General Brush Use and Care

From others experience, what brushes are the best bang for your buck?

I believe Ichiban has released some brushes not too long ago too, how do those compare?

I've said before to others - very good brushes. Can't compare to W&N 7 as I've not got any recently, but I'm very happy with all the Games and Gears/Ichiban brushes from recent time. Quality brushes, easy to hold and manoeuvre, good weight to them. Different to a lot of others from past!

I still do very much like GW brushes - they do the bulk of my work, with the Ichibans doing the absolute finest detail. I would describe them as my 'work horse' brushes, but only in a positive, endearing way. If you choose a one with a good point and treat them well with cleaner, any brush will be a good servant :)

That said, if there will be a more premium range - even better! I'm hoping like the 'eavy Metal ones becoming standard. I'd definitely buy more. One can never have enough brushes :)

Like Ace said, Winsor and Newton Series 7 is an amazing collection of brushes. Definitely worth the money. Changing to these brushes opened a whole new world of possibility for my detail painting (see: faces).

They are expensive, but in the simple world of bang:buck ratios, they're tops. But you need to know how to treat them. Proper brush respect and maintenance is always a must, but all the more important when you're spending $15+ per brush. thumbsup.gif

Like Ace said, Winsor and Newton Series 7 is an amazing collection of brushes.  Definitely worth the money.  Changing to these brushes opened a whole new world of possibility for my detail painting (see: faces).  

They are expensive, but in the simple world of bang:buck ratios, they're tops.  But you need to know how to treat them.  Proper brush respect and maintenance is always a must, but all the more important when you're spending $15+ per brush. :tu:

Are there a certain three you would recommend? Obviously getting the whole set would probably drive me bankrupt haha.

What is proper maintenance involve? I am a peasant and use only water, though I've heard others use specialized brush cleaner...is that what you were talking about or do I need to sacrifice rams and draw evil sigils to appease the brush's machine spirit?

I use OO and OOO. As for maintenence, I haven't used brush soap as yet, but I intend on getting some soon.

Depends on the precision you want. Although this is getting far off topic from GW brush rumors and into basic p&M discussion. Perhaps the conversation should be moved, or another thread should be started in the General Questions subforum?

For W&N brushes, I use a 0 and a 000. I think I may be better off with a 1 than a 0, since I use it for less precise work.

That cleaner you were talking about is this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71gpDOVodlL._SX425_.jpg

Basic rules for brush etiquette:

Do all you can to make sure the paint never goes up the the base of the brush hairs.

When using water, briskly shake the brush in the jar/cup/shot glass, rather than rubbing/smearing the bristles along the edges or bottom.

Metallic paints are for your cheap brushes. They don't play nice.

Cold water only for washing. Hot water causes expansion, which means problems.

Don't use that soap after every painting. If your basic cleaning/use is kind enough, you'll only need to soap it every now and then. Instructions for how to use it are written on the dish.

Store/put away brushes pointing up. I have no idea why, I just heard a pro or two make this suggestion :lol:

And obviously, when painting, be gentle. Jabbing brushes into nooks and crannies, for instance, is very mean.

Apologize to the brushes frequently, even if you haven't done anything wrong. Take them out to dinner once in a while. Sometimes a movie. Just let them know you love them. wub.png

And then, when they're old and frayed, put them to work with the crappier jobs and find yourself a fresh young replacement. ;)

I have sinned against my brushes. I didn't know not to rub them gently on the side of the water pot- no one told me ohmy.png!

From this day forward, no more of that business. It's only a shake happy.png!

On topic, are these brushes going to be a revamp of the ones they have now and not a limited edition or are they going to be like the 'eavy Metal ones and be in cases?

Interestingly a 1 is actually better for super detailing than a smaller brush. The reason for this is two fold. Because the bristles are longer, they can come to a finer point than the shorter 0 and below brushes. Secondly when you need to paint with a very small amount of paint the larger brush holds more paint in the "reservoir" part. This is the where the brush gets thicker before going into the handle. This keeps the tip wet longer and ensure you get the amount of paint you want on the area without having to keep dipping in the paint over and over. 

As for care, everyone's suggestions so far are good, but I'll add my own as well.

• Always clean your brush regularly while painting. It's better to waste some paint than to have paint dry on your brush. 
  • When storing it, store it upright and once you're satisfied that it's clean from the water, run it through the corner of your mouth. This ensures that it keeps it's nice pointy tip when it dries. 
  • I use pink soap to clean my brushes, depending on use about once week to two weeks. 
  • If you do end up with some dried paint on the brush dip it in Mr Retarder and then carefully and gently wipe it on a paper towel as you would to get excess water off of it.  Do this until there is no more color. Then rinse with water. 
  • Never, never, EVER dry brush with it. Use a cheap garbage brush for this duty as it will fray and bend the bristles, never to return to their original shape. 
  • change your water regularly, especially after using metallics. 

Everyone else covered the rest. With good care and maintenance they will last you for years. (yes I said years ;) )

Also never ever accidently grab your good Regiment brush to take excess pools of quickshade off your miniature. Believe me...

Honestly there's not many brushes I need to get. Maybe a new wash brush but with that soap cleaner Firepower showed my regular brushes have been lasting longer than they use to.

