Datasheet Discussion: Malakim Phoros

Jolemai

bl.php?text=Datasheet%20Discussion:%20Malakim%20Phoros&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Each entry within our Codex is known as a Datasheet. However, there are a number of Datasheets found outside the Codex for the Blood Angels to use but to date, there is little discussion into their use and synergy with our forces. The aim of this article is to 1) share and impart our collective knowledge to our fellow captains and 2) to get some discussion going on the lesser-known potential boons to our forces. I want this thread to remain in flux and will happily edit the first post as people reply with their own ideas so we can get the optimal use out of each unit.

Further discussion guides can be found from post #6 onwards on the BA resource thread..

Disclaimer
  • The following unit is still legal, but in a publication that pre-dates our latest Codex. This means there are some clashes. 1) Where The Red Thirst is written, this should be swapped out for Furious Charge as this is essentially our current “Chapter Tactic” and is the common sense solution. Be aware that some people may try and use this rule as written on the command benefit for the Baal Strike Force Detachment, even though this interpretation is incorrect
  • 2) The rules were written at a time when there was only one BA publication and Lord of Ruin refers to Codex BA. Given that Datasheets in external publications are essentially designed to be slotted into the Codex, units such as Cassor the Damned should benefit. Additionally, the terminology has since changed to Faction. Again, this is the common sense solution
  • Also, as seen on our FAQ page, Phoros’s rules are currently being revised and an official errata should be out sometime next year (hopefully). Whilst these amendments are acceptable to most, some will view these as "homebrew" in the absence of a supporting errata so check with your gaming group/opponent first.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Availability
sml_gallery_62972_11847_15203.jpg
Malakim Phoros kitbash, sockwithaticket

Originally found on page 170 of Imperial Armour volume nine: The Badab War - Part One, his rules have since been updated (page nine) and it is these which you should use. Currently there is no model available (nor has there ever been), but he can be kitbashed quite easily from our plethora of bits for our Faction.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Rules

The following are taken from the update PDF linked above:

• As per the Captain entry from Codex Adeptus Astartes Blood Angels, but with ATK 4 and a 2+ save. HQ choice
  • Artificer Armour, The Glaive Encarmine (like a regular one but +1 STR on the charge), Catechist (12”, STR 8, AP 1, Pistol, Melta), frag and krak grenades, Iron Halo
  • Zealot, Independent Character, Lord of Ruin (any Codex: BA unit [see Disclaimer above] within 6” gains Hatred), Rage unto Death (when Phoros loses one or more wounds, his base attacks and strength are increased by 1 and he gains Rage for the remainder of the battle. Any unit he joins also gets Rage whilst he’s there), Bloodline of Sanguinius (this simply confirms that he is Faction: BA), The Red Thirst (see Disclaimer above), Warlord (always the army’s Warlord; his Warlord Trait being Lord of Ruin)

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Use

Malakim Phoros. This is what you get when you cross Lemartes with Gabriel Seth. First off, let’s take a look at his stats. At the start of the game he’s a regular Captain with five re-rollable attacks on the charge, striking at strength six (+1 for Furious Charge, +1 for his Glaive), and four attacks (one re-rollable) at strength four thereafter; all of which being completed at initiative five. If he has been wounded, this becomes seven re-rollable attacks on the charge hitting at strength seven. This is nuts and given how we can further enhance his combat prowess (Sanguinary Priest/Corbulo/Quickening/Unleash Rage/BSF), Phoros has the potential to become a monster. However, despite having a 2+ and a 4++, he only has a toughness of four so he’s going need an entourage and delivery system.
With no jump pack we’re looking at things like Assault Terminators (and thus a Land Raider/Stormraven/Caestus Assault Ram/Spartan) or a Command Squad (think of the storm shield build). Certainly, by giving Rage to that unit and giving Hatred to anything else within 6” you’ve got the start of a decent combat build with “Death Star” potential. Of course you can further mix this up. For example, take the Angels’ Fury Spearhead Force and put Phoros in a Drop Pod with, well, anything. Scouts and RAS suddenly become much more potent while our heavy hitters such the Furioso Librarian become extremely feared when they get all those re-rolls. You could even use Vanguard Veterans in this manner. Sadly he won’t do much for Death Company but you can’t have everything.
As well as being a beatstick, Phoros is a decent force multiplier himself. As a HQ choice he can combo well with any of the following: Captain/Corbulo/Cypher/Librarian/Mephiston/Sanguinary Priest/Seth, and this in turn can make a very decent “Death Star” even with a squad of RAS to keep the points down. (Just note that a Sanguinary Priest/Corbulo can make it difficult activate Rage unto Death...) Other than that, you use him as you would Lemartes: put him in the front rank until “activated” and then have some fun.
Lastly we’ve got his gun. It’s basically a meltagun and so has the potential to used in “Meltacide” or suicide Sternguard squads like people used to do with Tycho. So Phoros, a Priest and a bunch of melta weapons in a Drop Pod can work well (and better than Tycho does now) – just make sure he’s adequately supported as dropping your Warlord into range of the enemy alone isn’t the best choice...

