+++E Tenebrae Lux IV - Astra Militarum Strategium+++

I still believe that the best outcome would be to get the highest completion rate - the mythical 100% should be what we are aiming at.

This will show the other forums the true value of the Guard, more than just the number of points painted.

What better way to show our true faith in the God Emperor of Mankind.

Painting has stopped for the day, but it has been far more productive than I expected as my vow is all but complete! biggrin.png I've got the modelling sand glued so that will be set when I return to paint the base tomorrow morning. My record fourth vow is close with plenty of time to spare smile.png Sorry baz, unless you can pull it out of the hat it's third time lucky for me msn-wink.gif

Hmmm, got all my base colours down and some shading, but still a good couple of hours plus from completion stopped for the day myself. Its good to let the commissars win every now and again...it improves life expectancy!

So it could all be to play for tomorrow morning then? I'm out tonight so can't do any more, plus I want some good sunlight to try and get some decent completion pictures. I've put in a fair bit of detail on him and would like people to be able to see it :) I know how much everyone loves my bad pictures but I'm afraid you'll have to wait until tomorrow :P

Things are progressing much like expected - it's all going to come down to completion rates. Not one step back, let's keep pushing and raise our percentage! My vow is being completed as we speak :)

Unfortunately the sun seems to have forgotten to come out today so it looks like I'll have to wait to get some decent pictures but you don't need a good picture to complete a vow ;)

Keep it up guys! Great effort and our completion rate is great.

My mive went well, and I may even be able to fit a cheeky vow in next week though we'll have to see.

Seems odd though that we're the opposite the guard are know for(overwhelming numbers etc), maybe we're all scions? (Due to low numbers but high success etc)

Bad news indeed baz! I would have finished this morning but I had to rush off to get some games in biggrin.png I had a brutal game against the Black Templars but in the end the Guard prevailed msn-wink.gif The two Wyverns carried out a good job of killing the enemy and my classic Russ tanks got some great shots in, my scatter dice were on fire biggrin.png The Ratlings got their first game in and you will be pleased to know got some great shooting in before being scared off the board by some Assault Marines.

Sadly taking pictures this late at night is only going to make bad pictures but there was no decent sunlight all day anyway. So for now I'll have to make do with these, but I'm pleased with how he looks so I'll definitely try for better pictures when the sun comes back out to play smile.png

gallery_30308_10714_14429.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_16218.jpg

There is much detail you can't see so for now you'll have to believe me when I say its there laugh.png Of course can't do an update without a bit of background fluff too msn-wink.gif

Lord Commissar Phileas

Hidden Content
The Reclamation of Diva would have been a footnote defeat in Arukani history were it not for the actions of one man. Due to a catalogue of errors a contingent of Arukani Infantry were sent to the fringe system of Diva to secure it from the predations of Tau expansionism years too late. Furthermore tactical command erroneously logged the nature of the system, for it was an archipelago world of tropical seas for which the Arukani, long disliking the water, were ill equipped for.

So did the Arukani forces attempt an assault on a system they were hopelessly equipped to deal with. Outnumbered, outgunned and out of their element they nevertheless proceeded with orders despite regimental command being fully in knowledge of the expected result. The landing was disastrous with heavy casualties but against all odds a successful secure zone was captured thanks to the complete surprise the xenos were taken by, but it was a short lived victory. Xenos forces rallied before long and regimental command was lost; their last order being "death before dishonour" and it fell to the ageing Lord Commissar Phileas to assume command.

It was supposed to be a simple last mission before retirement, but the well liked (for a commissar) Phileas wasn't going to go down without a fight. By the Emperor's providence he was from a tempestuous sea world, and knew raging waters like the back of his hand. Post campaign analysis would report that the successful landing itself was in no small part due to his wise advice, and he took his knowledge and applied it immediately as soon as he took command. His first order would perhaps not be expected from a commissar, but Phileas was an experienced soldier and knew that discretion was sometimes the better part of valour. History would prove it the correct course of action; Arukani soldiers instantly obeyed and dispersed for guerilla warfare.

For over three years the Arukani expedition survivors harassed and impeded the Tau forces. Philea's matchless expertise and experience was more than enough, thanks to the Arukani's obedient nature they didn't hesitate or question any orders given - even if they didn't understand quite the reasons behind the decisions. In time Philea's silent arrival from the waters to sow death and destruction before slinking back into the night gave the xenos forces to name him out of fear and respect. Naturally Phileas immediately banned it from use as it was xenos in origin but the Arukani adapted it to their own tongue as "the fish warrior".

While respected as a warrior and leader the commissar had always stood apart from direct command, working with the command structure rather than with the soldiery itself. This had to change after assuming direct control and while he reforged the Arukani into a merciless waterborne guerilla force it is also true that the Arukani influenced him in turn. His hereditary blade "Duskgleam" was all but ceremonial previously but in the jungles of Diva he discovered its true potential as a duelling blade, and he even took to claiming heads as the Arukani did. He built up a substantial collection of xenos officer heads that impressed even the most disagreeable Arukani.

