Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IHF's Archive: Sketching the Heresy - Status Update

Artwork Mechanicum Legions Knights

• Please log in to reply
499 replies to this topic

Checkmate

Checkmate

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 81 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders

Those look really cool.

I might have to try and convert some of those grenadiers when I eventually get back to my steel legion.

L_T_3_2017_Badge_01_Centurion.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpgETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_05.g

Lord Thørn

Lord Thørn

++ CUNICULARIUS APOLOGUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,196 posts
  • Faction: Heretic Astartes (various)

Those coloured sketches are awesome ! If these existed as plastic models I'd be sorely tested !

depthcharge12

depthcharge12

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,561 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Ist Legion
Looks like FW was catching on to your Sicaran/tank ideas! Did you see the new punisher/Sicaran/plasma variants? :D
Sons of Horus painting log (3000+ points & Horus)

http://www.bolterand...rus-plog-horus/

Scars of Rangdan, Dark Angels Legion:

http://www.bolterand...79#entry4575179

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts
  • Faction: Xth Legion

Those look really cool.

I might have to try and convert some of those grenadiers when I eventually get back to my steel legion.

Oh, rad - I can't imagine collecting Steel Legion is the easiest thing in the world, so that's awesome to hear

Those coloured sketches are awesome ! If these existed as plastic models I'd be sorely tested !

Thanks dude - the fact that you could see them as plastic minis is exactly what I'm going for

Looks like FW was catching on to your Sicaran/tank ideas! Did you see the new punisher/Sicaran/plasma variants? biggrin.png

Ha, I wouldn't necessarily go that far, but yeah I have seen them. To be honest, I wasn't exactly convinced when I first saw them - I still think the plasma version's guns are a bit too big & not particularly mobile, but I've warmed to the other two, despite initial misgivings about the appropriateness of the missile launcher & the weight distribution on the punisher's weapon mount.

In light of the new Sicaran variants, I'm gonna review my own designs & probably remove a few whose' purpose is now kinda redundant. The three I'm probably keep / refine are the 'Advancer' Scout / Command Transport, I'll be altering the Lanius so it's tri-barreled Volkite Cascade is now a single large weapon that will use the punisher's mount, and an air-defence variant using the new missile launcher twin-mount

• depthcharge12 and Checkmate like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,364 posts

No need to remove them, they're still great and could simply be a variation on the more prominent design of the others!

Now where are them 9th legion units at? ;)

Sepher

Sepher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Now where are them 9th legion units at? msn-wink.gif

No units for legions without official ForgeWorld units.

Which kills me, as I love the fluff for everything IHF's done so far but I need me some black and red Angels.

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

No need to remove them, they're still great and could simply be a variation on the more prominent design of the others!

I mean, I could keep them, but then again PURGE THE UNCLEAN CONSTRUCTS

Which kills me, as I love the fluff for everything IHF's done so far but I need me some black and red Angels.

Wait, wait, wait. Someone was listening? All these years? Each time I refused requests and explained why I wouldn't be doing something?

I thought this day would never come - honestly, I was pretty sure people only looked at the pictures msn-wink.gif

• fire golem likes this

Sepher

Sepher

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Haha the picture are wonderful but I love the fluff bits behind your work. My blackshields band is composed of Night Lords and Dark Angels who fled Thramas together so there's some Alastor Seekers in the ranks and they're led by a flenser-apothecary, but what about the Dark Angels?

I need Angelus already.

marine7312000

marine7312000

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,520 posts
  • Faction: IX Legion, 263 Company

Wait, wait, wait. Someone was listening? All these years? Each time I refused requests and explained why I wouldn't be doing something?

I thought this day would never come - honestly, I was pretty sure people only looked at the pictures msn-wink.gif

You saying this a while back is only reason I haven't been continuously pestering you for BA stuff. I saved the stuff you did do locally and will eventually break out the GS to attempt it.

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpggallery_62972_10568_24083.jpggallery_48988_10980_7442.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

http://www.bolterand...pany-the-sworn/

The Blood Angels are the Renaissance in power armour, with all of that majesty, splendour, and ingenuity turned anaemic by vampirism... with a mandate to conquer the galaxy on wings of iron and fire. They're paladins with sacred weapons and beauteous facemasks, crying out in inhuman choirs for the taste of their enemies' blood.

