++Interview with a Chaos Lord++ Andra'Melek p.9

Augustus b'Raass

Thanks for reading, Uveron!

If you had to paint and convert it all again would you? and if you were to do something different what would you do?

Come to think of it I would've used magnets from the very beginning on all models that have multiple weapon options. In theory I could still go back to some of them and do that, but generally I dislike doing anything to finished models. Unless it's a brake fluid bath and a complete repaint. ;)

Would you stay with Chaos or does some other faction have a interest?

I like Alpha Legion almost as much as Thousand Sons, with them being actually loyal to the Galaxy and saving it from Chaos, if that theory is to be believed. Also love the Spartacus thing of all of them being Alpharius etc. I admit I have some interest in loyalist marines and Imperial Guard as well, might go that way someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings from the tumultuous depths of the Eye of Terror, brothers, from where we are bringing you yet another Interview with a Chaos Lord. We searched long and hard, and on a nameless Daemon World in the Great Eye's heart we found him, the Night Crow, Lord of the Chapter of the Ruined King and Master of the Kindred. His true name is unknown, but among we mere mortals he is known by a solitary name: Noctus Cornix.

How did you become a Chaos Lord?

Chaos Lord? Such a naive title self-appointed by those who believe it is they who control the winds of Destiny, as though Fate weaves a tale of their apotheosis from mortal slavery unto immortal shackles as those they call a ‘Daemon Prince’. A Prince is not a life of freedom to write out one’s own tale, but subject to the whims of their father or the true master of which they serve. We are no Chaos Lord. We became a traitor when our hands were stained with the blood of our own kin in the name of a Fool’s betrayal. We became a traitor once more when we drew our blade to strike down our Father, of whom we once loved most. We are a Monarch of the Abyss, the One who’s will is done, blessed by the Four Winds and subject to none.”

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Chaos was, unsurprisingly, my first army. At the time I, as a young and impressionable 4th grader some 11 years ago now, was into buying Mage Knights because the figures looked pretty cool. I bought them from a small local game store near my school. One day I happened to come upon two gentlemen playing a game of 40k. I excitedly asked them many questions upon seeing their vast and interesting armies and was kindly directed by one of the gentlemen playing to the wall of 40k stuff while he explained the basics to me. Looking around at each of the codexes on the wall, my heart stopped the instant I beheld the morbid beauty that was the 3.5 codex. I have something of a love hate relationship with that codex, (God do I hate its rules for Word Bearers) but it was what started me out on my hobby journey in Warhammer 40,000.

Chaos Space Marines were my first army, and as to my usual ignorant and indecisive self, I didn’t pick a Legion but instead made a very silly Chaos Warband by the name of the Death Scythes (you have to understand I was extremely into Gundam at the time… And yes, my leader’s name was Chaos Lord Duo…) It was a modest warband with a black scheme with red trim, a warband that paid homage to both Khorne and Nurgle and mostly consisted of cheesily converted Battle for Macragge marines using tooth pick ends and bits I would cut off from Mage Knight models.

I stopped playing Chaos Marines for a time to pick of Black Templars (those were the days…) but curiously enough found myself playing Daemons in the most unlikely of ways. During High School I tried to encourage more friends to join me in my hellish like conquest, one of whom started up a Khorne daemon army he had very bad luck with… One day, on my birthday to be exact, we all got together at the game store to play as a group a Birthday Space Hulk battle with my friends. The daemons got picked on by one of my older friends who decided to be something of a jerk and take crisis suits to a 500 point game… He lost, of course, but so did I. A bit later on, he approached me as I’m sitting at a table marveling at my sprues and he said to me. “Give me your Space Wolf codex and you can have my daemons.” A Space Wolf codex, mind you, that I had gotten for free when I bought a discount Space Marine force box from the store owner…. Yeah, it was a good birthday, all things considered.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

