[HH1.0] The Sons of Barbarus : A Death Guard Tactica Thread

What do we think of my new 4k list I'm working to? Just need one more malcador and the lascannon dread and I'm good to go.

4k reaping

Rask

M.o.s aa,RF

2x tact squad. Srg aa, rad, mb, power axe and vox

Rhino with mm

2x 5man lascannon squad. Srg aa, as

2x 5man volkite culvetin. Srg aa, as

Mortis contemptor with khernes

Mortis contemptor with lascannons

2 rapier mortars with shatter

2 medusa with extra armour

Dreadeao with autocannons, missiles and armour cementite.

2x malcador. Battle cannon,demo cannon, lascannons, pintle mm, flare shield

Typhoon, armour cementite

Be happy to show you 3 and 4k lists I run. I started with bigger squads but found that the split firer of double small squads seemed to be more effective especially if lots of targets.as much fun as rolling 40 dice for the culverins is lol.

I also bring medusas, mortars, and dreads etc to bolster fire power. Always max out the heavy slots

That's true, splitting up some squads could definitely help (and avoid overkill!). I think the Volkites would definitely be the fun factor more than anything too! Interesting to see your list to contextualise this!

What do we think of my new 4k list I'm working to? Just need one more malcador and the lascannon dread and I'm good to go.

4k reaping

Rask

M.o.s aa,RF

2x tact squad. Srg aa, rad, mb, power axe and vox

Rhino with mm

2x 5man lascannon squad. Srg aa, as

2x 5man volkite culvetin. Srg aa, as

Mortis contemptor with khernes

Mortis contemptor with lascannons

2 medusa with extra armour

Dreadeao with autocannons, missiles and armour cementite.

2x malcador. Battle cannon,demo cannon, lascannons, pintle mm, flare shield

Typhoon, armour cementite

I think I might just worry about scoring, but then six units and forty bodies could still be quite flexible! That said, it's not as much as I'd be used to - but the fire output and number of templates would be incredible! Have you used something similar? Also, I've not seen anyone use a Malcador before, so having two of them would be really different from what I've seen previously. Be very keen to hear how this plays!

The malcadors are a new thing to me. Got one I'm painting now so will be appearing in the next game. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll show you my recent go to 4k list too. It's played few games and utterly destroyed both a alpha legion and iron warriors(with Ferris) to the point both gave up with minimal casualties. There is 6 troops so not worried about scoring. In fact if nothing lives I don't need to worry either lol

Reaping 4k

Calas

Rask

M.o.s aa, RF

Mortis with khernes

2 mortars with shatter

1 mortar with shatter

2x12 marines. Srg aa,rad,axe,mb and vox

2x5 lascannons . Srg aa as

2x5 volkite culvetin. Srg aa as

Leviathan. Melta Lance, drill, volkite,phosphex,AC

2x medusas. Extra armour

8 wardens 7 chain fist. Spartan.ac and flare shield

Typhoon. AC

• 3 weeks later...

I like it LtDan! How often does the Leviathan survive to get close? It's definitely a very different sort of list to what I'd normally play - so always good to contrast Rites and lists! 

I've now upped my Grave Wardens to ten-strong, so tempted to give them a good go imminently if I can. Whether that'll be in either my Orbital Strike list or for the Reaping, I'm not too sure just yet - but I'm conscious that both builds should provide different mechanisms for getting them where they are needed. 

Tbh he has never died before cc. He always walks. Last game he punched a Spartan and killed it first hit and then went toe to toe with Ferrus and 5 chainfist terms for 4 rounds before he died lol..... Then again there was nothing left of the rest of the iron hands by then hahaha just Ferrus.

• 3 weeks later...
So my deathguard are expanding further to almost the 10k point. (7500 fully painted) does anyone use many other row apart from our own and pride that find fun?? I've prob got enough dreads for a fury list any thing else?? More fun then competitive

Expansion sounds very cool LtDan - what are you adding?

As I’ve stated previously, I tend to nearly always gravitate to Creeping Death over any other (hence now wanting Orbital Assault and a dedicated Reaping list for variety!). I would definitely be interested to hear of others utilising alternative Rites too: I love the thought of a Dread only list via Fury, although my understanding of the mechanics means narrative games are probably best suited (perhaps against an infantry heavy list without too much AT, if one could set that up).

Pride is definitely appropriate for ZM: are there any we haven’t considered?