JackDaw: ah the Emperors Children are too fancy for beards. The Ninth however, well, beards are sent straight from heaven.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,364 posts
Ah sorry man, my bad. Well when you get to them I'm excited for it!

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Haha the picture are wonderful but I love the fluff bits behind your work. My blackshields band is composed of Night Lords and Dark Angels who fled Thramas together so there's some Alastor Seekers in the ranks and they're led by a flenser-apothecary, but what about the Dark Angels?

I need Angelus already.

That's awesome - glad you think they work in the setting, adhering to the style set out in FW's HH books is a pretty significant goal in all this stuff

You saying this a while back is only reason I haven't been continuously pestering you for BA stuff. I saved the stuff you did do locally and will eventually break out the GS to attempt it.

Huh, that sounds awesome - let me know whenever you give that a go

Ah sorry man, my bad. Well when you get to them I'm excited for it!

Nah, I was just kidding dude - I know this thread can be a bit of a PITA to find stuff in, so don't worry about it

Waiting for Angelus is kinda essential for this stuff, considering how much it's informed by the FW Books & the ways they present & detail the Legions - with the tendency to put different spins on themes we're familiar with, they open up entirely new avenues for exploration

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Nothing big, just a couple of miscellaneous Night Lords characters doodled during this assignment deadline hell I'm in:

gallery_53779_9225_105326.jpg

• Lord Commander Eidolon, Reyner, fire golem and 7 others like this

malika666

malika666

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,556 posts
Was kinda wondering whatever happened to you! Very curious to see what you'll design next!

Bits Blitz - the place to be for all your bits needs!

Troll Forged Miniatures

Sciror

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Hey folks, for anyone who doesn't follow my vehicle design thread, I'll be going on a bit of a design hiatus:

Hey folks, said I'd keep y'all updated on how the job application was progressing, and today I got word that my application has been declined.

I'm not super surprised, this was always a bit on a wing & a prayer. It does however mean that I'll likely stop putting time into designs like these, or do them *very* occasionally - previously I could justify the time expenditure as being portfolio work for future job applications but from now on I'll really have to dedicate the time to commission works and less specific portfolio stuff, as this route into concept art seems pretty firmly closed to me now.

Anyway, thanks for following my stuff over the years, it's been really encouraging to see people enjoying my work, and probably helped me make the final decision to try for a career in art after I'd firmly turned away from it.

I'll keep these threads open, cause there's a *chance* I'll eventually do more stuff that's relevant to them, but either way, thanks for all the kind words over the years

• Viridia, Ugolino, Kizzdougs and 1 other like this

Kizzdougs

Kizzdougs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,953 posts
  • Faction: III Legion

I'm sorry to hear that bro. You'll definitely be missed around here. I know that your work has inspired a lot of people over the years, so thank you for everything that you've done and thank especially for sharing it with us :)

Wishing you all the best for the future :tu:

• Pearson73 likes this

The Sekhmet plus Emperor's Children and general 30k | Word Bearers plus general 40k | Instagram: @raptorimperialis

ETL_VI_Badge_Artisan_Master.jpg ETL_2014_Badge_V2_11_Honour.jpg ETL_Medal_06.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_3130.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.png ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif ETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

gallery_11038_675_366.png

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Thanks Kizz, that's real nice to hear - I'll still be about on the forum, I just won't really be doing designs like these much, but I'm sure I'll use it as a creative outlet every now & then. Might even give me a chance to work on my homebrew Clan's background article now that they're (...maybe msn-wink.gif  ) canon

Either way, I'll see ya 'round happy.png

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Accidentally did some concept sketches when i was bereft of my graphics tablet & therefore had to do some traditional art - idle doodles ended up as some designs for the Emperor's Children Sun-Killer Devastators I did rules / background for a while back, really just 'cause EC armour is pretty fun to draw and it was cool to apply their styling to some MkII:

gallery_53779_9225_1538226.png

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic, 15 April 2018 - 09:02 PM.