To be honest, I really just don’t have a favorite. Chaos is, by far, my absolute favorite thing about Warhammer, both in its depiction of 40K and Fantasy (Age of Sigmar too.) It is a nuanced and diverse, a culmination of all the imagination’s horrors quantified into a beautiful and all too human reality. Warhammer 40,000 has a somewhat unique aspect to its form of Chaos in the Chaos Space Marines, particularly those of the original Legions. There is something almost fragile and tragic in their downfall, a tenuous existence forgotten for all the deeds they have done as defenders of mankind, children butchered by their masters and then exiled for following their Fathers to the bitter end, Fathers who no longer care for their existence. They are brutish, savage avatars of war that slaughter thousands for their gods or their own nihilistic ambition, but to their core it is a sorrowful tale that echoes across the millennia, a story of broken and abused children who extend their spite upon the world and a society that has hated them for doing what they were told was right.

If I had to pick one though that interests me most, I must genuinely say it would have to be Emperors Children. There is no Legion as broken and ravaged as the sons of Fulgrim, no greater admission of loyal warriors that fell into a depravity that they did not understand, a luxury of sin that was shunned and then crashed against them in a wave of anguish. These are the sons who could not comprehend their own downfall and utter destruction, broken and shattered beyond even the XIIth Legion, betrayed by a creature they believed and still believe to be their Father. Older lore of the Index Astartes spoke of small fractured warbands of the Emperors Children still searching for their father in the Eye of Terror, hoping that one day he will bring them salvation and guidance once more. How sad to know they will never find that hope, yet on they march in a existence of withdrawl and agony in a world that their bodys have simply become numb to.

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

The Lore.

To explain, I must admit that as a child I was a terrible reader. I loved having my parents read to me or listen to audio books, but it just simply came to the fact that I could not read books. I was slow, constantly falling asleep or bored out of my mind. When I started out in Warhammer, I became entranced by the lore and the setting, hungry to understand more, and so I forced myself to read and read, to know more and understand more.

Warhammer, to be perfectly blunt, is the reason why I have come to love reading, of which I do proudly admit to having a bachelor’s degree in Literature. Quite the stretch from the little brat who just couldn’t pick up a book without falling asleep, eh?

Warhammer is a grim and tragic setting filled with sorrow and the varying colors of darkness, a macabre elegy to the slow extinction of humanity and the spiraling abyss to which a soul will fall in the name of continued existence. The Imperium and Chaos, mankind locked into itself in a struggle to murder its kin and inner daemons while slowly bringing the blade to its own throat. Outside of other IPs like the Dark Souls games and recently Kingdom Death, there is just nothing quite like it.

What is your play style?

I can hardly call myself a gamer when it comes to Warhammer. I play once in a blue moon and mostly spend my hobby taking excessive amounts of time building singular models or muttering some kind of estranged incantation as I scribble down notes of projects and stories I never get around to. I was drawn to Warhammer by the hobby, by the models and the stories. Not the game.

That being said, the very rare times I do play (especially these days), I play something of an army of heroes. Warhammer, to me, is a grim fantasy setting with science fiction aspects, but it is a fantasy above all else, akin to Arthurian legends and tales of medieval chivalry in its own twisted way. I make my Space Marines (Chaos or otherwise) to reflect that belief and I do the same in my game style. No amount of points is too much to spend on upgrades, no amount of detail or frivolous things too far. I tend to have very small elite forces armed to the teeth with weapons and upgrades, usually to end in a somewhat frustrating but otherwise unexpected defeat in the face of more strategic and better thought out lists.

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

This hobby has been one of the best things in my life. I have so many good memories and have met so many great people over the years. If I must pick any memory that stands out above everything else, I would have to say that comes to having Allant being drawn by our wonderful forum compatriot Greyall. 

http://img03.deviantart.net/d812/i/2014/141/f/4/the_ruined_king_by_greyall-d7j8gzv.jpg

A greatest achievement, however... I have yet to create my Magnum Opus. Soon though...

Do you collect and play any other armies?

For Warhammer 40,000, I have plans and the supplies to start building a Blood Angels Successor Chapter and Astral Claws, but ultimately, no. It is just my ever expanding (but very slowly growing) Chaos army. I used to play Black Templars, but I have abandoned my fanatical Crusader roots since their lore change.