I've finished the pair of malcadors, a legion Mortis(autocannons), dual fist contemptor. Got a lightning washed(first air in heresy for me). Pair of rhinos, a damocles, Scorpios, Proteus, squad of vets with combi flamers, plasma cannon support squad, heavy flamer squad, another contemptor with chainfist and last cannon, another medusa(makes the squad up to three). O and a converted mortarian...... Not too much hahaha

Have thought about a fury list. Got three boxnaughts. Three contemptor a leviathan and dreadaeo. So prob need a few more. Pride in zm Def works best. I'm still yet to try creeping death as don't see is benefits that good? Can you change my mind on that?

Plenty then! I think that might work for a Fury list, although perhaps you may want more for additional Talons? We could certainly look at possible lists: I’d like to use my Deredeos at some point, and they’d add an alternative shape to the visual aesthetic as well as anti-air capability.

RE: Creeping Death - I think I like it due to the lack of limitations, and the type of lists I tend to use that make it viable. Troop-heavy, slogging lists benefiting from possible cover (and Apothecaries!), and playing to the typical fluff around our Legion (with Medusas and Quads) adds to the theme. I’ve rarely played on forest boards mind, but I think it generally covers everything I have needed. Naturally, the Reaping can also accommodate similar lists, but I’ve not needed those additional support or Heavy squads, so is just something a bit different! Might just be something to try depending on your list composition, as an alternative.

I love bring the heavy weapons squads so reaping always fit my style with deathguard. I can see the cover save being of use on a more open board.

My dreadeao comes out to play ever other game maybe and performs OK. Never a real wow. But good at killing the few fire raptors he sees. Last game I played raven guard and brought him. Didn't do much really as it was all infiltrating power armour lol.

• 1 month later...

I’m thinking through a 1500pts list for an upcoming doubles game that’ll probably use something like the Centurion mode of play. I think it’ll be really fun with Death Guard, but always hard to cram fun things into so few points!

So far, I’m leaning towards a Praetor with Deathshroud, and then am starting to get tempted by standard Phopshex Quads, a couple of Tactical or Veteran Squads, and maybe a single Dread for either fire support or combat potential? I wondered if anyone else had played at this points level recently and had any thoughts? I’d like to bring out the Volkites, but they’re not painted yet... Any advice is welcomed!

• 2 months later...

So my relentless brothers, how DO you find all infantry armies working for you?

Going to a narrative event and tempted to run DG... But I'm strictly against any type of vehicle that doesn't walk to really push the narrative!

Any help with Infantry armies? How do you make them function? Any must-haves?

Got a thread for it here..

But currently thinking of this, got around 400pts left to hit 3K...!

Mortarion

-RoW: The Reaping

Master of Signal

-Artificer

Siege Breaker

-Artificer, Meltabombs

2 Apothecarys

-Augury Scanners

Contemptor Cortus

-Deadfist, Chainfist, 2x Grav Guns

2 Quad-Launchers

-Phosphex Shells

Tactical Squad

14 Dudes, extra CCQ, Vexilla

Sergeant w/ Artificer Rad Grenades, Power Scythe

Tactical Squad

14 Dudes, extra CCQ, Vexilla

Sergeant w/ Artificer Rad Grenades, Power Scythe

Heavy Support Squad

10 Missile Launchers

Sergeant w/ Artificer, Augury Scanner

Heavy Support Squad

5 Lascannons

Sergeant w/ Artificer, Augury Scanner

Grave Wardens

10 Dudes, 4 Chainfists

Sergeant w/ Rad Grenades

Aegis Defense Line

Edited by Charlo

Shatter shells on mortars

Mainly thinking about things like AV14 with Flare Shield :tongue.:

Then take Contemptor-Cortus with Grav-guns.

And Grav-cannons.

Hmm yeah true, they fit the theme I'm going for too. I've got one Cortus in the list but could do another I suppose, add to the redundancy.

How about adding some Cataphracti Deathshroud to the mix? I feel like a block of them would be tough to shift and are perfectly legal, only fearing the likes of Thanatars and stronger blasts etc.

Shatter shield always do work. Yes against that you will struggle. But if you position a few you will hit side. Then tank hunting lascannons(w siege breaker). Leviathan with melta Lance and drill? Dual grav cortus.

Shatter shells on mortars

Mainly thinking about things like AV14 with Flare Shield :tongue.:
Then take Contemptor-Cortus with Grav-guns.

And Grav-cannons.

Hmm yeah true, they fit the theme I'm going for too. I've got one Cortus in the list but could do another I suppose, add to the redundancy.

How about adding some Cataphracti Deathshroud to the mix? I feel like a block of them would be tough to shift and are perfectly legal, only fearing the likes of Thanatars and stronger blasts etc.

And they should work very well in the terminator removing department.