to Drakon.

I, Khârn the Bloody, challenge Teetengee to build, paint and base a troop of Chaos Cultists. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

My lord Escharon finds this trade to be of acceptable terms.

I, Teetengee, accept the challenge set to me by Khârn the Bloody, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing a unit of Chaos Cultists before April 19th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Your red handed soldiers will fight alongside the Tide of Blood.

I, Stoneheart, must decline the challenge sent to me by Uprising. This is because I have already painted the model he has asked me to paint!

I step into the arena in the hope that he may choose a challenge from the following list:

10-man devastator squad

5-man terminator squad

10 man tactical squad

Librarian

Drop Pod

Unto the anvil, brothers.

Stoneheart

You will not escape that easy. 

I, [uprising], challenge [stoneheart] to build, paint, and base [5 man terminators]. If s/he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his/hers. If s/he accepts and fails, s/he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

Anyway nice champions, I just wanted to see it done .  

WOW! Nice work everyone - challenges are being issued, gauntlets are thrown down, and soap bars are being put in socks. 

So far, 37 challenges have been formally accepted. Three are still pending acceptance, and one still needs a deadline. You guys made me realize I should mellow a little concerning the formality of issues and acceptances, but acceptances still really need a deadline.  

@Khârn the Bloody, I kinda figured you accepted teetengee's challenge, but you need to put a deadline in buddy!

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

These frater are still waiting to be challenged. I'd ask The Halifax and Badaab to challenge any of the others, as they have all challenged, but have not been challenged themselves... :thumbsup:  

Aias
AndrewChristlieb
Badaab

GrandMagnus

Grotsmasha

Marqol

Teetengee
TheHalifax
The Psycho

I, Stoneheart, must decline the challenge sent to me by Uprising. This is because I have already painted the model he has asked me to paint!

I step into the arena in the hope that he may choose a challenge from the following list:

10-man devastator squad

5-man terminator squad

10 man tactical squad

Librarian

Drop Pod

Stoneheart

I, [uprising], challenge [stoneheart] to build, paint, and base [5 man terminators]. If s/he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his/hers. If s/he accepts and fails, s/he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

I have no intention of escaping good sir! :wink:

I, Stoneheart, accept the challenge set to me by Uprising, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing a unit of Terminators consisting of 5 models...no more, no less. 5 shall be the number painted - not 1, 2, 3, or 4, but 5. 6 is right out. :tongue.:This challenge must be completed before April 19th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Thanks brother, glad you approve. I look forward to your motivational speech!

10-man devastator squad

5-man terminator squad

10 man tactical squad

Librarian

Drop Pod

Stoneheart

I have no intention of escaping good sir! :wink:

I, Stoneheart, accept the challenge set to me by Khârn the Bloody, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing a unit of Terminators consisting of 5 models...no more, no less. 5 shall be the number painted - not 1, 2, 3, or 4, but 5. 6 is right out. :tongue.:This challenge must be completed before April 19th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Thanks brother, glad you approve. I look forward to your motivational speech!

um... Uprising challenged you....

So, I need to start working on my vow too, as March 15th is approaching quickly.

I vowed to do a True-Scale rendition of 10th Company's First Claw by AD-B,

So! Here we go. I did some research on the equipment of the claw and got some help of the night lords community over at the Murderer's claw thread, then did a quick search through my bits box, some cutting and some green stuffing and here's the first pic (of many).

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/First%20Claw%20WIP_zpscf9nld1h.jpg

Obviously a lot is missing still. I already ordered a Blood Angels sword to represent Aurum. I still need a Terminator Body front with an actual Aquilla to represent Talos' broken torso armour - but cannot seem to find one. Anyone have ideas on how to do an eviscerator (I had two, but damnit I just used 'm for my 'zerkers)...? Also, does anyone know if there's an actual gladius Space Marine bit?

Hope you like!

Some comments on the above :biggrin.:

@Marqol: you're right mate! My bad! Edited the above post.

@Stoneheart: Teetengee's right mate, it was Uprising that challenged you, not Khârn the Bloody! Better edit your post :tu:

@Lucio: Duuuude you're fast. I love that you went for the original red of the 1ksons - great models, great paint scheme. Concerning your intent to vow a bigger unit - remember this event is about quality, not quantity. I'm not saying your unit doesn't look good (in fact those 1ksons look great - so great that I'd like to see more and up-closer pics!) but save the massive amounts for the ETL and try to vow that ultimate miniature you've always wanted to paint - but were saving for when you had all the time and focus in the world. :thumbsup: -Which of course you, like everyone of us, don't have, hence the deadline to help with timing and the support by your challenger to help with focus! :D

@Lucio: Duuuude you're fast. I love that you went for the original red of the 1ksons - great models, great paint scheme. Concerning your intent to vow a bigger unit - remember this event is about quality, not quantity. I'm not saying your unit doesn't look good (in fact those 1ksons look great - so great that I'd like to see more and up-closer pics!) but save the massive amounts for the ETL and try to vow that ultimate miniature you've always wanted to paint - but were saving for when you had all the time and focus in the world. :thumbsup: -Which of course you, like everyone, don't have, hence the deadline to replace time and the support by your challenger to replace focus! :biggrin.:

Yeah, I've been working on getting the best quality I can in the shortest space of time. That said, this still represents 12 hours work all told, 8 hours yesterday since I had a day off to wait for the plumber and another 4 hours this evening.

I'll get some more detailed shots on my WIP post for the unit.

ETL plan currently floating around my head is to open with a Heldrake/Zombie Dragon mashup

And I'm done :smile.:

So yeah, next round, I'm thinking a bigger challenge may be needed..... 35 R&H possibly?