When the mistake was realised the Imperium sent a new expedition to capture Diva, only to find the xenos forces had abandoned the system due to the merciless attrition they were suffering outstripping the gain from holding it. The new invasion force arrived to see a world bordering on a fortress one, occupied with a veteran guerilla force eager for the Tau to attempt to retake the planet. High command was ecstatic that not only had Diva been held as Imperial territory as ordered but the Arukani finally had a force with the knowledge of water warfare. Philea's retirement was postponed, and he was assigned to lead the new water force and train more soldiers in their new way of war. The history records neglect to mention how he felt about this, but it is assumed that he still leads the "Arukani Karp" to war wherever their expertise is needed most.

Plus a bonus extra pieces to celebrate my contribution to ETL IV and record fourth vow biggrin.png
Hidden Content
"Mercy?" Sergeant Kuruso snarled incredulously, "What do you know of the word, xeno? Did you show mercy to the people of this planet when you invaded?"
A few of the soldiers nodded grimly, having once been enslaved but rescued and recruited by the Arukani forces. A xenos voice called out over their inferior vox system, once more extolling the Imperial soldiers to lay down their arms and be treated with honour. A small chorus of chuckling emanated from their command bunker - the squad inside found it amusing to leave on.
"You know nothing, alien," Kuruso resumed once the accented voice had stopped booming, "for if you did you would know that this is mercy. Should the Lord Commissar catch you your fate would be far worse than a lasgun to the head."
A few more cracks of lasgun fire sounded from the other side of the base, signalling more executions. Kuruso watched the xeno with an unblinking gaze, daring him to speak once more or better yet attempt to fight or escape. A brief bit of commotion from the bunker saw Lieutenant Asagari emerge, glancing up briefly he saw her give a quick signal; mission accomplished, no need for captives. A smile crept to his lips as he raised his laspistol.
Another crack of a lasgun before silence once more. As the Imperials vanished into the waters the vox network sprang to life once more but there was no laughing this time. Another xenos outpost silenced, another victory for the Lord Commissar's Karp

Keep on painting comrades, give it all you've got for the final push! thumbsup.gif

I Vampyrerodent do take upon yet, a third vow of 235pts to complete a Deathstrike missile launcher for 160pts and a Chimera with a dozer blade and heavy stubbed for 75pts for the glory of the Imperium and the betterment of the Kanak Skulltakers! Should I fail in this undertaking, may the Commissariat take my life or enlist me into the closest Penal Legion!!

IMG 4803

The Emperor blessed me with some better daylight, despite the poor weather. With this I can officially say my ETL work is over this year* smile.png

gallery_30308_10714_32399.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_11723.jpg

Some closer shots/alternate angles:

gallery_30308_10714_21914.jpg

gallery_30308_10714_47983.jpg

I'm glad I painted him up, aside from giving me my fourth vow he has lots of nice details on. I should have painted the medal and hat gems blue as the green doesn't show up as well but I think I got a nice shade on his sword. If you can see the gloss and gold sheen it lives up to its name msn-wink.gif The eyepatch turned out quite good too, though I'm sure I did the strap closer to the ear when I sculpted it...

I even managed to get some pretty nice pictures too, how about that? Under three weeks remain comrades, let's pull out all the stops! Forwards to victory or death! biggrin.png

Through the Warp, to near and far,
To Tallarn, Lethe and Ultramar,
The Emperor points and we obey,
Through the Warp and far away.

* aside from pestering everyone to complete that is!

I particularly liked his write up Lord Commissar! I love reading the little stories people come up with, it all adds to the model and how they are painted and whatnot :) Also the second batch of pictures are much clearer and you can see the details far easier.

Congratulations to everyone else and their hard work so far too, I usually hop on once a day when I'm at work to see how everyone's getting on so I have been lurking and watching things in support ;)

Indeed, this is a glorious ETL for the sheer quality of models that are being produced. We're painting up a lot of points but we're doing it well too thumbsup.gif

Don't forget the final Regiments of the B&C challenge will be starting at some point after the ETL, so there's an opportunity for you to do more than just lurk and add to your existing ranks msn-wink.gif

After doing a bit of a catch up I was inspired to do a good 3 or 4 hours of painting tonight. Managed to make a real dent into the vow so should see a completion before the next weekly update. ;)

Praefect, that camo pattern on the back looks great!

Hopefully, I can finish these two tanks this week and possibly put out a Stormlord and a Veteran squad before the end of the month. Don't worry, if it get's too hairy, I won't vow. Don't want to lose the accumulated points.

Post from last night got purged during the downtime but short and long of things I've finished my 3rd vow. I'm going to add a 4th (prob Psyker + master of ordnance). But could do with some rules clarification, I was considering vowing a Master of Ordnance, but  my initial thought is that it would be forbidden as needs to be part of CCS not an individual character.....

However read this FAQ in the rules:

Q: Can Characters who are squad upgrades for units become legal entries in their own right?

A: Yes they can. However they are only worth the “upgrade” points i.e. do not add the points of the miniature they replace when used in a squad. This of course is waived if you do paint an entire squad with the special Character upgrade in which case normal rules apply!

Does this mean I can vow the Master of Ordance?

Yes, it is most unfortunate but I don't think we lost any completions? Let's not let this stop us, keep pushing to your completed vows comrades :tu:

baz, by the FAQ rule he should be ok as he's an upgrade character to a CCS even if he doesn't replace anyone. I'd make the vow and get to work on him, you want to paint him up anyway right? ;)

Archived