• Lord Commander Eidolon, depthcharge12, Pearson73 and 9 others like this

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,364 posts

Adore the helms. Especially the second from the left!

• Iron Hands Fanatic and Pearson73 like this

Lord Commander Eidolon

Lord Commander Eidolon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 766 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children Legion
Awesome stuff! The icon is spectacular! Wish I'd thought of it! Or you'd done it before I'd done my sunkiller icon!

I'll have to see what I can to model these! I especially like the las cannon muzzle!
  • Iron Hands Fanatic likes this
"Only by Imperfection can we fail...''
Fulgrim, the Phoenician, the Illuminator, the Prefector of Chemos

My Blogs: 

sml_gallery_162_12011_407905.pngtn_gallery_162_12011_4334.jpegtn_gallery_162_12011_452.jpeg Instagram: @pursuitOfperfection

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Hey folks, bit of a status update on what to potentially expect fro this stuff in the future:

Thread Admin:

Okay, so I’ve been pondering reorganizing for a while – part of it’s driven by how bloated some of my older threads have gotten, and how my changing standards make a hard reset appealing. The other part of it comes from a professional capacity – now my Masters is winding down, I’m looking to go into freelance illustration at least semi-professionally, and various members have expressed interest in commissioning me over the years, so separating illustration work (iconography, character portraiture etc.) from my concept art / unit design would provide a good opportunity for portfolio / commission purposes.

The current plan is to make a new thread for illustration work (most likely with entirely new content save for a couple of iconography pieces) in the WIP forum that I’ll also use to showcase any commissions I do that are related to the content covered on the B&C.

The second reorganising aspect is consolidating rules / unit design into a single space. I’ve had separate threads for vehicle & infantry designs, 40k / 30k designs and further subdivisions over the years, and combining them into a single coherent thread will make my life easier, as well as allowing easier navigation for folks who follow my work. Any artwork related to these designs will go here too, but this will likely differ significantly in quality and style to the content in my planned illustration thread. I’m still ruminating on where to put this thread – while the Age of Darkness system is my current focus for this stuff, there’s always the possibility that I’ll branch out, and while I’m not sure this stuff qualifies as a special project, both that forum & WIP are appealing. Just to note, this isn’t necessarily an indicator that I’ll be continuing with this stuff apace, but that’s addressed further down.

The Future:

Yup, that’s a dramatic & ambiguous heading, but I’m still apprehensive about shouting about what I’m really considering: crowdfunding. Dithering aside, what this comes down to is the interaction between time pressures and my perfectionism.

I really enjoy doing concept work for 30k / 40k, and even when I have zero time to spend on it, I never stop coming up with ideas – I’ve become so immersed in the universe over the years its just what my brain does at quiet moments. But as I transition from my Masters to freelance art, I can’t afford to spare the time to do this stuff to the standard I’d like, and as a complete dumbass perfectionist, even doing high quality one-offs means I subsequently set that as my standard.

In terms of ‘quality I’d like’, honestly that includes well-written lore, points costs, formatting stuff as useable PDFs and *high quality* artwork. In that last case, I’ve only ever shared super rough work here, very basic stuff that translates my idea into a visual format as simply as possible, but I’d love to do more, especially when I’m considering designs that deviate more and more from existing miniatures.

Take for example the design I did a while back for heresy-era Lheor firefist – the initial plan was to produce a PDF page (in the same format as the Downloadable rules from FW’s site, so I’m not plagiarising any images) of rules with the art in the background. A year ago, that art took me 3 days. These are examples of artwork that took me a single day each from the last couple of months. If I was ever gonna follow through with the plan for Lheor, I’d want to do a full-colour portrait instead of that shoddy painting, and that’s the issue I have.

At the moment, I barely have time to write vaguely reasonable rules, and I find that the easiest part of the process. People ask me about timeframes for when I’ll finish unit concepts, and understandably want some form of art so they can envision designs that are entirely encapsulated within my imagination, but it sucks that I can barely scrape together the most basic showing when I could be producing much more polished content.

So I just wanted to put feelers out there to see if there’d be any interest in me setting up a Patreon or some such so that I can make the kind of stuff I’d like to without cutting into time I need to be spending on earning a living.