I have also been recently working on a bit of Vampire Count and Empire stuff for Fantasy/Age of Sigmar since I ultimately decided that I would build what I want for my own pleasure rather than with any real intention to play a game with them.

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Iskandar Khayon. Seriously, he is a scholar among heretics and provides such a wealth of knowledge above all others. He is rich with character and eloquent in his tongue. I could sit and listen to him discuss the nature of the Warp and the Neverborn for weeks, I kid you not.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

My choice might be a bit of a stretch into the preverbal antique shop when it comes to Warhammer. Hands down, that right goes solely to the Liber Chaotica. This is the tome of everything there is to know about Chaos at its core. It is chalk full of lore and inspiration that has driven me to love Chaos more and more despite over a decade of dedication. I cannot truly expression how amazing this tome is. There is nothing like and there will just never be anything like it again. I spent almost $200 to get a physical copy of this ancient and long out of production piece, but damn if it isn’t worth every penny.

If I had to pick a novel, it would have to be ‘Inheritance’ by Steven Savile, which follows the rise and fall of Vlad VonCarstein. If I had to pick something 40k related, I would have to say ‘Talon of Horus’ by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

“The Ruination of all things will return from the Gate of Fire. The Abyss will open once more, and the King shall return..”

I salute any of you who have made it this far reading the entire thing and listening to me drone. Seriously though, my apologies and thank you all so much for your interest in my work; I never quite know when to stop talking…

I've been too busy to check this thread for a while so couldn't post my usual questions. :(

That was a good read, Noctus. :tu:

I put to you -any any other interviewed chaos lords I missed recently- my two usual questions...

I. Can you please show us the completed model you're most proud of?

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

Does completed mean it has to be painted? tongue.png

tumblr_inline_mg3zctHm3s1qih9gi.gif

Seriously though, this is my favourite Interview to date. It just tells an epic tale of a youngster getting involved in the hobby, getting cought up in the lore of Chaos, dreaming of the fictional legends, and learning some RL stuff in the process. All of which are instantly recognizable to me.

Also± Liber Chaotica is indeed the stuff of legends. I was lucky enough to see it pop up in the pages of my favourite bits site about a year ago, and managed to get it mint (but for a scratch in a corner) for the low low price of fifty squid. My girlfriend doesn't let me read it for more than ten minutes at a time though, for she's afraid I'll summon daemons. ;)

tumblr_inline_mg3zctHm3s1qih9gi.gif

Fine. Fine. rolleyes.gif The one model I would say I am most proud is one of my Word Bearer chaplains. The reason for this is because I posted a picture of him about 2 years ago, painted up around the time I was first getting serious about my painting and I like to think there's a show of significant improvement during that time. The first picture is the one from two years ago. The rest are from a couple months.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/WP_000140_zpsa32755d4.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20151117_132107_zpsyykt3if1.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20151117_132141_zpshvdmehzs.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20151117_132155_zpsn285iiqs.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20151117_132213_zpsj4sjdwse.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20151117_132235_zps5gkkcxws.jpg

II. What's your dream project? (Money/time/skill/bitz/Infernal Powers permitting)

My dream project would be just one massive expansion into my Word Bearers and their allies, including Titans, Daemon Engines, Knights, and all manner of nasty things. :P

Seriously though, this is my favourite Interview to date. It just tells an epic tale of a youngster getting involved in the hobby, getting cought up in the lore of Chaos, dreaming of the fictional legends, and learning some RL stuff in the process. All of which are instantly recognizable to me.

Also± Liber Chaotica is indeed the stuff of legends. I was lucky enough to see it pop up in the pages of my favourite bits site about a year ago, and managed to get it mint (but for a scratch in a corner) for the low low price of fifty squid. My girlfriend doesn't let me read it for more than ten minutes at a time though, for she's afraid I'll summon daemons. msn-wink.gif

Glad to know someone agrees with me. Thanks, Augustus. It means a lot. happy.png

His Black Legion boys in green details are legendary around these here parts, as are his conversion projects. Seriously, if there ever was a dedicated Chaos Lord that just rolls with Chaos, adding unit after unit to his army, it would be thamier. His Balefire Legion has garnered a huge following over the last three years, and interest is growing. Especially now that he's moving into 30K with them.

