ETL Brief - Blood Angels

Jolemai

Right folks, it's that time of year again. The ETL is upon us.

What is the ETL?

The acronym for E Tenebrae Lux, the ETL originated as a painting challenge put forth by the Dark Angels sub-forum. This has since blossomed into a full on, inter-forum painting competition whereby an individual vows a legal unit (or units) for a particular faction and has to paint them to completion (in the owners eyes) within a three month time frame. The faction with the most points painted is crowned the winner earning eternal glory (special signatures, etc) and a year's worth of bragging rights.

ETL I can be found here.

ETL II can be found here.

ETL III can be found here.

Our Heritage

As you all know, Blood Angels and their Successors study the arts. Our extended lifespan allows us to pursue and master the finer things in life and it is often remarked how exquisite the works of our artisans are. Certainly our preponderance for Artificer Armour, master-crafted weaponry, tapestries and so on show this off and back in the real world, some of the best painted models on the B&C are Blood Angels.

In the previous painting challenge, the Librarium challenge (which is currently on permanent hiatus) our faction had a long and distinguished roll of honour whereby we won the event year ofter year. However, sadly this hasn't transferred into the ETL.

• In ETL I we finished fifth (out of seven participants).
  • In ETL II we finished fifth (out of eight participants).
  • In ETL III we finished seventh (out of eight participants).

The ETL IV

Captain Semper has already hinted that the challenge window and basic rules will be the same as last year. This means that we can assume the following:

• Challenge window 01/05/15 - 01/08/15, however, you must submit your first vow before 01/06/15.
  • Maximum vows to be five. A new one can be made once you have completed the previous one. Any uncompleted vows nullify your entire points haul.
  • All models to be a legal Codex entry and WYSIWYG.
  • Two images - an unpainted/primed one and a completed one - are all the evidence you need. These will need to be posted in the Strategium thread when it goes live.

What Can I Do?

• Basically, we have a month to get ready. Use this time to plan your vow(s) into manageable chunks and then get them finished model-wise and primed. For example, paint all your gold models as one vow, your black models as another, vehicles as one, etc.
  • If you are magnetising, vow the expensive choice! Also, things like hunter-killer missiles count as they are WYSIWYG so add them to your vehicles even if it's via blu-tac!
  • Raid your bits box for a bolt pistol, plasma pistol and enough parts to make a marine. Congrats, you now have a counts-as Cypher and that's 190 points for our forum. (A guide for using him with C:BA can be found here and yes, I still need to update it following the new Codex and recent BRB FAQ).
  • Things like Mastery Level 2, Extra Armour, etc, won't count towards a vow as generally, they can't be WYSIWYG.
  • Remember that the level of completion is what you are comfortable with. For example, my gaming group requires a minimum of three base colours and for the model to be based in order for it to be considered battle ready. That's as far as I'll be going, though I may throw in some detail if needed (seriously - I can shade, and highlight when I have more time).

In short, take up your paint brush and take up the challenge laid down by the PCA forum to bring honour to our Faction. We are the sons of Sanguinius; it's time to once again make our father proud.

So far, I'm considering vowing a squad of Sanguinary Guard, Captain in TDA, Drop Pod, Librarian in TDA, Terminator Squad, some Death Company and a Bike Squad...

The good news: I was an Oath Breaker last year biting off way more than I could possibly chew. Within this calendar year however I have been able to paint and complete challenges in the Augustus Arena teaching me two things: I can paint! and it takes me roughly 1 hour to complete 1 space marine.

The news news: I have this list of unfinished models.

The bad news: There are so many that I don't know which to select and paint...However considering the characters on that list and the time it takes me to paint 1 space marine...my challenges may be character centric.

with that, FOR THE ANGEL!

well, failing last year will be an incentive to sort myself out. 2 boxes of Deathstorm will provide models. May even dig out a half-built Landraider Crusader that got primed 5 years ago and crack that off too... Time to arrange to borrow a spray-gun and compressor i think!

The good news: I was an Oath Breaker last year biting off way more than I could possibly chew. Within this calendar year however I have been able to paint and complete challenges in the Augustus Arena teaching me two things: I can paint! and it takes me roughly 1 hour to complete 1 space marine.

The bad news: There are so many that I don't know which to select and paint...However considering the characters on that list and the time it takes me to paint 1 space marine...my challenges may be character centric.

Group them up. For example, I would consider painting the Razorbacks and Baals at the same time, matching colours on other models (such as the Sanguinary Guard and Dante if they are the same), and so on. I know it can be daunting (my painting queue it pretty large too) but with planning, it can be doable.