Oh, I forgot. A big one. A real big one.

Keep super glue away from the brushes!

I had my W&N 0 on my desk, was gluing together my Neophytes, dipping a paperclip in a reservoir and using the tip for precise application. Evidently, a string of it fell on to the bristles at one point or another. Just enough to harden up one side a bit, and I managed to flex it out so that I can hardly tell it happened now, but still, that takes a lot of time off its lifespan, even if it still works. sad.png

As a bonus, I have one more reason to despise Neophytes. laugh.png

And one more reason I should finally cave in and buy a new W&N 1. teehee.gif

For those who use W&N brushes, apart from the Series 7's can you recommend any of their other brushes, maybe from the Acrylic line?

That or any other series of brush, really.

I'm on the market for some new brushes but sadly, My student budget doesn't really permit me spending 100+ $ on a new set of brushes (As of right now.) 

I don't see much point in that much $ spent on a set.  I just have 2 W&N brushes that come to $30-$40, with smaller brushes costing less.  For bigger jobs, cheapo brushes work fine.  I used nothing but cheapo brushes for years.  I only just got into W&N brushes like...a year ago, give or take.

I have a W&N S7 sizes 0 and 00.  I have come to realize I need to order a size 1 as well for many purposes, as the 0 is too small in those cases.

I agree with a lot of what Firepower and Acebaur have said about brush care.  I'd go so far as to recommend a 2-chamber water pot - rinse it in the first chamber, and then in the second.  You will understand why when you see how dirty the first side gets and realizing that the water has all that paint suspended in it.  You can't fully clean a brush in dirty water, can you?  If you can't see the bottom, change the water.

I use Masters Brush Soap at the end of every session, and sometimes more often.  The key to knowing when it's needed is to examine your bristles between colors.  A clean brush should not have the color of any paint you've just used - if it does, some may have dried on the bristles.  Wash it off with brush soap now, rather than later.

Definitely don't scrub the brush along the bottom of your water pot - you'll ruin the bristles quickly.  And storing them point-up keeps them from resting on the bristles when not in use.  I go so far as to replace the clear tip protector when I'm not painting.

Never use your good Kolinsky brushes for drybrushing, metallics, varnish or Quick Tones.  Average-quality brushes do fine for washes and the rest of what I've mentioned (though I still prefer natural bristles for all purposes).

For those who use W&N brushes, apart from the Series 7's can you recommend any of their other brushes, maybe from the Acrylic line?

That or any other series of brush, really.

I'm on the market for some new brushes but sadly, My student budget doesn't really permit me spending 100+ $ on a new set of brushes (As of right now.)

So then buy a 1 and a 0 W&N for like 40 bucks and then for the rest of the brushes you may need buy cheap ones. Shouldn't really need more than 4 brushes or so, especially when two of them are W&Ns ;)

I've used both their Sceptre Gold 2s and Cotman brushes. I use them for metallics, and only use my Series 7s for non-metallic colors.

I will also echo the sentiments above that you have to make sure to clean brushes properly. Also, be sure to protect your bristles, either with tip covers the brushes come with or make some new ones with flexible tubing (especially if it can slide over the the back of the brush, as that way you should be able to totally avoid splitting or otherwise messing up the bristles of the brush).

If your looking for good quality brushes you can get them direct from a maker by visiting rosemary and co website. They only sell direct so no mark up.

My W&N 000 does the job.

My W&N's are sneering derisively, and not at me for a change. laugh.png

Out of interest: for painting (human) eyes, what size would you recommend?

I use my 1

I was hoping for a consensus - just means I have to buy two brushes now, cheers :lol:

Not a problem, the obvious answer really is I need to try and find what works for me. I normally use either the GW Fine Detail or a 00 from Games and Gears, but it's hard to know how that actively compares, and I know W&N have longer bristles. Might just buy a couple and see what works best.

Unsure if anyone else did, but I backed the Wamp Kickstarter which should mean I get a few more brushes in June, I think there are two 0s (one long bristled and one short), and a 1 and a 3. Gives me more options in future at the least.

You always want longer bristles. They hold more paint and therefore keep the tip wet longer.  

Definitely buy some W&N, you will not regret it. 

Probably a silly question: what's the difference between the standard Series 7 and the Miniature ones? I'm assuming the former are just larger, and that I want the latter? I can't seem to see somewhere that explains the exact difference, and didn't want to buy the wrong ones.

From looking more thoroughly, it seems that they've generally got slightly shorter bristles, but am unsure if even with that they'd be better for painting generally in terms of detail. Size wise, if you've used both, which is more akin to the length of the GW handles, the Miniature?

If you want brush soap on a budget

Fairy green household soap also does the job

It's amazing how that, and the masters stuff, can regenerate an old knackered brush

Even the most battered and caked up drybrush can be brought back to life

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5162xf9dxBL._SX300_.jpg

You always want longer bristles. They hold more paint and therefore keep the tip wet longer.  

While generally true, I have to say that since I started using flow improver, I have very little trouble with the tip of my 000 drying up with paint still on the tip.  However, keeping the paint away from the bristles' base is a real challenge.

Archived