Please check out his WIP log here.

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?
It was because of the dark vengeance box set, the one chosen with the power maul, I really wanted to convert that model. I wanted to remove the helmet and make a model actually wearing the helmet, but I got all of the chosen not just that model, and then I had a few marine bits in my bitbox that I converted and then, well it was practically a small warband so... Well it kind of snowballed from there.(oh and I still haven't gotten around to actually converting that model yet)
and also appeasing the dark gods by sacrificing a lot of loyalist marines

2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?
Right when the dark vengeance box came out so around 2012 which 6th edition, and my main passion of the hobby is converting then on a close second is painting and after all that then is the actual playing, so didn't get a lot of games in back then. But now I am playing more but still not very good, but atleast my models look cool while I lose.

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?
Black legion ofc, and why you never go wrong with black and spikes, it appeals to my awesome sense of style, really like the dark feel of them. And after I started listening to the Horus Heresy audiobooks it means even more to me, the incredible amount of fluff there is to get inspired by. So much you can build upon, which I did with balefire legion, they are former black legion, really wanted to keep the base feel of them, but can't help adding my own twist to them.

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?
Building and converting, making unique miniatures and really immersing myself in the 40k universe. Mostly I convert models that I feel could need improvements, I have a million ideas that is screaming for creation, I have a to do list that should be done sometime in the 41st millennium (if I pick up the pace a bit) there are exceptions, if I like the model as it was originally designed I build it as intended but I do tend to convert 98% of my models more or less, its the details that makes the difference, one of the most important aspects of the hobby is the community, friends to play with swap wartales with and exchange ideas with, IM very lucky to live here in northern Sweden, the local gaming community here is unlike anything I ever seen before, tons of friendly people always up for helping, trading bits and just in general friendly bunch very welcoming.

5.) What is your play style?
Chaotic! IM not a mighty warlord yet, but I am on the path to glory, bit first I need to gather a even grander army.
I have come a long way, but IM not really that good yet, I tend to do a lot of miss calculations and get a bit side tracked with slaughtering units instead of getting objectives, but atleast khorne is pleased.

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?
That's a hard one, its a tie, between during a best in show competition where a guy asked me where I bought my obiterator, and I could say, I sculpted that, and the other was my chaos lord on bike charging down a imperial guard army tanking around 60 shots on 2 up armor save then dying the next round when he fails dangerous terrain check and splats agents a low wall.

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?
Started a few others started a 30k sons of horus I need to paint and Started a small amount of traitor guards. I plan on getting tallest a few of all units that is currently in the chaos space marine codex, and then I expanded with some chaos demons traitor guards and going try my hand at some dark mechanicum too, but its pretty much just a extension of my chaos space marine army

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?
Abaddon the despoiler, the warmaster himself. The fluff behind that character is epic, and the Same of time he have sieved one of the oldest space marines there is. And his crusades ageist the imperium each one a blow to a already defeated foe, and with the talon of horus that tale is something I really look forward too.

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?
Easy, the talon of horus, it is a great work of art, and any aspiring champion should read/listen to that book. Can't wait for the next in what is clearly going to be a part of a epic series. I listen to a lot of audiobooks while I build and paint and after the first 15minutes of this book I was looking forward to the next in the series, can't do any spoilers but as I said I highly recommend it.

10.) Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?
Collect a army that you love, that is important, if you find the models cool and interesting it will make your gaming and painting experience even better. And above all have fun!

Good stuff, Thamier.

I put to you my two regular questions...