Concerns:

Admittedly this stuff does get a bit murky, so I’ll make some provisos: obviously with the B&C’s new policy on special & regular projects, I couldn’t continue to post work in progress content on the forum (those guidelines are what lead me to actually consider this route), but hopefully I’d still be able to post the completed profiles with artwork here. Additionally, all the stuff I’d produce would be 100% free and universally available – I’m just looking to offset the costs of dedicating time to making this stuff.

Copyright gets a bit tricky here – according to GW’s community guidelines this isn’t strictly viable, but that isn’t the same as meaning it’s not legally viable. Crowdfunding campaigns for GW IP-related projects already exist, and considering I’m already producing the rules and background at a slow pace in my own spare time, effectively this would be little different than commissioning an independent artist for the illustrations and formatting, which are practices that also exist.

I’d never reproduce rules that exist in published GW works - any PDFs would have directories of where to find referenced rules in their various publications, and I’d also make no copyright claims to any of the content.

I’ve also got concerns when it comes to my long-term ambition of joining the GW / FW design team – obviously this would likely jeopardise any chances of that happening, but when I consider how slim the chances of that happening are anyway, it’s a difficult call to make. I’ve already had one application turned down, and while I’d planned on applying again next year, I really don’t want to put my life on hold based on an unrealistic fantasy. Plus, let’s be honest – my real passion is for the Heresy, and FW don’t use concept artists, just miniature designers and illustrators.

Then I consider whether I even want to work for GW – I never got feedback from my rejected application, but part of me wonders whether the fact I explicitly stated my interest in GW’s attempts to increase the diversity in their range might have been an issue – every part of their careers process emphasises a ‘the company comes first’ mentality and its possible they read that as me being less likely to toe the line on moral issues. Then I consider reports of some stuff Tony Cottrell said at the last HH weekender and ask if I could ever justify working under someone who thinks it’s okay to spout that sort of horrendous garbage.

So I just want to explicitly say this is in no way a definite path I want to take. Even if I get an overwhelming amount of support for this idea, it’s entirely possible I’ll never go ahead with it – there’s lots of moving parts and provisos, so if this is something you don’t think is cool, that’s fine! I’m honestly mostly curious about whether people are interested enough in this to support it.

Crowdfunding:

I just wanted to set out in a bit more detail what me creating designs for 30k (and yeah, at first it’d only be 30k) might look like.

• Firstly, the basic end-goal would be releasing PDFs of the unit rules I design. These would be styled after the very basic format of the downloadable rules from the FW website, and I’d make it explicitly obvious they’re unofficial.
  • These would include points costs so you could actually field them, background to situate them in the setting and high quality artwork to give a detailed visual overview of their appearance.
  • All this stuff would be entirely free to access & I’d try and format them to be as printer-friendly as possible
  • As I’ve currently got a decent back-catalogue, the first steps would likely be going through and releasing my existing designs, updating them as necessary, adding points costs and working from existing concept sketches
  • Moving on, if there was enough support I’d also be able to try more ambitious stuff: entirely new army lists for example (Legion auxilia anyone?), as well as stuff like dramatis persona in which I take background characters from the Heresy and give them rules and artwork (Lheor’s a perfect example here)
  • It might even give me a chance to branch out into other GW game systems, although with 40k and AoS featuring single-reference rulesheets, there might be some difficulty with not being able to repeat existing rules (again, I would *never* reproduce existing GW material – be it text or art)
  • In terms of backer / patreon rewards, I don’t want to produce exclusive content, because that goes against the whole point of this exercise, but I’m thinking stuff like a gated Discord channel where I’ll share work in progress rules / art so supporters could have more of an input on the creative process

Anyway, I’ve nattered on for long enough

Please let me know what you think – any concerns and input are welcome

And as always, thanks for keeping up interest in my various projects over the years

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic, 17 June 2018 - 02:56 AM.

• Checkmate and bluntblade like this

bluntblade

bluntblade

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,684 posts
  • Faction: Inkspillers
Do you suppose you might knock up rules for Horus Aximand sometime? Been rereading Little Horus and I got a little fonder of him after realising he's a rare sword-and-board fighter in the Legions.