Maybe even start of small with the first vow and then go nuts with the subsequent ones?

well, failing last year will be an incentive to sort myself out. 2 boxes of Deathstorm will provide models. May even dig out a half-built Landraider Crusader that got primed 5 years ago and crack that off too... Time to arrange to borrow a spray-gun and compressor i think!

I still proudly bear my first Oath Breaker tag as a reminder to a) complete the damn thing and b ) as a motivation to not have another one added. It certainly helped me complete my vow in ETL III despite moving house and renovating the old one!

I'm planning on pledging for the Blood Angels forum this year with a successor chapter I'm working on.

I've got some death company going, a drop pod, a tac squad to build, and plans for a kitbashed Vanguard Vet Squad. I might try my hand at a counts as Astorath.

I'm planning on pledging for the Blood Angels forum this year with a successor chapter I'm working on.

I've got some death company going, a drop pod, a tac squad to build, and plans for a kitbashed Vanguard Vet Squad. I might try my hand at a counts as Astorath.

Excellent, seems we may well have a good start this year!

As you're running/making a Successor Chapter, can I interest you in putting a small piece of text here?

Group them up. For example, I would consider painting the Razorbacks and Baals at the same time, matching colours on other models (such as the Sanguinary Guard and Dante if they are the same), and so on. I know it can be daunting (my painting queue it pretty large too) but with planning, it can be doable.

Maybe even start of small with the first vow and then go nuts with the subsequent ones?

the problem with that though is intelectual boredome. It happened while i was doing my assault marines.

Excellent, seems we may well have a good start this year!

As you're running/making a Successor Chapter, can I interest you in putting a small piece of text here?

I've been following that thread and thinking long and hard about it. My creativity has been failing me, though. I can't think of any really unique way my chapter deploys their Death Company.

Oh man, I'm finally in!  I've read through people's submissions over the years, but I've never done one myself.  Now, I'm prepping for a few things and NEED to get to painting - might as well get double credit!

Question - I'm updating a few units and am only painting one or two guys (death co. with power axe, for example).  Does that qualify?  I am doing entirely new units as well, just want to get an idea (at work, will read rules more thoroughly later).

Cheers!

-Orogen

Also, love the idea about blue-tacking HK missiles... I want a Rhino with a few dozen on there!

Spirit foul, but whatevs.

Oh man, I'm finally in!  I've read through people's submissions over the years, but I've never done one myself.  Now, I'm prepping for a few things and NEED to get to painting - might as well get double credit!

Question - I'm updating a few units and am only painting one or two guys (death co. with power axe, for example).  Does that qualify?  I am doing entirely new units as well, just want to get an idea (at work, will read rules more thoroughly later).

Cheers!

-Orogen

Also, love the idea about blue-tacking HK missiles... I want a Rhino with a few dozen on there!

Spirit foul, but whatevs.

Hey Orogen,

ETL rules state that it has to be codex viable. So if you have min 5 DC marines to paint then they can count in the ETL, but not additions to a squad.

I mainly hang out in the RG and BT forums, but my love of the new BA book has landed me playing them, so I will most likely pledge a Libby dread, two furious dreads, and a mess of tanks. Now to get them all primed...

Hey Orogen,

ETL rules state that it has to be codex viable. So if you have min 5 DC marines to paint then they can count in the ETL, but not additions to a squad.

Rock on, thanks!  *looks at codex*  Drat!!  I was thinking I could just do a few more, but the 3man death co. squad is no more.  Oh well, I have plenty to do as it is (command squad, bikes, etc).  I'll finish magnetizing here in the interim and I'll be ready!

-Orogen

Why can't Mastery Level 2 count? I did them last year because there is a difference between the Codicier and Epistolary. It is the difference between the Halo and the Skull being added in when painting them. If we go through the trouble of painting in these tiny skulls on their robes I think that should count for the points. 

I'm confused above Jolemai stated: 

"Captain Semper has already hinted that the challenge window and basic rules will be the same as last year. This means that we can assume the following:

Challenge window 01/05/15 - 01/08/15, however, you must submit your first vow before 01/06/15.". It is already past January? or am I being stupid and the month is in the middle and the day on the left. My apologies if so.... heh I've never done a pledge but i would love to now. May I use an Imperial knight towards BA ETL?

CupCake, think it's these darn Europeans again!  I had to think that through at first glance as well, but May 1 - Aug 1 is my reading.  Wouldn't much help to have a painting contest run 3 days.

Cheers!

-Orogen

Archived