Good stuff, Thamier.

the first question is easy :)

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/FD33CAF3-AD9F-442A-ADD2-F8DE4430329A.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/141DACFB-4B11-4020-A81B-4AD83E2B2F39.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/754E5B29-5482-46D1-B99E-8884801BBBE2.jpg

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad269/thamier/work%20in%20progress/4968CA47-5E6D-4161-8605-DEB8C6BEDD09.jpg

my Abaddon model, i had so mich fun building that one converting it and think its the best painted model i have and added bonus is that he has won me a few prizes so my chaos army could grow a bit ;)

but this is defently my favorite model and character so very proud of this guy.

2nd question that is a bit hard, i thought maybe to buy and build a warlord titian, but no my dream project is finishing my chaos space marine army. so i am working on my dream project, only wish i had more time and would live forever so i would get to finish it some day ;)

i have so many ideas for builds that are qued upp for the legion, i have my sons of horus i started i want to build into my 40k army and then i have plans on everything from custom sorcere to warhound titans planned, just need time to fix it.

Hey Thamier, great interview. A couple of years ago I was looking on google images for chaos lords on bikes, seeing your krannon conversion inspired me to try my own/copy your idea the best I could and made me aware of Bolter & Chainsword. I now love kit bashing and converting, it is one of my favourite aspects of the hobby, and seeing the Balefire Legion grow keeps inspiring me to improve my painting and modelling, so thanks for posting your work. Your scratch built obliterator is very impressive, and it was cool seeing your work join the ranks of the Eternal Hunt, do you have any plans to start scratch building a knight or war hound as you have hinted? Cheers, Darkroy.

Hey Thamier, great interview. A couple of years ago I was looking on google images for chaos lords on bikes, seeing your krannon conversion inspired me to try my own/copy your idea the best I could and made me aware of Bolter & Chainsword. I now love kit bashing and converting, it is one of my favourite aspects of the hobby, and seeing the Balefire Legion grow keeps inspiring me to improve my painting and modelling, so thanks for posting your work. Your scratch built obliterator is very impressive, and it was cool seeing your work join the ranks of the Eternal Hunt, do you have any plans to start scratch building a knight or war hound as you have hinted? Cheers, Darkroy.

wow Darkroy thank you for the kind words, very happy that you found my projects helpfull, your words realy made my day, i wish you the best of luck with your conversions and would love to see your models. as for knight and warhournd i started on both and im hoping i get more time for them, but right now they are on the back burner. the knight is "done" but need to have a mould cast of the parts so cant assemble or paint it yet, and the warhound jist takes so long so i need to get my current stuff done and a few others before returning to that project ;)

He's a veteran of the long war, a follower of khorne, and his deeds speak for themselves - but still deserve mentioning. Because seriously guys and gals: Biohazard's conversions and kitbashes are the stuff of legend. The guy is half-way in kitbashing his own Warhound titan. Please enjoy Biohazard's WIP thread here, and his interview here:

1.) How have you become a Chaos Lord?
I used to love reading the old Fighting Fantasy books when I was young, the dark artwork and stories really spoke to me. (I may have had issues as an 8 year old) Then one day I was in a newsagent and saw issue 176 of White Dwarf. I picked it up, leafed through it and was blown away by the miniatures. I got the 2nd Edition 40k for my Christmas that year and proceeded to destroy the minis inside with my airfix enamel paints. A chaos army followed about a year later and I've never really looked back.

2.) When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?
In the early days myself and my buddy would 'play' together (by completely misinterpreting and making up rules) but both of us only had the starter box armies (complete with cardboard cut out ork dread) Mine were almost painted as Ultramarines as were his. It felt wrong to have these guys fighting each other so I decided to look for another army. The easiest option would have been Orks as we had the two sets but they didn't appeal to me so much then.

I'd fallen in love with the Mark Gibbons full page illustration of Kargos Bloodspitter in the Codex Imperialis and then the WD cover of the Khorne terminator sealed the deal as to which path I would choose. I traded my marines and orks from the box to another friend for a small army mostly consisting Space Crusade chaos marines and took it from there. Even though we made the rules up as we went I still always lost? Hmm....was always great fun though.

