Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

++Inspiration Friday (Chaos Icons. Until 12/18)++

Inspiration Friday Chaos

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
327 replies to this topic

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Well done Carrack!
Also, and perhaps I didn't show it well enough, but Starscream was no Astartes, although he filled the role of apostle. Just thought I would point it out, in case it changes how anyone reads my piece.

Edited by Teetengee, 16 November 2015 - 01:24 PM.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
  • Faction: Black Maw
Armor of the Evil Giants
Spoiler

I'm not sure how well this story works, but I've had it in my head for a few days with no other power armor stories springing to mind. Enjoy.
  • Machine God, Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale and 1 other like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

Mine is a bit of a sequel to my Nemesis story, moving along the Psychopomps' storyline by a matter of minutes.

Price Paid

Hidden Content

• Warsmith Aznable, Carrack and Scourged like this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

Here's my latest. It turned out quite self-referential toward my other works, but I dig it. This thread has been the single greatest push to flesh out warband backstory, and I'm loving it. Anyways, enjoy.

Legacy

Spoiler

Oh, and my main character is entirely based upon the subject of my bike/disc conversion. One of these days I'll write a story on how he comes to acquire that steed. It's this guy:

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Teetengee and Carrack like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Very nice work.
I find myself out of Likes today!

Daemonic steeds...yes...
#adds to list#

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

The Hollowed

Hidden Content

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Carrack and Scourged like this

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

Thanks to all those who submitted entries on the subject of CSM power armour.

MaliGn gave us The Armourer, telling us of The Host’s victorious return to Sicarus and the penitent journey of several Astartes to the Malefactorum and its master: the fearsome Armourer. This malefic smith binds the armour he works upon, binds it to the wearer permanently; working daemons into its very fiber. Daemons the Armourer can call upon the loyalty of, should the need arise...

Armour of the Evil Giants was Carrack’s entry this week, following a squad of legionnaires as they investigated attacks upon settlements, while watched by a survivor of one of these attacks, who studied the armour of these black-clad giants of legend.

I gave you a sniper’s eye view of one of my noise marine champions during the Psychopomps’ assault on the Eldar maiden world of Viarphia, his aim wandering over the various parts and decorations of the Enemy’s armour. And I moved along the Psychopomp’s timeline just a little past the assault’s climax...

Scourged, there’s nothing wrong with self-referential pieces. Almost all of mine and Carrack’s are detailing the same warbands and often refer to earlier entries.

In Legacy he told us the history of each single part of Scindus’ armour as it was taken out from the fleshmetal walls of his arming chamber and put on him.

Teetengee gave us The Hollowed, a curious tale of haunted(?) armour, blessed by Grandfather Nurgle itself it appears. A revenant warrior protected by a cloud of flies.

I particularly liked the writer mentioning that if they could not awaken the marine then they would separate his body and use the parts as relics!

Step forward Scourged and claim your reward!

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

I’m awarding it to Scourged this week as he really went into detail about the different parts of Scindus’ armour and its history.

An honourable mention to Teetengee as I really liked your piece too. That the armour was not the typical heavily-corrupted type we usually associate with Nurgle was most refreshing. But I wanted more! To hear more about it and what the marine had done, a short delve into origins, even if just the supposition of an Ordo Malleus follow up perhaps.

And here begins our next challenge...

Tales of Hubris

Following on from Tales of Glory, this week’s theme is Hubris.

Described in the modern context as extreme pride or self-confidence and in its ancient Greek context as violent and excessive behavior rather than an attitude. It was hubris which caused the downfall the biblical Lucifer in Milton’s Paradise Lost and in the 40k universe the Crimson King, Magnus of the Thousand Sons and his legion, and no doubt countless others over the millennia since.

No matter what form of this vice you choose to depict, and whether it is the curse of the antagonists or protagonists of your piece, please submit your entries by November 27th.

You have one week.

Let us be inspired...

P.S. The bonus Challenge is still in the works. When it happens, it happens. :)

• Teetengee, Carrack and EesiOh like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Bonus Challenge: Objectives
The current Daemon Forge is focused on making objective counters:
Daemon Forge X
And so I am setting a linked challenge -independent of our usual weekly/fortnightly challenges- for you to submit a write-up of one of your objective counters (or more than one) along with photos of the completed model(s). No picts: no entry.
The objective counters needn't be ones you made during/for Daemon Forge X (you may have lots already and not want to make more) though I do encourage members to take part.

Please post both the write-up and image(s) in the same post.

The challenge runs until December 20th.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

It's funny... last week, I had a thought for a Inspiration topic: I figured, with all of these tales of glory and victory, stories about failure and defeat would have a place in our threads. Then, sure enough, this week's topic came out. Just as planned...

