BA-centric FAQ Compilation

Jolemai

The following thread is a compilation of all the FAQs needed for our Faction. These include those from GW and those involving the FW units from the Imperial Armour series.

If you have had an email response from FW regarding a question not seen here, please reply below and I'll add it to the compilation.

Generic FAQs:

the following are Rulebook/Codex/Supplement FAQs for Faction:BA;

40k Rulebook 1.1 - last updated: January 2015

Imperial Armour volume two Second Editionlast updated: 20/12/2013

BA-centric Forgeworld FAQs

The following are specific queries regarding the FW units and Faction:BA;

Q: What HQ is designated Keeper of the Relics following the removal of the Reclusiarch entry from our Codex?

A: Chaplain.

Source

Q: Can the Blood Angels take a Stormeagle Assault Gunship?

A: Yes.

Source

Q: Can I take a Warhound Titan, Reaver Titan or a Marauder Super-heavy as my LoW choice and if so, do they become Faction: BA?

A: Yes you can take them as a LoW choice. However, Titans are Faction: Legio Titanicus and Marauder Bombers/Destroyers are considered to be Faction: Astra Millitarum.

Source 1 and source 2

Q: Does my Dreadnought need to automatically disembark a Lucius-pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod in the manner of a regular Drop Pod?

A: No.

Source

Q: Do the Blood Angels have access to Contemptor Dreadnoughts, Mortis Contemptors and Mortis Dreadnoughts?

A: No. The Blood Angels have their own pattern Contemptor in Imperial Armour Apocalypse

Source

Q: Can BA Terminators take the the Land Raider Achilles, Helios, Proteus and Promethius as Dedicated Transports?

A: Yes

Source

Jolemai, about the Contemptor Dreads; I recall FW email,that I have got few months ago in regards of rule explanation where they did say "sorry not for BA".

Correct; we have the BA-pattern Comptemptor in IA: Apoc, but not the generic ones. There should be a link to an email that says that in the OP...

One thing I would like to add, that I have discovered couple moments ago while on phone with FW

Q: What does replace keeper of the armory in BA codex since BA codex has lost Reclusiarch in transition from 6th to 7th edition?

A: Any chaplain model

Q: Does it include named chaplain character ?

One happy Astorath :)

I must add that this has been a phone call thus I do not have any evidence, however I persume FW is consistant in these kind of answers

Ps. Sorry for typos I am on phone :/

One thing I would like to add, that I have discovered couple moments ago while on phone with FW

Q: What does replace keeper of the armory in BA codex since BA codex has lost Reclusiarch in transition from 6th to 7th edition?

One happy Astorath smile.png

I must add that this has been a phone call thus I do not have any evidence, however I persume FW is consistant in these kind of answers

Cheers for that. I guess this also implies that Lemartes counts?

... and this is where I feel the answer is incorrect. Ignoring that as per the rules they aren't Chaplains (in the same way a Blood Champion isn't a Veteran in a Command Squad), it allows us to get around the HQ tax for Relic of the Armoury by taking an Elite's choice.

That's arguably more of a tax, though, isn't it?

An HQ choice is compulsory, you were going to have to purchase one anyway, so, if you want relics of the armoury, it might as well be a Chaplain. Our Elites section is full to the brim withuseful, hard hitting units and it seems that most people have bemoaned not having enough slots to utilise everything they want from that section. Taking Lemartes means you have used  one of those precious slots on a single infantry model and you've still got to purchase an HQ for the army.

One happy Astorath smile.png

Cheers for that. I guess this also implies that Lemartes counts?

... and this is where I feel the answer is incorrect. Ignoring that as per the rules they aren't Chaplains (in the same way a Blood Champion isn't a Veteran in a Command Squad), it allows us to get around the HQ tax for Relic of the Armoury by taking an Elite's choice.

Very good point,however I am afraid Lemartes would not count as Keeper of the Relics; due to rule wording " ...it must also include a Keeper of Relics purchased

as an HQ choice."

PS. very good thread Jolemai !

So I received this yesterday:

Dear Sir/Madam

I have a question regarding the Deimos-pattern Predator Executioner.

In Imperial Armour volume two Second Edition and Imperial Armour Apocalypse, the Deimos-pattern Relic Predator entry does not permit the Blood Angels Chapter to take them. Here, the plasma destroyer is an upgrade. In Imperial Armour volume twelve, there is a similar entry called the Deimos-pattern Predator Executioner which permits the Blood Angels to take them (similarly, the rules for this tank can be found on the model’s page on your website, but not the download page).

I was wondering which was correct? It is simply a case that the latter two publications simply compressed all the Deimos tanks into one entry and thus overrule the earlier publications?

Kind Regards

Jolemai

Hi,

Thats a very good questions and certainly a head scratcher!

We at Forge World encourage the use of “house rules” by this we mean if a rule is unclear or may have multiple meanings or indeed different meanings to different people, we would say use the time old tradition of a 4+ rolloff or what we prefer more is to follow the theme and storyline of what would happen if the battle were a real conflict.

I have had a good chat with the team and plowed through the rules book fighting off Daemon and Dark eldar to find you an answer to your query.