3.) Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?
Ha, now do I really need to answer that!? smile.png World Eaters are and will probably always be my favourite legion. I feel the same as many Khornates that the direction they've gone in recent years away from the more martial, proud warriors into raving lunatics is a little bland but I think on some level it still works. Almost.

4.) What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?
First and foremost is converting, I've ruined many models over the years by being a little too ambitious in chopping them up. At the same time its how I've learned to build my army to fit my vision of their background. That's another really big part of the hobby for me, the lore and artwork that accompanies it have always inspired me. As mentioned above it was basically a piece of art that led to me still building (and sometimes even painting) World Eaters.

5.) What is your play style?
CHAAAAAARGE!!! Then get shot to bits before combat. I'm a fairly poor tactician so just bomb across the table as quickly as possible and hope that some stuff survives to do some damage. Khorne Daemonkin is an absolute godsend for my play style ha. I do like to keep my list to fit the fluff though although I don't win very often. Or ever really.

6.) What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?
The day I put my almost completed Gorehound Titan on the table for its first apocalypse game. I'd been building this guy for almost 2-3 years on and off from countless bits and kits and it performed brilliantly in its first game taking out a Shadowsword, a Necron Tesseract Vault and a Storm Raven. Then it got knocked off the table at the end and smashed into a lot of bits. sad.png It will return though. Oh yes it WILL return. Hobby time and definitely space has taken a hit since my daughter arrived (she stole my man cave!) but I am planning on clawing back a space somewhere in the house to allow me to be a bit more productive.

7.) Do you collect and play any other armies?
I have to confess to being a bit of an impulsive buyer. I have a Dark Angels army that's seen the table only once. I also have plans for a small Lamenters force, I'm a big fan of the Blood Angels but really don't want to paint another red armoured army. I'll get to them eventually. Maybe. Lately I've been hoarding kits to build a walker heavy Ork army as well those I have a few kits for a Khorne heavy AoS army as well. These are all distraction projects for when I burn out a little on my World Eaters.

8.) Which is your favorite Chaos character?
Favourite character hmmm, I'll have to say Kargos Bloodspitter even though there's very little background story for him. Like I say that pic in Codex Imperialis with the quote beneath it. Something about embracing death without regret as he's embraced life without fear is what sold me on Chaos and World Eaters specifically. It's all his fault. Blame him.

9.) Which is your favorite Black Library publication?
This is where I break from Khorne ever so slightly and have to say the Word Bearers omnibus. They were actually the first Black library books I read and I loved them. Especially the Anointed oh and there's a really cool scene in one of the books where the Dark Apostle summons Bloodletters to battle a horde of Genestealers.....awesome. biggrin.png
I also really like the Iron Warriors books and of course ADB's Night Lords series. In fact anything by ADB.

10.) Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?
Never be afraid to try and make the vision in your head a reality. I spend way too many hours daydreaming about conversions and scratching notes and ideas onto any piece of paper/desk/toilet cubicle I can find. Most of these ideas will never see the light of day but every now and then something will grab me such as the Gorehound and I just have to start chopping plastic.

There's a lot to be said for asking for feedback as well. A fresh set of eyes looking at a model you've been working on for days can help you see what it is that wasn't quite working for you. These forums are a goldmine for feedback with some insanely talented brothers and sisters on here. All of them I'm sure are more than happy to pass on some tips or tricks they've discovered along the way. Best bit of advice I can really muster though is always have fun. Its such a cliche but I've met people who take the game/hobby far too seriously and I feel they're really missing out. Oh, one more thing.
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

Biohazard! How come you hadn't been interviewed earlier? Excellent stuff.

I really must catch up on your army thread.

And an additional couple of questions to a fellow Fighting Fantasy fan:

III. Which of the books was your favourite?

IV. Has anything from the books inspired you in 40k? A warlord Balthus Dire or sorcerer Zharadan Marr at any time?

I'm just honoured to have been interviewed now buddy. :)

My favourite model so far has to be my Chaos Knight that I'm working on at the moment although you asked for complete models, that would have to be my latest Terminator Lord. Lord Turel Phobos, I've still to work out his fluff fully.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/00F03F48-1699-42E9-8BD9-4AEFB9E0AD4C.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/753F850C-8E51-4476-B015-61D21D084A12.jpg

As for dream project. It would have to be turning the Warlord Titan into a Chaos Banelord. That has always been one of my favourite models and I'd love to see it to 40k scale.