Wingless Champion

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale, Carrack and 1 other like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
  • Faction: Neo Zeon

Because interest was expressed: How the Warsmith Won the Heart of His Fourth Wife.

Hidden Content

Note: there are varying laps of time between the passages separated by the +++. Also this begins before her last appearance and ends a considerable amount of time after it, so she has not had the revelation or change of attitude from the second to last passage when she appears in the last story.

I do hope this fits the bill for hubris, even if I don't say exactly what it is that's at the heart of the Warsmith's soul.

• Kierdale, Carrack, Scourged and 1 other like this

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Mutation

Hidden Content

Edited by Teetengee, 25 November 2015 - 01:09 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale, Castellan Cato and 2 others like this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
First off, I apologize for the length of my story this week. I wanted to try something new. I started writing this story last week as the next installation of my latest writing project in the fan fiction section of the B&C, The Wanderer. Then we got this week's challenge, so I tried to incorporate hubris as a theme in the story I was already writing. It didn't really work out, I found that hubris is best described when it's a trait of the protagonist of the story, and I had multiple narrators. So I rewrote the story from strictly the deluded view of Ramone, one of the characters. Then I thought it might be interesting to read both stories together, to see Ramone's view of the entire story in comparison with what actually happened (not that this fiction actually happened, but I hope you catch my drift). Anyway, enough rambling, and sorry for the length.

Dislodged is the original story, Ramone's Fall is his version of it.

Dislodged
Spoiler

Ramone's Fall

Spoiler

• Warsmith Aznable, Kierdale and Teetengee like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

A Jinxed Mission

Hidden Content

After you've read the above...

Hidden Content

• Warsmith Aznable and Carrack like this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
Nice to see Jinx make another appearance. Kierdale. I have to admit, that I too was going to write a spawn story, but I felt it would look like the uglier sister of Teetengee's spawn story, sort of similar, just not as nice.
  • Kierdale likes this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts

med_gallery_63428_7083_113631.png

Thanks to all those who submitted entries on the theme of `hubris`. We had but five entries - all from IF regulars (we really need to get our own badge. Win X number of Octeds and you get one biggrin.png ) - but of high quality.

Wingless Champion was Scourged’s tale of the overconfident - dare I even say vainglorious? - raptor champion Junska stalking and finally attacking the Angels Vermillion captain Vanni Montalis only to fall victim to his hubris.

Warsmith Aznable answered my request for more information on the Warsmith and his wife with How the Warsmith Won the Heart of His Fourth Wife. Fourth!? He gave us tempting glimpses of the hubris at the warsmith’s heart and left us still hungry for answers. You tease, you.

Teetengee’s tale told of Jonquill of the Thrice Cursed fighting Night Lords, with the aid of spawn from his warband. He used these as fodder, as hounds, and upon slaying his foe expected to ascend...only for the Gods to laugh at his hubris and reduce him to a spawn himself.

Not one but two entries, from Carrack this week, from slightly different points of view (this was very original and something I’d like to try myself sometime). He told us of the Black Maw’s attack upon a mysterious enemy’s stronghold (the winter setting being most appropriate for those of us in the northern hemisphere) using their allies the Crescendo and their pawns the Fewood cult and Ursgatch braves. The story featured the fall of Ramone of the Fewood cult, found wanting in the eyes of the Gods. I particularly liked Ramone’s revelation at the very end.

And I gave you the tale of my warband, the Psychopomps, giving a test to their ostensible ally: the Chaos assassin Jinx, who ended up having to cross paths with a squad of Grey Knights, eventually slaying the squad leader in punishment for his hubris, and ingratiating herself further into her adoptive warband.

Our winner this week?

Step forward Teetengee and claim your reward!

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

The name of the thread is `Inspiration Friday`. I had actually not intended to enter this week but, having read Teetengee’s entry (and Ian Watson’s Chaos Child this week…and I can’t give him an Octed too!), I was inspired. The tale was not particularly convoluted but was a good, simple tale of the gods punishing one of their followers for his hubris.

I also loved the descriptions of Jonquill, his tongues and his undulating (ululating?) cry.

And here begins our next challenge...

Chaos Titan

Those (machine) gods of the battlefield. From Warhounds (we’ll leave the knights for another time) through Reavers and Warlords (including Banelords) up to Imperator titans, tell us of one (or more) of these lords of war dedicated to the Infernal Powers.

The challenge runs until December 4th.

You have one week.

Let us be inspired...

Just a quick note that while the bonus (Objectives) challenge will end on December 20th (as will the linked Daemon Forge), our last regular Inspiration Friday for 2015 will end on December 18th. We will start again on January 8th. Anyone who feels an urge to write over the festive season: choose a unit from the Chaos Codexes (which we haven’t already done) and get writing…I assure you we’ll cover it eventually.

