++// 2015 Augustus' Arena \\++ EVENT ENDED

Well as I thought I already had....

I Brother SP hereby challenge Grotsmasha to paint his afore mentioned Caestus Assault Ram for his own glory and the glory of his chapter by April 19th. Success shall earn him true glory, fail and he must wear the badge of shame till Midsummer

Well as I thought I already had....

I Brother SP hereby challenge Grotsmasha to paint his afore mentioned Caestus Assault Ram for his own glory and the glory of his chapter by April 19th. Success shall earn him true glory, fail and he must wear the badge of shame till Midsummer

I, Grotsmasha, accept the challenge set to me by Brother SP, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing 1x Caestus Assault Ram before  April 19th. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_7152/gallery_48988_7152_226654.jpg

Great Scott! That was quick sir, I really like how your headpieces came out, it's a fraking pain to paint lines like that and yours look really nice, especially given that it's red and yellow with black lining... esh@!#$ Your metallics are looking pretty good too with a nice even application and the red you got on the armor has a nice grimey chaosy feel to it (with washes I gather from your wip thread). All in all a good looking unit. 

Of course it would be remiss of me in my duties if I didn't nitpick and offer some suggestions! So beware ahead there be spoilers. 

Starting from the bottom. I like your use of materials for the basing, but the grey color peeking through makes it look like either the base itself or the debris on top is unfinished. I would try to paint the top of the base in your ground color to help it blend in. In this case a light brown or tan would make the stones blend into the base better. Also you might look into a finer stone for the base, If it's a desert or rocky terrain you're going for a fine sand can be picked up cheap at most garden shops and would give a more convincing covering. You could then use one or two of the rocks you have here to decorate the base without having the guys ankle deep and still get a rocky feel. Finally I would try and clean up the rims before you're going to paint them. I usually take a fine sand paper and try to smooth the base rim once I'm done to both clean up any over spills and to shave off any lumps that I can. That smooth surface really does make a difference for your paint if you choose to paint them (or you can leave them black to separate the "base" from the "basing".

That was the big one for me, but there are a couple other little nitpicks to help improve them overall. First and this is a big one for me... Purity Seals. There are a few there and that's fine really, but you have a great opportunity with those to do something fun since these are Chaos by twisting them into some sort of "impurity seal". :wink: Maybe make a colorful warp spiral or even paint some spikes on them and then finish them off with some parchment paper and your gods emblem or hate mail etc... That or shave them off, but the other sounds like a lot more fun. :biggrin.: Also a minor modeling thing, but pin vices are pretty cheap and a drilled barrel looks awesome for very little effort. 

Also take a bit of time and run back over them again looking for touch ups, especially with the armor since it's the biggest area. The guy front and center (I think that was your test) has got a pretty big spill over of green from the eyes onto the helmet. While we're on paint try applying your wash to the tabards and laying them on their backs so the wash sinks into the folds instead of pooling at the bottoms. 

Well I've gone over the purity seals and tidied up a couple of small splotches of gold and attempted to redo the eye but it appears the socket is a little bit misshapen on the model.

I've put the pictures on my Quintos WIP thread to avoid flooding this one with images.

The robes pooling as intentional, it's supposed to be dirty water running down the heavy fabric of the robes and the base colour contrast was my attempt to represent city concrete with rubble, though probably need some small bricks for that to help and the fluff was smoke pooling in the ruins

Head pieces are a cheat, black undercoat and the colour was applied as thin lines on the ridge, leaving the black line at the edge.

Holy hell Grot. I must know how you made that monster... Its made out of those funny Space Wolf wolf head ship thingies, right?

Yep, and a Storm Talon cockpit. I still need to add the Magna-melta and armour to the centre of the two halves.

Cheers,

Jono

GReat Night Raptors brother! I knew you could get some good results. I see you went for the tattered skin look, which I think is just awesome.

Yep I heeded your advice and am thrilled that I did. It looks much better than if I had gone for a cloth look

My enginseer is still under construction, but the electronics work!

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_8145/med_gallery_63428_8145_50018.jpghttp://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_8145/med_gallery_63428_8145_72700.jpg

I didn't go with red as his robe will be red (albeit very dark red) nor green (too Necron).

Or does anyone think I really, really should go with one of those colours?

I rather like this bright amber LED I have...

um... Uprising challenged you....

That he did, sorry all. Had copied it from a previous poster and forgot to change the name of the challenger! Edited. Thanks for noticing Teetengee :smile.:

Good, now we can began.  This is going to be fun.   