My favourite book was always Deathtrap Dungeon, I still have it actually. I hadn't actually thought about it before but now you've mentioned using some of the Demonic Three as characters you're giving me some ideas hmmmmm ;)

For the first question Id have to say yes. There's a few things I look at now and wish I'd done something a little different with them. Especially my berserker models, I feel they look a little dated now so I'd like to build some newer squads. As for other factions as I mention above I have a rough idea in my head for a reasonably small Ork force. Obviously that's a chat for another place but I think I can do a lot with their style.

Ah no my friend, you're thinking of Lord Malek Deimos. My overall WE Lord. I built him a while back and Kraut challenged me to paint him at the same time he was painting Lorimar. We have spoke of tying the backstories together in some way. Although I was happy with Deimos build at the time I feel like I rushed him a little and have wanted to revisit him. I have some plans for his facemask especially. ;)

This is Malek Deimos as he stands now.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/794A6079-E160-4481-8760-353716728891.jpg

Both lords there have loyalist heads, no? Sternguard and (new) tactical? They both look very good on CSM too! :tu:

I can't for the life of me remember who the third of the Demonic Three was...Dire, Marr and...?

I'll have to read The Trolltooth Wars again! :D

Augustus, thanks buddy, like I say though I have a few ideas to really push him on and show him for the true high handed slayer he is. I want him to really stand out amongst his brethren as the iconic leader.

Keirdale, good spot on both those heads. :tu:

And Zagor is the 3rd I'm sure. ;)

Ah. 2016. To many, it's just another number, the passage of the years like sands in a hourglass. But for one, it is more than that. For Uveron, 2016 is the Year of the Renegade. He has an absolutely massive army whose continued progress is recorded here, and frequently posts battle reports with his Renegades and Heretics army here. So, join us as we pick his brain about Chaos, Chaos, and then some Chaos...

How did you become a Chaos Lord?

Well, portents were strong, as a kid in the UK the first WD I got was WD 217, which was the start of the new Realm of Chaos Book for Fantasy (with the multipart plastic warriors). In 40k at this time I was an Ork player happily playing the 2nd War of Armageddon missions from the 2nd edition box.  Then after a few months of that, my gaming group decided to get into Fantasy and I decided that I would collect CHAOS Dwarfs, and for a few years my armies grew, and it included some Fantasy Chaos Warrior kits to help my embattled dwarfs. But in the summer of 1999 I put my Chaos Dwarfs away and became a Vampire Counts Player…

In 40K I carried on playing Orks though the 3rd War for Armageddon (becoming a Speed Freak during the war itself), and at some point I started a Guard army. But in 2002 I was reading my White Dwarf and the article on the Death Guard caught my eye, one of my mates was playing a CSM army at that point and I realized with some of the Space Marines I had picked up from the 3rd ed box and the 2nd edd box, and bits from my Chaos Dwarfs and Vampire counts I could have a Death Guard army built in days... And that’s what happened, I then found a whole pile of daemons and tanks and the old metal plague marines at a wargaming fair I attended with my Uncle (who was into WW2 stuff, but also ran my D&D campaign).  

At this point I feel hard into Chaos, Fantasy had its new line of Chaos army books appear, and I started collecting them as well… In fact most of my army was built to work in both systems, it all was heavily converted and my grand plan is that I would be the small army I could take to University with me... And I did, though I made one trip to the local GW store in Stains, UK, got the cold shoulder from the staff and gave up... At this point I fell out the hobby. I spent the next 8 years spending my weekends pretending to be a Vampire, or Mage… or even a Vampire Mage…

When did you start to play the Chaos Space Marines/Daemons/Lost&Damned?