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Summary

There you have it; one quick review on the Chapter Master of the Lamenters. As we use these models and generate more experience, please reply below with further comments so I can update the thread. Keeping the thread in flux is the best option as it keeps everything fresh.

As always, I eagerly await your thoughts.

Ah, Malakim Phoros. I didn't even know about him until now. And being from forgeworld, it makes sense why he's a chaplain with the stats of a captain (rip reclussiarchs).

While it's unfortunate he doesn't have/can't take a jump pack, given the fact that his rules are insane, I can see a lot of people working around that fact with Stormravens transporting him and his retinue into the fight.

I think he'd be best employed with a storm shield centric command squad like you mentioned in battleforged lists. This gives him the +1WS, FNP and ablative invulnerable wounds all in an elites choice instead of tying up your second HQ choice and potentially an elites choice (depending on his retinue) giving him the same thing.

And while some would be tempted to keep him away from any sanguinary priests/novitates, I think once your opponent learns what his rules are, they will want him off the table so bad you would be wishing he had FNP :P

"striking at strength six (+1 for Furious Charge, +1 for his Glaive), and four attacks (one re-rollable) at strength four thereafter"

Does the glaive only give +1S on the charge or should it be S5 thereafter?

Good write up. He's certainly interesting, although the lack of a delivery system is a bit of a kicker.

D

"striking at strength six (+1 for Furious Charge, +1 for his Glaive), and four attacks (one re-rollable) at strength four thereafter"

Does the glaive only give +1S on the charge or should it be S5 thereafter?

Good write up. He's certainly interesting, although the lack of a delivery system is a bit of a kicker.

D

Yep, just on the charge (as mentioned in the rules spoiler). I can try to make it a little more clearer if you think it would help?

Since we were speaking about Grey Knight on another Topic, i must admit that fielding Seth+DCTycho+Phoros is quite the beatstick^^. While Phoros doesn't have jump pack, doesn't mean that he can't join unit that have ones....pack him with a sanguinary guard.

But, i must say, that his priority targets must be everything on 3+ if you pack him with Sanguinary Guard, and, use wisely is usefull 12" melta.

Otherwise, you can pack him within a 10-9 assault squad with/whitout jump pack, and drop pod/rhino, and unleash him upon multiple targets.

I personally think that this HQ is worth is point, and very usefull, his 12" melta, able to bring some "surprise" to unaware ennemies... =)

As written Malakim Phoros's Warlord trait only affects units from Codex: Blood Angels. So units like Cassor or Captain Karlaen from SoB or other publications do not benefit.

If you want to get really literal it is debatable whether any units actually benefit because our army book no longer is titled Codex: Blood Angels but Codex Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels.

As written Malakim Phoros's Warlord trait only affects units from Codex: Blood Angels. So units like Cassor or Captain Karlaen from SoB or other publications do not benefit.

If you want to get really literal it is debatable whether any units actually benefit because our army book no longer is titled Codex: Blood Angels but Codex Adeptus Astartes - Blood Angels.

I think it could be assumed to include the blood angels "faction" as a whole, rather than codex etc.

Obviously this would take a kind word from the opponent, but if you're using Phoros you probably aren't in a competitive setting anyway.

He works quite nicely with Vanguard Vets and Corbulo - turning them into a strange DC Hybrid with WS/I/A coming out of the wazoo.

The more I think of it the more a Melta Command Squad makes sense.... :D

I've not run Phoros with the new dex, but previously I found him most fun in a Land Raider (season to taste) with a squad of Vanguard. The vanguard gave the flexibility to upgrade as much or as little as needed, and provided bodies to help out.

I'd probably be inclined to do the same now, but also throw in a Valour's Edge Priest in as well, just to really obscene it all up. Couple of storm shields, meltabombs, scatter power weapons and a fist in the vanguard, and watch it mulch.

• 4 months later...

Thread updated!

• Added photo of sockwithaticket's Phoros kitbash
  • Expanded the Disclaimer to include the concern of Quixus
  • Minor tweaks, corrections.

Archived