willies heresy death guard

Warmasterwillie

hi guys. 

ive got a few snaps of 2 squads that i have already painted up. 

the first is a heavy flamer unit that was the very first squad i painted for the army. as a result there not the best. the amour is a flat off white with more subtle weathering.

the rest of the pics are of the first tac squad ive painted. this time i went for a zenithial  "sorry for the spelling" style high light with my air brush. i thought this came out a lot better and really added to the grimey effect. i went a little mad with the weathering on these guys as i thought being despoilers the would probably be more beaten up than the rest. seams to work really well with mark 2's and 3's and im hoping the Technic will work as well on the mark 4's im paint now.  

let me know what you think guys, im considering adding some blood splatter on the despoilers but i'm not sure if it would be a bit OTT with all the weathering. 

hopefully should have more pics for the second tactical squad tomorrow with any luck. 

i am using the betrayal at calth minis but using as many forge world bits as i have. 

peace 

Good moneing comrades,

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/49987124.jpg

Couldn't resist. :P

let me know what you think guys, im considering adding some blood splatter on the despoilers but i'm not sure if it would be a bit OTT with all the weathering. 

I think, with the weathering as it is atm, blood spatter is probably best not applied or it'll make the models a little too busy. I think they look just fine being grotty as they are. 

Black cohort I first did them just for fluff reasons, but once I had them built up I knew I had to use the little bugers, even if there not the most effective on the table. Plus I just can't resist flamers!

Hahha Olis you can't beat abit of hello hello

I probably won't go full splatter, but I'm still pondering maybe just a little blood for the blood God on the chain swords. Havnt used any of it in so long even if these guys are future followers of the galaxy's smelliest grandad

Black cohort I first did them just for fluff reasons, but once I had them built up I knew I had to use the little bugers, even if there not the most effective on the table. Plus I just can't resist flamers!

Hahha Olis you can't beat abit of hello hello

I probably won't go full splatter, but I'm still pondering maybe just a little blood for the blood God on the chain swords. Havnt used any of it in so long even if these guys are future followers of the galaxy's smelliest grandad

The biggest issue with a squad of heavy flamers is getting them to the target, no one that has been hit by 4-5 heavy flamers at the same time (especially if they have shred) would question their effectiveness.  not even 2+ save guys want to roll that many dice.

These Death Guard are really nice, especially the weathering and the basing you've chosen for them which definitely makes them stand out more. What materials did you use for basing?

Looking forward to see how your MKIVs turn out. Keep up the good work.

These Death Guard are really nice, especially the weathering and the basing you've chosen for them which definitely makes them stand out more. What materials did you use for basing?

Looking forward to see how your MKIVs turn out. Keep up the good work.

why thank you, on the flamer squads i used a green stuff pres-mold you can really see it in the photo but its a ruined temple pattern.  as for the tac squad i cut up pits from the ruins of osgilith set. the leaves i ordered from base crafts id have a look on there site they have a lot of cool stuff. 

Quick update on the second tac squad.

After a list change on the advice of one of my fellow heretics the sergeant will be joining the despoilers

Just have to do the metal and some red cables and eyes then it's high light and then my personal fav...... Weather

Think I'll go a little more subtle as I want these guys to look a bit more like fresh recruits

hi guys, painting of the second tac squad is coming along slowly. With any luck will be posting some progress pics tonight or tomorrow. Don’t have any pics but I am now the proud owner of my first medusa artillery tank hoping to get to build and paint it mid next month. Juggling an 8 month old and hobbying is quite a task :-) after I have finished with this squad I think I’ll be doing my Deredeo Dreadnought that has sat on the table for six months. Think I need a break with painting rank and file troops.

For the Dreadnought ive been pondering using the hairspray, technic instead of the sponge technic but trying something a little different. I was thinking of a 2 layer hairspray method. Black basecoat + metal then hairspray + rust then hairspray and then the same colour scheme but I was thinking of an enamel wash over the top to give it the grime. Or do you guys think it might be to much? I do have a tendency to go a little mad devil.gif

Just a quick thanks for the motivation guys, ive never gotten this far with a hobby project before as I usually get distracted by new releases.