Picking up from the last question, in 2010 I was marred living in Oklahoma, USA and was about to start work out on drilling rigs around the USA, my wife suggested I get a hobby for when I was away (and couldn’t spend my weekends as at LARPS), so after a few months of planning I returned to play 40K I picked up some Space marines and started building my Ultramarine Successor chapter. It took about a month of painting and writing fluff before I got my first game in, against another Ultramarine player. For a few days following the game I dealt with the guilt of betray having fought against fellow brother marines, and then in a fit of rage I removed the Aquila’s from the army and re-pledged myself to the dark gods.

From this point I have re-claimed many of the models from my army’s I collected in the UK. And now have over 10,000 points of Chaos Space Marines, Daemons and Lost and the Damned.

Which is your favorite traitor legion or Chaos warband, and why?

Difficult question.

I love the Death Guard, they were the fluff that drew me to Chaos.

But the Iron Warriors have always had a very similar draw,  both legions are what I love about collecting Chaos. They feel very ‘Real’ they fight in a very matter of fact way, and they both let me paint in my preferred style (gritty and dirty)  

Beyond them, I favor the Thousand Sons, because I like Mages… (And they have the whole Undead thing going as well for an added kick) Plus Tzeentch is my favorite god.  (Followed by Nurgle). I also dig the whole fluff they developed, but I like them as individuals not as a whole legion. The Black Legion is also cool, but I doubt I will ever collect any as they play similar to the Iron Warriors.

A special mention is also needed for the Blood Pact. Chaos to me is more than just marines... I will come back to that later.

What do you like most of the Warhammer 40k hobby?

Everything?

For me the Hobby Is a Hydra, so many areas of interest.  From hanging out at a game store chatting about the new stuff, to the hours of painting time I have.  I enjoy it all it all helps me get away from my real life..

What is your play style?

I try and be a tactical chess like player.. I read the legendary topic “The way of the water warrior” many many times (it’s still on my quick links list). But I end up playing very aggressively and in your face rushing across the table. Even when using the CSM codex I do win quite a bit, so I suppose the tactical play is something I manage to pull off..

What was your greatest achievement or favorite memory from your hobby career?

I don’t know, it’s a work in progress?

Up to this point, I think oddly it may be this! I don’t enter many competitions and don’t think I have finished a project... So I don’t get a great feeling of achievement much, but it’s not something I seek out to find either.  But when people walk up to my army and spend time looking at my conversions and complementing me on how good my army looks... that’s a great feeling.

Do you collect and play any other armies?

I have collected Orks, and Imperial Guard (though most of my old Guard are now in my Renegades army, as are a few of my Orks..),  I have also collected Undead in WFB.. I also had most the warbands for Mordheim and Mobs Gorkamorka

But these days there is just my Chaos Army. (But that includes 2 CSM army’s, Deamons and Lost and the Dammed so I have my hands full)

Which is your favorite Chaos character?

Big question!

I mean Honsou has to be listed, because, well, Storm of Iron set the tone for the whole of my current army. But I think actually Forrix steals the show for me. The Jaded Warrior sums up the long war to me in a way that makes me understand it.

Now outside of the Iron Warriors, Fabius Bile holds a special place in my heart.. And cannot wait to read the new books with him.

Which is your favorite Black Library publication?

I am an Iron Warrior, so any response other than Storm of Iron, would be a lie,

But I would say that Siege of Castellax has been the source of  much inspiration for my own army.  I also think the Gaunt’s Ghosts series is up there, as I was saying earlier, the Blood Pact are just great. Yes they are there to be killed by the Ghosts, but they had set my mind in what a ‘real’ chaos army would look like.

In the lesser known books, the novel Cadian Blood is a great story focusing on my second love (Death Guard)

Any advice for your fellow frater, any parting words of wisdom?

Enjoy yourself, build and paint things that you enjoy painting, play in a way that makes you happy! If that’s speed painting and playing in a very competitive way then good for you.. If the opposite that’s just as good!

Another good interview! Uveron, I guess you'll be vowing a lot in this year's ETL?

Archived