If you want to have a Deimos Predator tank in your army (painted Blood Angels this would look COOL) then why not. If any appoints question it then there may be an issue but it would still be an awesome looking predator 

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

Take from that what you will.

I'd say if you bring IA:12 with you to a game and can show an opponent where it says C:BA can use the tank if there's any dispute, then you're golden. It's literally there in black and white.

Same with IA:2 and the IA: Apocalypse for Contemptors, you can't use the ones from the former, but can from the latter (slight difference in that there's greater divergence between the two listings in this example).

Then you can always fall back on the old: with the amount of obscene stuff running around in regular 40k, does my ability to include this tank really make my army unplayable in your eyes?

• 4 weeks later...

Q: Is the new Vindicator Laser Destoryer able to purchase Over Charged Engines for 10pts in a similar vein to the Vindicator from Codex Blood Angels?

A: "In accordance with Imperial decree 6789123476924 I have forwarded your rules questions on to the writing scriviners who will take them into account for upcoming corrective documents (FAQ's).

In the mean time I would recommend that you discuss these questions with your gaming group and see what great answers you can come up with! Don't forget there is always The Golden Rule that will help you out in most situations."

Q: Is the new Vindicator Laser Destoryer able to purchase Over Charged Engines for 10pts in a similar vein to the Vindicator from Codex Blood Angels?

A: "In accordance with Imperial decree 6789123476924 I have forwarded your rules questions on to the writing scriviners who will take them into account for upcoming corrective documents (FAQ's).

In the mean time I would recommend that you discuss these questions with your gaming group and see what great answers you can come up with! Don't forget there is always The Golden Rule that will help you out in most situations."

Thanks for checking this, its the first thing I thought of when I read the "may purchase appropriate vehicle upgrades" bit.

To be honest, your not really going to want to overcharge this thing anyway, it has a silly range and it works best if it doesnt move at all.

• 1 month later...

Well Leave it FW to give us this great answer.

Can the Caestus Assault Ram carry troops with Jump packs? Its rules say it carries 10 models and rules for bulk don’t apply, and model with Jump Packs count as bulky

That's a very good questions and certainly a head scratcher!

We at Forge World encourage the use of “house rules” by this we mean if a specific rule is unclear or may have multiple meanings or indeed different meanings to different people, we would say use the time old tradition of a 4+ roll off or what we prefer more is to follow the theme and storyline of what would happen if the battle were a real conflict. As long as your opponent is okay with you using the chosen rules or models then we say have fun!

For use of Forge World models and rules in events and tournaments we recommend getting in touch with the referees or the tournament coordinator to confirm your request to use the chosen rules and models.

In the mean time we would suggest having a chat with your gaming friends to see what awesome answers you can agree between yourselves till an official FAQ or rules update has been issued.

If there is anything further we can do to assist you, or if you have any queries about the information we have requested or provided, please telephone us.

Regards,

Forge World

I emailed FW about Malakim Phoros back in March, and received a reply of an even less use smile.png

Hey Forge World team! I was just wondering a few things about how the rules Malakim Phoros, Lamenters Chapter Master, interact with the most recent update for the Blood Angels codex.
There are two things specifically that I'd love to know. The first is that he has The Red Thirst rule. Previously, the way this worked was obvious, but now that The Red Thirst is a command benefit granted by a formation of detachment, it's understandably less clear.
Would this mean that he would grant his detachment the +1 Initiative on the charge? Or would he (and he alone) have the +1I, or would it simply do nothing?
The other question that I have is regarding how Malakim Phoros can take an Honour Guard squad, where it states that this HG Squad doesn't take a FOC slot. Would this transfer over to the Command Squad that now occupies an Elite Slot?
Thanks, and keep up the awesome work!

Hi,
Thank you for your email. We are currently looking at what errata is required for our books due to the release of new codex's and the latest edition of the 40k rules. Once this is completed, we will release any required updates on PDF, via the downloads on our website. As this is a massive under taking it will take quite some time to complete.

Regards,
Forge World

• 2 weeks later...

I had an email confirming we can't use it (without using the vanilla Dex)

Hey there Alisdair,

The Skyhammer Annihilation Force datasheet has the Space Marine Faction, so they wouldn't benefit from any of the Blood Angels' special rules (they would benefit from the Chapter Tactics special rule from Codex: Space Marines instead).

The Space Marine Faction icon on the datasheet means they are Space Marine Assault Squads and Devastator Squads in the Skyhammer Annihilation Force, chosen from Codex: Space Marines; although those are units that also exist in the Blood Angels army list, other Space Marine Formations will include units that only exist in Codex: Space Marines, because there is a Space Marine Faction icon at the top.

So as they stand, the Formations in Codex: Space Marines are as available to Blood Angels collectors as a Land Speeder Storm or an Ironclad Dreadnought from Codex: Space Marines is – those datasheets don't exist with a Blood Angels Faction icon on them, and they don't appear in Codex: Blood Angels, but if you wanted to paint some red and use them as part of an Unbound army you certainly could do.

If your opponent was happy for them to use Blood Angels rules with them, we certainly wouldn't stop them doing it in the privacy of their own home, but according to the rules these are Space Marine Formations, not Blood Angels Formations.

I hope this clarifies things for you,

Best wishes,

Sophie

Archived