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10135/gallery_81724_10135_1621471.jpg

Great Scott! That was quick sir, I really like how your headpieces came out, it's a fraking pain to paint lines like that and yours look really nice, especially given that it's red and yellow with black lining... esh@!#$ Your metallics are looking pretty good too with a nice even application and the red you got on the armor has a nice grimey chaosy feel to it (with washes I gather from your wip thread). All in all a good looking unit. 

Of course it would be remiss of me in my duties if I didn't nitpick and offer some suggestions! So beware ahead there be spoilers. 

Starting from the bottom. I like your use of materials for the basing, but the grey color peeking through makes it look like either the base itself or the debris on top is unfinished. I would try to paint the top of the base in your ground color to help it blend in. In this case a light brown or tan would make the stones blend into the base better. Also you might look into a finer stone for the base, If it's a desert or rocky terrain you're going for a fine sand can be picked up cheap at most garden shops and would give a more convincing covering. You could then use one or two of the rocks you have here to decorate the base without having the guys ankle deep and still get a rocky feel. Finally I would try and clean up the rims before you're going to paint them. I usually take a fine sand paper and try to smooth the base rim once I'm done to both clean up any over spills and to shave off any lumps that I can. That smooth surface really does make a difference for your paint if you choose to paint them (or you can leave them black to separate the "base" from the "basing".

That was the big one for me, but there are a couple other little nitpicks to help improve them overall. First and this is a big one for me... Purity Seals. There are a few there and that's fine really, but you have a great opportunity with those to do something fun since these are Chaos by twisting them into some sort of "impurity seal". :wink: Maybe make a colorful warp spiral or even paint some spikes on them and then finish them off with some parchment paper and your gods emblem or hate mail etc... That or shave them off, but the other sounds like a lot more fun. :biggrin.: Also a minor modeling thing, but pin vices are pretty cheap and a drilled barrel looks awesome for very little effort. 

Also take a bit of time and run back over them again looking for touch ups, especially with the armor since it's the biggest area. The guy front and center (I think that was your test) has got a pretty big spill over of green from the eyes onto the helmet. While we're on paint try applying your wash to the tabards and laying them on their backs so the wash sinks into the folds instead of pooling at the bottoms. 

Obviously a lot is missing still. I already ordered a Blood Angels sword to represent Aurum. I still need a Terminator Body front with an actual Aquilla to represent Talos' broken torso armour - but cannot seem to find one. Anyone have ideas on how to do an eviscerator (I had two, but damnit I just used 'm for my 'zerkers)...? Also, does anyone know if there's an actual gladius Space Marine bit?

Hope you like!

Heavy chainsword from the HH Legion Mk II, III or IV power weapon sets might work for the eviscerator and there are some gladius (gladiuses? gladii?) in those as well.

I, Brother Black_out, have completed my vow to finish painting and basing 5 Night Raptors of the VIIIth Legio Astartes.

More shots of them can be found in my WIP thread here-http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/302635-what-comes-in-the-nightnight-lords-wip/?p=3954519

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/IMG_1704_zpsq1onj301.jpg

And a shot without flash to show how much darker the armor really is under normal lighting.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee424/tom-asaurusrex/IMG_1710_zps5l0dkog1.jpg

Aw, screw it! Someone challenge me or else I'll flay a random frater alive. Although, being a Night Lord, I'll probably flay someone no matter what. Anyways...

This is what I'm willing to do:

Daemon Prince converted from the Morghast (two, even).

A Helbrute.

Or a Terminator Lord or Sorceror.

EDIT: Or something converted from the Sang Guard kit. I need an excuse to get 'em.

++NOW VIEWING PICT CAPTURE 1938++

++TAKEN AT THE MAGARI CONFLICT++

++TERMINATOR SQUAD KHARIN WITH EPISTOLARY HAGIT WITH LAND RAIDER CRUSADER PRIMARCHS HAND++

++DEPICTED IN ACTION AGAINST THE TRAITOR FORCES OF LORD FARIF THE BLOODIED++

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u382/DG101/IMG_1759_zps4el8yu3x.jpg

HEADS UP guys and girl :wink: 

This event is meant to be fun for all! We can achieve this if everyone who accepts a challenge, also challenges another! :biggrin.:

These frater have accepted a challenge but have NOT issued a challenge themselves:

Brother Heinrich

Brother SP

Bushman101

Firepower

Flint13

helterskelter 

Reinhard

Stoneheart

It is up to the above mentioned frater to not leave the following brothers and possible sisters hanging and CHALLENGE THEM!!

Aias
AndrewChristlieb
Badaab

GrandMagnus

Grotsmasha
helterskelter

Marqol
TheHalifax
The Psycho

If I'm organizing this event again next year (and I'd like to) I'm changing the rules so that challenging someone immediately is mandatory upon entering the Arena! :thumbsup:

Also, Firepower, clear your inbox, buddy! It's so full you can't receive anymore PMs!

Aw, screw it! Someone challenge me or else I'll flay a random frater alive. Although, being a Night Lord, I'll probably flay someone no matter what. Anyways...

This is what I'm willing to do:

Daemon Prince converted from the Morghast (two, even).

A Helbrute.

Or a Terminator Lord or Sorceror.

EDIT: Or something converted from the Sang Guard kit. I need an excuse to get 'em.

I know right. Someone's itching to smack some people upside the head with a lascannon. Namely this poor unpainted fool: :D

15365_1005235609506419_22867955740415452

I, helterskelter, accept the challenge set to me by Marqol, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing a Deredeo before March 15th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

Archived