I, Black_out, challenge GrandMagnus to build, paint, and base an Angels of Redemption Combat Squad. If he accepts and completes the challenge, eternal glory will be his. If he accepts and fails, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

Best of luck, brother! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

I, GrandMagnus, accept the challenge set to me by Black_Out, and vow that I will finish building, painting, and basing a Angels of Redemption Combat Squad before the 5th of April. Completion will earn me eternal glory, while failure shall yield me shame until Midsummer.

FOR THE EMPEROR, BROTHER!

http://i.imgur.com/Ec8xUkC.jpg

My 10 Death Company have been posed, fully magnetized (arms and backpacks). I will be making both jump and PA packs. As you can see, I've started priming them, then it's off to an airbrush :>

Awesome new Challenges, updates and even some early completions coming in, guys and girls! Keep it up!

I've put the pictures on my Quintos WIP thread to avoid flooding this one with images.

This is impossibru - I encourage everyone to post as many updates as they desire on this thread. This way, everyone can see your process, provide encouragement and feedback, and enjoy your development! The intent of the event is to let your challenger help you attain a level of painting/modelling that is higher than your current one. Oftentimes, a fresh eye and some friendly advice can help tremendously in improving our hobby skills - this is true for beginners as well as for veteran hobbyists. That's why there's a condition to post at least two WIP pictures in the thread before you post your completion. These WIP pictures allow your challenger to give you feedback, which you can then take home to your paint station and apply to your model - thereby improving your skill AND the quality of your model. Posting WIP pics is giving yourself the opportunity to improve your skills! :thumbsup:

Replies

@AndrewChristlieb: Dude your feedback to Lucio is outstanding. You were positive, constructive, and respectful, and you gave him a LOT of awesome tips. (Hell, it was helpful to me - I'm sanding the edges of my bases before I paint them from now on!) It's exactly the kind of feedback I had in mind when I had the idea for this event. I take my hat off to you! 

@Grotsmasha: Wow, I was wondering when someone would attempt this, and of course it is you! Congrats mate on an impressive start of what promises to be a fantastic conversion.

@Kierdale: Dude that is a creeeeepy guy. I too vote to keep this colour of LED. Fantastic idea!

@Kurama: Those recons are coming along nicely man, keep it up!

Completions

Yes ladies and gentleman, we have two early completions!! Black_out's and Lucio's vows are both finished. I'll leave formal ceremony for March 15th, but I hereby announce a new rule that with each completions you are hereby allowed to challenge an additional frater. Black_out has already taken this up. Which is great because there are still some frater waiting to be challenged:

These frater have accepted a challenge but have NOT issued a challenge themselves:

Brother Heinrich

Bushman101

Firepower

Flint13

Reinhard

Stoneheart

It is up to the above-mentioned frater to not leave the following brothers and possible sisters hanging and CHALLENGE THEM - especially because they have all challenged someone. If you're man or woman enough to accept, you have to be willing to dish it out yourself. That's what the Arena's all about. :wink:

Aias
AndrewChristlieb
Badaab

Marqol
TheHalifax
The Psycho

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

@Kierdale Well, as I said on your WiP thread, very good stuff. How am I, a lowly thing, supposed to coach this?! I know how. We need to keep the synergy up with the paradigm of the astute coordinates! Well, that was easy.

No, seriously, keep the amber lights, I say. Red with green lights/eyes have been done with the Mechanicus for, eh, forever. As the consensus says: amber looks creepy. If creepy isn't the right word for the look, here's another: unique. Somebody may copy that idea but I'd be surprised if they pull it off as well as I know you can. Also, if I may pry, what colour red are you going for with the robes? If I may be so bold as to suggest crimson? Ah, crimson with cream accents as black accents have been done to death.

Keep up the outstanding work, Master Grasshopper!

I'm having school flashbacks here, sitting in the back waiting to be picked... This is why I didn't play sports in high school. That, and the fact that I was no good at them, but I'm sure that wasn't the major factor. Had to have been the psychological trauma of never being picked for teams.

^^Nope, they can't, 'cause Aias has already challenged. Don't worry: right after my last update, I've PM'd the frater who have not challenged the list of unchallenged frater and requested they take up their side of the deal. 

@Andra'Mek: Welcome brother, I'll put you up in the list of unchallenged frater in my next update. :tu:

I, Brother Heinrich, challenge Adra'Melek to complete Adra'Melek, Primarch of the Infernal Guard (counts as Vulkan) by March 10, 2015. Should he accept and complete the challenge, eternal glory will be his. Should he fail, he shall wear the badge of shame until Midsummer.

Good Luck Brother. Excited to see the finished product!

Archived