++// 2015 Augustus' Arena \\++ EVENT ENDED

Started on the base and my brain said "Marines Malevolent would never send as scout if a penal trooper could do the job".

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/meadows88/Mobile%20Uploads/AC561935-BE75-473B-991F-03A4A61A60C6_zpsepjh9ngs.jpg

No idea how to make wire cutters but he's a Catachan, he may have chewed the wire :smile.:

Just a few minor touch ups to fix later down the road, but this one is finished.

Thanks Augustus for running the event and thanks everyone for participating. I'd especially like to thank Dantay, Atia, and Andrew Christlieb, without you I wouldn't been able to enter into the Arena and learn the new skills I did and reinforce the old skills I have.

Looking forward to the event next year :)

Dang, I need to on those Meophytes I guess. And yes I misspelled Neophyte, but I'm keeping it, maybe they're Hello Kitty Neophytes. Just to please brother Firepower. :D

The Stormtalon looks really good, the paint is a bit scuffed up though. They should get that thing back to the Techs so they can respray it. ;)

Grrr, just when I was ready to taunt your apparent laxity, you have to go and paint something. :laugh.:

Looks pretty good.  There seems to be a mold line issue or something on the left leg of the ax man.  Speaking of, it looks like this ax came out a bit better.  The scripture down the middle of the sword helped with your latest power weapon technique, too.  It worked out pretty well.  Not so much on the other sword, but it's a bit late in the game to go back to the Blanchette technique :laugh.:

To clean it up, I'd recommend doubling down on the darker blue near the hilt with the lower edge of the sword.  It's good and strong towards the point on the upper edge, but the lower edge is sorta washed out as a hazy blue-white.  Couldn't hurt to clean up the sudden slice of bright blue on the interior edge of the ax, either.  And in fairness, the slightly warped shape of the resin swords probably isn't making it any easier. 

Liking the plasma glows.  I gotta give hand brushed OSL a go some day.  And the white chest pieces and minimal yellow continues to work well.  I'm on the fence with the face crosses. 

Two new challenges issued and accepted, and one of them already finished! Plus Atia, Mactire and Teetengee completed their challenge. Awesome job all four of you :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Less than a week to go until the final deadline and the end of the event, people!!! :biggrin.: (I'm lucky my order of building bits came in today, so I can start the base of my hell blade!)

UPDATED TO THIS POINT

The Thousand Sons unit is complete, if a bit too late:

http://i62.tinypic.com/13z7v9.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be accepting another challenge to wash away the shame. I'm spending most of my time in bed nowadays due to a viral infection. Oh well, I'll bear the banner of failure in my signature with pride! :biggrin.:

Edit: almost forgot: check my WIP thread for better pictures.

ShVagYer, even though you are late, that's still a very beautiful squad you managed to finish there. Well done! Wear your Mea Culpa with pride and hope to see you next year. :tu:

Teetengee, thanks mate. And well done! Cultists can be a hastle to paint, even though they're really nice mini's. You did it like a boss. (editted and corrected both the update and the record keeping post.)

Well, since I had the camera out for a 'put up or shut up' from Kurgan, figured I might as well get a couple more WIP pics of the Firedrakes. Just have some details to square away (tassels, hammer touch-ups...) and they're complete. (Usual photo apologies: it was spur-of-the-moment.)

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_159736.jpg

http://bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_10505/gallery_80588_10505_138227.jpg

I guess it's time for a little update here. :P

11156243_1040109409352372_92156488518106

I've still got to go back and do some touch ups plus details like eyes and lenses and the bases so these shouldn't hopefully be too much longer till they're complete. Which is good because they have a game Saturday! :D

ONE MORE UNIT IF MY PLEDGE TO GO!!!!

http://i.imgur.com/TmcNPj8.jpg

I have been painting like a beast this week! So much so that the sicaran in the back isn't even part of the pledge and us meant to be done next week but thinking I might get that done too.

Finished iff all my TWC, my dread and the remaining drop pods aswell as this...

http://i.imgur.com/lo2Opmy.jpg

Although you will notice the cockpit canopy is missing.....a new one has been ordered due to a little incident.... :(

Did it break or did you spill somehting on it? Almost all paint comes off the canopies with alcohol. :tu:

Well I tried to tin it with some humbrol clear paint and messed it up a couple of times cleaning it with white spirit...it then got brittle and snapped... :(

What did you use to tint your chaos flyer?

Tamiya Clear Red. Never use white spirit (EVER AGAIN) - as that indeed fracks up plastic (and in time even resin). Alcohol works infinitely better to get acrylics off. 

If you MUST clean painted miniatures that also have been painted with basecoat, use Break Fluid. It's super acidic and dangerous to use (wear BIG and THICK rubber gloves as even its slightest chemical burn will leave your hands looking like those of lepers for two weeks (I speak from experience)), but will strip paint off of metal, finecast, resin, and plastic without damaging it (don't leave resin or finecast in for more than a couple days though, as break fluid will eventually turn that stuff into rubber). :tu:

Apply it thinly, and try to leave the surface horizontally while it dries. It disperses evenly through capillary action. You can add more layers if you think the hue is too light once dried. This takes patience as TC paints need about four hours to dry, but well worth the wait.

Archived