Soric is used the excat same paint as i used to the aroumr colour. plus side of the airbrush is the pigment comes out slightly muted so its realy easy to use the same paint as a highlight. think this would only work with very pale paints though.

good morning comrades! 

finaly have some more pics, have been a bit busy with rearing a small child and moving offices for work.

so first on my list of updates is my dred. i'm very pleased with its progress and bearing in mind I've only spent about 8 hours on it the effect is quite nice. i used the air brush paint scheme but this time i used a very heavy helping of AK interactive rust streaks. i must stress you have to have a decent layer of gloss coat on the model before using it as it will stain the color of the model. 

i decided to use the hairspray chipping effect on this model and ill put my hand by now and admit i cocked it up quite badly! if you like the technique and want multiple layers, you must! have a layer of hard coat in between. i did not, and paid for it. first i used black and metallic under coat, then hairspray then velljo rust. then more hairspray then the main color. 

if you wont to do it right start chipping after you have the rust color down, the give it a good layer of vanish then the second layer of hairspray. if you dont, have you start chipping at it, you'll take all the layers away including the base coats!

despite the mess i made of it at first i think i managed to recover it. 

must stress that the dred is still WIP. still have to finish the base and paint the eyes and missiles. 

next up is the second tactical squad. the sergeant will be going to the despoiler squad and the special weapons will go to future  tactical support squads.  unfortunately this means i have to paint another 7 of them to get to the lucky number of 14. and another 3 despoilers as well. haven't even started on the missile launcher squad or the Medusa yet lol. but this squad is coming along nicely just have to do their bases and where ready to do :-)

and 7 marines base-coated

and last but not least.................. My HQ..... Marshal Durak Rask!

thats all for now, but will try and give you wonderfull hobby dudes anouther update a little quicker next time. 

let me know what you guys think about the AK interactive washed im considering useing them for the whole army! i love the effect they give realy grimey and mess perfect for the death guard! 

peace dudes!!!

why thanks charlo, still a work in progress thinks off adding an antenna and maybe some scopes.

ill looking into some of the other kits as well i think the DA heads might work well with the DG well :-)

Read my mind! The big face plates and small eyes nail it. Also some of the the IW ones.

• 1 month later...
Good evening brothers. 

at last i finally have some more images to share. i know its been awhile, but worth the wait i assure you. 

first up is my fished Medusa. im pleased to report this model went a hell of a lot smother than the dred did! as before i used the hairspray method. this time however, i made sure that i vanished in between the multiple layers. i cant stress more if your using this method and  you want more than one layer of chipping to do this. it will save you alot of pain. once again i used AK interactive enamel washes, i absolutely love these paints, if they wasn't so bloody expensive i would have used them on all my death guard. 

i just fished of the crew. you can see where the squad number usually is on the left shoulder pad on the other death guard there is a scull. the reason for this is eventually i wont to use all the squad numbers and it didn't feel right just leaving it blank. dont know if its particularly fully but i think it give the artillery crew a good separation from the rest of the army. ive got some rapier crews coming as well and ill be using the same squad marking on them as well. 

slight balls up here, the number on the shell being carried by the marine is white, but is black on the rest of the shells. probably should have had the Medusa close by so i could check lol

next up is the dred not a massive update on this one, just finished the base. 

now its time to show the first finished tac squad. its taken about 3 months but we are finally at lucky number 14! with the second batch of 7 i tried to add some variation in the squad. i deliberately left a few minis with minimal weathering hoping this would show that the squad has a few new recruits in there. i also used 2 washes in the recesses unlike the rest of army so far. the washes on the other minis was just a wash of sepia (heavily diluted with medium). on these i started as normal with the sepia but then went over it with a black wash as well. 

last but not least is Durak Rusk. hes have a fair bit of work done since the last update. i had being looking at the mini as it was for about 2 weeks and it just didn't sit right. one of the things i love about the HH is the HQ models. forge world dose such a fantastic job at making the named guys look so good, and this guy just looked like a bit of a lazy kit base by comparison. so i decided to go back and do some re sculpting of the face and find some cool part to make him stand out. first thing was to cut away at his face. fluff states this guy is realy badly scared. the next was hair, dont know if its fluffy or not i just liked the idea of this guy having long greasy hair. i then gave him a new eye. i liberated parts form the ad mech and scions kits for his back pack. i used an ad mech pistol had to give is pistol a different style. the only thing left to do is add some piping on his chest plate, something ive never done before but i think this mini  calls for it. 

thats it for now. i wont be painting Durak until i have everything else build and painted. i still have 4 despoilers to paint, to get to lucky 14. and 2 thud guns and 10 missile launcher heavy support marines. all of which are on there way. with any luck i should have a new more painted models to show you all in a few weeks.  

Archived