• Carrack likes this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts

Warsmith Aznable answered my request for more information on the Warsmith and his wife with How the Warsmith Won the Heart of His Fourth Wife. Fourth!? He gave us tempting glimpses of the hubris at the warsmith’s heart and left us still hungry for answers. You tease, you.

What kind of lord of Chaos would I be if I didn't answer every mystery with at least twice as many more questions?

The truth is some things worked themselves out in my head as I was writing, and I finally found an answer to my warband's need for more grimdark. I want to flesh it out over several more stories before I think about revealing the Warsmith's monstrous secret, as I need to invent and hammer out more specifics. It will probably involve the final confrontation between the Warsmith and his Dark Apostle nemesis.

• Kierdale likes this

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
There is a distinct lack of Titans in this thread.
One more week?
I could probably do with one more week to finish mine properly.

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,713 posts
Been thinking about it. No real inspiration yet.

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

I have like the first two sentences planned out, plus I think I want to go big with this one, but am unclear on how best to do the description.

also, glad I could be an inspiration to you Kier, you certainly have been one to me (in fact I was thinking of your spawn a lot while I wrote it, actually, I kind of think of your spawn a lot period when spawn come up, they are wicked awesome.)

Edited by Teetengee, 03 December 2015 - 04:25 PM.

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
In the event that you choose not to extend the deadline, and nobody else has one ready, and you can't bring yourself to declare your own story a winner, and I don't have time for a better story, here is my submission so I can claim an uncontested victory :)

The Doom of the Woolten Trench

Boom, boom, boom, came the measured, earthshaking thunder, drawing ever closer to the trench. "Private Pyle!" Shouted the sergeant. "Get your lazy backside up to the firing step and see what that noise is, it doesn't sound like another barrage." The private shouted, "For Cadia!" As he climbed to the ledge a meter short of the trench's top. He had time to call out, "Oh Emperor, its a..." Before the trench was engulfed in the hellfire of an inferno cannon from the approaching Banelord Titan. The end.

No disrespect intended towards this contest and the effort taken to keep it running.

Edited by Carrack, 03 December 2015 - 04:51 PM.

• Kierdale, Teetengee and Scourged like this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Nothing on my end, either. I think it's because we all spend so much time focusing on our small warriors and warbands, rather than armies of massive scale. Or, that's the excuse I'll be giving, at least. tongue.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Thanks for the responses. :)
As Teetengee is working on an entry, myself too...and with an entry like that from Carrack (:P I am tempted to revoke one of your Octeds! :D)...I would like to extend the deadline until the 11th of December.
I hope no one minds, and that perhaps Carrack, Teetengee or my entries will inspire others during the second week.

That Carrack focused not on the Titan but those facing it is certainly one way to approach it. Or how the Titan (or the full legio?) turned to Chaos? Did it all turn or just part and was there infighting? Was it possessed? How were people corrupted? Who crews it? How does your warband maintain such a huge machine?
Or simply give us a huge battle.

EDIT: or for those of us who had marines at the Siege of Terra (I'm looking at you Iron Warriors) you could tell us of their part in the siege and their witnessing of loyalist and traitor engines there...

That gives me an idea for a future IF:
Memories of Terra: your CSM's involvement in the siege at the end of the Heresy...and a chance to invite those from the Age of Darkness forum to take part.
(From a personal point of view it's not one my Psychopomps could take part in but I could do it from the PoV of one of my daemons...or take a refreshing break and do a story about one of the Traitor legions).
  • Teetengee likes this

Carrack

Carrack

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,247 posts
I actually have found my inspiration. I am going to attempt to use my joke entry inside a much grander, grimmer, and possibly even darker entry. Hopefully living up to the dark glory of the Cursed Titans. Since it seems I'm unlikely to steal a cheap win :)

Ps. Good idea with the Siege of Terror

Edited by Carrack, 04 December 2015 - 01:51 AM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

I also like the Memories of Terra idea. Lots of potential. Already have a couple idea for that. Could give me a reason to elaborate on the Black Legionnaire challenging Scindus. Or, I can delve into the words heard by Salazar when he accepted the Gift. Good times!

Otherwise, I'll keep knocking around a thought I had with a Freeblade turned renegade. We'll see.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,772 posts
Right. I'll schedule Memories of Terra for sometime in January. :)

And I'm hereby extending 'Chaos Titans' to Dec 11th.

Scourged, I'd like to keep this IF for full-on Titans, and Knights for a future IF. No harm writing it now though ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspiration Friday, Chaos

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users