Edited by bluntblade, 17 June 2018 - 09:33 AM.

lokkorex

lokkorex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,234 posts
  • Location:The Walls of the Imperial Palace, killing everything.
  • Faction: Iron Warriors.

i think you have some great ideas, if you put some kind of kickstarter or crowdfunding i'll hope to contribute once i get some income.

"Then I consider reports of some stuff Tony Cottrell said at the last HH weekender and ask if I could ever justify working under someone who thinks it’s okay to spout that sort of horrendous garbage."

i'm unfamiliar with this, what did Tony Cottrell say hat was so awful?

L_T_Banner_V2.jpgL_T_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpg

"Loyalty is its own reward" Lion El'Johnson, Primarch of the Dark Angels legion.

marine7312000

marine7312000

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,520 posts
  • Faction: IX Legion, 263 Company

i think you have some great ideas, if you put some kind of kickstarter or crowdfunding i'll hope to contribute once i get some income.

"Then I consider reports of some stuff Tony Cottrell said at the last HH weekender and ask if I could ever justify working under someone who thinks it’s okay to spout that sort of horrendous garbage."

lokkorex, PMing you on the side so not to derail the thread.

• Iron Hands Fanatic and Vazzy like this

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_01.jpggallery_62972_10568_24083.jpggallery_48988_10980_7442.pnggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

http://www.bolterand...pany-the-sworn/

The Blood Angels are the Renaissance in power armour, with all of that majesty, splendour, and ingenuity turned anaemic by vampirism... with a mandate to conquer the galaxy on wings of iron and fire. They're paladins with sacred weapons and beauteous facemasks, crying out in inhuman choirs for the taste of their enemies' blood.

JackDaw: ah the Emperors Children are too fancy for beards. The Ninth however, well, beards are sent straight from heaven.

Vazzy

Vazzy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,474 posts
  • Faction: Shattered Suns

Also somewhat curious about this. Mind send in me a PM as well?

On topic, you have soem great ideas for sure IHF. I def plan on commissioning some pieces, and love how much adding more diversity to the universe is so important to you. I've said it before, but as a person of color, seeing people that look like you is really nice!

• philip111 and Iron Hands Fanatic like this

Iron Hands Fanatic

Iron Hands Fanatic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,134 posts

Hey, everyone, thanks for the positive responses! I'm still keen to investigate the Crowdfunding option, although at this point my main concern is whether there's enough interest to make it viable.

With that in mind, my next step will be producing a couple of 'proof of concept' PDFs to demonstrate the kind of work I'm talking about (plus, seeing how long they take wil help me break down what amount of content would be viable at different funding levels) - I'm currently pretty busy with my end of Masters project and setting up freelance infrastructure, but they'll be what I'm working on in the immediate future happy.png

Do you suppose you might knock up rules for Horus Aximand sometime? Been rereading Little Horus and I got a little fonder of him after realising he's a rare sword-and-board fighter in the Legions.

Depending on the funding level, I'd definitely want to work on a series for less major Characters, maybe having a monthly character that funders would be able to vote on / nominate, so Aximand would certainly be in the running 

Thanks Lokkorex, that's really kind biggrin.png

Also somewhat curious about this. Mind send in me a PM as well?

On topic, you have soem great ideas for sure IHF. I def plan on commissioning some pieces, and love how much adding more diversity to the universe is so important to you. I've said it before, but as a person of color, seeing people that look like you is really nice!

Thanks Vazzy, that's amazing to hear (on both accounts!). As a member of the queer community, I'm part of a less visible minority demographic, but I super appreciate how valuable representation is for people from all walks of life (and hell, even if I wasn't, diversity is still central to my values).

I'm really keen to feature women, disabled characters, queer characters and people of colour in the art associated with this project, and the character series is the most obvious place to make that happen, but it'll also be a central consideration to any non-vehicle unit profiles I do artwork for.

Edited by Iron Hands Fanatic, 20 June 2018 - 10:00 PM.

• philip111 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Artwork, Mechanicum, Legions, Knights

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users